• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The 'Mains' Advice Thread

Kulty

Smash Ace
I think that they are pretty well balanced in covering their weaknesses. Mario lacks range/disjoint while Roy has that. Mario's neutral I personally think is pretty good compared to Roy's, or at least approach wise. Cause Roy's approach is much more linear and Mario's isn't so much.

Despite this there's nothing wrong with picking up another character if you want to and think you can handle it
I see XD! Then since I'm in a semi-competitive environment for now, I just want to play as many characters as I want since I enjoyed so many characters. Then if that's the case, who would you recommend the most (only one character) between the fighters that I've listed?

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
I see XD! Then since I'm in a semi-competitive environment for now, I just want to play as many characters as I want since I enjoyed so many characters. Then if that's the case, who would you recommend the most (only one character) between the fighters that I've listed?
I'd say Wario, just because he's always seemed fun to me and has a great clutch factor on his side. You don't have to play him of course, but of characters I enjoy watching I like him better than the others you've listed. I'm into the much more competitive side of things and I main 5 characters. I can play them all solidly, so I don't think you should have too big of a problem if you like playing a lot of characters. Good luck

Kulty

Smash Ace
I'd say Wario, just because he's always seemed fun to me and has a great clutch factor on his side. You don't have to play him of course, but of characters I enjoy watching I like him better than the others you've listed. I'm into the much more competitive side of things and I main 5 characters. I can play them all solidly, so I don't think you should have too big of a problem if you like playing a lot of characters. Good luck
Thanks! I don't plan to rely on Wario as much as Mario and Roy, but yeah! I really love Wario as well. Really fun and rewarding character to play. He just takes a tons of practice to get him perfectly (or almost perfectly)

Daniel8697

Smash Rookie
NNID
daniel8697
3DS FC
3308-5042-5467
This is true but he's questionably viable. He's well rounded but he doesn't exactly excel at anything. As far as sword characters, :4metaknight: has really been turning heads as of late and the character has gone from the worst swordsman in the the game to arguably the best thanks to all the patches. He's also the hardest swordsman to learn after :4shulk: though so you might not want to take the plunge if you don't want to deal with a high learning curve. :4myfriends::4link::4lucina::4marth::4feroy::4tlink: are all in the same boat: unquestionably mid-tier but with minuscule things that are holding them back competitively. Of these, :4marth: has the most promise (especially with customs) while a few tweaks to :4myfriends:and :4link: could make them genuinely threatening.
I've actually started exploring :4myfriends: and though I need some practice pulling off his combos I enjoy his playstyle

darktrickster101

Smash Cadet
hey guys so i have a problem. I can't commit to a main. I can't find a character that I am good with or feel comfortable with. however it is getting to a point where not having a main is hurting my gameplay to a point where I am frequently getting destroyed in matches. I'm at my wits end. What do I do? Some advice or maybe a formula to use to source out a main would be great.

P.S please don't just tell me to pick a character that i like. I need a more solid answer than that.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
hey guys so i have a problem. I can't commit to a main. I can't find a character that I am good with or feel comfortable with. however it is getting to a point where not having a main is hurting my gameplay to a point where I am frequently getting destroyed in matches. I'm at my wits end. What do I do? Some advice or maybe a formula to use to source out a main would be great.

P.S please don't just tell me to pick a character that i like. I need a more solid answer than that.
I think what you should look for is a character that reflects you as a person. In playstyle, in what you like outside of smash, and kinda even personality. For example, one of my MAIN mains is Lucina. I play her because she is a sword fighter, I main marth in all other games, she has a mask, and The Blue Spirit is literally the name of my profile. So I find her to be perfect for me as a person. Not to mention her default color scheme is godlike to me. Honestly, having these things alongside enjoying you character is good, because your not only comfortable with the play style, but who the character is. Choose a character who you can see as an extension of yourself.

I hope this helps. Hopefully. Good luck with finding a main.

4AV

Smash Rookie
NNID
CK2017
I have been trying to reinvent my mains because i wasn't having much success with most of them. I dropped all of my mains except for Yoshi. I was wondering for advice to pick up other characters. I would prefer to keep my mains 3 or under.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

The simplest yet most dedicated method is to play a decent amount as every character in the roster, in order, start to finish. Play a couple of serious matches with friends to get a feel for the character, move onto the next character, continue until you've devoted some time to everybody.

It'd also help if we knew what kind of playstyle you like in a character. What characters do you play in the other Smash games, is there anything to the character that just "clicks" with you?

I have been trying to reinvent my mains because i wasn't having much success with most of them. I dropped all of my mains except for Yoshi. I was wondering for advice to pick up other characters. I would prefer to keep my mains 3 or under.
Well, what kind of character do you like to play? Do you play competitively or for fun?

4AV

Smash Rookie
NNID
CK2017
I am trying to reinvent my mains right now i only have yoshi and am looking for feedback on other characters to pick up

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I am trying to reinvent my mains right now i only have yoshi and am looking for feedback on other characters to pick up
Well, I'm gonna go ahead and presume that you want a character that can cover Yoshi's weaknesses.

How about a projectile-based character, such as :4robinf: or :4rob:?

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I main Mega Man & 2nd Greninja, and I am trying to find just one more character to add to my competitive team for tournaments, and my choices are between Pac-Man, Pit, Rosalina. I am mostly seeking a character for more fun, but if they can handle Fox, Wario, and/or Sheik they may take more priority. I would like some thoughts and advice that could make my decision a bit easier.
  • :4pacman: is the one I enjoy playing the most in terms of fun and as a gaming character in general he is also my favorite of the 3. I'm not particularly amazing with Pac, but I've been playing him the second longest time and I consider myself a decent but not great Pac-Man. But as much as I like the guy, he is so technical and and takes so much time to commitment to learn, and my 2 main characters are already technical enough as is. As much as I'd love to keep playing him it might not be a good idea when its so hard to learn him well, and while he's a very good character and okay against Wario he has just as many problems with Sheik and Fox as Mega Man and Greninja do.
  • :4pit: is another character I like playing and I've been using him the most often recently. As the game's all-arounder, I find him a bit easy to use compared to the other 2 and he doesn't seem to be too frustrating to work with, and in general he seems to be good at many things and do almost everything well, frame data being one of the key things (Mega Man & Greninja both have terrible frame data). What makes my choice hard though, is that I don't know much about his matchup spread and if he'd be okay against at least Fox & Wario. I've heard most say he's at least High Tier with generally few truly good and few truly bad matchups, but that's not providing me enough of the info I want. Another thing that disappoints me is that since he's an all-around character, he is decent at many things but excels at nothing in particular and doesn't really do anything amazing to me besides the arrows, and he shares Mega Man's weakness of having lackluster kill moves. I still enjoy playing him overall and I currently lean towards him the most, but when he's so basic and lacks many jank/unique features, winning with him doesn't always give me the same satisfaction Mega Man & Greninja do.
  • :rosalina:is the character I'm newest to, I've only been playing her for about 2 months now and as it is now I doubt I'm that great with her. But we all know she's top tier and arguably the 2nd best in the game, and the only one of the top tier characters that I actually enjoy playing other than Sonic, Ness, and ZSS. I love :4sonic: (actually now that I bring him up, Sonic is another candidate for my 3rd character since I have the most experience with him)and he used to be my 2ndary and quite helpful in my tournaments for season 1-2 in my region, but I don't enjoy playing him as much before and while he's good against Wario, he still loses to Fox and Sheik. I could see myself enjoying Ness and Zero Suit Samus, but I am pretty inexperienced playing either of them and its probably too late in the game for me to pick either of them up (the latter being a technical character too, or at least so I was told) and I should just focus on the ones I already have experience with. Rosalina is fun for me in her own right and I don't even mind how many people are using her, and since she's top tier I'm positive she'd be a good answer to all 3 of those bad MUs I mentioned earlier. But since she's the one I've been playing for the shortest time, I'm not that great with her and I've found her learning curve to be a bit higher than it looks, Not as much as Pac-Man's, but I'm having a bit of difficulty controlling her when it comes to edgeguarding, the neutral, and I am terrible at protecting Luma and I find myself losing him far too often. My region is not using customs much anymore, but I enjoy her even more with customs though when I can use them. I'll miss you Guardian Luma... :crying:

BlazeFlipnotes

Smash Cadet
NNID
a
I main greninja and shulk, I have trouble against ness, pikachu and sonic.the rest of the cast I feel I do fine against (yes even the gren v sheik mu). I may have a tiny bit of trouble against the mario brothers but that's only because they are flat out annoying to face.
nairo recommended fox but tbh im not sure on that

Number Three

Smash Cadet
I main greninja and shulk, I have trouble against ness, pikachu and sonic.the rest of the cast I feel I do fine against (yes even the gren v sheik mu). I may have a tiny bit of trouble against the mario brothers but that's only because they are flat out annoying to face.
nairo recommended fox but tbh im not sure on that
Shulk works wonders against the Mario Bros. NAir alone both eliminates their fireballs and gives them no really safe way of getting in there and starting a combo. Mario can FLUUD you or attempt to cape you and force you to react to that but, as long as you're aware of the possiblilty, reacting isn't hard. Luigi has no way to safely get in without his fireball since his mobility is so bad. He can try a grounded tornado but, as long as you anticipate and shield it, the ending lag is a free punish. As long as you're spacing correctly, Shulk can easily keep them out due to how long the Monado's range is. Shulk also obliterates both of them offstage with his potent edgeguarding tools and due to their linear and predictable recoveries. Shulk is an amazing counterpick to use against both of them. If you want more information on how Shulk should go about playing that MU, I'd suggest looking at Shulk's matchup thread in the Shulk forums.

As a Ness player myself, I personally hate going up against anyone who can edgeguard well. Rosalina is a pretty easy win over Ness in my book. I've played the MU from both sides. Sheik also does well. Or, if you're like me and would want to try out someone a bit more unorthodox, how about Peach or Pit/Dark Pit?

BlazeFlipnotes

Smash Cadet
NNID
a
Shulk works wonders against the Mario Bros. NAir alone both eliminates their fireballs and gives them no really safe way of getting in there and starting a combo. Mario can FLUUD you or attempt to cape you and force you to react to that but, as long as you're aware of the possiblilty, reacting isn't hard. Luigi has no way to safely get in without his fireball since his mobility is so bad. He can try a grounded tornado but, as long as you anticipate and shield it, the ending lag is a free punish. As long as you're spacing correctly, Shulk can easily keep them out due to how long the Monado's range is. Shulk also obliterates both of them offstage with his potent edgeguarding tools and due to their linear and predictable recoveries. Shulk is an amazing counterpick to use against both of them. If you want more information on how Shulk should go about playing that MU, I'd suggest looking at Shulk's matchup thread in the Shulk forums.

As a Ness player myself, I personally hate going up against anyone who can edgeguard well. Rosalina is a pretty easy win over Ness in my book. I've played the MU from both sides. Sheik also does well. Or, if you're like me and would want to try out someone a bit more unorthodox, how about Peach or Pit/Dark Pit?
I mean I only find the brothers annoying, they aren't exactly hard to deal with, and how would peach favor against sonic and pikachu bc I like playing as her, she is fun imo

Last edited:

Number Three

Smash Cadet
I mean I only find the brothers annoying, they aren't exactly hard to deal with, and how would peach favor against sonic and pikachu bc I like playing as her, she is fun imo
Turnips stop Sonic's spin dash, removing that as his approach option. The real issue with Sonic is that Up Throw > Up B > Up Air will kill Peach extremely early since she's so light. Pika doesn't have great KO power at all, Peach is hard to gimp/edgeguard, she gets out of combos easier because she's floaty and light, and Peach can KO him very early, just her KO options are fairly limited.

BlazeFlipnotes

Smash Cadet
NNID
a
Turnips stop Sonic's spin dash, removing that as his approach option. The real issue with Sonic is that Up Throw > Up B > Up Air will kill Peach extremely early since she's so light. Pika doesn't have great KO power at all, Peach is hard to gimp/edgeguard, she gets out of combos easier because she's floaty and light, and Peach can KO him very early, just her KO options are fairly limited.
hm, I'll take her into consideration but are there any better picks bc i do know peach is one of the hardest to learn in the game. I also don't want to be using sheik bc she will more than likely be nerfed and that stuff

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi everyone,

Is there any other character suggestions that can help cover :4mario:and:4feroy:weaknesses? I'm searching for a competitive secondary (I want to play 3 characters max at a tournament level, 2 mains and one secondary). Someone suggested me :4wario2:. I want to know other characters that may help Mario and Roy. I'll give a list of characters that I enjoy playing at a high skill level : :4falcon::4darkpit::4drmario::4fox::4megaman::4metaknight::4pit::4ryu::4shulk::4sonic:and:4villager:(maybe:4myfriends::4luigi::4marth:and:4wiifit:). If you give me :4sheik::rosalina:or:4zss:, it's TOTALLY OUT OF QUESTION! You can try to suggest me other characters, but it really depends if I like the character suggested or not.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Hi everyone,

Is there any other character suggestions that can help cover :4mario:and:4feroy:weaknesses? I'm searching for a competitive secondary (I want to play 3 characters max at a tournament level, 2 mains and one secondary). Someone suggested me :4wario2:. I want to know other characters that may help Mario and Roy. I'll give a list of characters that I enjoy playing at a high skill level : :4falcon::4darkpit::4drmario::4fox::4megaman::4metaknight::4pit::4ryu::4shulk::4sonic:and:4villager:(maybe:4myfriends::4luigi::4marth:and:4wiifit:). If you give me :4sheik::rosalina:or:4zss:, it's TOTALLY OUT OF QUESTION! You can try to suggest me other characters, but it really depends if I like the character suggested or not.
Well, if your two characters are rushdown combo characters, I'd suggest somebody that can deal with zoners and characters that can keep them out. I'd say just for a character that compliments their playstyle with their own zoning capabilities. Mega Man is a good choice in that respect, but he requires a bit of dedication because he's quite technical. Villager may be your best bet in that respect, if you don't mind that you will have to switch between very different playstyles on the fly.

I main Mega Man & 2nd Greninja, and I am trying to find just one more character to add to my competitive team for tournaments, and my choices are between Pac-Man, Pit, Rosalina. I am mostly seeking a character for more fun, but if they can handle Fox, Wario, and/or Sheik they may take more priority. I would like some thoughts and advice that could make my decision a bit easier.
  • :4pacman: is the one I enjoy playing the most in terms of fun and as a gaming character in general he is also my favorite of the 3. I'm not particularly amazing with Pac, but I've been playing him the second longest time and I consider myself a decent but not great Pac-Man. But as much as I like the guy, he is so technical and and takes so much time to commitment to learn, and my 2 main characters are already technical enough as is. As much as I'd love to keep playing him it might not be a good idea when its so hard to learn him well, and while he's a very good character and okay against Wario he has just as many problems with Sheik and Fox as Mega Man and Greninja do.
  • :4pit: is another character I like playing and I've been using him the most often recently. As the game's all-arounder, I find him a bit easy to use compared to the other 2 and he doesn't seem to be too frustrating to work with, and in general he seems to be good at many things and do almost everything well, frame data being one of the key things (Mega Man & Greninja both have terrible frame data). What makes my choice hard though, is that I don't know much about his matchup spread and if he'd be okay against at least Fox & Wario. I've heard most say he's at least High Tier with generally few truly good and few truly bad matchups, but that's not providing me enough of the info I want. Another thing that disappoints me is that since he's an all-around character, he is decent at many things but excels at nothing in particular and doesn't really do anything amazing to me besides the arrows, and he shares Mega Man's weakness of having lackluster kill moves. I still enjoy playing him overall and I currently lean towards him the most, but when he's so basic and lacks many jank/unique features, winning with him doesn't always give me the same satisfaction Mega Man & Greninja do.
  • :rosalina:is the character I'm newest to, I've only been playing her for about 2 months now and as it is now I doubt I'm that great with her. But we all know she's top tier and arguably the 2nd best in the game, and the only one of the top tier characters that I actually enjoy playing other than Sonic, Ness, and ZSS. I love :4sonic: (actually now that I bring him up, Sonic is another candidate for my 3rd character since I have the most experience with him)and he used to be my 2ndary and quite helpful in my tournaments for season 1-2 in my region, but I don't enjoy playing him as much before and while he's good against Wario, he still loses to Fox and Sheik. I could see myself enjoying Ness and Zero Suit Samus, but I am pretty inexperienced playing either of them and its probably too late in the game for me to pick either of them up (the latter being a technical character too, or at least so I was told) and I should just focus on the ones I already have experience with. Rosalina is fun for me in her own right and I don't even mind how many people are using her, and since she's top tier I'm positive she'd be a good answer to all 3 of those bad MUs I mentioned earlier. But since she's the one I've been playing for the shortest time, I'm not that great with her and I've found her learning curve to be a bit higher than it looks, Not as much as Pac-Man's, but I'm having a bit of difficulty controlling her when it comes to edgeguarding, the neutral, and I am terrible at protecting Luma and I find myself losing him far too often. My region is not using customs much anymore, but I enjoy her even more with customs though when I can use them. I'll miss you Guardian Luma... :crying:
Pac-Man requires a ton of commitment, just gonna say that right off the bat. You'd want to solo-main him if you want to be really and truly viable with him, because everything else is just a distraction when you have to focus on that technical depth in a character, especially a secondary.

Rosalina is good, but bear in mind that she is similarly technical and you really need to put the work in to get results. Going for Rosalina because she's top-tier is a pretty bad idea, because you need to understand why she's top-tier and how that benefits you in order to work her. Especially with Mega Man and Greninja under your belt, two fundamentally technical characters, I don't think it's wise to go for more technicality.

I'm gonna be frank, Pit is your best bet. He's relatively easy to get to grips with, he covers most matchups well (he doesn't have any truly incredible matchups or hard counters), he can hold his own against Fox and Wario pretty well and he is a terror both on-stage and off if you're coy with his tricks. Even so, as a secondary, he doesn't do much that your main two don't in themselves: unless you plan to pocket him for truly godawful matchups as a contingency plan, I don't think there's much of an impetus to play a fundamentally middle-of-the-road character over others.

If you're doing it mainly for fun, though, I'd go for Pit. The other two require an in-depth knowledge of the character that doesn't seem necessary or realistic for you right now.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Well, if your two characters are rushdown combo characters, I'd suggest somebody that can deal with zoners and characters that can keep them out. I'd say just for a character that compliments their playstyle with their own zoning capabilities. Mega Man is a good choice in that respect, but he requires a bit of dedication because he's quite technical. Villager may be your best bet in that respect, if you don't mind that you will have to switch between very different playstyles on the fly.
Well, the characters that I know can deal with projectile users are :4darkpit::4fox::4pit:and:4sonic:(because he's too fast). Do you know any other character that can deal against projectile users? As for :4villager:and:4megaman:, they're the only two zoning characters that I truly enjoy in the entire game, because generally, I don't like projectile-based characters, but Villager and Mega Man are the only exceptions.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Fox is decent against projectile users, since his Reflector can be used to embellish his great combo game.

Have you tried him?

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a character who excels at either poke or mixups, with adequate capabilities at the other. I've tried maining both Wii Fit Trainer and Lucina before, and while I adore both of them, they also feel uh...underwhelming. And it's a feeling I get a lot more often than I'd prefer.

Preferably female, by the way (or perceived as female, like Jigglypuff). I have a weird male-association problem or something, where I just view them as myself and playing them makes me feel selfish...or something. I don't know. I really like playing DK and Marth, for instance, but there's something in me that doesn't like to treat them as my main.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Fox is decent against projectile users, since his Reflector can be used to embellish his great combo game.

Have you tried him?
Yes. I tried him. So fun to play. Also, other characters than :4darkpit::4fox::4pit::4sonic: that maybe can deal with projectile users are imo, :4diddy::4drmario::4falco::4lucas::4ness::rosalina::4sheik::4zss:. However, I don't plan to pick these characters any time soon, since I don't like them in general except for Dr. Mario, or they don't help fix my issues with :4mario:and:4feroy:. Maybe I should add :4pikachu:to the two Pits, Fox and Sonic. Is there any other character? Otherwise, only zoners that I enjoy are :4megaman:and:4villager:. That's it!

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think you should just stick to what you have now. You don't want to overburden yourself, after all.

Kulty

Smash Ace
I think you should just stick to what you have now. You don't want to overburden yourself, after all.
Okay! Yeah. I returned to this thread so many times, because even though I now have determined mains (I mained :4mario:since day 1 of Smash 3DS release and :4feroy:since he got released as DLC), but I can't stick to one competitive secondary. I've been always testing almost every character since I enjoy so many of them. So I'll try :4villager:for now since I'm slightly more comfortable with him compared to :4megaman:, but I prefer slightly more Mega Man than Villager when it comes to personal preference. So Villager first.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Hi everyone!

I'm looking for a character who excels at either poke or mixups, with adequate capabilities at the other. I've tried maining both Wii Fit Trainer and Lucina before, and while I adore both of them, they also feel uh...underwhelming. And it's a feeling I get a lot more often than I'd prefer.

Preferably female, by the way (or perceived as female, like Jigglypuff). I have a weird male-association problem or something, where I just view them as myself and playing them makes me feel selfish...or something. I don't know. I really like playing DK and Marth, for instance, but there's something in me that doesn't like to treat them as my main.

Thank you.
:4peach:'s playstyle revolves around pressure and mixups, but keep in mind she's a hard character to pick up since there's alot you have to know. Besides that, she kinda struggles vs. campy characters.

:4zss: Has a decent poke game once you figure it out and setups to boot, but yeah.

That said, you could also stick with :4marth: as he and :4lucina: have more or less the same playstyle, just :4marth: is more rewarding fundamentally.

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
Hi everyone. I've been playing this game for eight months and I still can't decide a main. I like the character I play at first and then get bored after a while. I looked at characters I mained in other games. Melee Marth is my favorite character to play as in all smash games, but as a rule, I don't play the same character twice across two games. What is a a character with a play style similar to Melee marth. I tend to be pretty aggressive with Marth in Melee by the way. I don't particularly care about where they are on the tier list, just as long as I can find a character that plays similarly to him.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Hi everyone. I've been playing this game for eight months and I still can't decide a main. I like the character I play at first and then get bored after a while. I looked at characters I mained in other games. Melee Marth is my favorite character to play as in all smash games, but as a rule, I don't play the same character twice across two games. What is a a character with a play style similar to Melee marth. I tend to be pretty aggressive with Marth in Melee by the way.
:4pit:/:4darkpit:, :4zss:, or :4sheik:.
:4pit: Has abit of everything, but he's abit more defensive, so :4darkpit: maybe your preferred choice.
:4zss: Thrives on aggression, has similar mobility specs to Melee Marth, a combo game, and some of her moves work similarly in the sweetspotting department. However, she kinda struggles vs. shields.
:4sheik: FAir. Enough said.

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
:4pit:/:4darkpit:, :4zss:, or :4sheik:.
:4pit: Has abit of everything, but he's abit more defensive, so :4darkpit: maybe your preferred choice.
:4zss: Thrives on aggression, has similar mobility specs to Melee Marth, a combo game, and some of her moves work similarly in the sweetspotting department. However, she kinda struggles vs. shields.
:4sheik: FAir. Enough said.
Thank you. I will try to explore all of these characters. You helped me a lot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hi everyone. I 've been playing this game for eight months and I still can't decide a main. I like the character I play at first and then get bored after a while. I looked at characters I mained in other games. Melee Marth is my favorite character to play as in all smash games, but as a rule, I don't play the same character twice across two games. What is a a character with a play style similar to Melee marth. I tend to be pretty aggressive with Marth in Melee by the way. I don't particularly care about where they are on the tier list, just as long as I can find a character that plays similarly to him.
The closest thing to Marth is of course, going to be Marth. :4marth: He's got some nice buffs since last patch, and doesn't quite play like Melee due to physics, but since you don't wanna main him... Lucina maybe? :4lucina:

What you seem to like is long ranged spacing, since Melee Marth is all about that. Characters that come close to such playstyle in my opinion are :4myfriends: and :4shulk:, but :4greninja: might also be your cup of tea since he plays the 'wait and bait' game similary to Marth.

:4myfriends: is very straight forward and is all about applying his max range to outrange his opponents. He can also kill real early, like Marth can with his tipper. So that's a thing that's easily carried over. All you gotta do is adapt to a slower and steadier playstyle. He's got a great F Air though, that's quite :marthmelee: like.

:4shulk: is really adaptive compared to Ike. Don't know too much about him though. Same with :4greninja:.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
The closest thing to Marth is of course, going to be Marth. :4marth: He's got some nice buffs since last patch, and doesn't quite play like Melee due to physics, but since you don't wanna main him... Lucina maybe? :4lucina:

What you seem to like is long ranged spacing, since Melee Marth is all about that. Characters that come close to such playstyle in my opinion are :4myfriends: and :4shulk:, but :4greninja: might also be your cup of tea since he plays the 'wait and bait' game similary to Marth.

:4myfriends: is very straight forward and is all about applying his max range to outrange his opponents. He can also kill real early, like Marth can with his tipper. So that's a thing that's easily carried over. All you gotta do is adapt to a slower and steadier playstyle. He's got a great F Air though, that's quite :marthmelee: like.

:4shulk: is really adaptive compared to Ike. Don't know too much about him though. Same with :4greninja:.
Ah. :4myfriends:. I forgot about him. The main reason I didn't add him is because compared to :marthmelee:, his movement takes getting used to. :4shulk: I'd be iffy on. Monado Arts gives him versatility, but his poor frame data might hold him back. Dunno enough about :4greninja:, personally, XD.

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
Thank you both. I'm now only floating between Ike, Pitties, and and ZSS. The other characters I don't like for various reasons. You guys have shortened my search immensly. Once again, thank you.

Kulty

Smash Ace
Hi again,

Can someone recommend me a list of characters based on this description :
  • Good frontal approach
  • Great disjointed range or long range moves (zoning or spacing)
  • Great recovery (not predictable or poor-distance type of recovery)
  • Great KO setups
You may notice that I'm listing characteristics of Mario's main weaknesses. So I want characters that can be great based on these attributes. A list of characters that I enjoy playing at a high skill level are:4fox::4falcon::4marth::4metaknight::4pit::4villager::4shulk::4megaman::4drmario::4darkpit::4feroy::4ryu:(maybe:4pikachu::4luigi::4myfriends::4pacman::4wario2:). It would be great if you can only recommend characters based on this character list. You can still try to suggest other characters not mentioned, but I WON'T ACCEPT :4sheik:or :rosalina:.

Last edited:

Seige

Smash Cadet
Hi again,

Can someone recommend me a list of characters based on this description :
  • Good frontal approach
  • Great disjointed range or long range moves (zoning or spacing)
  • Great recovery (not predictable or poor-distance type of recovery)
  • Great KO setups
You may notice that I'm listing characteristics of Mario's main weaknesses. So I want characters that can be great based on these attributes. A list of characters that I enjoy playing at a high skill level are:4fox::4falcon::4marth::4metaknight::4pit::4villager::4shulk::4megaman::4drmario::4darkpit::4feroy::4ryu:(maybe:4pikachu::4luigi::4myfriends::4pacman::4wario2:). It would be great if you can only recommend characters based on this character list. You can still try to suggest other characters not mentioned, but I WON'T ACCEPT :4sheik:or :rosalina:.
Play :4sheik::rosalina: now :)
:4shulk::4feroy::4metaknight::4darkpit::4marth::4fox::4villager::4pikachu::4luigi: are the ones I recommend. Now going over your four points on each... I'm going to be completely honest though, I might get something wrong.

:4shulk: has some nice range with that sword, a decent approach, recovery is somewhat predictable and varies depending on monado art. Air slash is a nice recovery by itself though. KOing may be a bit hard though compared to some of the others here.
:4feroy: has nice disjointed hitboxes with that sword, goes aggro like nuts to get that er... hilt. His recovery is really predictable though and is only somewhat decent, however his KO potential is very high.
:4metaknight: has gotten better with the buffs so I can actually start recommending him. Woo. Anyways, he has some disjointed hitboxes with that sword, an ok approach albeit not the best, gotta space a bit first. Recovery is really good and easy to mix up so theres an upside, but his KO potential may be a little hard to get.
:4darkpit: has all around everything as the all around balanced character in this game. Has some zoning potential with arrows(although :4pit: has faster ones, :4darkpit: has arrows that may pressure more on stage(don't quote me on that)). He has a good approach with his bow, terrific recovery, and kills well off stage or near the edge of the stage.
:4marth: has disjointed hitboxes, needs to space well with his tipper, may have to play a bit of a waiting game, and has a predictable recovery with only decent distance. His KOs can either be really high or really low because sometimes it feels impossible to finish someone off or can be really fast. Tippers and Aerials man.
:4fox: Up Smash nuff said Lol anyways, unlike most people here his range/hitbox is almost nil, but he has the ability to make them approach by using his blaster. His approaches aren't that bad either, but his recovery is meh. His KO potential is high vertically, so low ceilings are your best friend if you want :4fox:.
:4villager: is a demon. Spacing and Camping hell with this guy. He makes it so the other guy has to approach as well, but it's not like he can't approach, it's just easier to sit back imo. His recovery is very easy to mix up goes very far. His KOs are a bit harder though, since his best kill options are all kinda slow and kind of needs to be baited into it.
:4pikachu: Only game I like this rat in. Only. Game(All of smash in general btw). Anyways, some little spacing with Thundershock, approaches with Quick Attack, KOing with gimps and smashes. His recovery is pretty far and it's fast with angles so it's harder to predict.
:4luigi:may also fit your bill if you want. :4luigi: can cover his brother's back with those aerials and projectiles and a pretty sweet recovery with three moves mix up. He has really nice spacing too. His KO options may take a while though.

Other things:
:4pit: I'm biased here. I play :4darkpit:.
:4megaman: I will never learn you. So I have nothing to say about him. Don't even know if this guy fits the description.
:4greninja: Nerf Irelia.
:teemo: Nerf Greninja with Shrooms.

In conclusion, :4pikachu:, :4feroy:/:4marth:, :4metaknight:, and :4darkpit:(no :4pit: plz :sadeyes:) are imo your best choices out of the ones I thought may be viable.

Last edited:

Kulty

Smash Ace
Play :4sheik::rosalina: now :)
:4shulk::4feroy::4metaknight::4darkpit::4marth::4fox::4villager::4pikachu::4luigi: are the ones I recommend. Now going over your four points on each... I'm going to be completely honest though, I might get something wrong.

:4shulk: has some nice range with that sword, a decent approach, recovery is somewhat predictable and varies depending on monado art. Air slash is a nice recovery by itself though. KOing may be a bit hard though compared to some of the others here.
:4feroy: has nice disjointed hitboxes with that sword, goes aggro like nuts to get that er... hilt. His recovery is really predictable though and is only somewhat decent, however his KO potential is very high.
:4metaknight: has gotten better with the buffs so I can actually start recommending him. Woo. Anyways, he has some disjointed hitboxes with that sword, an ok approach albeit not the best, gotta space a bit first. Recovery is really good and easy to mix up so theres an upside, but his KO potential may be a little hard to get.
:4darkpit: has all around everything as the all around balanced character in this game. Has some zoning potential with arrows(although :4pit: has faster ones, :4darkpit: has arrows that may pressure more on stage(don't quote me on that)). He has a good approach with his bow, terrific recovery, and kills well off stage or near the edge of the stage.
:4marth: has disjointed hitboxes, needs to space well with his tipper, may have to play a bit of a waiting game, and has a predictable recovery with only decent distance. His KOs can either be really high or really low because sometimes it feels impossible to finish someone off or can be really fast. Tippers and Aerials man.
:4fox: Up Smash nuff said Lol anyways, unlike most people here his range/hitbox is almost nil, but he has the ability to make them approach by using his blaster. His approaches aren't that bad either, but his recovery is meh. His KO potential is high vertically, so low ceilings are your best friend if you want :4fox:.
:4villager: is a demon. Spacing and Camping hell with this guy. He makes it so the other guy has to approach as well, but it's not like he can't approach, it's just easier to sit back imo. His recovery is very easy to mix up goes very far. His KOs are a bit harder though, since his best kill options are all kinda slow and kind of needs to be baited into it.
:4pikachu: Only game I like this rat in. Only. Game(All of smash in general btw). Anyways, some little spacing with Thundershock, approaches with Quick Attack, KOing with gimps and smashes. His recovery is pretty far and it's fast with angles so it's harder to predict.
:4luigi:may also fit your bill if you want. :4luigi: can cover his brother's back with those aerials and projectiles and a pretty sweet recovery with three moves mix up. He has really nice spacing too. His KO options may take a while though.

Other things:
:4pit: I'm biased here. I play :4darkpit:.
:4megaman: I will never learn you. So I have nothing to say about him. Don't even know if this guy fits the description.
:4greninja: Nerf Irelia.
:teemo: Nerf Greninja with Shrooms.

In conclusion, :4pikachu:, :4feroy:/:4marth:, :4metaknight:, and :4darkpit:(no :4pit: plz :sadeyes:) are imo your best choices out of the ones I thought may be viable.
I might think the closest characters to solve :4mario:issues are imo, :4metaknight::4fox::4villager:. I might also add:4zss:as an option. What do you think of ZSS? Is she good at covering the four main points of Mario's main issues? I didn't chose the other characters because :
:4shulk:: predictable recovery (I don't want that)
:4feroy:: poor distance recovery (it doesn't fix Mario's main issue). Sorry my boy!
:4darkpit::4pit:: gimpable recovery due to Up-B having no hitboxes (which I don't want). Sorry if I forgot to mention that.
:4marth:: predictable recovery and not-so-good approach game (sorry Marth)
:4pikachu::4luigi:: both have poor range (which does not solve one of Mario's big issues)
:4falcon::4drmario::4ryu::4pacman::4myfriends:: pretty obvious, so don't have to explain it.

Last edited:

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
I might think the closest characters to solve :4mario:issues are imo, :4metaknight::4fox::4villager:. I might also add:4zss:as an option. What do you think of ZSS? Is she good at covering the four main points of Mario's main issues? I didn't chose the other characters because :
:4shulk:: predictable recovery (I don't want that),
:4feroy:: poor distance recovery (it doesn't fix Mario's main issue). Sorry my boy!
:4darkpit::4pit:: gimpable recovery due to Up-B having no hitboxes (which I don't want). Sorry if I forgot to mention that.
:4marth:: predictable recovery and not-so-good approach game (sorry Marth)
:4pikachu::4luigi:: both have poor range (which does not solve one of Mario's big issues)
:4falcon::4drmario::4ryu::4pacman::4myfriends:: pretty obvious, so don't have to explain it.
MK and ZSS have very reliable kill setups. Fox has a problem when playing from behind a stock. He has to kill throws, or throws that combo reliably into a kill move, so people can just get away with holding their shield on you. He does have a reliable kill setup in jab-jab U-smash though. Villager has a similar problem when playing from behind, and he doesn't really have a reliable kill setup, but when playing from ahead, villager is SOOOOOO good. I would suggest trying out MK and ZSS at the moment, because they have great Zoning and spacing moves, a ton of recovery options, reliable kill setups, and their frontal approaches are both decent.

DaleAM

Smash Rookie
Hello everyone! So I would like to add a reflector to my roster of fighters (I main Ike and I dabble with Mega Man, Lucario and Donkey Kong). Who would you say has the best reflector in the game? I like that fox's can be held down but Zeldas has that great "get off me!" factor.
I'd appreciate any wisdom you'd like to share!

Kulty

Smash Ace
MK and ZSS have very reliable kill setups. Fox has a problem when playing from behind a stock. He has to kill throws, or throws that combo reliably into a kill move, so people can just get away with holding their shield on you. He does have a reliable kill setup in jab-jab U-smash though. Villager has a similar problem when playing from behind, and he doesn't really have a reliable kill setup, but when playing from ahead, villager is SOOOOOO good. I would suggest trying out MK and ZSS at the moment, because they have great Zoning and spacing moves, a ton of recovery options, reliable kill setups, and their frontal approaches are both decent.
High-risk high-reward type of KO setups, I'm okay with that. I'll just try these four characters (:4metaknight::4zss::4fox::4villager:) and see what's the better character for Mario and the one that I enjoy the most. I'll leave:4feroy:as a secondary. But if you would choose between :4metaknight::4zss::4fox::4villager:, who would be the best character for Mario in your opinion?

Seige

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone! So I would like to add a reflector to my roster of fighters (I main Ike and I dabble with Mega Man, Lucario and Donkey Kong). Who would you say has the best reflector in the game? I like that fox's can be held down but Zeldas has that great "get off me!" factor.
I'd appreciate any wisdom you'd like to share!
Er. If either :rosalina: or :4villager: count, those two. Either make their stuff fly away or pocket them. I guess :4villager: fits it better.
High-risk high-reward type of KO setups, I'm okay with that. I'll just try these four characters (:4metaknight::4zss::4fox::4villager:) and see what's the better character for Mario and the one that I enjoy the most. I'll leave:4feroy:as a secondary. But if you would choose between :4metaknight::4zss::4fox::4villager:, who would be the best character for Mario in your opinion?
:4zss: or :4metaknight:, I'm not big enough on :4villager: to say anything more on him and as for :4fox:, playing from behind is so terrible.

:4zss: the better KOs and has a projectile
:4metaknight: the disjointed hitbox and better recovery

Kulty

Smash Ace
Er. If either :rosalina: or :4villager: count, those two. Either make their stuff fly away or pocket them. I guess :4villager: fits it better.

:4zss: or :4metaknight:, I'm not big enough on :4villager: to say anything more on him and as for :4fox:, playing from behind is so terrible.

:4zss: the better KOs and has a projectile
:4metaknight: the disjointed hitbox and better recovery
I recently tried ZSS, and I really find her to be boring. So I'll chose between :4villager::4metaknight::4fox:. For Meta Knight, I feel like even if he has a sword, his range is not as good as I thought. What are the pros and cons of the three possible combinations :
  • 1st option ::4mario::4metaknight:
  • 2nd option : :4mario::4fox:
  • 3rd option : :4mario::4villager:

Last edited:
Top Bottom