• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The data file thing is interesting. Never thought Roy would really make it back, but it seems like he might actually return now. Gonna post here to stay updated.

Steelia

Smash Champion
The data file thing is interesting. Never thought Roy would really make it back, but it seems like he might actually return now. Gonna post here to stay updated.
I sincerely doubt you'll hear much from here on out until E3, for now it's fans gushing about his highly potential return :p It's a little hard to speculate when it comes to random ripped game files.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Uh, guys, nice enthusiasm and all, but maybe we should prepare for the possibility of the leak being a ruse by Nintendo by, I don't know, not stopping with the voting?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Uh, guys, nice enthusiasm and all, but maybe we should prepare for the possibility of the leak being a ruse by Nintendo by, I don't know, not stopping with the voting?
A lot will vote for Roy anyway, perhaps unknown of this fact. I made my own vote anyway, but yeah.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, Nintendo has never actually done this before, so it seems doubtful to me. They really hate leakers and hackers.

There is a chance that these might be a ruse, but the chances are probably 5-10% at most.

:231:

Last edited:

Steelia

Smash Champion
If that's the case, Capcom's gonna be up their *** for putting that random Street Fighter stuff in there.

Marthmario

Smash Lord
My boy... is finally coming back after 14 years... Welcome home... Roy

I now need an image of Roy in a group hug with Marth, Ike, Robin and Lucina.

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
Seeing all these Twitter posts make me cry with joy.

I...Okay...I'll come out and say it.

I only got into Smash in 2013, but I've been a diehard Nintendo fan since I was a kid. My first Smash game was Brawl, never played 64 or Melee. Never played Project M because I couldn't get it to work(yet I have Roy as my PM main just to have him in there.). When I first played Brawl, I had previously done research on the game, and found out about Sheik, so I mained him(I see Sheik as a man). Later, I discovered Marth, fell in love, and that brought me to Fire Emblem. Upon doing research about this series, I discovered Roy in Melee, thought he was a cutie, watched some gameplay videos about him, and, like Marth, fell in love. Ever since then, I've wanted Roy to make a return.

And here I am!

I seriously hope he comes back. Please, Sakurai.

Speculator

Smash Ace
What really winds me up is everyone is banging about how Roy is a clone, while Ryu, THE MOST VANILLA FIGHTING GAME PROTAGINIST IN THE WORLD, gets a free pass for being "iconic".
"Iconic"? Ryu is Mr. Fighting Games, of course it's a huge deal if he makes it in. He might be vanilla, but there's nobody like him already present on the SSB roster. The issue people take with Roy, at least in his Melee incarnation, is that there are two very similar characters in the SSB4 lineup. Fire Emblem is very well-represented already, Roy would bring that total to five (as many as LoZ!) and it would be a shame if 60% of those characters had a near-identical moveset.

He's difficult to justify without a unique quirk (and not just where his blade does the most damage). If Roy does come back, I hope at least he feels more like he does in Fire Emblem. Binding Blade wasn't released back when he was designed for Melee. They ought to pay special attention to his depiction in that game, like his attack animations and his combat strengths and weaknesses, to try and create a character with a more discernable "feel".

PKFreeze89

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Scizor711
3DS FC
4742-5952-7792
Well, this got out of hand.

As much as I want our boy back in the game as everyone else in here, and as much as how cool Ryu would be in the game, I can safely say we should not get too excited for this, lest we get bitterly dissapointed.

As a Ridley fan, I've learned to keep expectations as low as possible, so as not to get bitten in the *** by the rest of the internet.
First of all, Ridley was NEVER considered to be playable on Smash and Mr Sakurai has stated this more than once. He was always supposed to be a boss, so you Ridley fans are the ones setting yourselves for disappointment. No one has ever found his victory sounds or stuff like that, this isn't a comparable situation.

Also, Ryu is iconic and Roy is a veteran, I rest my case here.

Troykv

Smash Master
"Iconic"? Ryu is Mr. Fighting Games, of course it's a huge deal if he makes it in. He might be vanilla, but there's nobody like him already present on the SSB roster. The issue people take with Roy, at least in his Melee incarnation, is that there are two very similar characters in the SSB4 lineup. Fire Emblem is very well-represented already, Roy would bring that total to five (as many as LoZ!) and it would be a shame if 60% of those characters had a near-identical moveset.

He's difficult to justify without a unique quirk (and not just where his blade does the most damage). If Roy does come back, I hope at least he feels more like he does in Fire Emblem. Binding Blade wasn't released back when he was designed for Melee. They ought to pay special attention to his depiction in that game, like his attack animations and his combat strengths and weaknesses, to try and create a character with a more discernable "feel".
It's funny, TLOZ un Melee has 2 original chars (Zelda & Sheik), one char with clons (Link), and 2 clons (Young Link and Ganondorf) xD ...

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
Well well, I missed the boards for few days and look how many things!

First of all, about the leak: if you ever played World of Warcraft, you should be pretty familiar with dataming spoilers. I lot, and I mean a lot, of stuff get datamined MONTHS before their actual release, those files can be basically the same thing. But, since WoW is an MMO, one of the main explanation that comes to my mind about those files is that they weren't supposed to be there, maybe some distract programmer left them there and forgot to remove, like the infamous Konami code.

If those file are real, this would be a great new for all Roy fans but I'm still skeptical, since those could really be a very, VERY elaborate hoax or simply scrapped files. Until Roy gets a real confirmation (like the Lucas one), I'll keep sending my votes...and its a very long way to the E3, where the new DLC fighters will probably be announced.

I've read that many people complain that Sakurai once said "No fighting game character in smash", but let's be honest here: its the same thing he said about Animal Crossing in smash, and now we have the Villager! A lot of people seems to forget that Smash Bros. is not a parade, character are not added because X game needs some rep, fighter are added when they add something new to the table. Shulk is not here because Xenoblade needed a rep, but because Sakurai was able to add a swordfighter with a very unique playstyle.
Same for Greeninja, it was added because Sakurai had a stroke of genius when he saw the desing of the character, and not because 4 pokemons weren't enought for the Pokemon franchise.

And lets be real: we waited for Mewtwo trailer and we get a tons of new content; the trailer, Lucas announcement, new Mii gear, the ballot...
Would be so unrealistic to expect a single fighter for the E3 and then see Roy + Ryu + new stages? Would be truly Sakurai style to me.

By the way, if (when) Roy will be confirmed, I'll probabily shift to another character to support. At first I thought it will be Wolf (I liked him in Brawl), but all in all I think I'll support the character with the thread with the least amount of "we dont need fire marth plz" posts...I mean, really? When Lucas appeared in the direct the PK Love thread was flooded by congratulations from everyone, and for Roy AND Ryu people complain? Really, what the hell.

I sincerely doubt you'll hear much from here on out until E3, for now it's fans gushing about his highly potential return :p It's a little hard to speculate when it comes to random ripped game files.
Something else might come out. Like ph1r3ry sound effects. :roll:

Apollyon

Smash Apprentice
As a fellow supporter for Roy, I just wanted to congratulate you guys on your ray of hope in the new sound files. Cheers mates, we'll be playing Roy soon enough.

Adeptmune

Smash Apprentice
By the way, if (when) Roy will be confirmed, I'll probabily shift to another character to support. At first I thought it will be Wolf (I liked him in Brawl), but all in all I think I'll support the character with the thread with the least amount of "we dont need fire marth plz" posts...I mean, really? When Lucas appeared in the direct the PK Love thread was flooded by congratulations from everyone, and for Roy AND Ryu people complain? Really, what the hell.
This is what kills me. I'm all for any vet coming back.

It SUCKS having your main cut. A lot. As a (proud) Roy main, I sympathize with anyone else that mained a now-cut character. Even though I never used Lucas, I was happy he came back. Lucas mains can now have their main back, and that's awesome. Same goes for Mewtwo, or any other vets that may come back. I'm happy for all of them.

But gods does it SUCK when seemingly so many others treat your main like dirt. Like, I'm sorry Wolf or Snake or whoever haven't been confirmed yet (and really, Roy still isn't technically confirmed, either), but dang, could there just be a little less Roy hate? Why can't we all just support EVERY lost character? I can understand being disappointed because you wanted a different vet first or something, but at LEAST be happy for those who finally can use their old main again. It's not like it's Roy vs Wolf, or Roy vs whoever.
Roy possibly being in doesn't mean Wolf wont be.

Gah, whatever. People can be negative if they want, I guess. But it's really disheartening to see people so salty over Roy.

You don't have to be jumping for joy, but you don't have to be a jerk, either...

(Also, that was all the royal "you." Not anyone specific. Also sorry for any bleh grammar, I'm on my phone right now.)

Graizen

Smash Champion
I can see it now... A Trailer on E3... Roy apears to fight against Ike... After that Ryu apears using Tornado Kick... Mario starts fighting Ryu 1vs1 Street Fighter Style...

•Col•

Smash Champion
As a Fire Emblem fan you shouldn't be happy about Roy (if he remained a clone that is) it is gonna only add oil to the fire that's the Fire Emblem image in SSB4, Lucina ruined the image, and Roy will destroy it completely.
You really can't ever admit that you're wrong, can you? I thought maybe in the past 2 years you may have matured some, but it doesn't seem like that is the case. Yeah, I'm sure one of the most iconic and favorite Fire Emblem characters being added to Smash 4 will ruin the FE image. /s

This coming from the person who fiercely supported a character like Chrom, who Sakurai himself admitted was too bland a character to put into the game. Not to mention that you support Chrom to be added in as a clone, and now try to claim that Roy getting in as a clone will tarnish the FE image. Just get out of here, man.

Seriously though, I've called you out for this years beforehand, but you really do just lie and BS in whatever way possible to try to win an argument just to swing people to your side or to save face.

TBH, I still don't buy the IGN bull****, IGN is a site that's full of stupidity, and I don't put it beyond them faking something like that, I think Chrom is not going to Join now, but he will join later on as an Ike clone (a fast Ike will be welcomed) and I don't mind clones anymore, Sakurai can do it, the model is there the bones are there, he need to repair his relationship with Chrom fans...it really is terrible! I've became a Chrom supporter after confirming Ike was in the game, it's quite cruel for Sakurai to treat the character like that.

In fact he might be another G&W situation, where G&W appeared in the Pacman trailer but wasn't mentioned in the site, maybe this is how they are revealing secret charaters!.
^This is an example of the type of people Roy supporters have had to deal with for 8+ years, people. They will do anything to negatively warp the public perception of Roy but then they don't hold their own characters that they support to the same standard.

Whatever, I guess. I'm just gonna take the newly found Roy files as a small victory for now. Hopefully he'll get added into the game soon enough so we can all finally feel vindicated. :)

Last edited:

Lautsuu~

Smash Journeyman
You really can't ever admit that you're wrong, can you? I thought maybe in the past 2 years you may have matured some, but it doesn't seem like that is the case. Yeah, I'm sure one of the most iconic and favorite Fire Emblem characters being added to Smash 4 will ruin the FE image. /s

This coming from the person who fiercely supported a character like Chrom, who Sakurai himself admitted was too bland a character to put into the game. Not to mention that you support Chrom to be added in as a clone, and now try to claim that Roy getting in as a clone will tarnish the FE image. Just get out of here, man.

Seriously though, I've called you out for this years beforehand, but you really do just lie and BS in whatever way possible to try to win an argument just to swing people to your side or to save face.

^This is an example of the type of people Roy supporters have had to deal with for 8+ years, people. They will do anything to negatively warp the public perception of Roy but then they don't hold their own characters that they support to the same standard.

Whatever, I guess. I'm just gonna take the newly found Roy files as a small victory for now. Hopefully he'll get added into the game soon enough so we can all finally feel vindicated. :)
Can I hug you? Please? I really love you right now.

I've seen a lot of Roy haters on NeoGAF and Youtube, I want to prove 'em wrong!

•Col•

Smash Champion
Let's drop this aggressiveness here, please.
I know I come across as aggressive, but I feel like I should be able to call someone out for lying and/or being hypocrtical in order to try to put others down. I know for a fact that there are several people in this thread that have been supporting Roy since before Brawl was even released.

Now, finally, when they get some pleasant news that gives credence to Roy becoming playable once again, they log onto Smashboards to share in the excitement of others, they are greeted with someone saying that Roy will tarnish the image of FE and be a detriment to SmashBros.. Really?

Just let them have their moment for once. Nothing is even confirmed yet, so why should you get your pants all in a twist and try to put people down just because their character has a chance of getting into the game?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Here ... that's some gold ... Thanks the Smash Leak group ...

2) I'm not going to buy Roy. Just because he'll be playable doesn't mean I'll have to buy him. I'm sorry, but I won't pay full price for a full clone. I can accept Lucina, Dark Pit and Dr Mario because they were a "either this or nothing" situation (and Doc is different enough because of Divergent Character Evolution), but making people pay for a clone is outrageous. Nintendo will have to work really hard on this one if they want me to give them money for this character. I've never even played his game. I don't know anything about him that wasn't covered in Super Smash Bros Melee.

I'm not going to buy Roy. Just because he'll be playable doesn't mean I'll have to buy him. I'm sorry, but I won't pay full price for a full clone.

but making people pay for a clone is outrageous.

Guys ... please ... just ... stap ... Every people with a minimum of brain know that Roy is VISUALY a clone of Marth but not the same Gameplay / Gameplan / MindGame ...

I hope they will add a trailer for him soon , can't stand more those idiot ...

Maybe here at smash broad i'm some random Roy fan ... but i'll do my best to defend our boy in Europe . And with this leak , they all begun to be agressif and salty... Why nobody can't be happy for anyone else ? Why do they can't just say " Cool for you ! Maybe our character will be next ..." No , always Salt ... always ...

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92

Wow man!, cool off!, that was not cool, insulting me like that ?! I stated that if Roy returns as a clone of Marth it would stir the Fire Emblem Haters society, I would love it if Roy had unique moveset, but I doubt that would be the case considering how lazy is Sakurai, and I just love it how you called me a hypocrite! You should know that I never hated clones, but I hate it when I have 2 clones of the same characters, that's too much, and TBF I would've rather had Roy over Lucina any day,because you know I once was a Roy fan (and a Sonic fan I might say) but my taste changed as I've grown. Don't get me wrong, I get it! you like Roy, and I hope he comes back as unique as possible, and for the love of god never dis Chrom please! you should know he can be more unique than Roy could ever be, because he uses Lances alongside Swords, and when I suggested that Chrom becomes Ike clone it was merely because both of them had the same air surrounding them and both of them use Aether.

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
First of all, Ridley was NEVER considered to be playable on Smash and Mr Sakurai has stated this more than once. He was always supposed to be a boss, so you Ridley fans are the ones setting yourselves for disappointment. No one has ever found his victory sounds or stuff like that, this isn't a comparable situation.

Also, Ryu is iconic and Roy is a veteran, I rest my case here.
First of all, I've only said I was a Ridley fan. Never said why I was one or why you should be one or anything of the sort. No need to throw your opinion at my face like that.

Second of all, I've said that as a Ridley fan, I know what it feels like what it is to be disappointed to not have your character in the game. This kind of massive over hyping and extreme anticipation is the kind of mistake we Ridley fans made several times, so I'm just telling you to not make that same mistake.

Third of all, why should I care what you think of the characters I support? Better question, why should you care about the characters I support to begin with? Just saying here.

Also, Ryu may be iconic, and Roy may be a veteran, but they're not guaranteed. Just pointing that out there.

And lastly, unless I'm missing anything here, I'm fairly certain none of this is 100% confirmed. Sure, it may be, but it can also backfire painfully. So I'm just telling you guys, don't lower your guard. I really don't want to end up being the one saying "told ya so".

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
I've never once posted here. But congrats everyone on getting one step closer to DLC :p I've never once played an FE, which one(s) is Roy in?

Steelia

Smash Champion
I've never once posted here. But congrats everyone on getting one step closer to DLC :p I've never once played an FE, which one(s) is Roy in?
One of the GBA titles, Fire Emblem: Fūin no Tsurugi. Was never translated to English, but there are some great translation patches floating around like what was done for MOTHER 3.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
If Roy ends up getting in, they'll be no salt in my thread. People should take their negativity and channel it somewhere else, but I know not everyone would do that...

Also, we don't know how much they'd charge for Roy. We don't know of he'd be the same price or cheaper. We don't know if he'd be an extra from some DLC pack. We don't know if he'd get moveset changes, but we can make a good guess and say he'd probably be similar to Falco/Ganon at the very least.

Whether Roy gets in or not, I hope people will remain civil with each other. We have a long wait until Roy's officially proven (or not), so let's not stir up too much heat in the meantime, mkay?

ItsRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elibe-Guardian
3DS FC
3239-2802-5492
This is what kills me. I'm all for any vet coming back.

It SUCKS having your main cut. A lot. As a (proud) Roy main, I sympathize with anyone else that mained a now-cut character. Even though I never used Lucas, I was happy he came back. Lucas mains can now have their main back, and that's awesome. Same goes for Mewtwo, or any other vets that may come back. I'm happy for all of them.

But gods does it SUCK when seemingly so many others treat your main like dirt. Like, I'm sorry Wolf or Snake or whoever haven't been confirmed yet (and really, Roy still isn't technically confirmed, either), but dang, could there just be a little less Roy hate? Why can't we all just support EVERY lost character? I can understand being disappointed because you wanted a different vet first or something, but at LEAST be happy for those who finally can use their old main again. It's not like it's Roy vs Wolf, or Roy vs whoever.
Roy possibly being in doesn't mean Wolf wont be.

Gah, whatever. People can be negative if they want, I guess. But it's really disheartening to see people so salty over Roy.

You don't have to be jumping for joy, but you don't have to be a jerk, either...

(Also, that was all the royal "you." Not anyone specific. Also sorry for any bleh grammar, I'm on my phone right now.)
Then don't go anywhere near gamefaqs, that place is a salt mine lmao. Not that I would recommend going anywhere near there, anyway.

Anyway, I basically had the same mindset as you. I was glad when Lucas was announced not only because it gave Roy (imo) a shred of hope, but because others got their char back. I know what it feels like to have your character gone. I've dealt with it longer than Lucas fans, and it sucks. Like, I didn't even really care about Brawl, and Smash 4 was falling into the same lull with me. I'd like to see most or even all cut vets come back. After all, they were someone's main or favorite character.

Don't get why the kids (certainly behave like some) gotta be so upset over this, it's not even like they'll even have to have Roy if they don't want him. Roy will be OPTIONAL. Really gotta be so selfish they can't just be happy for the crowds of others that're getting their chars back? And damn, none of this is even CONFIRMED yet (though it's certainly hopeful). It's just a bone we get thrown at us for the first time in....well, ever.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Then don't go anywhere near gamefaqs, that place is a salt mine lmao. Not that I would recommend going anywhere near there, anyway.
Omg yeah. Don't go anywhere NEAR gamefaqs at this time. Don't even think about going there to begin with. :laugh: The salt and pessimism I'm seeing from some people... It's going to be interesting if we do end up getting Roy ans Ryu, that's for sure.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I remember actually being not too keen on Roy's return due his clone status. In fact, you could see some of posts I made about that in early pages of this thread.

But after getting into his character more, I warmed up to him (also Project M helped a lot making me see the potential on semi-cloning him) - there's also been some fan artists who also have good understanding and portrayal of the character which had me enjoy Roy even more. There's also me sorta not feeling very much into FE post-Awakening, and I have to yet complete FE6 since the time I cleared FE7.

I can see where people then come from when not liking or warming up to him as an inclusion: if being a clone, he might there just for an extra. At this point though, asking Sakurai to keep diversifying FE over Roy is kind of expecting too much, especially if Roy would be easier to do and still satisfy a large fanbase of his all over the world.

ItsRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elibe-Guardian
3DS FC
3239-2802-5492
Omg yeah. Don't go anywhere NEAR gamefaqs at this time. Don't even think about going there to begin with. :laugh: The salt and pessimism I'm seeing from some people... It's going to be interesting if we do end up getting Roy ans Ryu, that's for sure.
Yeah..treating Roy like "dirt" as Adeptmune said pretty much sums up 80% of what goes on there. I considered making a thread there just to stir up some lolz from the haters, haha. I've seen this same guy in particular on there all day every time I took a look around acting like Roy has the plague and killed his cat.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Yeah..treating Roy like "dirt" as Adeptmune said pretty much sums up 80% of what goes on there. I considered making a thread there just to stir up some lolz from the haters, haha. I've seen this same guy in particular on there all day every time I took a look around acting like Roy has the plague and killed his cat.
Then again, 80% of GameFAQ's is comprised of dumb***** so that's not really surprising.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
http://smashboards.com/threads/patch-1-0-7-coming-soon-confirmed-by-nintendo.399323/#post-19004609

So this just popped in. Do you think the sound files might be removed after this patch?
I was thinking along the similar lines. Perhaps while they're working on Mewtwo's glitches, they could possibly remove the sound track files. However, what would that mean? They've removed evidence pointing towards two unannounced characters, and that would raise some eyebrows.

And I agree, the hatred Roy is getting is ludicrous. I'm worried it may even lead into a "Roy Whining Defense" thread like what happened to poor Diddy Kong.:4diddy: And look where that ended - R.I.P Hoo-Hah.

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
In my headcanons, Roy returning would create so much drama. His book "I'm Your Boy" (as detailed in one my recent posts in the headcanons thread) alleges that all the Smashers during the Melee era did drugs, and that Roy himself admitted to doing so. While Marth would love to have him back (given their close relationship in the past), I'm not so sure about the other Smashers, especially Link, given his whole "I'm the best swordsman" mentality. Ike and Male Robin would love to have Roy in a three-way relationship though. But will Roy leave his movie career behind to rejoin a sport he says is "filled with sleaze"? His first two movies, Something Blue (a romcom co-starring Britney Spears) and a remake of "A Clockwork Orange" did pretty well in the box office and were well-received critically.

Headcanons aside, I'd love for Roy to return, even if I have to pay a small fee.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom