• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The new Ridley for SSBB thread =-Version 3.0-=

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
That was considering that you guys would help out. And since you haven't, and I came up with a good idea for an entire new section that pays tribute to the old Ridley thread (like a scrap book kind of thing that recalls the stuff we did), it's going to take a bit longer. Please don't complain unless you're willing to help to finish it sooner.

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
No actually her suit is based off of Zero mission... compare!
It's sad but true. The Prime Varia suit looks so much cooler imo. Probably because it's in 3d. :p

Her suit in Brawl does bare some similarities to the Prime suit though. It kind of looks like her suit is based off of both games if you do a close comparison. Anyone concur?

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
*Does some checking...which takes awhile.*

Hm, I guess it is...althought I would go as far as to say Zero Mission's suit design branched from Prime 1's design. Sakurai could have gone with Zero Mission's design though because of his idea of having Zero-Suit Samus fight.

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
*Does some checking...which takes awhile.*

Hm, I guess it is...althought I would go as far as to say Zero Mission's suit design branched from Prime 1's design. Sakurai could have gone with Zero Mission's design though because of his idea of having Zero-Suit Samus fight.
Yeah that's true. But was Zero Suit Samus playable in Zero Mission? Seems like a stupid question but I have to ask.

You have to remember that Samus was shown without her suit in the Prime games. But if she was actually playable in Zero Mission then I'll rest my case and say that they based the suit from Zero Mission because of Zamus.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Yeah that's true. But was Zero Suit Samus playable in Zero Mission? Seems like a stupid question but I have to ask.

You have to remember that Samus was shown without her suit in the Prime games. But if she was actually playable in Zero Mission then I'll rest my case and say that they based the suit from Zero Mission because of Zamus.
I don't know if they had a no-suit Samus mode in Zero Missions as I've yet to even play it. :ohwell:

But I do know that's where Zero-Suit Samus's design originates. Before that, her appearance was always up to interpretation. It's only been since Zero Missions that Samus finally has a definite look outside her suit. I guess it's because I haven't played Zero Missions but have played Prime 2 that I didn't link Brawl's Varia Suit design to a game outside the Prime series.

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
The pic I was looking at of Zero Mission looked nothing like the pic you showed. O.o

But yeah, I can see how they based it entirely off of Zero Mission now. This diminshes DS's chance of being in Brawl. :( Prime is a popular series though, and I think that some kind of rep should come from Prime.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Its not that popular in Japan actually and if he showed you a picture of her without the Gravity suit you would see the similarities easier.

Aphotik

Smash Apprentice
Well this changes the whole Dark Samus discussion. Either Ridley is in Brawl as a boss or DS probably won't make it. Still, they could both make it, maybe...

Caael

Smash Lord
Well Samus' moves will make or break Dark Samus or Ridley. If she has electric bombs from prime, DS is more likely to be in. If she has the traditional bombs, then DS has little chance, as we all know that Sakurai takes things from the same game. Take Zelda and Link. Both TP.

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
Well Samus' moves will make or break Dark Samus or Ridley. If she has electric bombs from prime, DS is more likely to be in. If she has the traditional bombs, then DS has little chance, as we all know that Sakurai takes things from the same game. Take Zelda and Link. Both TP.
TP Zelda uses Din's Fire and Farore's Wind?

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah, Prime is only really popular in North America, and maybe a little in England, but Japan absolutely hates it.
Thats not ENTIRELY true, they seem to enjoy to say the least metroid prime hunters, which I could understand having a great multiplayer... note that there are 2-3 hunters in sakurais poll...

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon

I still stand by the one comment I said regarding the Varia Suit design. Yes it is indeed the Zero Mission Varia Suit design, but that design probably wouldn't be what it is if it wasn't for Prime 1's take on Samus's suit.

And Gypsy said "no offense" regarding his comment, but I still say that's a bit unnecessary calling anybody who's yet to play ZM a noob. Personally, I just haven't given myself the chance to buy it, even though I could easily get a copy for $10. I also could of just done my research on the game by now, but I still want to own it eventually, so I try not to spoil myself too much.

Stryks

Smash Hero
It what Ive told Gypsy time after time, the prime suit was the 1st one to use the lights on the shoulder pad and chest on the varia suit, which was later used in MZM, MP2, MPH and so on...

even tough the SSBB samus is modeled after MZM, the MZM was used modeled and edited after the MP1 suit...

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Sorry, I can get like that a lot. Just don't jump to conclusions that it's the Prime suit before actually doing some research. There are several differences between it and the Brawl suit, whereas the Zero Mission one matches up almost exactly.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
As I've made clear, it's quite easy to mistake Brawl Samus for the Prime 2 Samus if one hasn't played Zero Missions. I've seen the box art many times for ZM, but none of those have pics of Samus's Varia Suit. I had to delve in a lot more than expected to find a picture of ZM Samus in the Varia (or in our case, Gravity) suit.

It's also only now that I'm noticing that Prime 2' managed to even further update the Varia Suit to include a rounder helmet, a more jagged visor, and those extra lights on the legs (which for some reason I was picturing on Brawl Samus before I got another look).

In other words, this conclusion was less of a "jump" and more like a slight misstep, perfectly understandable if you consider the situation.

Also note that, yes, there are several differences between the Prime 1 suit and the ZM suit. The differences though are not so easily seen when compared to the Prime 2/3 suit, which I had pictured, as it is the most recent look.

Legolastom

Smash Hero
Well technically TP Link is based off of OOT Link because he has the... er... pouch thingy.

But i don't like the artwork for Samus's MP3 suit at all... to blue.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
What else are we going to do until Brawl comes out? :p
Exactly.

Agreed. It may be an older version, but personally I think it's the best. It keeps Ridley ferocious and alien without being exaggerated. I do think his head could be a smidge smaller or not as long, but height-wise he's perfect (not for brawl, but for Ridley himself).
Exactly.

It's a shame to...as some people make it sound as if he belongs among the group of huge bosses when Ridley's medium-sized at best. There are several larger bosses than Ridley.
Yep. There's Kraid, Mother Brain (2nd form from Super Metroid), Quadraxis, etc.

I hope you don't mean the REAL Prime model, 'cause that's way too many polygons for Smash. But compared to Melee Samus, and you can see the changes originally ministered by the Prime series.
Meh. I suppose so... and yeah. The real Prime model was what I meant.

So it can't be said Sakurai isn't paying attention to the Prime series. Now as to how much influence the series will have on Brawl, that's yet to be seen, but I hope some elements do make it in.
Same here, though I guess that was kind of an exaggeration to say he isn't paying attention to the Prime series. I was only saying that because so far there haven't been any Prime-exclusive items/characters/music/whatever revealed, which led me to believe that, but I guess we'll have to wait and see what he has in store...

The fact that I can easily list ALL of Metroid's tributes to Smash Bros. is evidence of this.
Well, you seem to have left out the Ridley trophy :p, but yeah. I agree. Anything will do for Metroid.

But as of Brawl, we got Zero-Suit Samus and Ridley's theme as new additions. That's it. Not enough. Need more representation, plz.
Needless to say, I 2nd that. Metroid's grown way too popular over the years (since Melee's release) for it to not have anymore reps/features in the upcoming Smash game (besides those 2 you mentioned).

Bizarrely enough, another underrepresented series is Kirby, which Sakurai himself created. I know the guy's modest, but I think he's letting his hesitance blind him from the fact that his own series also has fans who want Kirby to be properly represented. I'm one of those fans!
Hmm. Yeah. I kinda noticed that about him...

Truth! I don't believe I've heard that before. I'll make sure to use that point as well! Thanks! :)
No problem.

Her suit in Brawl does bare some similarities to the Prime suit though. It kind of looks like her suit is based off of both games if you do a close comparison. Anyone concur?
Meh. I suppose...

Sonink

Smash Journeyman
It's sad but true. The Prime Varia suit looks so much cooler imo. Probably because it's in 3d. :p

Well, assuming all the characters are made from scratch by the Brawl team, Samus may have been modelled off reference pictures from multiple games, hence the similarities to both ZM Samus and Prime Samus.

Gypsy Lee

Smash Champion
Well, assuming all the characters are made from scratch by the Brawl team, Samus may have been modelled off reference pictures from multiple games, hence the similarities to both ZM Samus and Prime Samus.

Noobs that have only played the Prime games make me upset sometimes. (No offense). It is based exactly off of Zero Mission.

............................ *sigh*

Meta-Knight

Smash Journeyman
I too would like Ridley to be playable in Brawl but...how come no one has made any threads for Dark Samus or Rundas? They seem to be more likely candidates.

ParamoreRiot

Smash Lord
I too would like Ridley to be playable in Brawl but...how come no one has made any threads for Dark Samus or Rundas? They seem to be more likely candidates.

Obviously, you haven't played much Metroid games to think Rundas should get in before Ridley, albeit he would have an awesome moveset.

Ridley is more crucial to the Metroid series than Rundas or DS.

Meta-Knight

Smash Journeyman
Obviously, you haven't played much Metroid games to think Rundas should get in before Ridley, albeit he would have an awesome moveset.

Ridley is more crucial to the Metroid series than Rundas or DS.
Actually, for your information, I have played almost every Metroid game (besides Metroid 2 and Super Metroid). I just don't see how Ridley would play out. He's too **** big. Dark Samus and Rundas, however are perfect additions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom