• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

BottlesChan

Smash Rookie
Okay. The ones I said should be pretty decent picks then. Hopefully. Good luck
I'll probably give Roy a try. I don't like Ness' recovery and I always screw up Diddy's side special. I am considering Marth as well, but not too sure on the differences between the 2(3).

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Hey, I main ganon, and lab a lot with pac. Eventually he's going to be my secondary, but right now I need a main. I want to be able to punish longer rolls, (rip ganon) and still play the patient>>> heavy momentum game ganon has. Once he gets going you're screwed. Any advice? I like the spacing game too. I play link off and on.
Ike is like playing Ganon on easy mode. You can try him.

Quibble

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blueurce
Been so long since I tried to get a dedicated main. I enjoy playing Lucina, but I also understand that a low-tier is a low-tier and will generally still get bodied by a good Sheik/Rosalina/ZSS/etc.

I have tried almost every character, (I dislike the Pits and Sonic, so I will always refuse to play them.) and never found one that I would enjoy constantly dedicating time to. I love Samus in Melee, but again, she is god-awful in this game in comparison. I assume Roy will be the first suggestion considering I mentioned above that I enjoy playing Lucina and Roy is similar to both Lucina and Marth but much better, but I don't enjoy Roy.

I know this seems super specific and super picky, but I really want to begin focusing on a character that I will enjoy, and is also tourny viable. Thanks!

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Been so long since I tried to get a dedicated main. I enjoy playing Lucina, but I also understand that a low-tier is a low-tier and will generally still get bodied by a good Sheik/Rosalina/ZSS/etc.

I have tried almost every character, (I dislike the Pits and Sonic, so I will always refuse to play them.) and never found one that I would enjoy constantly dedicating time to. I love Samus in Melee, but again, she is god-awful in this game in comparison. I assume Roy will be the first suggestion considering I mentioned above that I enjoy playing Lucina and Roy is similar to both Lucina and Marth but much better, but I don't enjoy Roy.

I know this seems super specific and super picky, but I really want to begin focusing on a character that I will enjoy, and is also tourny viable. Thanks!
Based off your post, I assume you prefer more slow paced characters that can wall out their opponent well. Mind if I ask what you enjoy about Lucina? It will help me give you a more accurate answer.

Anyways, you may enjoy playing Ike. He has received a lot of buffs from the recent patches, and his results in recent tournaments have been pretty solid.

Quibble

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blueurce
Based off your post, I assume you prefer more slow paced characters that can wall out their opponent well. Mind if I ask what you enjoy about Lucina? It will help me give you a more accurate answer.

Anyways, you may enjoy playing Ike. He has received a lot of buffs from the recent patches, and his results in recent tournaments have been pretty solid.
The reasons as to why I like her are that I adore her design, her moveset is pretty straight forward and all her moves seem to be what I would expect from say a back air, whereas with characters like say Lucas, his back air is weird and has a strange hitbox.

I will test Ike again, but I was never really fond of him, any other suggestions with this new knowledge? (Thanks a bunch for the response btw.)

Taureactor

Smash Rookie
NNID
Taureactor
Hey! I've already been here before, but I'm still having trouble finding a main, I played falco and falcon for a long time, but I'm a bit tired of falcon and falco. Maybe I need a change of pace, like a character that has many setups and plays tricky or deceively. I don't want to totally camp though, here's a list of what I'd like for a character from the most important to the least important:

-A character that have many options, not just one bread and butter
-Have a spike or a "hype move" like a move that has big start-up / end lag / hard to place but hits hard or looks awesome
-A character that has special techs, unique moves or unique mechanics
-A character that is fun to play
-A character that can recover decently
-A character that isn't at the bottom of the tier list
-A character that has style
-A character that is not too slow
-Not very important but I prefer non-dlc characters

I'd like to play more competitive so that's why I'd prefer a character not on the bottom of the tier list. I really like megaman, both in his games and in smash (a bit too much projectiles) but I have no idea how to play him and I cant find guides for him, same thing for greninja, lucario and lucas. This isnt a definitive list, I'm open to all suggestions, also guides or "highlights" videos would be very appreciated :D !

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Hey! I've already been here before, but I'm still having trouble finding a main, I played falco and falcon for a long time, but I'm a bit tired of falcon and falco. Maybe I need a change of pace, like a character that has many setups and plays tricky or deceively. I don't want to totally camp though, here's a list of what I'd like for a character from the most important to the least important:
-Have a spike or a "hype move" like a move that has big start-up / end lag / hard to place but hits hard or looks awesome

I'd like to play more competitive so that's why I'd prefer a character not on the bottom of the tier list, this isnt a definitive list tho I'm open to all suggestions, also guides or "highlights" videos would be very appreciated :D !
Mario

I think that Peach probably best fits that bill right now from what I can think of being this tired on a school night lol. She doesn't have the biggest style moves but basically half her combos are swag anyway cause nobody plays her. Her tech/skill cap is pretty high so you'll have that, she can be pretty fast, she does have that stylish infinite that I'm pretty sure hasn't been patched out yet. I can confirm she's very fun to play, got a pocket peach myself, turnip setups are so much fun. Her recovery isn't bad at all, and her bread and butter is basically rye, pumpernickel, honey wheat, whole grain, sourdough, with cocoa butter, apple butter, almond butter, you name it. Yeah. She's cool. And she's basically the most underused top tier besides yoshi

Taureactor

Smash Rookie
NNID
Taureactor
Mario

I think that Peach probably best fits that bill right now from what I can think of being this tired on a school night lol. She doesn't have the biggest style moves but basically half her combos are swag anyway cause nobody plays her. Her tech/skill cap is pretty high so you'll have that, she can be pretty fast, she does have that stylish infinite that I'm pretty sure hasn't been patched out yet. I can confirm she's very fun to play, got a pocket peach myself, turnip setups are so much fun. Her recovery isn't bad at all, and her bread and butter is basically rye, pumpernickel, honey wheat, whole grain, sourdough, with cocoa butter, apple butter, almond butter, you name it. Yeah. She's cool. And she's basically the most underused top tier besides yoshi
Thanks for the answer! I didn't try peach, I do like her floating abilities, I'll have to test her out, but while messing around with random character, I really liked playing charizard, also just by playing around with him I found some combos combos, he runs fast, has many ways to rack up damage, has a "tipper" mechanic on some of his moves (the flame on ftilt, nair and bair), he has a spike and he's REALLY fun to play! It might be my new main, but before deciding on that I'll definitely check out peach!

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I'm looking for a high/top tier secondary that cover my mains' (:4kirby: and :4bowser:) weaknesses. While they cover each other fairly well (Kirby covers Bowser's awful ZSS/Shiek MUs, Bowser covers niche stuff like Duck Hunt just because he's fast.), it's certainly not perfect as they're both mid/low tiers.
The characters I had in mind were:
:4peach::4mario::rosalina::4yoshi:
Any opinions on the matter would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Marthmario

Smash Lord
I've been really struggling as of late. I'm completely lost to be honest. For the past couple months I've fervently claimed that my mains are: :4marth::4lucina::4feroy::4ryu: and :4charizard:. However, I rarely play :4charizard: anymore and I feel :4marth: and :4lucina: aren't getting me results. I've been playing :4ryu: a lot though and have been enjoying moderately good success. The issue here is that I have character loyalty and lots of it. I've mained :4marth: and :4feroy: in every Smash game and :4marth: is beginning to feel frustrating (Roy works wonders for me however). And as of late, I've started playing :4megaman: a lot and I've really enjoyed him. So my question is, what would you do? Would you drop :4marth::4lucina::4charizard: and focus on :4ryu: :4feroy: and :4megaman:? Or do I stick to my guns and keep working on my :4marth:?

Last edited:

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I've been really struggling as of late. I'm completely lost to be honest. For the past couple months I've fervently claimed that my mains are: :4marth::4lucina::4feroy::4ryu: and :4charizard:. However, I rarely play :4charizard: anymore and I feel :4marth: and :4lucina: aren't getting me results. I've been playing :4ryu: a lot though and have been enjoying moderately good success. The issue here is that I have character loyalty and lots of it. I've mained :4marth: and :4feroy: in every Smash game and :4marth: is beginning to feel frustrating (Roy works wonders for me however). And as of late, I've started playing :4megaman: a lot and I've really enjoyed him. So my question is, what would you do? Would you drop :4marth::4lucina::4charizard: and focus on :4ryu: :4feroy: and :4megaman:? Or do I stick to my guns and keep working on my :4marth:?
Take my opinion with a grain of salt.
Personally, I'd focus almost exclusively on Roy. He has everything you'd want (results, fun, loyalty) so why bother with anyone else?

Quibble

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blueurce

The reasons as to why I like her are that I adore her design, her moveset is pretty straight forward and all her moves seem to be what I would expect from say a back air, whereas with characters like say Lucas, his back air is weird and has a strange hitbox.

I will test Ike again, but I was never really fond of him, any other suggestions with this new knowledge? (Thanks a bunch for the response btw.)
Update from these. I tested Ike, and he feels too slow. I like his power but, I don't like much else about him. Would there be any more suggestions from anyone, or should I just pray the DLC characters are enjoyable for me?

Super-Smasher

Smash Cadet
NNID
awesomesauce425
3DS FC
4699-5514-7129
Hey, I'm here to ask for advice.

What I liked about Marth in Melee and PM is his strong long distance attacks, of course, now it's obviously been nerfed. Who has good strong long distance attacks?

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Hey, I'm here to ask for advice.

What I liked about Marth in Melee and PM is his strong long distance attacks, of course, now it's obviously been nerfed. Who has good strong long distance attacks?
Rosaluma.

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923

I'd like to play more competitive so that's why I'd prefer a character not on the bottom of the tier list. I really like megaman, both in his games and in smash (a bit too much projectiles) but I have no idea how to play him and I cant find guides for him, same thing for greninja, lucario and lucas. This isnt a definitive list, I'm open to all suggestions, also guides or "highlights" videos would be very appreciated :D !
It also seems like maybe:4falcon:

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
Sorry about the double post everyone...
I agree with Zethro. Roy is a it more punishable (atleast to me), but he also has quite a bit more power with him... his fully-charged neutral-b even being an instant kill...

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Who do you think is harder to learn/more technical (preferably from someone experienced in tournaments): :4zss: or :rosalina:? Why? And by how much? Still trying to pick one final character to back up my Blue Team :4megaman::4greninja: so I can stop playing multiple chars all the time, and I've decided I'd like a Top Tier this time so I went with them, besides Sonic (who doesn't really compliment Mega Man or Greninja well imo) they are the only ones of the supposed top tiers I actually like and can see myself playing. But as my first two characters are already pretty technical, I am essentially going for more technicality by choosing ZSS/Rosa and I know both characters aren't too easy to get used to and its going to be a long road. But since none of the others really appeal to me much, I don't really have a better choice and I'm willing to endure said road anyways, but I wanted to know which choice would make things a bit less bumpy, and give some good reasons why too.

Currently leaning a bit more towards Rosalina because I've been playing her for a bit longer than I have been playing ZSS, and at a tournament some time ago I was pitted against a good Sheik in bracket who also destroyed me in friendlies the day before, I could not beat him at all with my actual main & 2ndary but with Rosalina I held my own a bit longer and somehow managed to take at least one game off of him. He still defeated me in both winners and losers in the end, but it is a sign I may have a bit of a better Rosa than I thought I did. I only looked at ZSS a short time ago and still find her hard to use overall, but I found almost an immediate liking to her gameplay and she might fit my style a bit better than Rosa does despite not having as much experience.

What do you think, though?

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Funkermonster Funkermonster
Rosa is more technical. ZSS is very simple to play and to master her is to master fundamentals. (This does not make her braindead, she's just easy to pick up.)
Rosa requires micromanagement, patience, fundamentals, tech...she's very complex.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor

Kirby seems perfect for you.
-A character that have many options, not just one bread and butter: Kirby has FThrow, UTilt, UAir, DAir and DTilt all as combo starters, and most of his moves string very naturally.
-Have a spike or a "hype move" like a move that has big start-up / end lag / hard to place but hits hard or looks awesome: Hammer is 100% this.
-A character that has special techs, unique moves or unique mechanics -HUP cancels and the importance of crouching to his gameplay make him very unique.
-A character that is fun to play: DUH.
-A character that can recover decently: 5 midair jumps and an UpB. I think he's fine.
-A character that isn't at the bottom of the tier list: He's a mid tier.
-A character that has style: Hiiii~
-A character that is not too slow: His frame data is phenomenal. Feels fast though his mobility is a bit subpar.
-Not very important but I prefer non-dlc characters: He's not.

Come along, we need more kirby users.

EDIT: Oops, double post.

Last edited:

Deadlyx

Smash Rookie
I'm having a pretty big problem with deciding who my main should be. My problem is coming from the fact that the only two characters I've ever played as in For Glory, :4bowser: and :4ganondorf:, are not exactly tournament viable characters. I'm trying to break into my local scene and I'm looking for a character with good power and is a small character. I've been trying to use :4pikachu:, would he be good for what I need? Or is there a better suited character that fits this style?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'm having a pretty big problem with deciding who my main should be. My problem is coming from the fact that the only two characters I've ever played as in For Glory, :4bowser: and :4ganondorf:, are not exactly tournament viable characters. I'm trying to break into my local scene and I'm looking for a character with good power and is a small character. I've been trying to use :4pikachu:, would he be good for what I need? Or is there a better suited character that fits this style?
Depends on how small you're willing to go, but in terms of tiny characters that pack a punch, Pikachu is probably your best bet. He isn't that strong, but his combo game is insane and his smashes can finish the stock quicker than you'd expect.

Kirby's pretty good in that sense too, but he has no approach options and is very slow. Not tournament viable right now.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I mean, you don't absolutely need a fast character to do well in tournaments. DK and especially Ike look pretty viable right now. Dorf isn't that bad either...

Pikachu is fast but not extremely powerful. Olimar is very powerful considering his frame data and size, although I'm not sure if you want to manage Pikmin... Fox is also pretty powerful and fast but he's more average-sized.

Deadlyx

Smash Rookie
I mean, you don't absolutely need a fast character to do well in tournaments. DK and especially Ike look pretty viable right now. Dorf isn't that bad either...

Pikachu is fast but not extremely powerful. Olimar is very powerful considering his frame data and size, although I'm not sure if you want to manage Pikmin... Fox is also pretty powerful and fast but he's more average-sized.
I'm mostly concerned right now about how much I've been comboed by other characters, so I don't want a heavy character, but I still want to have that power that bigger characters have. How hard is it to manage pikmin? Never used Olimar before.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm mostly concerned right now about how much I've been comboed by other characters, so I don't want a heavy character, but I still want to have that power that bigger characters have. How hard is it to manage pikmin? Never used Olimar before.
Not very experienced with Olimar myself so I couldn't say. You should probably look around the Olimar boards and ask a few questions, they'll probably point out the Olimar basics too if you're interested.

Meian

Smash Cadet
I've played Smash since N64 days and always been mostly a tourney viable :4ness: player (:4palutena: / :4ganondorf: occasionally and in Customs in Smash 4) and I was wondering what side character I should use to counter any problematic picks against him especially his recovery. I am aware he is a fairly strong pick in Smash4 but certain characters like :rosalina: can "lol" at his recovery. Mostly curious for potential backups in those scenarios.

While I am aware that :4palutena: / :4ganondorf: isn't strong outside of Customs generally in higher play, others I have used include: :4wario2::4feroy: :4darkpit: :4lucas::4myfriends: :4littlemac: (though these last 3 pretty much have similar recovery problems lol). Any suggestions for the backup pick don't have to be from that list.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
If you're concerned about getting combo'd, don't be. Keep in mind that the adverse effect of being hard to combo is that you die much sooner, and heavies/fast fallers can take more advantage of rage.
If you love :4bowser: and :4ganondorf:, use them in the tournament scene first. See how it works out. If it goes badly, either get better or consider switching then.
If you're set on playing a solo viable, fast character, your options are :4pikachu:,:4sheik:,:4yoshi:, and :4fox:.

I've played Smash since N64 days and always been mostly a tourney viable :4ness: player (:4palutena: / :4ganondorf: occasionally and in Customs in Smash 4) and I was wondering what side character I should use to counter any problematic picks against him especially his recovery. I am aware he is a fairly strong pick in Smash4 but certain characters like :rosalina: can "lol" at his recovery. Mostly curious for potential backups in those scenarios.

While I am aware that :4palutena: / :4ganondorf: isn't strong outside of Customs generally in higher play, others I have used include: :4wario2::4feroy: :4darkpit: :4lucas::4myfriends: :4littlemac: (though these last 3 pretty much have similar recovery problems lol). Any suggestions for the backup pick don't have to be from that list.
I've heard from a :4ness: main in my scene that :4fox:is a good secondary to deal with Rosa. Aside from that, there's the obvious :4sheik:, and from what I've heard Esam say, :4pikachu: should do just fine.
Everyone else in your list is an awful idea for fighting Rosa except for maybe :4myfriends: and :4wario:.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Difficult, but manageable.

He's the kind of character you really want to devote yourself to, because my god you need to be good with the micromanagement to get the results with him.

Taureactor

Smash Rookie
NNID
Taureactor
Kirby seems perfect for you.
-A character that have many options, not just one bread and butter: Kirby has FThrow, UTilt, UAir, DAir and DTilt all as combo starters, and most of his moves string very naturally.
-Have a spike or a "hype move" like a move that has big start-up / end lag / hard to place but hits hard or looks awesome: Hammer is 100% this.
-A character that has special techs, unique moves or unique mechanics -HUP cancels and the importance of crouching to his gameplay make him very unique.
-A character that is fun to play: DUH.
-A character that can recover decently: 5 midair jumps and an UpB. I think he's fine.
-A character that isn't at the bottom of the tier list: He's a mid tier.
-A character that has style: Hiiii~
-A character that is not too slow: His frame data is phenomenal. Feels fast though his mobility is a bit subpar.
-Not very important but I prefer non-dlc characters: He's not.

Come along, we need more kirby users.

EDIT: Oops, double post.
Thanks for the reply! You're right I never played kirby, I should try him out, also what does HUP cancels mean? But yeah his unique mechanic for me definitely is his neutral b which is just awesome! I'll try to find some guides or highlights to get how his combos works, but there seems to be a lot of options from what you wrote! Yeah the hammer is really "read-heavy" which I like, he even has a spike! I like kirby as a character too, I played a lot of kirby and the amazing mirror! I'll test him out this week-end, thanks again for the reply!

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Thanks for the reply! You're right I never played kirby, I should try him out, also what does HUP cancels mean? But yeah his unique mechanic for me definitely is his neutral b which is just awesome! I'll try to find some guides or highlights to get how his combos works, but there seems to be a lot of options from what you wrote! Yeah the hammer is really "read-heavy" which I like, he even has a spike! I like kirby as a character too, I played a lot of kirby and the amazing mirror! I'll test him out this week-end, thanks again for the reply!
My Smash Corner realeased a video on true combos you can do with other character's abilities as Kirby recently too. You should check that out as well. HUP canceling is a technique where Kirby makes the HUP! Noise he does for his dair but no hitboxes come out. It's a small mixup that you can use. Not the most useful I'd say as a Kirby main myself but it's there

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
My Smash Corner realeased a video on true combos you can do with other character's abilities as Kirby recently too. You should check that out as well. HUP canceling is a technique where Kirby makes the HUP! Noise he does for his dair but no hitboxes come out. It's a small mixup that you can use. Not the most useful I'd say as a Kirby main myself but it's there
HUP cancelling is one of Kirby's most useful baits and one of the easiest ways to get an inhale avaliable. DAir is so good that people get used to the audio cue as it's used quite a bit.

No problem. Just trying to help others find their favorite character in this game (it took me about 10 months.)
It's not even a biased response (though I am a Kirby main.), I legitimately think Kirby could be a good fit for you.

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
HUP cancelling is one of Kirby's most useful baits and one of the easiest ways to get an inhale avaliable. DAir is so good that people get used to the audio cue as it's used quite a bit.
Well yeah, I know. But I'm just saying that people listen to music so it's not useful against anybody. Not to mention if you're coming down on somebody they will 75% of the time expect you to be coming down with dair anyway, from my experience. I do see use in it, but you can condition people and achieve that same effect

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
Well yeah, I know. But I'm just saying that people listen to music so it's not useful against anybody. Not to mention if you're coming down on somebody they will 75% of the time expect you to be coming down with dair anyway, from my experience. I do see use in it, but you can condition people and achieve that same effect
Right, I forgot most major tournaments have poor/no audio(and people not listening to the game).
For people who do use game audio though...

A Rangoon

Smash Rookie
So I've recently decided to try to get competitive with Sm4sh and I think the biggest issue (and probably a common issue) is finding a character that fits. Originally I was trying campy characters, and while I was enjoying them a friend of mine who is much better than myself was telling me to try rushdown-based characters as he believes it fits my playstyle better.

My question would be, am I better off trying to adjust my style to fit the more campy characters, or do I try to learn some rushdown characters and see if anyone sticks? I think the only real must for me would be decent-good recovery, as the only character with poor recovery I enjoy is Little Mac. Another point would be that I played G&W the last two games, but I heard he was pretty bad, and the way you have to play him has changed massively.

Kulty

Smash Ace
So I've recently decided to try to get competitive with Sm4sh and I think the biggest issue (and probably a common issue) is finding a character that fits. Originally I was trying campy characters, and while I was enjoying them a friend of mine who is much better than myself was telling me to try rushdown-based characters as he believes it fits my playstyle better.

My question would be, am I better off trying to adjust my style to fit the more campy characters, or do I try to learn some rushdown characters and see if anyone sticks? I think the only real must for me would be decent-good recovery, as the only character with poor recovery I enjoy is Little Mac. Another point would be that I played G&W the last two games, but I heard he was pretty bad, and the way you have to play him has changed massively.
No. Game and Watch has tons of potential. Sure, he may not be as good as before, but still a pretty good character if you know how to use him. To answer your question, well, if you prefer campy characters, go for them. You don't have to be influenced by your friend to try rushdown characters. Listen to yourself unless if you really need help. My advice personally is to try them both and see what you like the most. Then you can make your personal decision. I suggest you still try:4gaw:, great potential since he has one of the best combo throws in the whole game which can lead you to a 9 if you're lucky enough. It takes time.

A Rangoon

Smash Rookie
No. Game and Watch has tons of potential. Sure, he may not be as good as before, but still a pretty good character if you know how to use him. To answer your question, well, if you prefer campy characters, go for them. You don't have to be influenced by your friend to try rushdown characters. Listen to yourself unless if you really need help. My advice personally is to try them both and see what you like the most. Then you can make your personal decision. I suggest you still try:4gaw:, great potential since he has one of the best combo throws in the whole game which can lead you to a 9 if you're lucky enough. It takes time.

I suppose I will, I'm going to mess around with a list of characters today and see what sticks. Theres roughly about 10 characters that I could see myself playing to any extent so it shouldn't be too hard.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Hey guys I'm looking for a character with a pretty specific playstyle. I'll just list the attributes I'm after

Fastfaller
Good groundspeed, or at least a good initial dash
Not short-raged
Good jab and tilts
Good dash attack and dash/pivot grab
Has a quick bread and butter fair that I can use for punishing jumps
Can kill early, whether it be throug kill confirms or edgeguarding

I don't really care about defensive issues. I don't mind if they're comboable, can't land, can't recover etc. I'm basically looking for a more ground-based character who spaces with boxing then punishes actions with dash attack/grab or pivot grabs. Their advantage/combo game doesn't have to be too scary, but like I said being able to kill is important.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
I suppose I will, I'm going to mess around with a list of characters today and see what sticks. Theres roughly about 10 characters that I could see myself playing to any extent so it shouldn't be too hard.
Well, good! Try to mess around with these 10 characters and see what fits you. The less characters you have, the easier it is for you to pick whoever you want to main. I'm struggling between 7 characters along with Mario right now. I'll just wait until every DLC character has been released to pick my final mains. I've been doing that since day 1 of Smash 3DS, and Mario was my only character I sticked to in my entire Smash 4 experience.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Hey guys I'm looking for a character with a pretty specific playstyle. I'll just list the attributes I'm after

Fastfaller
Not short-raged
Good jab and tilts

I don't really care about defensive issues. I don't mind if they're comboable, can't land, can't recover etc. I'm basically looking for a more ground-based character who spaces with boxing then punishes actions with dash attack/grab or pivot grabs. Their advantage/combo game doesn't have to be too scary, but like I said being able to kill is important.

Thanks in advance
Honestly? It sounds like :4myfriends:'s the character for you. Not the fastest in ground speed, but he has one of the better Shield Dashes in the game and also benefits from Dance Trotting. Range is something he's far from short on outside of lacking a projectile. His Jb as a whole has been majorly buffed since 1.0.8, and while it's frame 4 startup, its range is really good. So good that optimally spaced on a shield, it's difficult to punish. Dash Attack, which was once one of his worst moves, is now something to fear at midrange: it comes out faster, it hits harder, it can cancel out certain projectiles spaced correctly, and it kills. His Dash Grab is also solid with good reward in terms of throw combos. Ike FAir can do that, but it's more for controlling space(Think Marth), following up from UThrow, and going offstage. Killing is usually no problem: I THINK he has kill confirms like UThrow > UAir on FFers, but his edgeguard is solid with walk off FAir, BAir, Counter on those with hitboxes, and Eruption.

His ground game, again, is mostly Jab, Tilts, and grabs. Jab and Tilts, see the above. DTilt is also a solid spacing option, and starting around the 30s, can combo into FAir.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm a diehard :4megaman: player, and he's someone I'm never putting away. I've also noticed that some characters like :4charizard: and :4falco: got a lot of buffs that helped them out greatly. Yeah, they need a few things fixed (Falco's lasers...), but they've been greatly improved since launch. Apart from minor Leaf Shield buffs (good buffs, but still), Mega Man hasn't gotten a lot of buffs. I feel one of the reasons why Mega Man support has dropped is because of how he hasn't gotten anything really outstanding when it comes to buffs. Mega Man was one of the most hyped characters so seeing him so underutilized is disappointing in an entirely new level. One day, he'll be hyped up once again, and that will be a glorious day when that happens.

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor

Fastfaller
Not short-raged
Good jab and tilts

Thanks in advance
Incoming wall of text.

:4fox::4ryu::4sheik::4pikachu::4diddy: cover all of your prerequisites. Ryu is a little on the average speed side, but he's not too bad.
:4metaknight:covers all of them better than the ones above except for the BnB FAir (that's BAir or UAir or NAir for him) and the "short ranged" comment. (though only some moves suffer from this)
:4zss: covers them all except for "good grab". It's her biggest flaw, but she can kill super early (same as MK) with UAir -> UpB strings. (Watch Leo vs. Mr R and Nairo vs. Dabuz at Paragon for examples of both.)
:4yoshi:is in the same boat as ZSS. everything else is spot on but his grab is trash.
:4littlemac:is a great choice too obviously since everything you don't care about is stuff he doesn't have. His grab is pretty poor but everything checks out (even the comment about the FAir, his FAir actually sets up his ground moves amazingly and can gimp)

:4myfriends: would be perfect for you, but he's just a bit too slow so I didn't put him in the list of those who have everything you want. His punishing isn't slow in the slightest, however.

I recommend you consider those five too.

:4fox:4th fastest running speed, has his blaster and decent melee range, good fast jab and all his tilts have a lot of good uses, his dash attack sets up for combos and his grab is nice and fast, good for punishing shields. He doesn't have very reliable grab followups, but they do exist. His FAir is good and can set up for stuff back on the ground, though his other aerials are better, and for killing early...USmash, UAir. That's all.
:4ryu:yikes this guy's scary. Decent ground speed, good range, amazing jab and tilts, good dash attack and grab, amazing FAir, and kills at like 60 with true Shoryuken which can be combo'd into.

:4sheik:I can't say anything about her that hasn't been said a million times. Let's just say she covers all your criteria and then some, and move on.

:4pikachu: is just awesome. His jab is a bit iffy but it has quite a few uses so I gave it a pass, and everything else checks out amazingly.

:4diddy:Watch ZeRo or MVD and you'll get the gist of what this chimp can do (and he can do a lot.)

There's ten options for you that completely/mostly fit your criteria. Hope this was helpful!

Top Bottom