• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Official Ohio Brawl Power Rankings (11/25/12: NEW RANKINGS UPDATED!)

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
*sigh*...

A "period" should consist of any and all events in between two consecutive updates, since the timing of the updates are not consistent at all. It's unfair to the players who achieve things and who beat so&so if the, "impact on memory" let's call it, of their achievements have to take a back seat to whatever may happen in the span of that next period they are designated to; solely because the timing of the monthly PR updates are inconsistent between the months.

And why is December included if the last update took place on December 31st (which would have already taken all activity before then into account)? Can you please clarify?

Kel

Smash Master
Wat, no Yoshi lol. Nope's method involves using the last 3 months with the current month holding the most weight.

Or the last 20 seconds, whichever works best.

ChamP_SlayZ

Smash Apprentice
lol i was jus wondering around and actually read this thread lol u guys r all dumbZ lol its jus smash guys chill and have fun i know its jus friendly competition but lets not keep arguing about the PR or we gonna end up like the lame East Coast haha GOD FIELD!???

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
lol i was jus wondering around and actually read this thread lol u guys r all dumbZ lol its jus smash guys chill and have fun i know its jus friendly competition but lets not keep arguing about the PR or we gonna end up like the lame East Coast haha GOD FIELD!???
No one's arguing lol. Delays are just dumb. :/

King~

Smash Champion
*sigh*...

A "period" should consist of any and all events in between two consecutive updates, since the timing of the updates are not consistent at all. It's unfair to the players who achieve things and who beat so&so if the, "impact on memory" let's call it, of their achievements have to take a back seat to whatever may happen in the span of that next period they are designated to; solely because the timing of the monthly PR updates are inconsistent between the months.

And why is December included if the last update took place on December 31st (which would have already taken all activity before then into account)? Can you please clarify?
at some point in time people became upset that we where "forgetting" their accomplishments from last month so it was decide that we take the current and still let the previous month have some weight.

this was said to prevent "hot streaks" from skewing the rankings

Wat, no Yoshi lol. Nope's method involves using the last 3 months with the current month holding the most weight.

Or the last 20 seconds, whichever works best.
that was last time since we didnt update in november(?)

lol last 20 seconds is good though

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
at some point in time people became upset that we where "forgetting" their accomplishments from last month so it was decide that we take the current and still let the previous month have some weight.

this was said to prevent "hot streaks" from skewing the rankings
Fair enough. So then would it be a problem to include the events of this past weekend into this PR vote since there is no real concrete monthly time period that is/has been followed? I understand that you guys have it set up in a way that wouldn't allow past accomplishments to completely go unnoticed, but as I said...it's the "impact" of said accomplishments that naturally wear away with time. It isn't your guys' fault or anything, I just thought I'd speak up about it before things get going.

Kel

Smash Master
No yoshi it's always been 3 months haha. The November thing was just odd because that month got skipped completely >=(

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
OMFG Someone Update The PR Already!!! This Thread Is ***!!!

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I don't see this being updated anytime soon (aka within the next 3-4 days).

I'm thinking this will be my last vote and someone else can have my spot after this.

Also, Nope, as much as I love you, it is a pretty consistent theme that you simply don't have the time to lead/stay on top of the PR stuff. I would suggest a new leader who is always on/interested/and such. I am also not this person, because I am just as guilty when it comes to forgetting about the PR and such.

Also, for those interested, this is my list:
0. M2K
1. Blue Rogue
2. Kel
3. Infern
4. Y.b.M.
5. AZ
6. OS
7. Capem
8. KB
9. DJiskascribbles
10. Nope
HM
Fonz
Champ
Fizzle
Z
Suyon

Suyon

Smash Lord
I'm super close to beating Persona 4 now.

AZ I think you're fine. It's just that I think we should remind you guys at the end of each month and stuff. Also maybe having backups would be nice as well to get the process done if the panelist aren't there, because they either forget or don't care or they are too busy.

Kel

Smash Master
It's funny that I'm the person most against having power rankings, yet I'm usually the only person posting in the thread about them.

capemkills

Smash Journeyman
The list will be interesting, but I def see infern staying number 1 and BR following close behind at number 2. As for the rest, who knows.

fonzi21

Smash Ace

Fonz staying stagnant (not sure though... I'd have to look more into that),
Only stuff I remember that was of importance on my part was defeating Seibrik, Kewkky, BMX, at Pound, and getting Planked by Kel first round at DU (I will cherish that memory forever.) Otherwise that's about all I did.

Also, people just need to relax about the PR stuff. It's just a list of your tournament results mixed with opinion. So my question is do you like the PR because of the attention or do you actually not know where you stand on your abilities or between everyone else in your state? I can honestly say I don't need a PR or anyone else's opinion to tell me where I am on the list. I know who I should beat and who I need to really step up my game to beat. That's all it is. So instead of waiting for this list to tell you who your better then make your own list in your head and use it. Confidence and composure is key in all things. Use it to your advantage, and read the quote in my Sig!!

Edit: Also if you need the PR to drive your competitiveness to beat other people then your lacking on Competitive drive =(.

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Only stuff I remember that was of importance on my part was defeating Seibrik, Kewkky, BMX, at Pound, and getting Planked by Kel first round at DU (I will cherish that memory forever.) Otherwise that's about all I did.

Also, people just need to relax about the PR stuff. It's just a list of your tournament results mixed with opinion. So my question is do you like the PR because of the attention or do you actually not know where you stand on your abilities or between everyone else in your state? I can honestly say I don't need a PR or anyone else's opinion to tell me where I am on the list. I know who I should beat and who I need to really step up my game to beat. That's all it is. So instead of waiting for this list to tell you who your better then make your own list in your head and use it. Confidence and composure is key in all things. Use it to your advantage, and read the quote in my Sig!!

Edit: Also if you need the PR to drive your competitiveness to beat other people then your lacking on Competitive drive =(.
There isn't anything negative about people wanting to have their names posted somewhere for performing well. Most of the other scenes/regions do it, and it helps to boost a player's rep since the PR is basically a "who's who and how they're doing" list for everyone else to refer to. It may not be your cup of tea or what drives you per-se, but it's totally cool if people play to have their name up there with the "big boys" of their area so to say. I see it as a "gold star on the wall" kind of thing, lol. Of course I know I can do well and have assured myself of that, but I like having something to show for it too.

If your brother isn't interested in running the list anymore or doesn't have the necessary time for it, could he maybe consider passing the duties along to another person? If not then it's fine, there has just been a trend lately.

fonzi21

Smash Ace
There isn't anything negative about people wanting to have their names posted somewhere for performing well. Most of the other scenes do it, and it helps to boost a player's rep since the PR is basically a "who's doing what and how they're doing" list for everyone else to refer to. It may not be your cup of tea or what drives you per-se, but it's totally cool if people play to have their name up there with the "big boys" of their area so to say. I see it as a "gold star on the wall" kind of thing, lol. Of course I know I can do well and have assured myself of that, but I like having something to show for it too.

If your brother isn't interested in running the list anymore or doesn't have the necessary time for it, could he maybe consider passing the duties along to another person? If not then it's fine, there has just been a trend of tardiness lately.
I tell him all the time he needs to do it, but I don't care whether or not it gets done lol. As far as gold stars and rep sure it's deserved, but people are getting rather negative about it, and everyone needs to relax. If it doesn't get updated monthly or two months or whatever it is (I don't know I never ask questions about it nor read it nor care about it unfortunately) then big deal. Just be happy someone originally stepped up to do it. This thread was created to discuss PR's and you should do so in the thread instead of waiting for the opinion of the Panelists. Discuss it here and earn your Rep and gold stars from everyone not just the panelists. People will notice you doing well from your Tournament results and from playing you. They shouldn't need a list from other people's opinion to tell them.

This stuff reminds me of the family guy episode where one guy convinces the whole stock market to buy waffles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YyEdny5rh8

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
I tell him all the time he needs to do it, but I don't care whether or not it gets done lol. As far as gold stars and rep sure it's deserved, but people are getting rather negative about it, and everyone needs to relax. If it doesn't get updated monthly or two months or whatever it is (I don't know I never ask questions about it nor read it nor care about it unfortunately).
That's the thing though bro, you don't care about it, and that's fine. Some of us do, however, which should also be respected. It's not so much that people are getting negative about it, it's that some will eventually become impatient if there is tardiness after a clear post saying when we should expect things to be done by (or at least close to it), or if there has been a developing trend of tardiness; and not even so much as a post from the primary informant letting us know there will be a delay. It has been a week. I'd just like people to try a little harder to keep their word if they tell us something, which Nope did.

Sorry if I seem a little anal about punctuality, I've just been raised that way.

This thread was created to discuss PR's and you should do so in the thread instead of waiting for the opinion of the Panelists. Discuss it here and earn your Rep and gold stars from everyone not just the panelists. People will notice you doing well from your Tournament results and from playing you. They shouldn't need a list from other people's opinion to tell them.
That's the thing, this thread is only active around the periods when a supposed update will be applied. The only things of relevance to the list or any kind of discussion about it are the results that people post in here to take into consideration during each respective period/voting period, which I have been doing. I agree, people "shouldn't" need a list to judge one's abilities as a player, but the list is here, it exists, it's relevant to current activity, so therefore it requires attention.

edit: also what AZ pointed out. Like I said, it serves as a list of reference to the people/regions we don't see regularly.

fonzi21

Smash Ace
That's the thing though bro, you don't care about it, and that's fine. Some of us do, however, which should also be respected.

edit: also what AZ pointed out. Like I said, it serves as a list of reference to the people/regions we don't see regularly.

Work on Selective reading because I also stated in my post that you did not quote that Your gold stars and accomplishments are deserved. I am not dis-respecting your achievements. Also Nope is the worst when it comes to getting things done on time. I do try to help him, and he is bad at it. I live with him and he is my brother so you don't have to tell me it's disappointing when stuff doesn't get done on time. I agree with you.

Seeds are good, and it's good tournaments use PR's to seed people in pools/brackets, but I look at it this way. If you want to be the best or are the best you should be able to beat everyone regardless so why does it matter who I play first round. Once again my opinion.

I am giving suggestions to earn your reputation and gold stars without the panelists, but if you just want to wait for them then be my guest heh Nope is my brother, and I know how he operates. Also if this thread is only active during suggested times take the initiative yourself to get it going and getting people active. (just a suggestion).

Eddie G

Smash Hero
NNID
neohmarth216
Sorry, I selectively quoted for the purpose of summarizing everything, but I acknowledged your entire post for sure so no worries.

And do you know just how hard it is to get Ohio to pay attention to something as a group...? It's god-awful. xD

capemkills

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I selectively quoted for the purpose of summarizing everything, but I acknowledged your entire post for sure so no worries.

And do you know just how hard it is to get Ohio to pay attention to something as a group...? It's god-awful. xD
you got my "hey a butterfly", o my bad, yea you got my attention.

Infern Angelis

Smash Master
haha cause we love smashfield so much we have to make fun of them. But yeah Fonz is right, damm that 3rs best snake in Ohio!!!

Kel

Smash Master
I agree with Fonz that power rankings are dumb. In the melee days the Midwest didn't have power rankings because everyone was too friendly and cool with each other/ beat each other so much that it didn't make sense to try to make a list. I miss melee =(

Top Bottom