• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Also, is it me, or do almost every Melee Roy main happen to be a 64 Yoshi main as well?
That, or Links maybe? Lol, depends, but yeah I think it's kinda mixed.

Hrm, aside from Smash 3DS, I only play Project M (and sometimes Melee for practice), but I guess I keep Yoshi and Lucas as my mains for their respective games just to let people know. =P

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I always wonder why we give people who find that they have no better use of their time than to **** on what other people like the time of day. They're clearly just out to start something for their own satisfaction.

It's one thing when you're providing valid evidence of why a clone wouldn't return, but there are people who just go "Roy was bad lol" and then try to act like they think they matter.

A character is a character. If we expand the roster, nobody's hurt. We can only do good with bringing back old faves, so just disregard mouthy ****posters.
Yeah, totally agree.

And it's not really Roy's fault that he isn't the best Lord anyway. I think he's a decent character story wise (though a lot of his accomplishments are kinda wtf power HAAX lol), which is one of the most important things to me, and I do think he has awesome gameplay potential. People underrate the SoS a lot... Well, I don't let a character's gameplay performance (as in, whether they're OP or have poor stats) affect my judgment on a character, particularly when it comes to Smash. Smash is non-canon anyway. Just take a look at Melee Mewtwo...

Honestly, there's so many weak arguments people spew out, and after all these years I'm sure we all know how to handle them. It's the misconceptions and mindless bashing that gets to me, but again I just try to educate them then ignore the jerks (this applies to any character too).

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I didn't really have what I'd call a main back in the N64 days. If anything, I was too young to care about my favourite character and enjoyed playing as all of them. All-rounder, but kept spamming Ness's PK Thunder.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
That, or Links maybe? Lol, depends, but yeah I think it's kinda mixed.

Hrm, aside from Smash 3DS, I only play Project M (and sometimes Melee for practice), but I guess I keep Yoshi and Lucas as my mains for their respective games just to let people know. =P
I'm a Roy main and I've almost never touched 64 Yoshi.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Aww yeeeah

The list is growing! Let's see if we could continue to make teh ph1r3 grow.

Oh, I was searching through my old files, and I remember starting to do some Roy recolours for practice and fun, though it was like before we knew anything about Smash 4 haha. I'll post them for the heck of it, though idk if I should include them in the OP. I ought to make more...

Lol @ rainbow Roy. Dunno what was the inspiration for that... but all FE Lords should have blue hair! =P

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Aww yeeeah

Oh, I was searching through my old files, and I remember starting to do some Roy recolours for practice and fun, though it was like before we knew anything about Smash 4 haha. I'll post them for the heck of it, though idk if I should include them in the OP. I ought to make more...

Lol @ rainbow Roy. Dunno what was the inspiration for that... but all FE Lords should have blue hair! =P
Epic costumes. You should add them in the OP.

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Aww yeeeah

Love the 2nd Roy colour. It's definitely my idea of Roy Badguy. :p The 3rd colour reminds me of Ephraim with that hair, and the Purple colour looks great too!

And one thing I'd like everyone to consider is this: In Melee: Both Marth and Roy's Neutral Specials were powerful forward slashes. Today, Marth and Lucina's Neutral Special is what one could consider an elegant jab, (Though Lucina, Wii Fit Trainer might need to help you out on your posture so you don't fall over:4wiifit:) while Ike's is stabbing the ground causing a plume of fire to rise up. Roy's, on the other hand, if they brought him back, would probably retain his Flare Blade from Melee, which is now a unique move + animation of its own now, since the neutral specials are a bit more varied.

Last edited:

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Love the 2nd Roy colour. It's definitely my idea of Roy Badguy. :p The 3rd colour reminds me of Ephraim with that hair, and the Purple colour looks great too!

And one thing I'd like everyone to consider is this: In Melee: Both Marth and Roy's Neutral Specials were powerful forward slashes. Today, Marth and Lucina's Neutral Special is what one could consider an elegant jab, (Though Lucina, Wii Fit Trainer might need to help you out on your posture so you don't fall over:4wiifit:) while Ike's is stabbing the ground causing a plume of fire to rise up. Roy's, on the other hand, if they brought him back, would probably retain his Flare Blade from Melee, which is now a unique move + animation of its own now, since the neutral specials are a bit more varied.
I was just thinking about that.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Here's what I think. With two of the well-known Melee veterans back after 13 years, Dr. Mario and Mewtwo:drmario::mewtwomelee::4drmario::mewtwopm:, there's only 3 other choices you could make for a Melee vet DLC, those are Young Link:younglinkmelee:, Pichu:pichumelee: and the Boy Roy.:roymelee:

Now, here's where it gets interesting: Which one would cut it as DLC? Let's see some arguments for and against these last possible Melee DLC candidates. They're lengthy, so I put them in spoilers.

:younglinkmelee:Young Link
Young Link is very unlikely. At the time, Young Link had Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask going for him, and he was an easily made clone. We know that he was cut from Brawl and Toon Link is filling in the space of a smaller and faster Link. There's also the issue of continuity and clone redundancy. "Hang on, why are there three Links?" As part of the Legend of Zelda franchise, it's a theme that the Spirit of the Goddess's Hero is always reincarnated as Link, and that there are so many incarnations of Link. In Smash Bros, we have the Adult Link:link64::linkmelee::link2::4link:, based on Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword - the Link of Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, Toon Link:toonlink::4tlink:. Toon Link is from another timeline, so the continuity issue can be resolved. Young Link, however, is the same Link from Ocarina of Time, with the difference being seven years between each other. While Young Link did go on his own adventure in Majora's Mask, it's still a fact that Young Link and Adult Link are the same person. I doubt we can leave it to Alfonzo to solve this continuity error. I think it's very unlikely we'll see Young Link again as DLC, not unless we finally hear word of Majora's Mask 3D/HD.

:pichumelee:Pichu
The little shocker, commonly regarded as the worst character in Smash Bros, mainly due to the fact that it always hurts itself. It's quite unlikely they'd bring back Pichu after Mewtwo. Then again, Pichu represented Generation II of Pokémon, Gold, Silver and Crystal, with HeartGold and SoulSilver also seeing the occasional Pichu. Regardless, Pichu still sees a bit of love every now and then, with Spiky-Eared Pichu. Regardless, there's no denying that it was outright cut, seeing only two trophy cameos (Love the 3DS trophy render, though. :)) Sadly, Pichu coming back is unlikely, given that it wasn't that well received by many Smashers, but it still has its fans. The way to salvage Pichu back into Smash Bros through DLC is by removing it's self-damage gimmick, and strengthen it enough.

And now - the moment you've been waiting for: THE BOY ROY!!!:roymelee::roypm:
"A new foe appears!!" The sound of the challenger approaching siren in Melee sends chills down anyone's spine. Their shadow hidden in mystery. A man cloaked in navy blue, gentle blade in hand, awaiting those at the Fountain of Dreams - you may call him Marth.:marthmelee: Seeing the player's worth, Marth pledged his allegiance to the fighter in Classic and Adventure Mode. The siren plays once more, and a boy cloaked in red and fire waited at Hyrule Temple. With the crowd shouting his cry, "Roy's our Boy!", the swordsman of flames joined the battle, adding his flair to the gentle swordplay Marth wielded. Yet the blade he wielded wasn't worthy of such gentle tactics, nor was his real journey. It wasn't until 2002 when The Boy Roy embarked on his real journey, in the First portable Fire Emblem game seeking to save the world from Zelgius. While Fūin no Tsurugi never saw the light of day in the west, the impact Marth and Roy left on gamers introduced Fire Emblem, beginning with Fire Emblem 7: Rekka no Ken. (Coincidence that FE 7 and FFVII stole Western gamers attention? Now, where's my Fire Emblem VS DIssidia...?) In the finale, Eliwood would raise a young boy named Roy into the man that fought with the cheer: "Roy's our Boy!"

Come 2006, Super Smash Bros Brawl was announced, and in 2007, a new challenger came from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance: A man who would go on to fight for his friends under the title of The Radiant Hero: Ike. :ike: Brandishing the golden blade Ragnell, Ike fought valiantly alongside Marth and Meta Knight against the ruler of Subspace. Yet the Boy Roy was gone. Many had thrown in the towel, seeing that it was over for Roy, but not before a revelation of what some call The Forbidden Seven, with Roy's name alongside his fellow Melee allies Mewtwo and Dr. Mario, and a new face: Dixie Kong. Only Dixie was the mentioned cut, but there's no denying that they were planned.

Some people weren't happy with Brawl, seeing only perfection in Melee. To this, a clone engine was born, and Roy and Mewtwo returned in a cruel battlefield, home to competition and glory only. A modded battlefield known infamously as Project M. :roypm::mewtwopm:

Come 2012, the news of a new Super Smash Bros began to circulate. Many thought this would be the time we would see an answer to the fates of the Big Three, Ridley, Mewtwo and King K. Rool. In this year, a new Fire Emblem was born, with the Boy Roy returning as DLC.
Awakening is still regarded today as amazing, and many thought it was obvious we'd see a new Fire Emblem hero in Smash Bros, one being a hero by the name of Chrom, descendant of Marth, Lucina, the daughter of Chrom from a ruined future, and Robin, the tactician who holds the lives of Shepherds in his hands to save the world from destruction.

The first images were shown at E3, and my thoughts still kept onto the cheers of "Roy's our Boy", yet amazed with the newcomers, the psychotic Villager,:4villager: the all but forgotten hero Mega Man :4megaman: and the most obscure of all, the Wii Fit Trainer.:4wiifit:Come November, Marth had been confirmed to return again in Super Smash Bros:4marth:, but by then, hope for the Boy Roy began to dwindle like a dying fire. The Radiant Hero had returned again:4myfriends:, and the curtains slowly fell down on the stage for the Boy Roy as Robin:4robinm: and Lucina:4lucina: were confirmed, with Lucina confirmed to be a clone of Marth, just like a familiar hero of legend.

The flames began to die when the ESRB leak showed only one of Roy's trusted allies Dr. Mario was confirmed to return, yet there was no sign of Mewtwo. Just by sheer coincidence, Roy faced a new opposition, in the form of Roy Koopa,:4roy: (Currently writing a fan-fic about Roy VS Roy) but the fires that supported Roy were put out when Marth was seen in violet garb. We thought it was over.

It wasn't until now that our fires have been re-ignited, thanks to Roy's ally Mewtwo confirmed as DLC. If you ask me, the way to bring back the best of the Melee Clone Trio is that our Boy Roy comes back as DLC, however unlikely that situation be.

TL;DR, Roy has a few good qualities that can justify his return:
+ A veteran character from Melee that is considered popular by his fans.
+ A recent design can be used to change him from being a full-clone to semi or quasi-clone.
+ Could be a good choice should they decide to bring back another cut Melee veteran.
(Also throwing these in: His game was the first portable Fire Emblem. Marth and Roy also established the popularity of FE in the west.)

His counters, however:
- Does Fire Emblem really need 5 characters? Is it overrepresentation? Then again, what is overrepresentation?
- Commonly regarded by others as a character in both Smash Bros and Fire Emblem as one that leaves very little impact on the players.
- Would he be a clone again? "We don't need two Marth Clones!"
- Marth's violet costume, which has turned him into my punching bag. (Sorry Marth.)
- Roy Koopa. Wouldn't it get confusing having two Roys in the same game?

Any thoughts? Also, please suggest move sets for a new Merc!Roy. You can use Project M, Melee or anything else you can think of. Once again, it's nice to see this thread back.
I think it is fine for FE to have 5 reps. They could maybe make the announcer say "Roy Koopa". Roy has a lot potential to be unique so he wouldn't share the same moves as Marth & Lucina.

EDIT: I don't think Marth's violet costume means anything. If that disconfirmed Roy, then why is Wario in the roster?

"- Commonly regarded by others as a character in both Smash Bros and Fire Emblem as one that leaves very little impact on the players."

....Eh, you kinda got me there.

Last edited:

Hellrazor

Wants to Watch the World Burn
NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
I think it is fine for FE to have 5 reps. They could maybe make the announcer say "Roy Koopa". Roy has a lot potential to be unique so he wouldn't share the same moves as Marth & Lucina.
I doubt they'll change the koopaling's files at all. I think it's just way more likely for them to record and use "Lord Roy" if they bring Our Boy back. As for number of reps, the roster and representation was never balanced to begin with.

Last edited:

NotLightningRunner

Smash Apprentice
Aww yeeeah

I actually wouldn't mind that Purple one or Red one in PM

ItsRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elibe-Guardian
3DS FC
3239-2802-5492
Definitely tack me on to that list

Hell, I'd go on there a dozen times if I could

Marthmario

Smash Lord
Our boy... The Ph1re in my heart shall burn until I see Roy in glorious HD!!!

Also, how many cut characters in total (Melee and Brawl) are not confirmed for Smash 4?

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
Our boy... The Ph1re in my heart shall burn until I see Roy in glorious HD!!!

Also, how many cut characters in total (Melee and Brawl) are not confirmed for Smash 4?
Let's see... From Melee, we've only got Roy, Young Link and Pichu. 3 (Used to be four with Mewtwo presumed dead and buried, but nope.) From Brawl, we have Ice Climbers, Wolf, Lucas, Squirtle and Ivysaur, and Snake. (5)

Last edited:

Cheesedork

Smash Apprentice
I'm calling it, tomorrow's Direct will have news on SMExFE and then Roy will be announced to come out alongside Mewtwo.

Not actually calling it. Just a shot in the dark. I miss my boy, Roy.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Lol, every time there's a direct I always pray for SMT x FE news... I have no idea if that game's gonna be shown. I heard the direct's set to focus on games/stuff coming out at the end of the year, and future stuff in 2015... so who knows... If SMT x FE is going to be shown, we may see Roy appear in the game. :awesome:

View attachment 29007
View attachment 29008
So I attempted to mimic Neorice's artstyle and made a custom Roy sprite.

I dunno.
I really love the pixel art! May I put the Roy pics in the OP?

Last edited:

wildvine47

Smash Ace
Yeah sign me up for this! Roy and Mewtwo were always a package deal together in my mind, and we've got one down, so now we need the other.

Roy our Boy for DLC!

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
Something about Mewtwo and Roy being the unfinished duo in Brawl's files just makes me giddy every time I see Mewtwo being mentioned, since it was those two that Nintendo planned to bring back. Just hoping it isn't Mewtwo alone this time.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
Something about Mewtwo and Roy being the unfinished duo in Brawl's files just makes me giddy every time I see Mewtwo being mentioned, since it was those two that Nintendo planned to bring back. Just hoping it isn't Mewtwo alone this time.
Same.

ItsRy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Elibe-Guardian
3DS FC
3239-2802-5492
Same here. There are plenty of factors that spark some hope.

I also find it interesting/somewhat promising that his moveset and properties still remain preserved. Could have just given some or all of it to Lucina and called it a day. If they never plan on doing anything with him again, why not? Would satisfy "more relevance" and bringing over a familiar moveset for the fans at the same time

I've seen people say they don't care about Roy, just his moveset and/or playstyle lol...

EDIT: Also to comment on an earlier discussion, I've never played Yoshi in 64 or any smash game, and hate him with a passion (dunno why, never liked the thing), so yeah, nah.

Last edited:

Marthmario

Smash Lord
You're hope makes the Ph1re in my heart burn brighter... I want our boy... so all the Marth clones can be united in a single Smash.

Also, we have 8 cut reps able to be made DLC, let's see:

• Snake: Possible, but we are unsure of how Nintendo and Konami's relationship
  • Pokemon Trainer: Dead and Gone
  • Pichu: Unlikely, Not many fans
  • Wolf: HIGHLY REQUESTED
  • Lucas: HIGHLY REQUESTED
  • Young Link: Toon Link has already replaced him.
  • Ice Climbers: Impossible due to 3DS limitations
  • Roy: Requested by some, not all
So, which of these would come back?

Last edited:

Hellrazor

NNID
jkjk237
3DS FC
4596-9639-1071
You're hope makes the Ph1re in my heart burn brighter... I want our boy... so all the Marth clones can be united in a single Smash.

The absence of Wolf and Lucas is baffling. Why Nintendo is still cutting characters is beyond comprehension. Roy is really popular in Japan with less of a following elsewhere, so you'd think Sakurai had heard the clamor. Snake could go anywhere.

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Add me to the support list! Roy is the only thing I want most since Brawl cut him!

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Add me to the supporters list.
I support all veterans.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561

I'm starting to lose hope for Lucas. Mainly because Sakurai said that if a character has no future, they'll be removed. Pichu, Young Link, Ice Climbers & Pokémon Trainer are very unlikely. I kinda doubt Snake too. Wolf is very likely. Roy I think has some chance, but not a huge one.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Same here. There are plenty of factors that spark some hope.

I also find it interesting/somewhat promising that his moveset and properties still remain preserved. Could have just given some or all of it to Lucina and called it a day. If they never plan on doing anything with him again, why not? Would satisfy "more relevance" and bringing over a familiar moveset for the fans at the same time

I've seen people say they don't care about Roy, just his moveset and/or playstyle lol..
I've seen some people that are genuinely interested in a character having a reverse Marth tipper. Tbh, I'd much rather have Sakurai come up with a new mechanic for Roy, though if they're going to keep Roy's tipper, I'm going to remain skeptical on how they implant it. They're going to have to up the damage input on some moves, especially the sweetspots, and make Roy hit HARD. That way there's a bigger feel of satisfaction when you do actually get close to the opponent and **** in their face lol.

Project M Roy's a good start to look for changes, and I do think some standard moves should be changed to complement his playstyle more.

And omg I just noticed
Inspire: BOKU WA MAKUNAI!!!!
Roy raises his sword and shouts one of his many beautiful lines. The enemies can't help but stop and watch as he shines radiantly, women everywhere swoon, men bow down their heads in awe. Even the lowliest of beasts stops crawling across the ground to recognize the might of the Lord Roy. If the sun had set, then it rises immediately, realizing that such a scene must be properly illuminated. The oceans lay silent, ceasing their battering of the shores, if only for a moment, to observe the greatness before them. Those who were not really feeling it, are now feeling it. This is the ultimate power.

(It's actually just a self buff that raises the power of his next two or three smash attacks)
I can't stop laughing. :rotfl:

Oh Roy, you magnificent boy, you. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom