• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Except, it's very unlikely Roy will get in before Ike.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
In a perfect world, I'd like to see 4 FE reps: Marth, Roy, Ike, and Krom. Don't know how likely that is though. :/ I really don't want to see anyone replaced...or cut. But I'm keeping my expectations low, and expecting the worst I guess. So then when something good happens, I'd probably say something like, "Omg, it's a miracle!".

But it's still interesting to see what they're going to do about the FE reps. And I'm wondering what they're going do about the voice acting too. I can see them keeping Marth's Japanese VA, but I wouldn't mind if they'll give him an English VA, although others might disagree with me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
But it's still interesting to see what they're going to do about the FE reps. And I'm wondering what they're going do about the voice acting too. I can see them keeping Marth's Japanese VA, but I wouldn't mind if they'll give him an English VA, although others might disagree with me.
I actually think Marth will probably now have an English VA, even if he only has one game in English. Especially if Roy makes it in, because although he'll be DLC for Awakening, his major appearance is still Japanese only. Not that any of this will have anything to do with anybody's chances (it's not like FE needs a Japanese speaking character in Smash), just speculating. I'm guessing that an English VA will result in some backlash though. Oh well. :ohwell:

Though honestly I'm much more curious about what they'll look like (which designs are used) than how they sound.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Fact: It is impossible to listen to this and not want Roy back.

HMM SAY SOYAH YAHHH :roymelee:
Yeah, listening to that makes me really nostalgic for Roy as well (and Melee in general).

However, I clicked on the link, and there is some loud mouth in the comments spouting the same lies as other Roy-haters do, namely that Roy is unpopular in Japan.

Maybe somebody with a youtube account would so kindly as to link him to this topic:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202-super-smash-bros-wii-u/64873505

and also tell him that Roy was planned for Brawl. It would not hurt to also mention that FE6 was one of the highest selling games in the series.

As I said before, we need to be much more pro-active against these types, and dispel the lies they say.

I feel a lot of the opposition to Roy is mostly due to misconceptions and lies about Roy.

I actually think Marth will probably now have an English VA, even if he only has one game in English. Especially if Roy makes it in, because although he'll be DLC for Awakening, his major appearance is still Japanese only. Not that any of this will have anything to do with anybody's chances (it's not like FE needs a Japanese speaking character in Smash), just speculating. I'm guessing that an English VA will result in some backlash though. Oh well. :ohwell:

Though honestly I'm much more curious about what they'll look like (which designs are used) than how they sound.
Even if he speaks English now, which I assume he will, there is always the option to change the language to Japanese.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Except in Brawl for whatever reason.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Even if he speaks English now, which I assume he will, there is always the option to change the language to Japanese.
Yeah, I was thinking having the option to switch the language to Japanese would create less backlash as well. Maybe something like in MvC3, where you can change the spoken language to Japanese for the characters (well, the Capcom ones anyway).

Would it make sense to say that not having the Japanese option in Brawl was to discourage importing? I'm not sure really, but I do miss the option. :/ I always loved playing as "Koopa" and "Purin" (I loved the voice as well).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
There was no Japanese language in the PAL version though and it's extremely unlikely Roy would talk English.

:phone:

D

Deleted member

With Awakening's DLC, I'm pretty sure Roy speaking English would be justified.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
With Awakening's DLC, I'm pretty sure Roy speaking English would be justified.
Likely, unless the Japan-only characters don't get released for some odd reason, which I honestly don't think will happen. Seeing that an item called Alm's Blade was briefly seen in an English trailer (as you likely know, Alm is one of the main characters in FE: Gaiden, the second game of the series).

Marth first, then we'll see later.
Considering that there was a Fire Emblem OVA dubbed in English, it's likely that Nintendo might use the same actor, much like what happens in the Japanese version (same actor for anime and Smash Bros.).

Kellz

Smash Cadet
NNID
MissKellyAesop
3DS FC
2466-4507-1948
I'm just going to say Roy has been my favorite Smash character for years for a reason unknown to me. I've never even been a big FE fan. I was heartbroken was Brawl's roster was leaked and I saw no Roy. But with Smash 4 on the way, my hopes are high again.

:roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee:

Also, with Marth presumptuously remaining Japanese worldwide, I think Roy will stay the same. His voice is sex.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I'm just going to say Roy has been my favorite Smash character for years for a reason unknown to me. I've never even been a big FE fan. I was heartbroken was Brawl's roster was leaked and I saw no Roy. But with Smash 4 on the way, my hopes are high again.

:roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee::roymelee:

Also, with Marth presumptuously remaining Japanese worldwide, I think Roy will stay the same. His voice is sex.
I need Roy to come back for SSB4. He is too amazing.
It really pleases me when I see new users join and voice their support for Roy. Its very grand, and it goes a long way for helping show that there is a very strong demand for our boy to return for Smash 4. Hopefully you two will be active in showing your support for Roy in the coming years ahead.

t3h ph1r3 RISES!

Roy's Our Boy!

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Daww, y'know, it pleases me as well. Heck, seeing any support for Roy pleases my heart. Am I allowed to post some fan art of Roy? I mean, I know this is no tumblr...

...Because this thread needs more phir3.

<-- See? Roy's smiling for you guys! He's happy that he's seeing a lot of support! lol what is this i don't even

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Roy celebrating with Marth and Ike after he learns that he is coming back for Smash 4:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
That's a funny gif, Chrono. :p

I also want Roy back in SSB4. I think him and Mewtwo deserve to return, since they are the most unique characters to have been removed in Brawl.

We need our boy back! We need his ph1r3 back!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I dont play fire emblem at all or Zelda i have no knowledge at all for FE and i dont even perfer sword users in Smash games at all!!. But if i had to pick one i used to pick Roy abit in Melee he was my fav sword user.

I am for Roy may not be a strong personal fan but a supporter none the less despite not knowing FE and not perfering sword users just shows in general and for someone with my preference takes a liking to Roy shows how awsome Roy is and the Impact he has left...

If he doesnt make it back i will no doubt feel upset expecially more for the big personal passionate supporter/fans of Roy that i respect and how extremely upset if he doesnt get in the same level of upset i would be if Mewtwo doesnt return...

Also how i feel about Roy is pretty much the same about Megaman havent played none of his games and wouldnt perfer his playstyle of projectiles because i perfer samus over him no matter what.

But i respect the supporters of them and would be Shocked/bang outta order if Roy & Megaman dont get in...alotta hearts will be shattered...

Watashi

Smash Cadet
I think Roy should come back. He has enough going for him, and he has a cool redesign.

The Black mage

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2492-4215-1228
I really like Roy more than Ike. I don't know why, probably because roy is the son of Eliwood, why starred in the very first fire emblem released outside japan.

And because he had a friggin big sword.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ike's sword is bigger, and better yet, doesn't break after 20 uses.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ike's sword is bigger, and better yet, doesn't break after 20 uses.

He was talking about Eliwood. The Durandal is absolutely massive compared to every other holy sword in the series. Its amazing that Eliwood is even able to wield it.

Also, FE6 was made back in a time when Fire Emblem was supposed to challenge you. :troll: (its the second most difficult game in the series, the only one more difficult is FE5).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
FE6 is only difficult cause of OMGBERSEKSTAFFZ (and everyone has poop resistance), rather hard to acces Gaiden chapters, Roy who has growth rates that leave much to be desired (I always RNG-hack him with save states though- can't stand him otherwise) and has a very late story-related promotion, but that's about it.

Axes suck really badly in FE6, and never hit. Anima magic is the complete opposite. And hard mode bonuses come on characters that are really awesome, like Rutger, Shin and Percival. The game actually gets a lot easier after a while, but yes, I argue it's a lot harder still than FE7, 8, and 9. Dunno if it's as hard as Hard Mode Radiant Dawn though.

Durandal is pretty awesome yeah, but Eliwood just sucks. Sorry, but I've never really managed to see him being very powerful in FE7. He can use lances however, so that's a plus. But otherwise, he's easily the worst of the 3 Lords in FE7.

Really need to play FE4 and FE5 though.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
FE6 is only difficult cause of OMGBERSEKSTAFFZ (and everyone has poop resistance), rather hard to acces Gaiden chapters, Roy who has growth rates that leave much to be desired (I always RNG-hack him with save states though- can't stand him otherwise) and has a very late story-related promotion, but that's about it.

Durandal is pretty awesome yeah, but Eliwood just sucks. Sorry, but I've never really managed to see him being very powerful in FE7. He can use lances however, so that's a plus. But otherwise, he's easily the worst of the 3 Lords in FE7.
Roy actually has better growths than most of the characters in FE6. Roy's problems are not his growths so much as his absurdly late promotion (1 chapter before the final chapter if you did not collect all the holy weapons, three chapters before the end if you did). If Roy promoted at oh say Chapter 16 (which was when he was promoted in the FE6 manga, and when he became commander of the Etrurian army), definitely would have been a really good lord. He even has the second best support triangle in the game (the only one that is better is Clarine-Rutger-Dieck).

As for Eliwood, he is mostly regarded as better than Lyn (just look at the tier lists for FE7). Eliwood has gotten the name "the god of balance", because he is a well-rounded unit without any really notable weaknesses. Hector of course is the best. However, on Hector Mode, I have seen Eliwood ranked higher than Hector on the tier lists. Regardless, its pretty much regarded as Lyn being the worst of the three FE7 lords by those who have extensively played the game.

Also, if you want to continue this conversation, please do it through a private message, I don't want this thread de-railed by this topic. This is a support topic for Roy, not a Fire Emblem series debate topic.

brawl1ngmma

Smash Rookie
I would be ecstatic if Roy returned, hopefully with at least a luigified moveset and his (godly) FE13 appearance.
Yeah, Roy was simply one of the best characters that was in Melee and it really sucked when they took him out of Brawl. He had a solid moveset, he moved with fair speed and who didn't love using his B button attack?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Roy was pretty bad in Melee actually. He was basically a much worse Marth, kinda like Pikachu and Pichu in comparison.

Chrono, it surprises me Eliwood is considered better than Lyn. But I can see why, cause the Sol Katti really sucks. Pre-promotion, Lyn definitely kicks his ***. And yes, after Chapter 16 would imo also be the best time for Roy to promote. It's even earlier than Ike would promote in FE9, which is always good. Still, wish the Sword of Seals had like, an additional 20 uses or something. 20 maximal uses is so bad... :urg: Luckily he can also use Durandal, but I'd rather save that for another sword fighter.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Roy was pretty bad in Melee actually. He was basically a much worse Marth, kinda like Pikachu and Pichu in comparison.

Chrono, it surprises me Eliwood is considered better than Lyn. But I can see why, cause the Sol Katti really sucks. Pre-promotion, Lyn definitely kicks his ***.
Most Smash Bros. players (probably only 5% are competitive) are not tournament players though, and in casual play Roy is definitely a good character. However, among competitive play, Roy is a low-tier character.

As for Eliwood and Lyn, I already told you to take the discussion to a PM, but I will address the matter of Fire Emblem tier lists here. Their positions are determined by utility and quality over the entire course of the game, not the end-point (which means that endgame Eliwood being superior to Lyn is not the reason why Eliwood is considered better than Lyn).

zkaka3000

Smash Cadet
I always loved Roy. He was a fun character to play, and manly too. I would love his return.

I'm sure you all have seen his redesign. Despite being based on a Mercenary, it's still an awesome, fresh new look.

[collapse=Roy]

All I have to say is: Roy! Why is most of your weight in your thighs?! Did you get, like, estrogen injections or something? I kid, I kid. :p Roy's badass and he knows it.[/collapse]

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm probably the only one that thinks this, but I find Roy's redesign kinda elegant. Idk, maybe it's the hair. Or the belts, ribbons, and cape. Or maybe the way the headband's tied up. Hmm, I think it's all of these things. Roy reminds me of some elegant prince/king.
Although we all know that Marthy Marth is the most elegant/fabulous FE lord

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah he has a sort of regal look going for him. It's a cool contrast to his boyish looks in FE6 and Melee. It's cool and all, but don't really expect Roy to look much like that if he makes it in.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Yeah he has a sort of regal look going for him. It's a cool contrast to his boyish looks in FE6 and Melee. It's cool and all, but don't really expect Roy to look much like that if he makes it in.
Couldn't have said it better. Regal is the perfect word to describe him. And I agree that it's a nice contrast to his previous designs. I mean, Marth has always struck me to be the more "flamboyant" type, because of Super Smash and his original appearance. So seeing Awakening Marth having a bit of that characteristic wasn't really a surprise. For Roy I was surprised, but in a good way. It'll be a shame if Roy doesn't have his redesign if he gets in though. I'm still hoping for him to be loosely based on it, or as an alt/dlc lol.

Shun_one

Smash Ace
NNID
not_shun_one
IMO, of all the redesigns, Roy's is best if only because it actually looks like a redesign as opposed to him simply having a new class.

I hope he comes back, if only for more Fire Emblem. I wouldn't be surprised if he used his DLC appearance as a shout-out to Nintendo's first paid DLC thing as well (Marth was free for a time). It's certainly been recieved well enough.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've heard a rumor that's Ike's eruption was originally supposed to be Roy's new Neutral B move.

If he came back with this move (and Ike getting something else) would you like it?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Most Smash Bros. players (probably only 5% are competitive) are not tournament players though, and in casual play Roy is definitely a good character. However, among competitive play, Roy is a low-tier character.
5% is VERY generous.

And yes, Roy wasn't bad in a free for all. He's decently quick and his attacks do better closer. Marth could hit harder, but Roy's sweet spot was bigger and easier to use in a large fight. He also had slightly better specials. His air moves sucked though.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'd say about 5% of active smash bros players (as in, play it at least once a month against other people IRL) are tournament players. That and probably a bit more than 100k or so people roughly follow the smash competitive scene, albeit to different extents.

As for Roy, yeah, he's good at the casual level, but Marth is still far superior. Marth has more range, knockback, and hitstun with most of his attacks. He also does more damage with nearly every attack (his neutral B and down B might be the only exceptions, actually), and has a better, easier to locate, and more viable tipper (the end of the sword vs. some random spot in the middle).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It's not about being casual or competitive, if you have just the smallest grain of skill you quickly realise Marth is so much better than Roy. Most casuals I know even prefer Marth.

Well, enough about Roy vs Marth, this isn't 2002 no more. :rolleyes:

I like Roy to myself, but people shouldn't be saying 'he was easily the best character in the game lololol OHKO with full charged neutral B'.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
It's not about being casual or competitive, if you have just the smallest grain of skill you quickly realise Marth is so much better than Roy. Most casuals I know even prefer Marth.
Most casuals I knew though Roy(and later Ike) were cooler than Marth.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I'm sure if Roy returned, he would have a completely different playstyle since his redesign. Maybe still based around fire, but he has alot of combos.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I'll post this as people might get a kick.

Did you know that Mewtwo and Roy were planned for Brawl. Maybe you did. But you might be surprised how close you were.

>There are a lot of cut characters in Brawl's data. Mewtwo and Roy are both there, but they have something else that sets them apart. Victory themes. Every character (save Wolf) has a file for a victory theme. This would have been like Meta-Knight's theme. It was scrapped for whatever reason, but the file lingers on. Mewtwo and Roy have this which is unique compared to the other cut characters.

>In Brawl, each character has three unlocking conditions. 1)Play a certain number of verses matches 2)Have the character join you in the subspace emissary 3)Complete a specific condition. But Sonic has 4. Why? These might have been meant for Roy and Mewtwo (we know Sonic was added much later in development). In fact, one of them is much like Mewtwo's Melee unlock (Play Brawl for 10 hours)

>After you beat the subspace emissary, door will appear that will take you to fight a hidden character. All of these doors are above the ground where every other door isn't. Well, there are two other doors like this that don't have a character behind them. One is in Skyworld (after Mario joins you) and the other is in the Lakeside (after killing an enemy). The Skyworld one doesn't have anything significant behind it.

>Take a look at the roster for a moment. Now, do the following
  1. Remove Sonic and the random box.
  2. Move Mr. game and watch and Snake down. Snake should be in the bottom right corner.
  3. Move Ness and Lucas to the top right corner.
What two characters fit in there the best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom