• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
I would like help to find good main for me. I would like a fighter that can work on the offense, plus not get KO'ed from the word go if used right. I know it's a play whoever you want thing, but it doesn't hurt to main someone. Any suggestions on who should I try out?

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I would like help to find good main for me. I would like a fighter that can work on the offense, plus not get KO'ed from the word go if used right. I know it's a play whoever you want thing, but it doesn't hurt to main someone. Any suggestions on who should I try out?
Well, from the description you have, I'd say it's good to try:

:4mario: :4falcon: :4yoshi: :4miibrawl:

These characters can play pretty offensively and can survive pretty well if used optimally. Ideally Mii Brawler is best in customs-on scenarios, but it can be serviceable even in default.

Blue_Sword_Edge

Smash Lord
NNID
Blue_Sword_Edge
3DS FC
1633-5415-5386
Well, from the description you have, I'd say it's good to try:

:4mario: :4falcon: :4yoshi: :4miibrawl:

These characters can play pretty offensively and can survive pretty well if used optimally. Ideally Mii Brawler is best in customs-on scenarios, but it can be serviceable even in default.
Anything about the customs of other the 3 characters? The Miis don't really grab my attention. Thank you for your suggestions.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Anything about the customs of other the 3 characters? The Miis don't really grab my attention. Thank you for your suggestions.
Mario is the devil with customs. Fast Fireball improves his ability to zone and force the approach, Gust Cape and Shocking Cape have their uses (edgeguarding and d-throw follow kill, respectively), Explosive Punch is a killer OOS option, Scalding FLUDD is a disjointed grab confirm and, most importantly, he's still viable in customs-off.

Can't say anything about Yoshi, I don't play him, and I don't think Captain Falcon gains anything distinct from his customs.

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
Mario is the devil with customs. Fast Fireball improves his ability to zone and force the approach, Gust Cape and Shocking Cape have their uses (edgeguarding and d-throw follow kill, respectively), Explosive Punch is a killer OOS option, Scalding FLUDD is a disjointed grab confirm and, most importantly, he's still viable in customs-off.

Can't say anything about Yoshi, I don't play him, and I don't think Captain Falcon gains anything distinct from his customs.
Doesn't Captain Falcon gain an infinite from his customs? Or was that patched out?

Seige

Smash Cadet
Doesn't Captain Falcon gain an infinite from his customs? Or was that patched out?
Most likely patched out. Not sure tho

I think you should just play whichever out of those 3 you like best as they have an all in one, one with zoning and edgeguards, and one in between.

Last edited:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
If you are talking about the infinite with one of his custom down b's, I don't think it was patched out. With that said, most of Captain Falcon's customs are nothing special. I believe he has more success in customs off tournaments.

Mario on the other hand is evil with customs. He gets a lot of busted stuff when customs are on.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Here is my question: I enjoy Marth's play style a lot (mostly "spacing" with long ranged melee attacks), but I don't want to play any of the human characters (except Wii Fit Trainer perhaps), especially the Fire Emblem ones. Do any of the cartoon characters come close to Marth's play style? I read somewhere that Meta Knight is relatively similar, but the way I play Meta Knight is nothing like how I see Marth being played.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Here is my question: I enjoy Marth's play style a lot (mostly "spacing" with long ranged melee attacks), but I don't want to play any of the human characters (except Wii Fit Trainer perhaps), especially the Fire Emblem ones. Do any of the cartoon characters come close to Marth's play style? I read somewhere that Meta Knight is relatively similar, but the way I play Meta Knight is nothing like how I see Marth being played.
Meta Knight is more fast paced than anything and his attacks are rather short range and meant to be comboed.

If we're talking non-humans and a melee based spacing game, maybe Bowser? It's probably not the best comparison since Bowser has attacks nowhere near Marth's length, but he still does high damage up-close and scares the opponent with the threat of getting smacked in the face or command grabbed like Marth scares the opponent with the idea of taking a tipper smash or Shield Breaker to the face.

Can't really think of anyone else except maybe Charizard, but I don't know much about it so whatever.

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8
You ask too much, forget about it.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I'm gonna say donkey kong. Not entirely the same, but he should work. Has more grab confirms than Marth as well

D-Man9293

Smash Ace
How many mains is too many would you say?

I know for sure that my four MAIN mains are Ike, Shulk, Greninja, and Bowser Jr. But I've also been pretty good (IMO) with Villager, Roy, Ryu, and to a lesser extent, Samus. I think it's really hard to keep track of so many mains, as well asto keep practicing and actually USING these characters. So how many do you think is too many?

Joaco

Triforce of Wisdom
NNID
JoacoRyu8

I know for sure that my four MAIN mains are Ike, Shulk, Greninja, and Bowser Jr. But I've also been pretty good (IMO) with Villager, Roy, Ryu, and to a lesser extent, Samus. I think it's really hard to keep track of so many mains, as well asto keep practicing and actually USING these characters. So how many do you think is too many?
More than two is too many. You should have only one main or two, if you have more than that you will end being a jack of all trades, master of none.

Seige

Smash Cadet

Unless you're M2K more than 3 is usually too many although most people can't devote enough time to 3 either, so usually choose 2.

Kulty

Smash Ace
What are :4mario:and:4villager:common weaknesses and their common bad matchups (don't give me :4sheik:, because I know she beats everyone)? The only common weakness that I can find between the two is that the two may have trouble finishing off stocks, so maybe a powerful character that has an easy time KOing or easy kill setups that finish stocks at relatively low percents?

Last edited:

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
Is there a thread that has a list of counter characters? Like mario hard counters character X.

Aso, what if I want to main Missingno (random)?

Since I'm bad at fighting games anyway....

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Is there a thread that has a list of counter characters? Like mario hard counters character X.

I've always thought that was an interesting concept. I see nothing wrong with it

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
Hello all. Thanks to you, I found Pit is the prefect character for me. I want one secondary to cover Pit's bad Matchups though.

I won't take these characters however.

:4fox::4sheik::4sonic::4zss::4pikachu::rosalina::4ness::4feroy::4ryu: Anyone else is fine.

TAFJ

Smash Rookie
I am pretty new to Smashboards, as this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone could help me choose a character to play alongside my main, :4rob:, to cover it's weaknesses. I was personally thinking :rosalina: would be a good choice, but I'm only fresh out of scrub-hood so I'm not sure. I'm pretty loyal to :4pit:, but I don't know if he's enough. I'm generally not too fond of the high-tiers, (Rosa being one of the few exceptions) so if you do make a recommendation try and keep that mind.

If anyone could give their input, I'd appreciate it!

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hello all. Thanks to you, I found Pit is the prefect character for me. I want one secondary to cover Pit's bad Matchups though.

I won't take these characters however.

:4fox::4sheik::4sonic::4zss::4pikachu::rosalina::4ness::4feroy::4ryu: Anyone else is fine.
I can try to help you with that. So for :4pit:, the first thing that you want to do is to give a list of weaknesses that Pit has. So I`m gonna give them from my experience with Pit (because I also love this character and I play him a lot) :
  • Very limited KO options
  • Very gimpable recovery due to him having no hitboxes
  • No options or barely any effective options to deal against rushdown characters
Based on these main points, you can try to pick a character that can help cover these weaknesses for Pit. The best characters that can fit this description imo are :
  • :4littlemac:: can shut down Pit and Dark Pit completely, but be careful for recovery.
  • :4metaknight:: can deal against rushdown characters, great KO setups and great recovery that does have hitboxes to defend.
  • :4mario:: a character that is similar to Pit, but it's slightly easier to get KOs in compensation of much worst recovery.
  • :4yoshi:: he can deal with rushdown characters due to eggs and a recovery that has super armor.
  • :4falcon:: true definition of rushdown character. Packs a punch but with bad recovery.
  • :4gaw:: has a ton of potential, and man he can be really good if you know how to use his Chef, down-throw and Up-B.
  • :4shulk:: I hope you're really feeling it.
You may disagree with me, but that's the best characters I can find that can totally fit this description. Hope this helps!

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
I can try to help you with that. So for :4pit:, the first thing that you want to do is to give a list of weaknesses that Pit has. So I`m gonna give them from my experience with Pit (because I also love this character and I play him a lot) :
  • No options or barely any effective options to deal against rushdown characters
Based on these main points, you can try to pick a character that can help cover these weaknesses for Pit. The best characters that can fit this description imo are :
  • :4littlemac:: can shut down Pit and Dark Pit completely, but be careful for recovery.
  • :4metaknight:: can deal against rushdown characters, great KO setups and great recovery that does have hitboxes to defend.
  • :4mario:: a character that is similar to Pit, but it's slightly easier to get KOs in compensation of much worst recovery.
  • :4yoshi:: he can deal with rushdown characters due to eggs and a recovery that has super armor.
  • :4falcon:: true definition of rushdown character. Packs a punch but with bad recovery.
  • :4gaw:: has a ton of potential, and man he can be really good if you know how to use his Chef, down-throw and Up-B.
You may disagree with me, but that's the best characters I can find that can totally fit this description. Hope this helps!
That reminds me of Zero's video of whether or not Shulk could be the best character....

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
Not taking characters with a bad/predictable recovery, so :4falcon::4littlemac::4shulk: and :4mario: are out. I really don't like :4gaw:, so he's out too. I think :4metaknight: is best for me because of several recovery options, feels rewarding to play unlike :4yoshi:, and I like the idea of Pit being an angel, and Meta Knight being a devil's servant, so yeah. :4metaknight: Is definitely the secondary for me.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Not taking characters with a bad/predictable recovery, so :4falcon::4littlemac::4shulk: and :4mario: are out. I really don't like :4gaw:, so he's out too. I think :4metaknight: is best for me because of several recovery options, feels rewarding to play unlike :4yoshi:, and I like the idea of Pit being an angel, and Meta Knight being a devil's servant, so yeah. :4metaknight: Is definitely the secondary for me.
Oh oops. My bad! But yeah. Meta Knight was actually the first character that comes through my head considering a good character for Pit. Many people starts to pick Meta Knight recently, so watch out! You can surely find other characters, but Meta Knight can be a good start for you.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681

That would be known as the Matchup thread... and I guess there is none so far.

Matchup discussion for most characters is still ongoing, the game is just nearing it's first year since release and yet there are many matchups that have yet to be explored. That, and with the coming of DLC characters, it keeps more matchups coming.

You can main random if you can devote enough time to learning how to play every single character in the game. If that's how you have the most fun playing, then go for it. I personally would stick with one or two characters to main, but if you want to play whoever you can try.

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923

Matchup discussion for most characters is still ongoing, the game is just nearing it's first year since release and yet there are many matchups that have yet to be explored. That, and with the coming of DLC characters, it keeps more matchups coming.

You can main random if you can devote enough time to learning how to play every single character in the game. If that's how you have the most fun playing, then go for it. I personally would stick with one or two characters to main, but if you want to play whoever you can try.
Well, I'm actually not sure... If I don't do that, I'm going to go for Captain Falcon (although even if I do main him, I might choose random every once in a while).

The thing is, I fluctuate a lot on who I want to play(at least on For Glory and with my friends). For a while, I will want to play Falcon, then I'll want to play Diddy. Then maybe Lucario. Donkey Kong, Sheik, etc...

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Well, I'm actually not sure... If I don't do that, I'm going to go for Captain Falcon (although even if I do main him, I might choose random every once in a while).

The thing is, I fluctuate a lot on who I want to play(at least on For Glory and with my friends). For a while, I will want to play Falcon, then I'll want to play Diddy. Then maybe Lucario. Donkey Kong, Sheik, etc...
If you're planning to compete in tournaments/competitions, stick with just a few characters So Falcon could be one of the main ones you play, then you could have Diddy as well.

If you're just playing friendlies (for glory, games with friends, online, etc, I consider all those friendly games), then feel free to cycle between different characters. You familiarize yourself more with them this way in case you ever run into them in tournament.

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
If you're planning to compete in tournaments/competitions, stick with just a few characters So Falcon could be one of the main ones you play, then you could have Diddy as well.

If you're just playing friendlies (for glory, games with friends, online, etc, I consider all those friendly games), then feel free to cycle between different characters. You familiarize yourself more with them this way in case you ever run into them in tournament.
Mm, I suppose so. Thanks.

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923

Should I talk to a mod if I wanted to request a Matchup thread be made? (I know that I can just make one, but no one really follows me.)

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I am pretty new to Smashboards, as this is my first post. I was wondering if anyone could help me choose a character to play alongside my main, :4rob:, to cover it's weaknesses. I was personally thinking :rosalina: would be a good choice, but I'm only fresh out of scrub-hood so I'm not sure. I'm pretty loyal to :4pit:, but I don't know if he's enough. I'm generally not too fond of the high-tiers, (Rosa being one of the few exceptions) so if you do make a recommendation try and keep that mind.

If anyone could give their input, I'd appreciate it!
R.O.B. is a heavy projectile and trap-based character, so I'd recommend a character that's faster and can combo well. I don't think Pit really works as a secondary, since he has decent matchups but doesn't really excel in what he does; you'd want a character with more definite strengths for your secondary.

Do you want a character that's totally distinct from R.O.B., or a character that's in the same vein?

Dave said it best, you may want to examine the character boards' respective matchup threads.

What kind of character do you have in mind?

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
R.O.B. is a heavy projectile and trap-based character, so I'd recommend a character that's faster and can combo well. I don't think Pit really works as a secondary, since he has decent matchups but doesn't really excel in what he does; you'd want a character with more definite strengths for your secondary.

Do you want a character that's totally distinct from R.O.B., or a character that's in the same vein?

Dave said it best, you may want to examine the character boards' respective matchup threads.

I didn't. I just wanted to know if there was a matchup thread for every character.

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
I know that :4pikachu:gets an infinite with his customs, and I don't think it really can be patched out because of how the game works...although I could be wrong....
Actually, Pikachu's was patched out because the default thunder jolt had things altered about their properties.

TAFJ

Smash Rookie

I've noticed that R.O.B. suffers most from characters that have the maneuverability to get around its spacing tools, and the speed/ range to shut it out at short range. It is also combo-food. Characters like Yoshi, Mario, Pit (disjoints) give it a hard time.
Top-tiers in general seem to beat it. I think know what beats R.O.B., just not who exactly can cover its weaknesses. Based on my knowledge I thought that Rosa would be a good pick.

For your last question, I'd probably want someone closer to how R.O.B. plays, but thats not all I'm willing to try. Characters that aren't rushdown really. I tried fuddling around Pika, Cpt. Falcon, ZSS, Fox, etc., and it didn't really click.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I've noticed that R.O.B. suffers most from characters that have the maneuverability to get around its spacing tools, and the speed/ range to shut it out at short range. It is also combo-food. Characters like Yoshi, Mario, Pit (disjoints) give it a hard time.
Top-tiers in general seem to beat it. I think know what beats R.O.B., just not who exactly can cover its weaknesses. Based on my knowledge I thought that Rosa would be a good pick.

For your last question, I'd probably want someone closer to how R.O.B. plays, but thats not all I'm willing to try. Characters that aren't rushdown really. I tried fuddling around Pika, Cpt. Falcon, ZSS, Fox, etc., and it didn't really click.
Rosa's a good pick if you have fun with it. That's the most important distinction.

TAFJ

Smash Rookie
Rosa's a good pick if you have fun with it. That's the most important distinction.
Yeah, but my problem is that I have fun with too many characters lol. I thought I'd get less personal to deduce a secondary/ co-main/ whatever :dizzy:

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, but my problem is that I have fun with too many characters lol. I thought I'd get less personal to deduce a secondary/ co-main/ whatever :dizzy:
Who do you get the best results with?

If you're in a competitive scenario and you reckon R.O.B. isn't the way to go, which character do you think you can do best with?

Sometimes you just need to consider what your instincts say.

When you find the character that's right for you, you will know.

Last edited:

TAFJ

Smash Rookie
Who do you get the best results with?

If you're in a competitive scenario and you reckon R.O.B. isn't the way to go, which character do you think you can do best with?

Sometimes you just need to consider what your instincts say.

When you find the character that's right for you, you will know.
Been there, done that. Right now, I'm primarily looking for a character that will help check R.O.B.'s weaknesses. Thank you for the advice, I may have given similar advice, but I don't think your answers are exactly the kind I'm looking for.

(Eh. It may appear that I'm being difficult or ungrateful, IDK, but I'm not trying to be.)

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Been there, done that. Right now, I'm primarily looking for a character that will help check R.O.B.'s weaknesses. Thank you for the advice, I may have given similar advice, but I don't think your answers are exactly the kind I'm looking for.

(Eh. It may appear that I'm being difficult or ungrateful, IDK, but I'm not trying to be.)
Okay.

R.O.B. is a defensive heavyweight projectile / trap-based character. He needs to zone the opponent out and then setup for kill confirms. He's a great spacer and zoner with a solid advantage, but his disadvantage isn't very good and he doesn't have much responses to rushdown pressure - ergo, he can struggle with the top-tiers.

What you want, then, is a character with good CQC options that can respond to pressure. Pit's good in that respect, he's got a good jab, exceptional dash and pivot grabs, a cross-up option in side-b and he can space well with tilts and airs. The big condition with Pit is that you need to know how to play him to get the best results, since he relies on good fundamentals and footsies to get the job done. He's easy to pick up as a secondary, that's fair to say - I just don't know if he really checks R.O.B.'s weaknesses, rather than just covering them up.

Have you considered Mario? He's got a good projectile to set up for combos and he can easily reset to neutral with n-air, something R.O.B. can't really do. He can space and force the approach with fireball, but in contrast to R.O.B., he wants to be on top of the opponent and keep on the pressure. He's quick enough to not have to worry about getting pressured himself, but because his zoning game isn't as good as R.O.B.'s, his combo setups and kill confirms have to come from his own reflexes and footsies. His edgeguarding is pretty top-notch, so that's another potential weakness of R.O.B.'s that he can check.

How's that?

Top Bottom