• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The NEW and Official Ray (Custom Robo series) Support Thread (not just Ray 01)

parrothead

Smash Lord
If many of you want Ray from Custom Robo, then which Ray should enter? This is only for the standard Rays, and I am excluding the special Rays (e.g. Ray Sky, Ray Legend, Ray Dark II, etc.). And remember, neither of these Rays are equal to each other, because it's not the same Ray in different forms. It's just like comparing the many different Ultramen from the Ultra series.

Name: Ray
First Appearance: Custom Robo (N64 and iQue version)
Brief Info: This is the first Ray of the Custom Robo series, but I'm afraid he was slightly modified as the next Ray in the Custom Robo series. He later appeared in Custom Robo Arena. The original Custom Robo was also released in China for the iQue Player in 2006, which means it is no longer Japan-Only. In Custom Robo for the Nintendo GameCube (a.k.a. Custom Robo: Battle Revolution in Japan), there is a Ray model based on the original Ray (or Ray Mk II) called "Ray Legend".

Name: Ray MK II
First Appearance: Custom Robo V2
Brief Info: Ray MK II is a slightly modified version of the original Ray in the Custom Robo series. He probably became more popular in Japan than the first Ray in Japan. He also appeared as a trophy in SSBM, and as the first custom robo you obtain and use in Custom Robo Arena (which is a major role). But that's not all, he was also mentioned in Sakurai's poll.

Name: X-Ray
First Appearance: Custom Robo GX
Brief Info: Nintendo and NOISE were planning to release Custom Robo GX in America, but later decided to wait for the GameCube version of Custom Robo (known as Custom Robo: Battle Revolution in Japan), because the series is not all about 2D. X-Ray probably has the lowest chance at entering SSBB. However, he later appeared in Custom Robo Arena as another playable Ray. Also, the Game Boy Advance is still active, making it possible for Nintendo of America to release Custom Robo GX, and use X-Ray to advertise the GBA title. But I'm afraid that Custom Robo GX is outdated, while X-Ray is not the original or newest Ray.

Name: Ray 01
First Appearance: Custom Robo: Battle Revolution (known simply as "Custom Robo" in America)
Brief Info: Ray 01 is perhaps the most popular of all Rays, because of his design being more detailed. Also, he is the main Ray of the first Custom Robo released inside and outside of Japan. He was mentioned in Sakurai's poll only once, which Sakurai might choose him. However, his design might be a little too tough to create for SSBB, while he is not the original or the newest Ray.

OR

Name: Ray MK III
First Appearance: Custom Robo Arena
Brief Info: Ray MK III is the newest of all Rays. He is probably the second, most-detailed custom robo of the standard Ray series. After noticing the SSBB characters' looks being mostly based on their most recent looks, it looks like this Ray might take the seat in the roster before the other Rays can. He is probably the first Ray to use the Soulboost (correct me if I'm wrong), which can be used in SSBB as a Super Smash Move. Ray Mk III might enter, not only because he is the newest of the standard Ray models, but Custom Robo Arena was released in more regions than the other Custom Robo titles. Also, Ray Mk III plays a major role in Custom Robo Arena.

These are all the standard Ray models of the Custom Robo series. I am not counting special Ray models, such as Ray Sky, Ray Warrior, A.I.R.S. (a military version of Ray Sky), Ray Legend (which is based on one of the first two standard Ray models) nor Ray II Dark.

parrothead

Smash Lord
Custom Robo V1 (also known as just Custom Robo in Japan) was the first Custom Robo title ever developed, which probably makes Ray in this one have a good chance at entering SSBB.

The Ray from Custom Robo V2 looks like he has the lowest chance at entering, but he appeared as a trophy in SSBM. Right now, he has returned in a new look in Custom Robo Arena for the DS.

Custom Robo GX was the first portable Custom Robo title ever developed. It was about to be released outside of Japan. They are still announcing the outside-Japan release, but it's probably outdated. The Ray in this version is sort of popular in Japan, and is now more popular than before, after he appeared in Custom Robo Arena.

Custom Robo: Battle Revolution (known just as Custom Robo in America) is probably the most popular version around Earth, because of the "kewl" graphics and animation. It was rated by Adam and Morgan a 3 out of 5. This Ray is the most popular version in America, but Nintendo might either choose the first Ray or one of the DS Rays instead.

AND

There is more than one standard Ray in Custom Robo Arena (also known as Custom Robo Rumble in Japan), the upcoming title in the Custom Robo franchise, which Nintendo might use one or more Rays in this title to advertise the DS version. Also, one of these Rays would probably be more popular than the Battle Revolution/GCN version if Nintendo releases Custom Robo Arena inside and outside of Japan.

Grizz Lee

Smash Apprentice
I would say the best looking, graphically. Based on the trailer, they are going for graphics and realism over flashiness. But don't get me wrong, I think it would be great if they kept my YLink the same, but jsut gave him a makeover with Wind Waker graphics.

Conker1

Smash Ace
What does Young Link have to do with this?

Anyway, it doesn't matter which Ray they pick, they will upgrade the graphics for any of them.

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
I prefer Ray from Battle Revolution. The other styles look really bland in the coloring. Maybe it's just the detail from the graphics, but BR Ray's suit has more variation, as opposed to blue top-white bottom I see in the others.

Plus, his head actually looks right on that body.

GenG

Smash Lord
Well, there is a one more version of Ray that isn't listed, and it's Ray Warrior, an improved (yet cooler) and powerful version of the Battle Revolution standart one.
But I think the BR standart fits better, both in appareance (darker and cooler) and realism.

Stryks

Smash Hero
The Ray 01 of the Custom Robo that was released in america, that{s the cooler looking one, he deserves to be in brawl

Tomasiarity

Smash Journeyman
V1-It sucks, too polygonal and Japan-style.
V2-A bit better, but still doesn't make the cut
GX-This one is the best. It looks nice, yet not as crafty as the one of BR (Battle Revolution).
BR-This one looks too much complicated to me. But it would be the best choice for pleasing the American audience.
DS-Looks very similar to the GX one, so its OK. And it would be great way to promote the upcoming CR game for the DS

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Keep in mind, the first two are from N64 builds, so don't be to critical of the lack of detail. Keep in mind, the Smash Bros. team can work wonders in that department (Peach has never looked beter since SSBM), so I'm fine with whatever model they chose to work with. I personally like the GX build the best myself, as the Battle Revolution version looks a bit too Gundam-ish.

parrothead

Smash Lord
If Nintendo wants originality, they'll have to choose the V1 version. If they want graphics, they'll have to choose the Battle Revolution version. If they want to make Custom Robo DS sell well, they can add the DS version. If they are going to release Custom Robo GX in America and other countries outside of Japan, and if they want a blend of both graphics and originality, they'll have to choose the GX version. The V2 version probably has the lowest chance at entering SSBB.

Kal aMari

Smash Journeyman
Actually, upon closer inspection, Ray BR looks really hella cool, but...it's really over the top, compared to Ray DS. And when I say "over-the-top," I mean it in a neo-Bombman sort of way. *shudder*

Ray DS is the most likely to get in, so Ninty can pick up some free advertising for the new CRDS, a la Roy.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
Lord_Deathborne said:
Keep in mind, the Smash Bros. team can work wonders in that department (Peach has never looked beter since SSBM), so I'm fine with whatever model they chose to work with.
You've never played Mario Power Tennis have you?

Anyway, back on topic, I think the BR one should be in. I'd like to see more human looking characters in Brawl, we have Snake, Zamus/Samus, and Link, more would be good.

Dead Eye 935

Smash Cadet
Fauquier, VA. Lookin for challengers/crew
Hmm.....I want Ray Legend from Custom Robo(America). He was uber-awesome. V1 and V2 look weird, but perhaps if they improved the graphics........Battle Revolution looks kick-a$$. Maybe a little over the top though. I'd say Ray Legend or Ray DS have the best chances of getting in.

Chidosengan

Smash Lord
So these are all the Rays huh? **** Battle Revolution Ray looks pimp as hell! If Ray was to make it, hopefully dat one would! Or maybe they could do the Alternate Costume thing everyone wants, than everyone would win!

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
The BR Ray is waaaay over the top. Too intricate and pretty to not look weird standing next to everyone else. On the other hand, the GX and DS versions are mighty purdy. I can see those being the most likely. V1 looks too much like a guy in a suit, and V2 is... alright, but not as unique.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Marshigio said:
You've never played Mario Power Tennis have you?

Anyway, back on topic, I think the BR one should be in. I'd like to see more human looking characters in Brawl, we have Snake, Zamus/Samus, and Link, more would be good.
I was refering to detail, not sex appeal. :mad:

At any rate, Custom Robo IS going to get some rep this time around, its one of Nintendo's more popular secondary series (well... maybe not over here just yet... but definently in Japan.)

Black Metal

Smash Cadet
Man I haven't posted for a long time. Well on to point for me it is a tie between Ray V1 and CR:BR Ray because it's the father/son angle they're both cool. But I really feel like Super Smash Master.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Lord_Deathborne said:
At any rate, Custom Robo IS going to get some rep this time around, its one of Nintendo's more popular secondary series (well... maybe not over here just yet... but definently in Japan.)
You don't know that they could completly snub the franchise not even give the characters a trophy you don't know for a fact that Custom Robo will get some representation

parrothead

Smash Lord
Wanting the BR Ray over every other Ray is just like wanting the Act Zero Bomberman...:

...over these two Bombermen:

parrothead

Smash Lord
Isn't there already a Ray thread?If there is which there is they belong there.
That other Ray thread is about Ray 01 (from Custom Robo: Battle Revolution). This thread is about five different standard Rays from five different Custom Robo titles. This is just about the standard forms and I am excluding the special forms.

parrothead

Smash Lord
*BUMP*

I saw that Custom Robo Arena has two, different, standard Rays: Ray MK. II and Ray MK. III. Now I have added them to the first post of this thread.

I know why most of you want Ray 01, because that is who y'all are familiar with the most. Ray MK. II (Custom Robo V2) came before Ray 01 outside of Japan, but only in SSBM, and most people don't care about them, while they go back to playing SSBM.

GenG

Smash Lord
They should take the V2 model and throw in it many characteristics from other more recent models, like 01, Warrior and MKIII. Like they did with the new Fox.

parrothead

Smash Lord
They should take the V2 model and throw in it many characteristics from other more recent models, like 01, Warrior and MKIII. Like they did with the new Fox.
What is Warrior? A special Ray? I'm excluding all special Rays.

GenG

Smash Lord
Yeah, Ray Warrior was an über powerful version of Ray 01 that you got near of the end of the game in Battle Revolution. It's, along Ray Legend, Oil Can and Chicken Heart, one of the secret models in the game.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I think either of the models from Custom Robo Arena are the most likely ones, seeing that pretty much all the SSBB character models are more or less based on their most recent incarnations. Personally, I like the GX model best for some reason...

Top Bottom