• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Thread For the Sal Romano/Gematsu Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I would, if they added Ridley and Mewtwo, and replaced Chrom with Lucina.
Ridley and Mewtwo could be in. Rosalina wasn't mentioned so we might have more newcomers and Mewtwo is a veteran so it wouldn't have been lited on this.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
If we assume that the leak is all the newcomers we have. And if it is all the newcomers we have... its disappointing.
My point exactly. People were dissapointed with the Brawl roster when it was leak. History will repeat itself. We've got a direct coming up in August and October, with three unannounced characters left, who are going to be getting their own trailers just like every other newcomer has so far. You better start really hoping for a miracle or accept it as it is.

@ Jigglymaster Jigglymaster
I personally like the line up we're getting as of right now.
Shulk is a very popular choice and a representative of an important new IP.
Chrom was obvious, whoever denies that was in denial the whole time. :p
Chorus Kids are going to be incredible. I'm working on a moveset that will show you all how amazing they'll be.
And I think we could get a surprise at the end of it all.
Oh Im sure Sakurai will find a way to make Chorus Kids a good character. What I said was people find the character dissapointing due to the fact that they are unfamiliar with them, such as myself. I for one don't like their design at all but that doesn't mean I can't grow to like them if Sakurai makes them look fun to play as, that is his goal afterall.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
@ Jigglymaster Jigglymaster
I personally like the line up we're getting as of right now.
Shulk is a very popular choice and a representative of an important new IP.
Chrom was obvious, whoever denies that was in denial the whole time. :p
Chorus Kids are going to be incredible. I'm working on a moveset that will show you all how amazing they'll be.
And I think we could get a surprise at the end of it all.
Mewtwo anyone?

People are getting disappointed yet we got Mega Man, Little Mac, Palutena, Pac-Man, and we're going to get Shulk.
This is the roster we wanted guys, minus K. Rool and Ridley.
And even then they aren't out of the picture just yet.
If we get one new DK character, I'll be content with this roster. If we get both K. Rool and Ridley, I'll be perfectly fine with the roster. If we don't get either but Ganondorf gets a total revamp, I'll also be fine with it.

If they're not in and Ganondorf isn't revamped, I'll be severely disappointed, mainly because DK deserves at least three reps for sure with his huge success in Returns and Tropical Freeze and Ganondorf is too iconic to just be a half-assed clone. Seeing a third Fire Emblem character get in over a third DK character annoys me.

The roster with Gematsu is fine, its just a bit lacking as only about 1/3 of the characters are all that interesting (Mega Man, Rosalina, Shulk, Little Mac, maybe Greninja) and Mii's had so much development put into them as well over other potential characters.

It won't stop me from buying the game, but it hurts the hype significantly and I may put off buying it a while.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I'm not too keen on Fire Emblem getting all this representation myself.
It's still a small series and DK and Metroid among others should be getting priority.

However missing one or two hype characters isn't really a deal breaker for me.
Expecting every big name character is only setting yourself up for disappointment.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
47 characters (49 including various Miis) in a fighting game of this magnitude is massive. And considering that all of these characters have customizable special moves, whether it's small customizations or wholesale move changes, that's a pretty diverse roster.

People complained when Game & Watch, Pichu, and Roy got in Melee instead of Wario, Diddy, and King Dedede. But no one remembers that because Melee was great. And now, people would complain if Game & Watch was cut, and people still ask for Roy back.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
From what @BluePsychic and @ staindgrey staindgrey have said, the whole alternate costume argument revolves around how fimiliar a person is with said character. Hal Jordan and John Stewart are two compltely different characters, but BluePsychic couldn't care less about comics.. and this is just a hunch, but I'd guess that staindgrey hasn't played the Mother series.

All things considered in that debate, I'm mosy definatly bias because of my love for the Mother games, and for my brother's love of Lucas in Brawl.

With The Sal leak is probably true, I'd say Lucas could be a good canidate for DLC.

And is a few months, we'll be laughing at what we discussed here... and at all the speculation.

Last edited:

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
My point exactly. People were dissapointed with the Brawl roster when it was leak. History will repeat itself. We've got a direct coming up in August and October, with three unannounced characters left, who are going to be getting their own trailers just like every other newcomer has so far. You better start really hoping for a miracle or accept it as it is.
We have directs coming up in a few months? For real?

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too keen on Fire Emblem getting all this representation myself.
It's still a small series and DK and Metroid among others should be getting priority.

However missing one or two hype characters isn't really a deal breaker for me.
Expecting every big name character is only setting yourself up for disappointment.
Small? Fire Emblem has a TON of games and the last one sold exceptionably well. 1.3 million almost.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
From what @BluePsychic and @ staindgrey staindgrey have said, the whole alternate costume argument revolves around how fimiliar a person is with said character. Hal Jordan are two compltely different characters, but BluePsychic couldn't care less about comics.. and this is just a hunch, but I'd guess that staindgrey hasn't played the Mother series.
Good assumption. I played Earthbound on the Wii VC, but my Wii broke before I got anywhere in the game. I know next to nothing about the series haha.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Small? Fire Emblem has a TON of games and the last one sold exceptionably well. 1.3 million almost.
1.3 million copies sold is nothing compared to DK or Metroid.
Which is who I was comparing it to.

In fact, 1.3 million is downright puny when compared to most franchises in Smash.

It's got a lot of games, sure. But its impact on Nintendo is quite small.
There's no debate to be had, though. We're getting three.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Well yeah, Nintendo holds them every two months, its been like this for quite a while now, and Im assuming since Smash doesn't come out till october, we'll see it again in August and October's directs.

List of Directs with Smash, it happens every 2 months.

June 2013: Megaman, WFT, Villager
August 2013: Luigi
October 2013: Sonic
December 2013: Rosalina
February 2014: Little Mac
April 2014: Greninja
June 2014: Mii Fighter, Palutena, Pac-Man
August 2014: ???
October 2014: ???

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Good assumption. I played Earthbound on the Wii VC, but my Wii broke before I got anywhere in the game. I know next to nothing about the series haha.
*Insert Miles Edgeworth gif here.*

That's a shame your Wii U broke down... butin any case, I thank you for admiting your unfimiliarty with the series. With comics, I'm no expert either.

And with that, I'm out of here. This leak won't go anywhere until Dal makes another move.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
1.3 million copies sold is nothing compared to DK or Metroid.
Which is who I was comparing it to.

In fact, 1.3 million is downright puny when compared to most franchises in Smash.

It's got a lot of games, sure. But its impact on Nintendo is quite small.
There's no debate to be had, though. We're getting three.
Since we're going by the most recent installments...

Metroid Other M Sales... 1.26m

So puny.

In the end Metroid and FE are similar. They're both "puny" compared to the other franchises. Metroid isn't about characters so there aren't many potential ones to use in smash. They're about Samus usually and thats it. I'm damn sure we're getting Ridley so shes probably gonna have another rep. FE has a ton of characters and a TON of games. A LOT of them. They have just as much right to a new rep and they have more characters to draw from.

Last edited:

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
Well yeah, Nintendo holds them every two months, its been like this for quite a while now, and Im assuming since Smash doesn't come out till october, we'll see it again in August and October's directs.

List of Directs with Smash, it happens every 2 months.

June 2013: Megaman, WFT, Villager
August 2013: Luigi
October 2013: Sonic
December 2013: Rosalina
February 2014: Little Mac
April 2014: Greninja
June 2014: Mii Fighter, Palutena, Pac-Man
August 2014: ???
October 2014: ???
Well I guess. It's kind of an assumption though. I've learned to give up on patterns when it comes to SSB. But I HOPE you are correct!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
There's a Nintendo Direct every two months. Nothing is set in stone, but you can pretty much guarantee directs for both August and October, quite likely a Smash Bros. Direct either right before the Japanese release of the 3DS game or before the western 3DS game's release.

The only exception was back in April, we got a Smash Bros. Direct instead of a global Nintendo Direct.

13 games. 3 characters. Seems fair.

But then again, Advance Wars has 12 games and no characters... *grumbles*
Fire Emblem has a lot of games, but as Louie G. has stated, the sales of the series isn't the best.

I don't think Advance Wars was much better (actually if VGChartz is anything to go by, Advance Wars is far worse than Fire Emblem), but with 10 games (Battalion Wars doesn't count, they're not actually part of the Wars franchise and play nothing like the Wars games, they were just given the "Wars" title to sell better; which they ironically did not), they should definitely have a playable Smash Bros. rep.

I am expecting a few characters not in the Gematsu leak. So maybe we'll get an Advance Wars rep and Isaac after all (just probably not going to be marketed and be unlockable). A third FE character is pretty much guaranteed at this point and based on sales, I can't see DK sticking with only two reps (Diddy was announced very early this time as well compared to with Brawl).

Louie G.

Smash Hero
@ BombKirby BombKirby
:facepalm: I'm sorry.
Stupid old me thought you were talking about the entire series! :chuckle:
Awakening definitely deserves representation, one of the most successful and critically acclaimed 3DS games there is.

SwagzillaForilla

Smash Apprentice
What I find most disappointing about the Gematsu leak is the lack of a DK newcomer.

I've always been a fan of Donkey Kong games, and it hurts to see how little attention it gets in Smash. I figured a DK newcomer was a shoo-in, whether it be Dixie (who was planned for Brawl) or K. Rool. If the leak is true, and Chrom, Shulk and the Chorus Kids are the final newcomers (which I'm almost certain they are), I'll be very disappointed. It doesn't help that the Chunky Kong rumor was a lie and DK still has his old final smash...

Oh well. You can't please everyone, and there's always hope for DLC.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Unfortunately, I feel like there are a few other characters that take priority. But they would be good DLC.
Still thinking that after Gematsu, the first picks would be K. Rool and Ridley. My second picks would be Isaac and Medusa at this point, though (since Kid Icarus is getting so much love right now), although I'd rather have an Advance Wars character or Dixie Kong (yes, two new DK characters if sales are anything to go by) over a third Kid Icarus character.

Anyway, we'll see. I'm really hoping for a non-Gematsu reveal in August, although I highly doubt we will get one. Also hoping the leaker made a mistake and its actually Robin, not Chrom, from Awakening.

@ BombKirby BombKirby
Awakening definitely deserves representation, one of the most successful and critically acclaimed 3DS games there is.
Lol if we go by sales, Lyn should've been playable over Ike. Sword of Seals is the second most selling game in the series (assuming VGChartz is at least halfways accurate).

What I find most disappointing about the Gematsu leak is the lack of a DK newcomer.

I've always been a fan of Donkey Kong games, and it hurts to see how little attention it gets in Smash. I figured a DK newcomer was a shoo-in, whether it be Dixie (who was planned for Brawl) or K. Rool. If the leak is true, and Chrom, Shulk and the Chorus Kids are the final newcomers (which I'm almost certain they are), I'll be very disappointed. It doesn't help that the Chunky Kong rumor was a lie and DK still has his old final smash...

Oh well. You can't please everyone, and there's always hope for DLC.
I think we still have a third DK newcomer (since I'm about 90% convinced Ridley is actually playable).

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I've seen a comment going around that someone said the roster would be the most beloved roster in the series to date? Where was this said? Who said it?

SwagzillaForilla

Smash Apprentice
Guys.

The leak never said "Shulk, Chrom, and Chorus Kids are the final newcomers".
I'm... doubtful. I figured that, if there were any more newcomers, the leaker would have "spilled the beans" about them in the most recent leak. The leak also lines up perfectly with the 47 character roster theory that's been floating around lately.

It's better to keep my expectations low, anyways. I'd rather be surprised than disappointed again.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
I wouldn't hold out for an AW rep. The Advance Wars series has a really spotty release record in Japan. It's sad too, it has more installments than any other unrepped Nintendo series currently in Smash Bros.

Metroid, DK and FE all deserve third reps, obviously.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I'm... doubtful. I figured that, if there were any more newcomers, the leaker would have "spilled the beans" about them in the most recent leak. The leak also lines up perfectly with the 47 character roster theory that's been floating around lately.

It's better to keep my expectations low, anyways. I'd rather be surprised than disappointed again.
Look, he didn't get Rosalina, so their will be more newcomers if the leak is even real.

EmbersToAshes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EmbersToAshes
Look, he didn't get Rosalina, so their will be more newcomers if the leak is even real.
Well that's just horrible logic. Just because he didn't include Rosalina, there's no guarantee that there is anyone else besides her absent, as you're stating definitively. Horrible logic, horrible argument. We have no idea if we'll see more characters outside of the leak, but as the numbers climb it becomes increasingly unlikely. There's only so much space.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
@ BombKirby BombKirby
Generally I was talking about the whole series (the sales though were just the last game), but I always bring up the fact that FE's last installment was going to be its last but by some miracle it got a million more sales than usual and the series will live on, so its pretty important series and is probably one reason they would pick Chrom over someone else as he represents that game.

Last edited:

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I personally think Rosalina's a one time (or really rare) exception because of this article.
I think Sakurai was also talking about Rosalina when mentioning having trouble with "multiple character" combatants, and that the only reason Sal's tipper didn't mention her is the possibility that she may have been cut due to technical issues around the time of e3. (or them not having plans for her for that reason)

D

Deleted member

I personally think Rosalina's a one time (or really rare) exception because of this article.
I think Sakurai was also talking about Rosalina when mentioning having trouble with "multiple character" combatants, and that the only reason Sal's tipper didn't mention her is the possibility that she may have been cut due to technical issues around the time of e3. (or them not having plans for her for that reason)
I think it has to do with the first leak being E3 specific, Rosalina never being planned to be revealed at E3, then already being revealed when the second leak happened.

D

Deleted member 245254

Dude...honestly I have a theory...

What if Sakurai himself, or through ordinance of one of his own fellow developers...ALLOWED the leak to happen purely to create this kind of speculation.

Think about the kind of storm that this leak has brew, and how much it has us all talking about Smash 4 on so many different sites. It's the kind of internet publicity you couldn't buy or get with a zillion banner ads.

Genius I tell you.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
I think it has to do with the first leak being E3 specific, Rosalina never being planned to be revealed at E3, then already being revealed when the second leak happened.
Well, that's basically what i mean. The reason she wasn't even planned for e3 in the first place was her shakiness as a character at the time.
Her announcement trailer also includes characters not revealed until after e3, unlike the other announcement trailers of characters that were said to appear at e3.
@Zipzo The best part is that nobody will ever know it's him. The perfect crime leak

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I get the feeling that if someone else (or no one) was revealed in the December Direct, than Rosalina would be a part of leak 2.

BombKirby

Smash Journeyman
I like the theory where the leaker is just reading a list of characters who are getting E3 announcements or something. Sticking with that. I just know there are more than just those 3 characters left just by looking at all the hints Sakurai is dropping.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom