• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

TAFJ

Smash Rookie
Okay.

R.O.B. is a defensive heavyweight projectile / trap-based character. He needs to zone the opponent out and then setup for kill confirms. He's a great spacer and zoner with a solid advantage, but his disadvantage isn't very good and he doesn't have much responses to rushdown pressure - ergo, he can struggle with the top-tiers.

What you want, then, is a character with good CQC options that can respond to pressure. Pit's good in that respect, he's got a good jab, exceptional dash and pivot grabs, a cross-up option in side-b and he can space well with tilts and airs. The big condition with Pit is that you need to know how to play him to get the best results, since he relies on good fundamentals and footsies to get the job done. He's easy to pick up as a secondary, that's fair to say - I just don't know if he really checks R.O.B.'s weaknesses, rather than just covering them up.

Have you considered Mario? He's got a good projectile to set up for combos and he can easily reset to neutral with n-air, something R.O.B. can't really do. He can space and force the approach with fireball, but in contrast to R.O.B., he wants to be on top of the opponent and keep on the pressure. He's quick enough to not have to worry about getting pressured himself, but because his zoning game isn't as good as R.O.B.'s, his combo setups and kill confirms have to come from his own reflexes and footsies. His edgeguarding is pretty top-notch, so that's another potential weakness of R.O.B.'s that he can check.

How's that?
Thank you. What you said about Pit was very helpful, and thing about Mario was informative as well. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but this was a helpful input.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Does anyone have any advice about a secondary for :4falcon:?
Falcon's a good rushdown / punish fighter, but he can't handle pressure himself. I think you want a character that can play more defensively and, if possible, play the spacing / zoning game better. He's got good matchups and doesn't really need a secondary for the most part, but for the characters he does struggle with (i.e. characters that can punish him right back and force him into a disadvantaged state), I think a more defensive character that can still play in close-quarters is a good idea.

How about Zero Suit Samus? She's got a great neutral and solid disadvantage state, and she can pressure opponents well with her Paralyzer and grab options!

Prometheus16

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4141-4106-0923
Falcon's a good rushdown / punish fighter, but he can't handle pressure himself. I think you want a character that can play more defensively and, if possible, play the spacing / zoning game better. He's got good matchups and doesn't really need a secondary for the most part, but for the characters he does struggle with (i.e. characters that can punish him right back and force him into a disadvantaged state), I think a more defensive character that can still play in close-quarters is a good idea.

How about Zero Suit Samus? She's got a great neutral and solid disadvantage state, and she can pressure opponents well with her Paralyzer and grab options!
Maybe. Any other suggestions?

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Yeah, but I feel a nerf coming her way... :laugh:
Same. I hope so. I'm a partial sheik main myself and I want that. But even if she does get needed a lot of her playstyle and strengths should be relatively similar. I'd go for Wii fit, marth, Wario, or rob tho depending on which you'd rather play (bias kicking in....go marth or Wii fit)

CnSyren

Smash Rookie
I am looking for a character with a good neutral and punish game that is fast. i am currently playing zero suit but playing her neutral against rush down is hard. any recs?

Seige

Smash Cadet
I am looking for a character with a good neutral and punish game that is fast. i am currently playing zero suit but playing her neutral against rush down is hard. any recs?
May be a little off here but first things that popped into my mind were :4diddy:and:4falcon:.

Kulty

Smash Ace
For those of you who watch japanese anime, which characters in Smash do you think have an anime feel to it? The characters that I think are :4marth::4pit::4falcon::4shulk::4darkpit::4feroy::4ryu:. I don't know if there's others.

Seige

Smash Cadet
For those of you who watch japanese anime, which characters in Smash do you think have an anime feel to it? The characters that I think are :4marth::4pit::4falcon::4shulk::4darkpit::4feroy::4ryu:. I don't know if there's others.
Every single one of them because they're all Japanese made characters.
No, but seriously why are you asking here lol?

(Well Pit already has an short anime thing and the Zelda series can be(ignore awful CGI) while you're also missing the other FE characters who btw actually have cutscenes in their games. Also, all the Pokemon, ha ha...)

Kulty

Smash Ace

(Well Pit already has an short anime thing and the Zelda series can be(ignore awful CGI) while you're also missing the other FE characters who btw actually have cutscenes in their games. Also, all the Pokemon, ha ha...)
I want to find a character that has a similar design of an anime character. That's all. XD

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
You forgot the ladies. :4palutena::4sheik::4zss::4zelda::4robinf: as well as Ike. :4myfriends:

What? Just because a character is made in Japan, that doesn't mean they have an anime feel. Also, your statement is incorrect. Diddy Kong was made in Europe.

Kulty

Smash Ace
You forgot the ladies. :4palutena::4sheik::4zss::4zelda::4robinf: as well as Ike. :4myfriends:

What? Just because a character is made in Japan, that doesn't mean they have an anime feel. Also, your statement is incorrect. Diddy Kong was made in Europe.
I'm just mentioning anime-kind-of-characters that I enjoy in terms of playstyle. I know that the characters you've mentionned are very anime-ish, but I don't really enjoy playing them.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'm just mentioning anime-kind-of-characters that I enjoy in terms of playstyle. I know that the characters you've mentionned are very anime-ish, but I don't really enjoy playing them.
You asked for suggestions of anime-like characters and I posted them. That's all.

There's also :4lucina: and :4littlemac: who is basically an angrier Ippo. And :4link:, though :4tlink:is more of a cartoon than an anime character.

Kulty

Smash Ace
You asked for suggestions of anime-like characters and I posted them. That's all.

There's also :4lucina: and :4littlemac: who is basically an angrier Ippo. And :4link:, though :4tlink:is more of a cartoon than an anime character.
Thanks a lot. Characters that are from games that I played or characters that have an anime feel to it make me enjoy them a lot more than some other characters.

Direspect only!

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I main ganon, and lab a lot with pac. Eventually he's going to be my secondary, but right now I need a main. I want to be able to punish longer rolls, (rip ganon) and still play the patient>>> heavy momentum game ganon has. Once he gets going you're screwed. Any advice? I like the spacing game too. I play link off and on.

Seige

Smash Cadet

That wasn't a statement. It was striked out. Lolwut are you even paying attention.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I need some confidence boosting. I main :4megaman:, and he's someone I'm NEVER giving up. I love Mega Man too much and his play style from the Classic series was implemented greatly in Smash 4. However, I feel as if good ol' Rock has been ignored lately and is seen as a laughing-stock by some people. This has been diminishing my mood and confidence with the game greatly, so if anyone can give some advice on how I should handle this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I need some confidence boosting. I main :4megaman:, and he's someone I'm NEVER giving up. I love Mega Man too much and his play style from the Classic series was implemented greatly in Smash 4. However, I feel as if good ol' Rock has been ignored lately and is seen as a laughing-stock by some people. This has been diminishing my mood and confidence with the game greatly, so if anyone can give some advice on how I should handle this, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Okay so first off, good on you for sticking with him. He's great. I love playing him off to the side and trying new things.

Second, usually when it feels like one of my mains (my two tops being Mario and Marthcina, so in this case Marthcina) really aren't gonna ever cut it and have no worth in playing, I go play another main/pocket for a bit. And when I come back to my main it's like a breath of fresh air.

Third, I don't think I've heard anyone really consider Mega Man a laughingstock, so you might be wrong there. Might. But if it means anything to you I don't think he is XD. Also watching StylesX2's Mega Man really motivates me to want to play as Mega Man or try to lab with a main for a bit so yeah check out some of his videos of you want there's always that.

Oh also going off and playing some other games outside of smash can help too. Idk. Hopefully this helps somewhat.

Seige

Smash Cadet
Honestly if you're getting depressed on people making fun of him. Just beat their ass and show them your moves.
If you can't do that, then use that as your incentive to get better and one up them.

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
Ok guys i'm at my wits end for what to do when it comes to choosing and staying with a main. Here are my problems:
1.not really having fun with any characters at the moment mainly because i just constantly lose to players who have managed to find a character that suits them.
2. i don't know what my playstyle is or how to figure out what style of play i lean towards.
3.I'm not doing well with any characters even though i have put time into EVERYONE in the roster.

I really don't want to quit the game because i don't want my money to be a waste any i do enjoy the game but I can't do well when i can't even find success with any character or find a character that feels natural.

ParanoidZoid

Smash Rookie
Heyo! So even after a year of having sm4sh, I have no idea who to main. I've gone through Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ness, and Toon Link as my main guys, and I've dabbled in a lot of other characters. However, I have whittled down what I want in a character, so I'm hoping you guys can help a bit.

WHAT I DO WANT
  • Someone that can zone and be aggressive
  • Someone who can apply pressure well, use stage control
  • Someone who can legdeguard very easily
  • Someone with pretty good air game
  • Someone who is hilariously fun to play
WHAT I DON'T WANT
  • Really, someone that's slow/falls fast/is big. Sorry, Bowser and Dedede. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you can find some, link to a good guide, place, or VoD of the suggestion. Also, I can say what I like about each character I've mained in this game and the previous ones if that helps. Thanks! :D

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Heyo! So even after a year of having sm4sh, I have no idea who to main. I've gone through Mega Man, Pac-Man, Ness, and Toon Link as my main guys, and I've dabbled in a lot of other characters. However, I have whittled down what I want in a character, so I'm hoping you guys can help a bit.

WHAT I DO WANT
  • Someone that can zone and be aggressive
  • Someone who can apply pressure well, use stage control
  • Someone who can legdeguard very easily
  • Someone with pretty good air game
  • Someone who is hilariously fun to play
WHAT I DON'T WANT
  • Really, someone that's slow/falls fast/is big. Sorry, Bowser and Dedede. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
If you can find some, link to a good guide, place, or VoD of the suggestion. Also, I can say what I like about each character I've mained in this game and the previous ones if that helps. Thanks! :D
Not sure if you consider Falco as slow. But yeah, I think the character you want is Falco or Fox.

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Ok guys i'm at my wits end for what to do when it comes to choosing and staying with a main. Here are my problems:
1.not really having fun with any characters at the moment mainly because i just constantly lose to players who have managed to find a character that suits them.
2. i don't know what my playstyle is or how to figure out what style of play i lean towards.
3.I'm not doing well with any characters even though i have put time into EVERYONE in the roster.

I really don't want to quit the game because i don't want my money to be a waste any i do enjoy the game but I can't do well when i can't even find success with any character or find a character that feels natural.
I've been going through that also. I can't stick with one character for more than a month, I feel like I would be dominating right now if only I could find a character that fits me.

Last edited:

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of a character that is small, light, and hard to hit. Thats why I play JIggs. But I want a character that's like her but with a more speed and ground game. I've been leaning towards Greninja and Meta Knight. Are those two good for a puff player?

Last edited:

Seige

Smash Cadet
I've been going through that also. I can't stick with one character for more than a month, I feel like I would be dominating right now if only I could find a character that fits me.
Didn't he say no fast fall?

I like the idea of a character that is small, light, and hard to hit. Thats why I play JIggs. But I want a character that's like her but with a more speed and ground game. I've been leaning towards Greninja and Meta Knight. Are those two good for a puff player?
Err I mean their not as spacing heavy as a puff although not much is I would say Meta Knight can suit you well and maybe Marth too but yeah Meta Knight would work.

Last edited:

Violenceman

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ash316
Hey, I main ganon, and lab a lot with pac. Eventually he's going to be my secondary, but right now I need a main. I want to be able to punish longer rolls, (rip ganon) and still play the patient>>> heavy momentum game ganon has. Once he gets going you're screwed. Any advice? I like the spacing game too. I play link off and on.
Have you tried Zelda? If you are not afraid of the ridiculously steep learning curve, I think you might enjoy playing as her. Nayru's Love has the range and duration to be a great roll deterrent (I don't think there is a single character with a roll long enough to escape its reach). Her out of shield options allow her to easily play defense, so being patient and waiting for an opportunity to turn the tables is definitely in her wheelhouse. And since you have been playing Ganon and Link, her lack of speed shouldn't be an issue.

BottlesChan

Smash Rookie
I'm struggling the find a character that suits me in this game. I don't like heavy or slow characters and I tend to do short hop fairs as my approach option. I don't like combo-heavy characters or super campy ones. I'm not sure who really fits what I am looking for, but I'd rather play a character that I feel natural on than one that I just "like."

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I'm struggling the find a character that suits me in this game. I don't like heavy or slow characters and I tend to do short hop fairs as my approach option. I don't like combo-heavy characters or super campy ones. I'm not sure who really fits what I am looking for, but I'd rather play a character that I feel natural on than one that I just "like."
Roy's fair is pretty good for approaching because you can jump out of its lag before you hit the ground, and he has combos but they're not extreme or vital.

Diddy Kong sounds about right too, he can approach pretty effectively with fair.

Ness's fair is very good for approaching as well, and while he's not the fastest on the ground he has good air mobility in my opinion.

You do realize that you can't just expect to only approach with fair tho. People will be able to ready ou very easily if you always decide to use fair.

BottlesChan

Smash Rookie
Roy's fair is pretty good for approaching because you can jump out of its lag before you hit the ground, and he has combos but they're not extreme or vital.

Diddy Kong sounds about right too, he can approach pretty effectively with fair.

Ness's fair is very good for approaching as well, and while he's not the fastest on the ground he has good air mobility in my opinion.

You do realize that you can't just expect to only approach with fair tho. People will be able to ready ou very easily if you always decide to use fair.
I know, but it's most comfortable for me. I just can't get into the groove with anyone I've tried yet and I think it'll be easier to start with a character that fits my play and adapt to the character afterwards.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I know, but it's most comfortable for me. I just can't get into the groove with anyone I've tried yet and I think it'll be easier to start with a character that fits my play and adapt to the character afterwards.
Okay. The ones I said should be pretty decent picks then. Hopefully. Good luck

Top Bottom