• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Man, Roy is not taking his exclusion from Smash 4 well. Wolf seems to be doing alright.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Right, so the OP will be updated I guess tomorrow. I'm just waiting on a few things actually...

And I also wouldn't look too much into:4roy:'s chant. What I did is I played a few matches with Roy Koopa, with music and sound effects on low and voices on high (via options), and listened with headphones. I cannot really make out Roy Koopa's chant, however, to me it sounds like, "Roy, Roy, Roy". The sound quality isn't the best on the 3DS, so I'm waiting to hear the chant on the Wii U version. If you want to test it out though, handicap everyone at 100% since I think the player needs to be 100+% for crowd chants to happen and just roflstomp cpus.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Right, so the OP will be updated I guess tomorrow. I'm just waiting on a few things actually...

And I also wouldn't look too much into:4roy:'s chant. What I did is I played a few matches with Roy Koopa, with music and sound effects on low and voices on high (via options), and listened with headphones. I cannot really make out Roy Koopa's chant, however, to me it sounds like, "Roy, Roy, Roy". The sound quality isn't the best on the 3DS, so I'm waiting to hear the chant on the Wii U version. If you want to test it out though, handicap everyone at 100% since I think the player needs to be 100+% for crowd chants to happen and just roflstomp cpus.
When I heard it, I kinda felt a bit of relief, even though I thought I was hearing 'Go, go, Roy!' If it turned out that knockoff had our Boy Roy's chant, then...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1WjV5KnDZ0
Then I melt into butter. So if anything, "Roy's Our Boy" is still safe, for now.

Last edited:

Marthmario

Smash Lord
I just want my boy, I've made him my secondary in Melee and PM, and I damn well want him back.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
Man, Roy is not taking his exclusion from Smash 4 well. Wolf seems to be doing alright.

Not just a dog, but a duck as well. :c

As I said before, I hope greatly that Roy may return as DLC... Particularly if he is revamped to be less of a clone or not a clone at all... And dat Awakening appearance.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Aaaaand, TA-DA!

The op has been updated, though it's still under construction. Thread title should be renamed, do you peeps have any awesome ideas?

No, just a couple thosand fangirls. :awesome:
Can I be one of those fangirls? :awesome:

Seriously though, at the very least Marth's chant should be a ton of screaming fangirls haha.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Thread title should be renamed, do you peeps have any awesome ideas?
"Roy for Smash 4 (The Lord, not the Koopa)"
"Bring our Boy back home! - Roy for Smash 4!"
"The last Melee musketeer - Roy for Smash 4!"
"No Koopas allowed - The Roy Thread"
"Awkward Zombie's mascot - Roy for Smash 4!"

Just some brainstormed names.

ItsRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elibe-Guardian
3DS FC
3239-2802-5492
I do a lot of fighting for Roy on Gamefaqs. A lot of mindless bashing and hate towards him there, which mostly comes from western kiddies who sucked at his game on an emulator, or tools who haven't even played his game repeating the same lame argument that they picked up from them...

Glad to see more actual discussion and respect for the character here throughout this thread (aside from some things I read on the first page or two...). Goes without saying I really, really want Roy back. Melee main, loved his game and loved him in it (I also own the Japanese cartridge), and the character that got me into my favorite Nintendo (and contender for overall) franchise. Which, in a roundabout way, I suppose makes him my favorite Nintendo character, which I wouldn't hesitate to say.

I like Marth, but in terms of Smash gameplay, his toothpick sword just doesn't do it for me. I need more than Marth with Roy palette swap. And Lucina is no Roy. Mewtwo has actually reignited my hope that Roy can still come back. Possibly even in a Melee/Vet-themed pack with him? The fire still burns, here's to hoping.

Nice OP. I'd consider mentioning the recognition his game gets in Japan. It rates higher than Awakening in scores I've seen. Really is a great game, as an FE game and otherwise, and to the detractors I always ask, if Roy sucks so much (which he really doesn't, but I'm not going to get into that right now), and overall makes for such an unenjoyable, bad, "babysitting" experience, why is it still so popular, high-scoring, and well-received?

I digress. In any case...bottom line: Roy's my boy.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
@ SchAlternate SchAlternate and @ Croph Croph , I think the thread title "The Last Melee Musketeer" sounds neat, and the moveset you suggested sounded really neat, especially Peril Dance. That works really well with me. Also, I'm also think I'm a fan of the rushdown style, like Sol or Ragna the Bloodedge. I may not think of much when it comes to moveset with Roy other than maintaining a Melee style, but I am aware of a key gameplay factor for rushdown characters: they're good at racking up damage very quickly without letting the opponent escape out of potential combo options. Because of this, I'll try thinking of a reworked Roy moveset to feel more rushdown. If I have time, I'll try sketch some ideas out. One idea is a better air game to juggle opponents or keep them in check.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Oooh, nice ideas for the thread title. "The Last Melee Musketeer" sounds nice and makes sense. Since 2 people have suggested the name, I may go with it, unless anyone else has some ideas.

I do a lot of fighting for Roy on Gamefaqs. A lot of mindless bashing and hate towards him there, which mostly comes from western kiddies who sucked at his game on an emulator, or tools who haven't even played his game repeating the same lame argument that they picked up from them...

Glad to see more actual discussion and respect for the character here throughout this thread (aside from some things I read on the first page or two...). Goes without saying I really, really want Roy back. Melee main, loved his game and loved him in it (I also own the Japanese cartridge), and the character that got me into my favorite Nintendo (and contender for overall) franchise. Which, in a roundabout way, I suppose makes him my favorite Nintendo character, which I wouldn't hesitate to say.

I like Marth, but in terms of Smash gameplay, his toothpick sword just doesn't do it for me. I need more than Marth with Roy palette swap. And Lucina is no Roy. Mewtwo has actually reignited my hope that Roy can still come back. Possibly even in a Melee/Vet-themed pack with him? The fire still burns, here's to hoping.

Nice OP. I'd consider mentioning the recognition his game gets in Japan. It rates higher than Awakening in scores I've seen. Really is a great game, as an FE game and otherwise, and to the detractors I always ask, if Roy sucks so much (which he really doesn't, but I'm not going to get into that right now), and overall makes for such an unenjoyable, bad, "babysitting" experience, why is it still so popular, high-scoring, and well-received?

I digress. In any case...bottom line: Roy's my boy.
I usually never post on Gamefaqs, but I used to lurk. And the Roy bashing is pretty big there from what I've seen. You do run into Roy detractors here, however, that happens with any character. But I do think things are more tame here. You have my respect for what you're doing over at Gamefaqs (and anyone else for the matter)... sometimes I don't even want to witness the discussions that go on there. :(

Roy's probably one of my fave Nintendo characters as well. Heh, and when I saw his Awakening design my love for him skyrocketed. They really should use that design in another game

Thanks for the suggestion -- I'll discuss some of the recognition FE6 relieves in Japan. I have some sources like sales (iirc it's the 4th highest selling FE game in Japan...) and I may have game reviews/scores, though I will need to find them (could be saved on my other computer). I'd like to have some sources in the op too.

So for everyone who posted movesets/custom moves in the last few pages, hope you don't mind that I'm going to add them to the OP. Just tell me if you'd like yours taken down for whatever. And if you have any/if I missed you, feel free to post them.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I honestly think we would see Squirtle, Ivysaur, and/or a revamped Pokemon Trainer before him.
I think Snake would be higher priority for DLC than Roy. Mainly because of his large fanbase.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Jeez, what's next, Pichu being higher priority than Roy? :glare:
Nah, even Sakurai's cat has a higher priority than Roy.

jk, jk.

In all seriousness, we could spend days speculating about character priority and chances when it comes to DLC, and many people will have different opinions. I do think, however, that Roy's a decent choice for DLC overall, revamped or clone-ish (would be easier to implant anyway).

So, colour/costume ideas.

I was thinking Roy should have something similar to Lucina. Except Roy's colour swaps would be based on all of Roy's 6 potential wives: Lilina, Sophia, Shanna, Lalum, Cecilia, and Sue... and Wolt to finish things off. :awesome:

I mean, he is the pimp Lord after all, getting all the girls to himself.

:troll:

ItsRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elibe-Guardian
3DS FC
3239-2802-5492
Oooh, nice ideas for the thread title. "The Last Melee Musketeer" sounds nice and makes sense. Since 2 people have suggested the name, I may go with it, unless anyone else has some ideas.

I usually never post on Gamefaqs, but I used to lurk. And the Roy bashing is pretty big there from what I've seen. You do run into Roy detractors here, however, that happens with any character. But I do think things are more tame here. You have my respect for what you're doing over at Gamefaqs (and anyone else for the matter)... sometimes I don't even want to witness the discussions that go on there. :(

Roy's probably one of my fave Nintendo characters as well. Heh, and when I saw his Awakening design my love for him skyrocketed. They really should use that design in another game

Thanks for the suggestion -- I'll discuss some of the recognition FE6 relieves in Japan. I have some sources like sales (iirc it's the 4th highest selling FE game in Japan...) and I may have game reviews/scores, though I will need to find them (could be saved on my other computer). I'd like to have some sources in the op too.

So for everyone who posted movesets/custom moves in the last few pages, hope you don't mind that I'm going to add them to the OP. Just tell me if you'd like yours taken down for whatever. And if you have any/if I missed you, feel free to post them.
You have good taste..love the Awakening design as well. Should he make it in Smash, I think they should use 4 classic/lord and 4 redesign for his swaps/alts.

And as far as the suggestion.. my pleasure.

Fire Emblem: Binding Blade/SoS: http: //gba-mk2.com/srpg/fire.html

Also, Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword (FE6 prequel): http: //gba-mk2.com/srpg/fire2/index.html

For comparison, Fire Emblem: Awakening: http: //ndsmk2.net/3ds/title.php?title=233

^ Are what I like to reference. Just remove the spaces after the http:, it wouldn't let me post links due to not having 10 posts...odd rule

Anyway yeah; Gamefaqs sucks.

So, colour/costume ideas.

I was thinking Roy should have something similar to Lucina. Except Roy's colour swaps would be based on all of Roy's 6 potential wives: Lilina, Sophia, Shanna, Lalum, Cecilia, and Sue... and Wolt to finish things off. :awesome:
Lol...I like it. Might beat my idea :p

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Honestly, with Roy's outfits (2 of them) as Marth's alternate costumes, I have doubts that Roy will return, even though I want him to come back.

Adjustments that should be made: not that weak tipper hitbox. Better and more useful dair (melee dair please)

I feel that Roy would be easy to create since he's still technically a clone character. They might want to declone the up variation of the fourth DED Side B move and give him his Melee dair with a better spiking knockback. Also, stronger Blazer and Flare blade would be nice as well. Objectively, Roy would play similar to Lucina, except that he wants to hit closer.

His up throw should kill around or slightly earlier than Marth and his forward throw shouldn't do nearly as much knockback as Marth. Just sending the opponent to the ground like in Melee would lead to a lot of interesting variations in the metagame.

Lastly, Down tilt should still lead up to nair.

DoubleYooToo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3067-5211-9457
if they just made all the changes Project M made to him, he'd be perfect. I've been playing Binding Blade and I'm finding it a bit easy and very similar to Shadow Dragon but I do like it a lot and it's made me appreciate Roy more as a character. I would love to see him come back.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095

I mean, he is the pimp Lord after all, getting all the girls to himself.

Regardless, Roy's redesign is cool enough to be one of his alternate costumes or his new default costume if he returns, since Awakening was more recent and that it'd clearly differentiate the Boy from his imposter (Marth).
Anyways, here are my thoughts: Roy's first costume is his default Merc costume from Awakening, second costume is based on Sol Badguy from Guilty Gear (Another flame shooting swordsman - Red clothes, brown hair and white pants) third Merc!Roy is an obligatory red and black costume and his fourth costume could be in reference to another FE Lord of the GBA Era like Ephraim or Hector. His Lord costumes include his violet and white default, his 2nd alternate is based on Marth, (What goes around comes around) 3rd is based on Leif and the fourth is based on Zephiel. Or we could have Dark Roy like in my avatar. :p Clones of clones, the more the merrier!

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm happy for you all that Roy got into Smash

I didn't believe it myself

Unicorn

The Most Majestic
NNID
SenseiCrumb
Custom Movesets! I'll do mine too.
ROY THE BOY, YOUNG LION OF PHERAE, WIELDER OF THE SWORD OF SEALS
His sweetspot is in the center of his blade getting slightly weaker the farther it gets in either direction. So the hilt is just as weak as the tip. It's not the wet noodle of melee, but still noticeably weaker. He would be a semi-clone of Marth, with recognizable similarities, but still mainly a character of his own (a la Falco).

:GCB: Flare Blade: Awaken the power of the Sword of Seals!
Ignite your foes with a quick strike of flame, or purge an entire area of evil by charging up and unleashing a massive explosion. A classic move that defines Roy.

Courageous Blade: Stand strong in the face of your enemies!
Roy gains super armor during his attack animation, but will take recoil damage from from the attack as well.

Flare Hammer: Strike down your foes!
The attack is much weaker, both in knockback and damage potential, but gains a meteor hitbox at the bottom third of the blade and hilt (get it? Strike DOWN your foes? Cuz you're spiking them! Ha... ha... please don't hurt me)

:GCUR::GCB: Let the decloning begin.

Sol: Unleash the power of the sun! TM
Stab your enemy, dealing respectable damage (~15-20) and healing for half the amount done.

Lion's Claw: Become the predator.
The predator does not "suck" from the prey. He crushes them without a doubt. Forsake the healing element of Sol, changing it into a dangerous and versatile KO move that can be also be used in the air.

Slow Burn: They will know pain...
Thrust your sword into your opponent, twisting your blade and igniting them from the inside. This move operates as a command grab, and will deal damage while the opponent is being grabbed, and then afterwards for a short time due to them being on ph1r3.

:GCD::GCB: Rush: Revel in the glory of the charge.
Sprint towards the enemy with your shoulder, knocking them into their trip animation and dealing light damage. Moves you in close for a sweet spotted Forward Smash.

Counter: Strike when the moment is right.
These are a dime a dozen nowadays. Roy's is extremely powerful, but has a small window just like it always has been.

Inspire: BOKU WA MAKUNAI!!!!
Roy raises his sword and shouts one of his many beautiful lines. The enemies can't help but stop and watch as he shines radiantly, women everywhere swoon, men bow down their heads in awe. Even the lowliest of beasts stops crawling across the ground to recognize the might of the Lord Roy. If the sun had set, then it rises immediately, realizing that such a scene must be properly illuminated. The oceans lay silent, ceasing their battering of the shores, if only for a moment, to observe the greatness before them. Those who were not really feeling it, are now feeling it. This is the ultimate power.

(It's actually just a self buff that raises the power of his next two or three smash attacks)

:GCU::GCB: Blazer: Light the Way.
Roar with the fury of the Young Lion, then defy gravity's hold on you, launching yourself up with willpower and flame alone, dragging anyone foolish enough to get close along in the inferno. Personally I love this move, so I wouldn't change it at all.

Rocket Man Emblem Ignition: 3...2...1...
I've seen this move in other mock movesets for Roy and I really like the idea. Roy slashes beneath himself, causing an explosion that launches him upwards with some control. He does not go into helpless afterwards, so he retains some defensive ability.

Critical Hit: Not like Aether at all
This is the Mercenary/Hero Crit animation from the GBA games, which Ike's Aether attack is based off of, so aesthetically they are similar. Roy leaps upwards, does a somersault, then slams down. Roy's is waaaaaaaaay cooler though because he leaves a trail of fire behind him as he goes up, then comes down with the impact of a meteor...er... figuratively. The knockback would be upwards and horizontal.

NORMALS
I
'll just list the ones that would be changed.

Up smash: A broad slash above him that leaves a trail of fire with a hitbox of its own.
Down smash: Roy slams his sword straight into the ground, causing fire to spew out to both sides of him.
F tilt: A two hit attack, starting with a short ranged bash with the hilt of his sword, then a horizontal slash.
Nair: Gimme dat sexy PM nair.
Up Throw: Roy tosses the opponent up, then strikes them with his sword, causing high knockback. Kill throw at 140% on average fall speed characters.
Back Throw: Roy ignites his sword, then slashes his opponent, spinning in a circle and sending the enemy behind him. Sends at a low angle.

TL:DR- I liek smash broh. and I liek roy duh boi.

DougX

Smash Champion
My Super Secret Underwater Volcano Lair in Space
NNID
Luigirasendori
3DS FC
0877-2652-6033
My Costume Ideas:

Default - Roy's epic look from the FE: Awakening DLC, albeit with the proper Sword of Seals instead of some generic gray sword like in his artwork.
The other usual colored costumes would just be similar to his costumes from Melee. (Green, Red, Yellow, and Blue.)
New Costumes:
Black - Make's Roy's armor mainly black and gray colored. Cape could be green or some proper color.
Light Blue - Colors Roy like Marth's older design from Brawl/Melee. Reference to Marth having a costume based on Roy's old color scheme. Blue Hair is optional since they didn't give Marth red hair for his Roy costume.
Purple - Color's Roy's armor a black, white, and purple color.

Of course, these are just off the top of my head. I can even come up with new moves if you guys wanna hear my ideas for them. c:

Geno Boost

Smash Master

i really feel sad when i see this:(
:roypm: is now my 3rd most wanted charcter (he was number 4 before because of mewtwo)
i want my 2nd melee main back as DLC
if roy reuterned this is whats going to happen. :roypm::4roy:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
:4marth: Here's Marth.

:4myfriends: Here's Ike.

:4robinm::4robinf: Here's Robin.

:4lucina: Here's Lucina.

And here is ROY, OUR BOY!

Roy Smash 4 Stock Icon! Let me know if you guys think it matches the other stock icons, i want it to make it look as legit as possible!

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
I honestly expect some joke pictures with both Roys included in them, if our boy ever makes it back.
I'm happy for you all that Roy got into Smash

I didn't believe it myself
That's cruel and you should feel bad. You almost made me cry ):

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071

Roy Smash 4 Stock Icon! Let me know if you guys think it matches the other stock icons, i want it to make it look as legit as possible!
Outline too dark, shouldn't be much of one if any. But it looks good. Don't think it should be tilted that much either. Nothing about the head itself is bad though.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561

Great icon. It definitely fits in with the other SSB4 stock icons.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Definitely call me a supporter of Roy for DLC. I always preferred him over Marth in Melee even if he was outclassed by him in many ways. And I really like him in Project M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom