• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lycia Alliance: Roy Legacy Support Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Not to detract from the Roy support, but can I just mention how happy I am that we still have Ike? I mean, I would have been so sad had he been cut in this game. He is literally the greatest lord in all of Fire Emblem, and I would have considered not even buying Smash 4 if he had been cut. Now, I just want Roy, and the Fire Emblem portion of the roster will be perfect.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Ike is good. I used him a lot in Brawl and I never considered him as a replacement for Roy.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think the timing is irrelevant IMO. Roy being in the sound files along with Ryu must mean that he was being worked on beforehand like around February or March. Whether he's still a clone or not won't be effected by the timing of his reveal.
Hmm, I guess so - wonder how that'd pertain to Lucas being included and when the development started on him.

Not to detract from the Roy support, but can I just mention how happy I am that we still have Ike? I mean, I would have been so sad had he been cut in this game. He is literally the greatest lord in all of Fire Emblem, and I would have considered not even buying Smash 4 if he had been cut. Now, I just want Roy, and the Fire Emblem portion of the roster will be perfect.
*War flashbacks to people wanting Chrom to replace Ike because he's tuh relevant bluehaired swordsman*

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Hmm, I guess so - wonder how that'd pertain to Lucas being included and when the development started on him.
I imagined the development time of pre-planned DLC to be something like this...

Mewtwo: Mid-November to Early-January
Lucas: Early-January to Mid-February
Ryu: Mid-February to Early-April
Roy: Early-April to Mid-May
Wolf: Mid-May to Mid-June

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979

Here is some sets of Cosmo a Melee Roy player which is extraordinarily rare nowadays so it's good to see even some Melee players support the the character.

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
So I thought now about the potential reveal and I had some concerning thoughts: I'm afraid that if Roy would be to revealed in this Direct, it'd be because he was actually made into a quick Melee-based clone, since he'd be revealed so quick after Lucas.
Well, its not like if he get revealed at the E3 he will be decloned for sure. After all, beetwen the direct and the E3 there are only 3 weeks, its not like that make any difference! =D

Chris_Skorniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
hyperknux333
3DS FC
5301-0082-9828

Here is some sets of Cosmo a Melee Roy player which is extraordinarily rare nowadays so it's good to see even some Melee players support the the character.
I play Roy in Melee and im one of if not the only Real main here in AZ. im trying to become the best Roy in both games but more so PM since its better than melee imo

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Well, its not like if he get revealed at the E3 he will be decloned for sure. After all, beetwen the direct and the E3 there are only 3 weeks, its not like that make any difference! =D
More like 2 weeks actually.

Troykv

Smash Master
Looks like Roy is coming soon... I'm excited about how he will arrived to Smash 4... moveset, voice, Smash Final... Everything that can change or put in Roy.

Well... That makes me wonder ... After Roy with the "Fighter Ballot"... they will put another character from Fire Emblem? How likely is this to happen? And if possible ... What are considered possible candidates?

Last edited:

Great fundamentals and his Roy has a lot of potential. He seems to know the Marth MU pretty well. That foundation can definitely be built on, though, and he can certainly improve on his punish game and a large portion of his movement, he has some blindspots and weaknesses that really need to be ironed out. He does a lot of absolutely important things right that almost no Roys out there get, like fair/uair juggle/bair use, fair to fsmash, beating cc'ing early on with DED and grabs, recovery, Roy's tech chases, Roy's grab while the other character is landing, lightshield on platforms to be safe and near the edge vs. Marth for the Marthslayer, edgeguarding Marth, and he's proving some of my theories to be correct from more than one standpoint.

That being said, the Marth picked some of the absolute worst options (especially with DI) in the Roy MU and could have played around the Roy's blindspots and weaknesses better, especially if he did more with some of his punishes and repeated his more successful punishes.

Looks like Roy is coming soon... I'm excited about how he will arrived to Smash 4... moveset, voice, Smash Final... Everything that can change or put in Roy.

Well... That makes me wonder ... After Roy with the "Fighter Ballot"... they will put another character from Fire Emblem? How likely is this to happen? And if possible ... What are considered possible candidates?
It seems like Lyndis, Micaiah, Tiki, and Anna are the most supported characters besides Roy and the only likely picks. I'd say Chrom but we already have two Awakening characters and he was given a disconfirmation interview, but Sakurai says a lot of stuff and he could be made unique if they really wanted to make him DLC. Plus he is requested a ton and there was a huge following for him pre-release, similar to Roy dropping from just below Mewtwo to top 5 in Japan. Some people say Hector and Ephraim but they're very overrated characters by a small niche of western fans, they aren't very popular in Japan, they have backseat roles to Eliwood, Lyndis, and Eirika who aren't playable in Smash, and I've never seen organized Smash support posts or threads for them anywhere, just people saying "why aren't they in smash when we have too many swordsmen?" or "why want Roy when you could want one of these unique guys?" or such. I've seen some Black Knight and Zephiel support, but it's very little and I think there's much better and more significant villain candidates for the roster like K. Rool and Wolf, and I'm not too keen on Fire Emblem villains joining Smash. I've seen Joshua, but no, just no, he isn't a very significant character, he's from a game I never saw as important or a large impact to Fire Emblem, and I'd rather have Lyndis use some of whatever a myrmidon-esque character would have. Just my two cents.

Keep in mind this does not reflect who I would pick for Smash, just likely candidates:

1: Micaiah (light magic is heavily unexplored and could make an entirely unique movest, but I'm not sure how popular or supported she actually is)
2: Tiki (not a lord, manakate stuff may impose 3DS hardware issues and limit ideas and creativity for her)
3: Lyndis (already has an assist trophy)
4: Anna (never has been a unique fighter even in Fire Emblem, she just takes a generic class when she finally does fight in Awakening, Robin already uses a Levin Sword, I don't see why people really want/like her or see her as a significant character besides appearing in a lot of Fire Emblems as a merchant which doesn't mean much. At least I did my research on Roy to justify why people would want him and why he's a great character. I don't recall any quotes or necessarily anything important from Anna that made her stand out much to me as a character, but she does have a unique personality)
5: Someone from Jugdral (IS hates Jugdral as evidenced by Sigurd being left out for FE:A DLC and a complete abscence of Jugdral characters in the SMT x FE trailer) or Chrom (disconfirmed and we have two Awakening reps but he has been and is still widely requested)
Never happening: Ephraim, Hector, Joshua from The Sacred Stones which I've seen asked about a few times.

My wants are Eliwood, Leif, and Levin, but I have no hope in them happening and I don't think they'd be good or smart picks for Smash. I do however support the idea of Micaiah, Tiki, and Lyndis, but they have a fair amount of obstacles at first glance and I'm too focused on Roy to think much more about them. No matter who gets in as Fire Emblem DLC, though, I'll be hyped for them.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
Great fundamentals and his Roy has a lot of potential. He seems to know the Marth MU pretty well. That foundation can definitely be built on, though, and he can certainly improve on his punish game and a large portion of his movement, he has some blindspots and weaknesses that really need to be ironed out. He does a lot of absolutely important things right that almost no Roys out there get, like fair/uair juggle/bair use, fair to fsmash, beating cc'ing early on with DED and grabs, recovery, Roy's tech chases, Roy's grab while the other character is landing, lightshield on platforms to be safe and near the edge vs. Marth for the Marthslayer, edgeguarding Marth, and he's proving some of my theories to be correct from more than one standpoint.

That being said, the Marth picked some of the absolute worst options (especially with DI) in the Roy MU and could have played around the Roy's blindspots and weaknesses better, especially if he did more with some of his punishes and repeated his more successful punishes.

It seems like Lyndis, Micaiah, Tiki, and Anna are the most supported characters besides Roy and the only likely picks. I'd say Chrom but we already have two Awakening characters and he was given a disconfirmation interview, but Sakurai says a lot of stuff and he could be made unique if they really wanted to make him DLC. Plus he is requested a ton and there was a huge following for him pre-release, similar to Roy dropping from just below Mewtwo to top 5 in Japan. Some people say Hector and Ephraim but they're very overrated characters by a small niche of western fans, they aren't very popular in Japan, they have backseat roles to Eliwood, Lyndis, and Eirika who aren't playable in Smash, and I've never seen organized Smash support posts or threads for them anywhere, just people saying "why aren't they in smash when we have too many swordsmen?" or "why want Roy when you could want one of these unique guys?" or such. I've seen some Black Knight and Zephiel support, but it's very little and I think there's much better and more significant villain candidates for the roster like K. Rool and Wolf, and I'm not too keen on Fire Emblem villains joining Smash. I've seen Joshua, but no, just no, he isn't a very significant character, he's from a game I never saw as important or a large impact to Fire Emblem, and I'd rather have Lyndis use some of whatever a myrmidon-esque character would have. Just my two cents.

Keep in mind this does not reflect who I would pick for Smash, just likely candidates:

1: Micaiah (light magic is heavily unexplored and could make an entirely unique movest, but I'm not sure how popular or supported she actually is)
2: Tiki (not a lord, manakate stuff may impose 3DS hardware issues and limit ideas and creativity for her)
3: Lyndis (already has an assist trophy)
4: Anna (never has been a unique fighter even in Fire Emblem, she just takes a generic class when she finally does fight in Awakening, Robin already uses a Levin Sword, I don't see why people really want/like her or see her as a significant character besides appearing in a lot of Fire Emblems as a merchant which doesn't mean much. At least I did my research on Roy to justify why people would want him and why he's a great character. I don't recall any quotes or necessarily anything important from Anna that made her stand out much to me as a character, but she does have a unique personality)
5: Someone from Jugdral (IS hates Jugdral as evidenced by Sigurd being left out for FE:A DLC and a complete abscence of Jugdral characters in the SMT x FE trailer) or Chrom (disconfirmed and we have two Awakening reps but he has been and is still widely requested)
Never happening: Ephraim, Hector, Joshua from The Sacred Stones which I've seen asked about a few times.

My wants are Eliwood, Leif, and Levin, but I have no hope in them happening and I don't think they'd be good or smart picks for Smash. I do however support the idea of Micaiah, Tiki, and Lyndis, but they have a fair amount of obstacles at first glance and I'm too focused on Roy to think much more about them. No matter who gets in as Fire Emblem DLC, though, I'll be hyped for them.
Micaiah is my favorite choice, but I too would love to see Tiki or Lyndis as playable characters... Anna is the "Cameo"... is her function... I don't see anything about her personally xD

PD: IS hates Jugdral? I don't know, but Sigurd isn't the only character without DLC Art (Random note: The character without Art have canon childrens). Also... I need to see the SMTxFE original trailer... I don't remember if it appears the other Japan-Only Lords in the Trailer (Alm and Celica), if its as I say... looks like that the trailer only japan "international characters" (+ Lilina... and I almost sure that she appear as a sticker in Brawl) xD

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I doubt were getting any other FE character after Roy.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
If theirs not going to be an International version of the Direct, is their at least going to be an English subbed version of the direct?

I don't think more FE is going to happen after Roy. Even though I'd like that.

Even if they go with a whopping 10 fighters past Lucas to bring the roster to 60 plus miis, I don't see more FE besides Roy being a good idea unless they want to go even higher.

Troykv

Smash Master

Even if they go with a whopping 10 fighters past Lucas to bring the roster to 60 plus miis, I don't see more FE besides Roy being a good idea unless they want to go even higher.
How knows? Well...

10 fighters that are HIGH-PRIORITY... Who they are?

K. Rool is the "he must be a shoo-in" case...

Say others please... I want to know about the possibilities o.o

Last edited:
How knows? Well...

I've been hoping for a while that if they went with 10 more characters to bump it up to 60, it'd be:

Vets: Roy, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur
Newcomers: Isaac (Golden Sun), K. Rool (DK), Ryu (Street Fighter), Andy (Advance Wars)

They're all popular both overseas and in Japan. The vets are either entirely unique moveset characters, highly requested semi-clones at worst that balance representation of series, our boy who could easily be a Doc-level semi-clone just by being ported and has even more potential who already deserved it the moment he was right behind Mewtwo in Japanese requests, or they open the door to certain returning DLC stages like Shadow Moses and Icicle Mountain. The newcomers each bring in a new series sans K. Rool who fixes the two DK character issue many have complained about for a long time, K. Rool has been wanted since pre-2001 and I honestly never saw why he couldn't get it for the longest time, all of them are highly requested, have very unique series and things to draw on for moves, and I think it's among the easiest DLC lineups for a universal audience to adapt to and enjoy.

I know they some have obstacles, seem unlikely, or may be silly, but I think it's a solid lineup from many angles that will make pretty much all Smash fans happy in hindsight.

Troykv

Smash Master
I've been hoping for a while that if they went with 10 more characters to bump it up to 60, it'd be:

Vets: Roy, Ice Climbers, Wolf, Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur
Newcomers: Isaac (Golden Sun), K. Rool (DK), Ryu (Street Fighter), Andy (Advance Wars)

They're all popular both overseas and in Japan. The vets are either entirely unique moveset characters, highly requested semi-clones at worst that balance representation of series, our boy who could easily be a Doc-level semi-clone just by being ported and has even more potential who already deserved it the moment he was right behind Mewtwo in Japanese requests, or they open the door to certain returning DLC stages like Shadow Moses and Icicle Mountain. The newcomers each bring in a new series sans K. Rool who fixes the two DK character issue many have complained about for a long time, K. Rool has been wanted since pre-2001 and I honestly never saw why he couldn't get it for the longest time, all of them are highly requested, have very unique series and things to draw on for moves, and I think it's among the easiest DLC lineups for a universal audience to adapt to and enjoy.

I know they some have obstacles, seem unlikely, or may be silly, but I think it's a solid lineup from many angles that will make pretty much all Smash fans happy in hindsight.
Okay, thanks for the information :3

Now only left to still waiting about this... See if it some surprise appears.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Do you like the idea of have other FE character or don't?
I'm indifferent but seeing as how the fanbase is livid with the idea of 5 FE reps already, I doubt were going to see another FE rep really. FE getting DLC period was probably not going to happen but seeing as Roy is massively popular, it made sense that he would be an exception.

Personally, this is how I see DLC playing out...

Veterans

Mewtwo, Lucas, Roy, Wolf, Ice Climbers, and Snake

Newcomers

Ryu, K. Rool, and Isaac

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
How knows? Well...

Well, we can't really know for sure, but we could make some educated guesses. I think Wolf has a good shot as well as K. Rool. Maybe another vet or two (since they're a safe bet for profit), like ICs if they could fix the technical issues. Maybe some unexpected characters? Who knows. Post-ballot characters are going to be interesting depending on who they might choose. I hope a lot of results are made public though. The data will be nice to have for future references.

If we do end up getting a roster with 60 characters or more... all I hope is that balancing won't be any trouble lol.

Y'know what? Screw it!

Nintendo should go full on out with DLC and bump the roster to 200 fighters! Hey, if Tobal 2 can have 200 fighters, I'm sure Ninty could handle something like this.

:troll:

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674
I'm hoping for Roy to appear in this Nintendo Direct.

I also hope we get some Smash-related surprises at E3 outside of Ryu.
Since this is a Japanese Nintendo Direct, and Roy is a Japan exclusive character I think this Direct makes a lot of sense for him to get revealed. It's not the first time either, Shulk was officially revealed in a Japanese Direct as well. Roy is also heavily demanded in Japan, more the reason to show him off in this Direct.

You could say the same for Lucas as he is also a Japan exclusive character, but Sakurai knows Mother 3 has a big cult following in the west. Hence why it was beneficial to show off Lucas in a worldwide Direct.

Please let Roy be revealed, make our boy happy!

Last edited:

QUACK DER BRUCHTPILOT

Smash Rookie
Since this is a Japanese Nintendo Direct, and Roy is a Japan exclusive character I think this Direct makes a lot of sense for him to get revealed. It's not the first time either, Shulk was officially revealed in a Japanese Direct as well. Roy is also heavily demanded in Japan, more the reason to show him off in this Direct.

You could say the same for Lucas as he is also a Japan exclusive character, but Sakurai knows Mother 3 has a big cult following in the west. Hence why it was beneficial to show off Lucas in a worldwide Direct.
At what time is the direct? Tomorrow? Thanks!

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Y'know, I would much rather have Roy revealed at E3 instead of this direct. Sure, Japan is where Roy's fans are mostly at but that doesn't change the fact that Roy is popular on a international level after his appearance in Melee and theirs a lot of fans across the globe that want to see revealed at a direct that their available to watch.

Not only that but it's pretty cheap to just throw Roy in a region exclusive direct when there's a much bigger opportunity to reveal him at a huge event like E3 where characters like Ryu and Wolf will be revealed as well. If theirs anything revealed on this direct, I hope it's something not related to new DLC characters like stages, modes, and a potential Lucas reveal date that won't have enough time to be showcased at E3 because I would really hate huge potential E3 reveals to be wasted on something like region exclusive directs.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Sakurai didn't Retweet the Direct .

Maybe a surprise , but he always have retweet all Smash related direct

Boo Jr.

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BooJunior00
3DS FC
4613-8845-7527
I still don't think we will have any new smash news on this direct...

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Please let Roy be revealed, make our boy happy!

I wouldn't expect Roy's reveal here.. Sakurai hasn't retweeted the Direct announcement. He retweeted every other Direct that had a Smash reveal, including the Japan only Direct that revealed Shulk.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
But , did he retweet the direct after , the day defore or the day the direct was ?

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
But , did he retweet the direct after , the day defore or the day the direct was ?
Day before, I believe. I know for a fact that it wasn't after.

EDIT: Just went back and checked his Twitter feed, he did in fact retweet it the day before the Direct (August 28th, the Direct was on the 29th.)

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
That's good news. Personally, I don't want Roy's reveal to be wasted at a region specific direct where the majority of the world can't watch the event.

Besides, E3 is only like 2 and a half weeks away. It's not going to be long now.

That's good news. Personally, I don't want Roy's reveal to be wasted at a region specific direct where the majority of the world can't watch the event.

Besides, E3 is only like 2 and a half weeks away. It's not going to be long now.
Oh it's going to be long. Very long if Roy's revealed at E3 ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)
the amount of time itself isn't too long, though

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
Yeah I agree, after Roy I don't want anymore FE characters in Smash 4. Smash 5 is when I'll start rooting for FE again

ShionKaito438

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SK#378
NNID
ShionKaito438
Unpopular opinion: I'd like Roy to be revealed in the direct.
Then Ryu can be revealed at E3. Everyone wins.

belmontzar

Smash Apprentice
I think the primary focus for DLC at first is going to be around letting people get teh past characters they want to play. The awesome part of DLC, especially when it is about returnign characters in a fighting game, is that if ya dont want them, ya dont need to get them. I am positive that all of the past characters will come bak [sans ice limbers due to teh 3ds hard ware problem mentioned before]
So im sure Roy and snake will ome back at some point. Since they are EASY sells to teh players of Melee and brawl [same with Wolf and maybe even Young link?]
the starting DLC will be characters mixed between Wanted vets and new characters to draw other fan bases in.
I mean once Ryu shows up then A crap ton of STREET FIGHTER and capcom fans will probably snag Smash just to see how they made Ryu fit with Sonic and mario.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Roy being in the direct just feels watered down really. It would be a shame for Roy to be thrown in some next regional exclusive direct when other DLC characters get high profile reveals.

Ryu will still have a lot of spotlight at E3. I'm thinking he'll be revealed at the conclusion of the NWC but if not, he'll be the grand reveal towards the end of the digital event.

I'm going to check some dates regarding Binding Blade's release, Roy's DLC release in Japan, NA, and EU for Awakening, and anything else I can think of.

EDIT:

Binding Blade: 29th March 2002
Spirit Talisman 2 (Japan Roy DLC): 26th April 2012
Champions of Yore 2 (NA Roy DLC): 7th February 2013
Champions of Yore 2 (EU Roy DLC): 2nd May 2013

I don't see anything here that could be tied to the upcoming Direct, E3, EVO, the Fire Emblem concert, etc. All of it also seems way too far off for a release date if he's ever announced at those. I don't think any of those dates are going to be tied into his inclusion.

There could still be his reveal date for Melee, his reveal date for Awakening DLC, etc. that I'm having trouble finding. All I know is that I stumbled upon the reddit part of the Fire Emblem community trying to find these dates and got #TRIGGERED.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion

pretty good roy.It's a smashified version of roy not as good as the offical ones or omni's but still better than anything i could do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom