• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Now that the files have been confirmed by multiple sources; congratulations to all those who supported him! I wonder what they'll do to him...

If they keep his Melee Flare Blade and down-tilt I'll be pretty happy. I'm also hoping for some different, fire-based animations, similar to what Project M did to his neutral-aerial and back-aerial.

Now I just need to play The Binding Blade.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
It looks like Our Boy is almost home! :bee: I'm really glad we're getting our last Melee Musketeer back!
I'm pretty excited for Roy, I really hope they keep his Melee voice, Mewtwo's voice seems to have drastically changed now. :I
Fukuyama would definitely be making a return to voice Roy. I have no doubts about it in my mind.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
What about Young Link and Pichu though? lol.

For Young Link, I think he can potentially be a newcomer in Smash 5 that combines his Melee moveset along with MM masks he can use but for Pichu, i'm not sure if the little rascal can get back in the series again.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
What about Young Link and Pichu though? lol.

For Young Link, I think he can potentially be a newcomer in Smash 5 that combines his Melee moveset along with MM masks he can use
I would love if that happened. I honestly don't know why people are so against YL when he has so much potential, like this.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Just want to note this.

If the source that said that the guy was right on the sound files is reliablity is 90%

Im hopping aboard the roy train.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I would love if that happened. I honestly don't know why people are so against YL when he has so much potential, like this.
For the same reason their against characters like Roy, Wolf, and Lucas. They perceive them as being exactly like they were in previous games so they automatically are against them being in the game. Either that or they think TLink replaced him (which to some degree might be true).

YLink can have his Melee moveset and use his taunt buttons to transform in to his MM masks. With a moveset like that, he would be more unique than TLink is.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Most people don't think he will changed up in any significant way. Looking at Mewtwo and Dr. Mario, their fears are quite justified.

:231:

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
People are against Young Link being a 3rd Link Clone(technically the second Link clone). I believe most people would be for a unique Young Link instead his Melee incarnation ported over, especially when Toon Link already plays similar to Young Link.

YLink can have his Melee moveset and use his taunt buttons to transform in to his MM masks. With a moveset like that, he would be more unique than TLink is.
Are you saying that YLink would change into a Mask from similar to Zelda/Shiek and Pokemon Trainer?

Edit: @ FalKoopa FalKoopa If you merged by posts, thank you.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Sorta. He would use his side taunt to pull out a mask and use his down taunt to put it on. His up taunt would still be drinking milk though.

Wouldn't work in Smash 4 though with all the transformation characters being separated.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Sorta. He would use his side taunt to pull out a mask and use his down taunt to put it on. His up taunt would still be drinking milk though.

Wouldn't work in Smash 4 though with all the transformation characters being separated.
The best bet for Young Link would be to wield a two handed sword, like his Hyrule Warriors counterpart.

Roy is more likely to be an exact copy of his Melee self, seeing how Mewtwo was worked. Which would be a downer to those who want Roy to have a more diverse moveset and his Awakening costume.

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
Mewtwo and Lucas returning the same does ruin the thought of a Semi-clone Roy a bit although those two weren't exactly in dire need of moveset changes in the first place. I still think Lucina being playable will force some changes to Roy's moveset.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo and Lucas returning the same does ruin the thought of a Semi-clone Roy a bit although those two weren't exactly in dire need of moveset changes in the first place. I still think Lucina being playable will force some changes to Roy's moveset.
Although if you think about it, Lucas was a semi in Brawl, so he didn't really need to be changed, and Mewtwo wasn't a clone at all, so it makes sense that he wasn't changed, and in the transition from Melee to Brawl, almost all, if not all, of the clones were changed into semi clones. Therfore I think it's reasonable to think that Roy will follow the same fate since he is a clone from Melee.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Although if you think about it, Lucas was a semi in Brawl, so he didn't really need to be changed, and Mewtwo wasn't a clone at all, so it makes sense that he wasn't changed, and in the transition from Melee to Brawl, almost all, if not all, of the clones were changed into semi clones. Therfore I think it's reasonable to think that Roy will follow the same fate since he is a clone from Melee.
Wow, I was going to say the exact same thing! Glad I didn't spend all the time typing that out, only to be Greninja'd.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I can understand people looking at previous characters when coming to the conclusion that Roy would play the same way he did in Melee but you got to understand that their was no need for any changes to Mewtwo or Lucas. Roy on the other hand is in dire need of a shake up with Lucina in the game otherwise the haters are going to have a jolly old time going about with their "3rd Marth" rhetoric.

The 2 ways to counter this is to...

- Revamp his moveset (a lot of people including myself have given ideas for how it can work so I don't see how Sakurai can't think of a revamped moveset for him).

- Give him his Awakening design to differentiate himself from his Melee counterpart.

While it won't quell all the haters, a good portion of them will most likely stop if those 2 things were implemented.

It's also kinda funny how the haters are helping our cause in a way. With them yelling "3rd Marth" and whatnot, that only further entices Sakurai to declone Roy. I guess the saying "any publicity is good publicity" has it's merits. :bee:

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
That is true, since Roy was also planned to be in Brawl Sakurai could already have some idea on how to change Roy into a semi clone.

Altea77

Smash Apprentice
That is true, since Roy was also planned to be in Brawl Sakurai could already have some idea on how to change Roy into a semi clone.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It's starting to look really likely that he'll be changed in some way.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
But what about Dr. Mario though?

:231:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Not only that but Doc along with Lucina and DP were originally going to be alts so it makes sense that they would play identical to their originators.

Knux27

Smash Journeyman
Not only that but Doc along with Lucina and DP were originally going to be alts so it makes sense that they would play identical to their originators.
Just imagine the backlash if Roy was a Marth skin, similar to the Chrom Like skin.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well we knew beforehand of what Chrom's role in the game would be. I doubt Sakurai would throw in a Roy skin knowing how popular the character is and that Marth already has a Roy inspired attire.

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Maybe they only put the code in the 3DS version because they thought everyone gave up on it and moved to the Wii U?

:happysheep:

Steelia

Smash Champion
One of the best posts I've seen in regards to Roy; it organizes all the info I've seen floating around about him (how well he fares popularity-wise, and how well his game did in Japan). Redirects are imminent:

Lots of misinformation about Roy in this topic.

First off the so-called FE fans that don't like Roy are a niche of Western FE fans that don't like lords who are not able to solo everything on the map. Due to Roy's absurdly late promotion period, he can't gain more experience by mid-game, which cripples his performance as an unit. In terms of Western FE fans who have played the Japanese games, FE6 typically ranks as the second-most popular of the Japan-only titles. The only Japan-only FE title to be more highly regarded is FE4.

As for Japanese FE fans, Roy ranks as among the most popular of the FE lords. FE6 in general is among the most popular installments there. The most popular installments are FE3, FE4, FE6, and FE7. Surprisingly, while FE13 was well-received in Japan, there is some divisiveness about the game amongst Japanese fans, particularly amongst some feeling some of the characters designs and fanservice were inappropriate for Fire Emblem and the dumbing down of map design and story.

Roy in general has always been amongst the most popular Smash Bros. characters, especially clones. Even in the West, I have seen Roy rank among the Top 10 most wanted DLC choices. In Japan though, Roy probably ranks as the most popular DLC choice, if not then in the Top 3. Roy, and Mewtwo, were the most wanted characters for Smash 4 among Japanese fans, and Roy himself was in the Top 10 most wanted characters in the West.

Roy haters have been spewing lies for years, but now their chickens are coming home to roost. The fact is that lots of people enjoyed Roy, and it was his inclusion, along with Marth's, that helped many people get into Fire Emblem in the first place. I'm sure most people who love Lucas, Ness, Marth, Ike, Captain Falcon, ROB, and Ice Climbers have not played their source material, but that doesn't make them any less legitimate fans of the character.

So stay salty misinformation spreaders.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=160299274&postcount=1322

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Well, this got out of hand.

As much as I want our boy back in the game as everyone else in here, and as much as how cool Ryu would be in the game, I can safely say we should not get too excited for this, lest we get bitterly dissapointed.

As a Ridley fan, I've learned to keep expectations as low as possible, so as not to get bitten in the ass by the rest of the internet.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703

•Col•

Smash Champion
inb4 a wave of Roy 'supporters' come in, saying they supported him all the way

The true Roy supporters have had it pretty tough over the years. Hell, just go look at the very first reply to this thread made a few years back:

Nah Roy isn't coming back, there's nothing supporting Roy in fact his game is old and he was already removed one...and if the redesign was your redeeming point, remember that "he isn't the only character with a redesign" and if you saw his game model you will know they barely worked in him....

Even after Smash4 was released and Roy didn't make the cut, I still felt that if they went through with DLC that he'd have a decent shot. He's still a fairly popular character over in Japan coincidentally. It's just frustrating to have had to deal with so many people talking in absolutes like 'He definitely won't return' and whatnot.

Anyway, obviously nothing is guaranteed, but at least people will have to acknowledge that he has at least a shot of getting into the game with he new sound files appearing.

Also.. Just wanted to point out something a little humorous while looking through my post history in this thread.. Turns out a couple years ago I came up with an idea of how to properly make a Marth clone*coughLucinacough*.

I agree that removing his sweetspot altogether would ironically make him more unique. The Marth's sweetspot is what makes him unique in the cast. Taking away Roy's sweetspot would make him stand out from Marth who he's supposed to be a clone of. It'd be an easy way to Luigi-fy him from Marth in that he would have less risk(not punished as harshly for messed up spacing) but less reward(not as powerful attacks). His knockback/damage levels for attacks could be in between Marth's tippered and non-tippered attacks.

So yeah. Take away the sweetspot, maybe put some more emphasis on his Special B moves, give him a couple unique attacks and then you'd have a whole new, unique character.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
What really winds me up is everyone is banging about how Roy is a clone, while Ryu, THE MOST VANILLA FIGHTING GAME PROTAGINIST IN THE WORLD, gets a free pass for being "iconic".

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What really winds me up is everyone is banging about how Roy is a clone, while Ryu, THE MOST VANILLA FIGHTING GAME PROTAGINIST IN THE WORLD, gets a free pass for being "iconic".
Roy is just Marth's ken

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Even though I don't post here very much, I'm excited to see the leak's credibility getting stronger. We may finally see our boy return and be legitimized in the eyes of the Smash community as being a character with actual fans, instead of being just an advertisement or a Marth clone. I am so sick of all of the crap that he gets from both Smash and FE fans. I beat FE6, and I didn't think he was that horrible. Sure, he didn't have that much of a personality (neither does Marth for that matter), and his performance on the battlefield isn't as good as other MCs in the series, but I still liked him because he was the first Smash character who I actually dedicated serious time into learning. He also introduced me to FE as a franchise. Even though I don't play him in Melee anymore, he will always be my P:M main, and possibly one of my more played secondaries in Smash 4, provided all of these sources are legitimate.

On a different note, if this is true, Roy's new-found relevance as DLC might mean that we could see a remake of FE6 that finally sees its way overseas. Keeping my fingers crossed. Please don't let me down, IS.

Last edited:

Fowlman11

Smash Rookie
The biggest issue I personally had with Roy in FE 6 was that the sealed sword had limited uses (20 or 25 if I remember correctly). This drastically cut his potential and coupled with his late promotion, made him almost unplayable.

On my second playthrough I gave the sealed sword unlimited uses and Roy was an unstoppable beast. I'm very very glad that he's coming back and I'm happy for all his supporters. Roy truly is and always will be, my boy.

Last edited:

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
inb4 a wave of Roy 'supporters' come in, saying they supported him all the way

The true Roy supporters have had it pretty tough over the years. Hell, just go look at the very first reply to this thread made a few years back:

Even after Smash4 was released and Roy didn't make the cut, I still felt that if they went through with DLC that he'd have a decent shot. He's still a fairly popular character over in Japan coincidentally. It's just frustrating to have had to deal with so many people talking in absolutes like 'He definitely won't return' and whatnot.

Anyway, obviously nothing is guaranteed, but at least people will have to acknowledge that he has at least a shot of getting into the game with he new sound files appearing.

Also.. Just wanted to point out something a little humorous while looking through my post history in this thread.. Turns out a couple years ago I came up with an idea of how to properly make a Marth clone*coughLucinacough*.
As a Fire Emblem fan you shouldn't be happy about Roy (if he remained a clone that is) it is gonna only add oil to the fire that's the Fire Emblem image in SSB4, Lucina ruined the image, and Roy will destroy it completely.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
...I'm sorry, are you seriously suggesting people will stop buying fire emblem because of clones in a fighting game?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, am glad that Roy is going to come back actually. Him and Ike returning where basically my Fire Emblem wishes for Smash 4, and it looks like it's about to come true. Which is great, cause I loved FE6 a great deal when I got to play it for the first time about... 5~6 years ago. The fact that he's coming back, and Lucas to, makes me really want to play FE6 and Mother 3 again. Two games, togheter with FE12 that I'd really like to be ported to English on the VC one day.

Anyway, Flare Boy is back and I think that's good news. :roypm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom