• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watashi

Smash Cadet
Gotta agree with Chrono. Roy maybe popular because smash bros, but he can stand on his own.

Also doesn't Fire Emblem Awakening doing well both critically and Pre-order wise?

:phone:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Roy's popular in Japan, and in the West, was planned for Brawl, and is appearing in two upcoming games (FE 13 [yeah I know it's DLC, but still. A lot of people like his new design and whatnot] and SMTxFE [we don't know much, but him being included is nice for Western fans]). I think his chances are pretty high. The only way I see that he won't make it in is if the time restrains happen again. And if that happens, not only to Roy but to others again, like Mewtwo, that would just plain suck monkey balls. Well, I'm personally hoping for 4 FE reps anyway.

D

Deleted member

Roy has been forsaken ever since. At least the sticker of him represents the memory of him as Melee fighter. I won't care if he returns in SSB4. He'll probably be based on his appearance from Awakening.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Because Luigi-fied clones aren't even so bad at all. There's a clear difference between characters as Wolf, Lucas and Toon Link to say, Dr.Mario, Pichu and Young Link. Roy could easily be made more unique from Marth. And I doubt we have seen the best of "clones" like in Brawl.

Qlaw

Smash Cadet
roy was most likely going to be much different in brawl. Plus, they're probly going to make each clone even more different than the last game.

Hell, why are they even considered clones at this point?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Cause people are sometimes just incredibly stupid...

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
I guess it's like how Ryu, Akuma and Gouken play very differently in Street Fighter, but they're called "shotoclones" because they all throw hadoukens and perform spinny kicks. Even though they're obviously unique from each other in terms of play style, people don't like seeing so many characters that share the same kinds of special moves and the like. Regardless of minor tweaks or a new move here and there, people are going to complain due to lack of variety in the cast.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That could be the case. However, I'd really want Roy only for the fact that his inclusion would mean we get 4 FE characters. Which is cool. I think I would like a bigger roster with characters in it as Wolf, Lucas, Toon Link and Roy than a smaller roster with more diversity. Having more characters is always better. Hence why Sakurai added so many actual clones in Melee.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
For those that have FE13, Roy's DLC has just been released. The DLC is $2.50. However, there is also a $4.00 DLC pack containing the entire "Champions of Yore" arc (which gets you Marth, Roy, and Micaiah).

Here is Roy's FE13 artwork:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Hmm, I'm betting that bundle's price will go up once Marth's Free DLC expires. Still can't complain about saving a dollar though. Will definitely download when my parents drop off my copy of FE13 tomorrow.

Looking at Kimihiko Fujisaka's version of Roy again, I'm definitely liking his original artwork a lot better. Not that it's bad, it just looks a little funny to me, though it's still better than some of the other artist interpretations of the other characters.
IS really should have just pay the original FE13 artist the extra money...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Hmm, I'm betting that bundle's price will go up once Marth's Free DLC expires. Still can't complain about saving a dollar though. Will definitely download when my parents drop off my copy of FE13 tomorrow.

Looking at Kimihiko Fujisaka's version of Roy again, I'm definitely liking his original artwork a lot better. Not that it's bad, it just looks a little funny to me, though it's still better than some of the other artist interpretations of the other characters.
IS really should have just pay the original FE13 artist the extra money...
The bundle will jump to $6 when Marth's DLC is no longer offered for free.

As to the design, the consensus seems to be that Roy's design was among the best of the FE13 re-designs. The only ones I have seen people criticize have been Micaiah, Eirika, and Ike.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
ROOOY! Here's a vid of Roy's DLC pack, Champions of Yore 2, for those who haven't seen it (Spoilers, I guess?). IGN just released the vid yesterday. Although this isn't the first vid about Roy's DLC I saw, I thought it was kinda funny with the Marth vs Roy fight going on (lets hope we can continue that in Smash 4).

And yes, he has a generic in game model. It's a shame, though I think it doesn't look too bad.

OmegaRS

Smash Apprentice
After playing with Roy in FE Awakening, I can see his Side Special be a flame wheel as he flips forward with his sword like he does as his critical attack in Awakening. Also his Counter could be Aegis. A shield that counters projectiles instead of physical attacks. I was thinking he could reflect the attacks back with added fire damage.

D

Deleted member

Counter will counterattack both projectiles and physical attacks.

D

Deleted member

If you've used the move at all, being hit by a projectile makes Marth/Roy/Ike trigger the counterattack, which deflects (note, not REFLECT. Reflect means they send it back; deflect means they simply make it fly away from them.) it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Well, its been a long time there has been a post in this topic.

Anyway, I have been wanting to get around to making a long post about Roy now that FE13 has been released internationally, but I have not had the time to do so.

However, there are few tidbits in regards to FE13 for Roy fans to smile about.

In the Nintendo Direct a few weeks ago, the head NOA's localization said in regards to the latest released DLC chapter that, "you will face off against legendary characters such as Marth, Roy, and Ike."

More recently, the "Red vs. Blue" DLC arc, in which the armies of Elibe led by Roy are fighting against the armies of Tellius led by Ike, got localized as "Smash Brethren", obviously trying to capitalize on the popularity that Roy and Ike have within Smash Bros.

I am curious whether the localization of Smash Brethren will make any allusions to Smash Bros.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Well, since this is Roy's first actual appearance in FE for the Western audience, it's not that weird they try to promote that. And while I really hope we can have a Red vs Blue Smash Brethren match in Smash 4, I don't think this localisation changes mean anything serious. NOA doesn't decide on Smash characters, Sakurai does.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Xiivi has given me ownership of the second post to this topic, so now hopefully this topic can become much more like an actual support topic. When I have the time, I will fill out the second post like it were an actual support topic. Movesets, information and backstory about Roy (and FE6 and FE in general), arguments to use against naysayers, arguments in support of his return, excellent artwork, and an assortment of links, are just some of things I have planned.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Xiivi has given me ownership of the second post to this topic, so now hopefully this topic can become much more like an actual support topic. When I have the time, I will fill out the second post like it were an actual support topic. Movesets, information and backstory about Roy (and FE6 and FE in general), arguments to use against naysayers, arguments in support of his return, excellent artwork, and an assortment of links, are just some of things I have planned.
Oh my gosh, thanks Chrono! I was losing motivation to post in this thread, because it's so barren all the time, but hopefully that can change. I'm so excited. This is awesome. Thanks again. ^.^

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I just realized I had the second post of this thread. Way to steal it Chrono. :p

Totally kidding, can't wait for an actual decent OP (sorta) for Roy. He's our boy after all. ;)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The joke is that Super Smash Bros. is not canon.

At least in the context of being a series of games set in an alternate reality where everyone is basically play things for Master Hand.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The joke is that Super Smash Bros. is not canon.

At least in the context of being a series of games set in an alternate reality where everyone is basically play things for Master Hand.
Ah. Didn't read the post before. Now it makes sense.

My bad. :p

D

Deleted member

Well, the extent of the joke was that Falcon Punch is not canon to the F-Zero series, so it wouldn't really matter if Roy's appearance in Awakening wasn't canon, Roy can still derive from it in Smash.

But that is my new image in regards to people that argue about canon in Smash.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
So tell me this, you guys are implying that Sakurai will implement the appearance of Roy from a game that he has nothing to do with its story of its settings? and he is only a DLC in that game (DLC are not required for the game completion), his armor is not even unique to him because that armor is the same armor design for the Mercenary class in Awakening. Or you'd rather Roy being represented from his native game where he is the Hero who saves the day in the end and where he has his own Armor?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So tell me this, you guys are implying that Sakurai will implement the appearance of Roy from a game that he has nothing to do with its story of its settings? and he is only a DLC in that game (DLC are not required for the game completion), his armor is not even unique to him because that armor is the same armor design for the Mercenary class in Awakening. Or you'd rather Roy being represented from his native game where he is the Hero who saves the day in the end and where he has his own Armor?
To tell the truth, I don't care from which game he takes his appearance from. All I want is for him to return as a playable character.

I think it's very likely that all future FE games will have DLC. So it makes sense for them to include Roy's redesign in Smash 4 for promotion purposes. Also, his redesign was well-received, so it's a win-win situation.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
To tell the truth, I don't care from which game he takes his appearance from. All I want is for him to return as a playable character.

I think it's very likely that all future FE games will have DLC. So it makes sense for them to include Roy's redesign in Smash 4 for promotion purposes. Also, his redesign was well-received, so it's a win-win situation.

This is your Roy, what he is wearing is nothing special, even me a guy who don't really care much for him being in SSB4 or not, I wouldn't agree on him being included on 2.50$ self instead of his 40$ self....

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Regarding the costumes, I think they could put both his Sword of Seals outfit (default) and his Awakening outfit (alternate). If they did it with Wario, by putting both classic and WarioWare outfits, why not do it with other characters?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
This is your Roy, what he is wearing is nothing special, even me a guy who don't really care much for him being in SSB4 or not, I wouldn't agree on him being included on 2.50$ self instead of his 40$ self....
You haven't seen Roy's redesign, it seems. It looks different from the Mercenary concept art which you posted above.

And lol, you think that the entire 40$ was for Roy alone? It was for the ENTIRE game - music, sprites, maps, story and programming. :laugh:

ChronoBound has posted Roy's Awakening artwork a few pages before. Or better, just search it on Google.

xXIke-SamaXx

Smash Lord
NNID
Azureflame92
You haven't seen Roy's redesign, it seems. It looks different from the Mercenary concept art which you posted above.

And lol, you think that the entire 40$ was for Roy alone? It was for the ENTIRE game - music, sprites, maps, story and programming. :laugh:

ChronoBound has posted Roy's Awakening artwork a few pages before. Or better, just search it on Google.
Wow, someone like me who is actually very knowledgeable on Fire Emblem, you imply that I didn't see the Roy re-design? FalKoopa I saw the Roy re-design before you saw it, I saw it the day of the announcement while watching the Nintendo Direct, it was announced alongside Leaf's DLC and NSMB. 2.....If you work your eyes a little bit I'm really sure you will find what you seem to miss, because it's obvious that Roy's redesign was based on the Mercenary....and BTW I have awakening and I already invest more than 300 hours on the game....and please next time don't assume things.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So perheps you didn't like Roy's redesign? Not a problem.

But I don't see why they shouldn't include it as an alt for Roy in Smash 4.

D

Deleted member

WELM

Smash Cadet
I love Roy as he is in Melee, with the cool breastplate and shoulderplates and his Sword of Seals. I'm not into the freaky new look which is similar to what they did to Fox and Falco in Brawl from Melee. They made them match the latest games they were in, but in so doing they made them less cool. Even the Wolf that for a brief moment appears in Melee is cooler than the Toon Wolf of Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom