• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas Boards' QnA Thread

Semmick

Smash Journeyman
Is there any way to set up an Usmash at high %s?
Thats my favorite kill move because I use fsmash to punish and dsmash to edgeguard

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
How do I deal with a defensive Falco/Lucario? I was having friendly matches with my friend who mains both and I found it irritatingly hard to hit him because he kept rolling all over the place (note: rolling only. he isn't used to sidestepping) and hitting me back with nair combo. I'm perfectly capable of DI-ing away from the second or third hits and the infinite combo from Falco, but It was hard to hit him with my usual Nair/Fair. When he's sufficiently far enough, he spams blasters/aura sphere.

How does lucas hit this kind of person?

soccerdude7200

Smash Journeyman
Well a general strategy for a roll-happy person would be just to predict his roll and just punish with an fsmash or dsmash or something along those lines.
And if theyre not approaching you, you can just sit back with psi magnet until they approach you, or you can approach them (which is what they probably want)

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Um i was messing around in training and i got dtilt (they didn't trip) to fsmash to be a 2 consecutive hits ... does this just need extremely accurate timing to be pulled off or is spacing involved?

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I gots a question. How easy is it to SDI Lucas' up smash into the ground and tech it?

I lol'd so freakin' hard.
Insanely hard. I've never seen timing-precise level 9 CPUs do it before.

Spelt, the idea behind dtilt lock isn't to make the opponent trip. Rather, the idea is to make them hit the ground (non-tech, they must be on the floor) and use dtilt to rack up some quick damage (and delay the time until they can get up) and then fsmash before they get the chance to get up. You don't trip them first; they must already be on the ground.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm not talking about the trip. D:
i'm talking about when it doesn't trip.
is there any possible way you can combo the non-tripping dtilt into an fsmash (actual combo)? or am i just crazy?

Chuee

Smash Hero
No, dtilt doesn't have hardly any stun. Fsmash is way too slow to combo from a dtilt.

Irsic

Smash Ace
dtil has NO stun whatsoever, Wolf & Metaknight (and others I'm sure) can dsmash you between dtilt hits.

Luur3

Smash Journeyman
Does Lucas have any sort of possible chaingrab against Marth? I'm wondering because of the grab release to Dtilt thing we have against a few characters. I did a bit of testing and found I could regrab, but since it doesnt always trip the first time, could there be any potential or no?

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
It may work with the grab release once or twice, untill they catch on. It can be DIed out of if they do it properly. D-tilt comes out much faster, which is why it works against some characters.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Just decided right now to pick up Lucas for Low Tier tourneys.

What are some most have ATs that a Lucas main must learn to have any hope of winning. There's some recovery glitches I hear. thank you.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Just decided right now to pick up Lucas for Low Tier tourneys.

What are some most have ATs that a Lucas main must learn to have any hope of winning. There's some recovery glitches I hear. thank you.
Lucas' recoveries include his tether, PKT2, zap jump and wave magnet. Check Tyr_03's sticky thread for more info on his recovery, it's great.

Wavebouncing isn't exactly important but it's good for spacing. If you don't B-stick, you might want to try manual wavebouncing.

Also, FH Dair combo's into Fsmash if your opponent misses the tech. It starts at anywhere from 77% (jiggs) to 98% (bowser).

Anyway, I have another question open to the floor: How to combo Nair into tilts? Usually when I do this my opponent gets knocked away by the final hit and I can't follow up.

Tokaio

Smash Journeyman
On the "Counterpicking Made Easy" thread, it says that Luigi's Mansion is one of Lucas' best stages. Can anybody explain to me why?

Sometimes, whenever I Dair -> Dtilt lock, the opponent is able to roll away (instead of being forced to get up) when I decide to smash them. Why does this happen??

Levitas

the moon
luigi's mansion is good because nobody can threaten you from the other side of a pillar, but you can get them. also, it's fairly easy to get our stuff off with the ceiling.

Note that it's not necessarily a good call against metaknight.

For the dtilt lock, either they're teching when they're hit into the ground, or the dtilt is coming too late and you're just tripping.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
Anyway, I have another question open to the floor: How to combo Nair into tilts? Usually when I do this my opponent gets knocked away by the final hit and I can't follow up.
avoid the last hit, there are 2 ways, the first one, autocancelled nairs, just sh nair, don't fast fall it and move horizontally to avoid hitting with the last hit, or, non autocancelled nairs, you have to fast fall the attack just before the last hit comes out (nair has like 7 hits i think, so fast fall the attack after you have hit 6 times)

Tokaio

Smash Journeyman
Sorry...posted on my brother's account. Ooops
Sorry about that post, I forgot to log onto my account before posting.
So how are they able to tech when they're in a dtilt lock? o_o When they're in the middle of a dtilt lock, and I start to charge up a smash, aren't they forced to get up?

Chuee

Smash Hero
So how are they able to tech when they're in a dtilt lock? o_o When they're in the middle of a dtilt lock, and I start to charge up a smash, aren't they forced to get up?
They can tech the last hit of the dair so you can't lock them.
They can also escape the attack by timing the getup animation just right since it has invincibility frames.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Dtilt locks fail for one of two reasons assuming they missed the tech.

1. You were too slow. If you don't Dtilt them fast enough they will sometimes bounce on the floor as if they're in a Dtilt lock but are able to use any of their get up options including rolling away.

2. Uneven terrain can cause Dtilt locks to fail for reasons I don't really get.

Dtilt locks can also fail if they are at too low of a percentage but this doesn't apply to Dair combos because opponents aren't knocked to the ground at low percentages by Dair.

Terra~

Smash Journeyman
Questions!
Should I main a full tournament with Lucas just for the hell of it?
If not who should I have as CPs to balance out Lucas?

Lastly, any tournaments in Quebec/Montreal cities soonish? Fellow Lucas users could dominate <3

pacmansays

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, I know this question is probably stupid but only recently picked up Lucas (tried him for fun and love him)...

But I've seen people perform PK freeze but it lasts a much longer time, how does one do that?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Other people need you!

DarkWarCloud has opened up the Training Grounds. What this is is a place for new players to learn who plays what characters all in a simple thread so that they can contact said person to "teach" them the basics. As of right now, we only have a handful of "teachers" for a few characters and we need more! This is where you come in. Anyone who is skilled with your characters (any character) and has the free time to teach someone how to either: Teach the basics of the game in general and/or teach specific character(s), go in the thread and either post or PM DarkWarCloud with your information (Format is in the thread) where you may possibly be contacted by someone who wants to learn. The future of smash lies in your hands.

On the other hand, if you wish to learn, go to the thread also!

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=241698

Xyless

Smash Master
Is there any way to do the forwards magnet pull without B-sticking?

I really want to keep my C stick but I think this tech would be really helpful to me.
To do the forward magnet pull, do the PK Fire backwards, then keep him facing backwards and do the magnet. Whenever I mess it up, it's because I'm pushing my controller to the right too long, and when I do the magnet, it turns him around, generally killing me.

So...just make sure that possibly while the PK Fire is going (and you don't have much momentum control), press a little to the left to guarantee that the Magnet will go the right way.

Okay, my turn. I'm going to try to play Lucas a lot at my tournament this weekend, but there's two things I would like to know for security reasons.
1) Who all can CG Lucas? I know Peach and Marth can, but I want to be sure so, if it's bad enough, I can switch to my Peach and be safer.
2) Where is a good CP for Olimar? Granted, I know that most likely if I face an Oli I'll be playing as Peach (so I can do my 4th attempt at beating an Oli in tourney with Peach...:(), but I'd love to know. I really, really hate the Yellow Pikmin. Lylat is out, for sure.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Okay, my turn. I'm going to try to play Lucas a lot at my tournament this weekend, but there's two things I would like to know for security reasons.
1) Who all can CG Lucas? I know Peach and Marth can, but I want to be sure so, if it's bad enough, I can switch to my Peach and be safer.
2) Where is a good CP for Olimar? Granted, I know that most likely if I face an Oli I'll be playing as Peach (so I can do my 4th attempt at beating an Oli in tourney with Peach...:(), but I'd love to know. I really, really hate the Yellow Pikmin. Lylat is out, for sure.
1. Peach, Marth, DK, & D3. idk but there may be more.
2. Japes is the best place to take oli. The water kills all of his pikmin except blue ones so it makes his recovery even worse.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
my friend APN mains olimar, and he loves Jungle Japes, Olimar can camp all day long in the right platform, at least we have pk freeze, fire and thunder
i'd counterpick Rainbow Cruise or Frigate Opheron (bad spelling)

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
my friend APN mains olimar, and he loves Jungle Japes, Olimar can camp all day long in the right platform, at least we have pk freeze, fire and thunder
i'd counterpick Rainbow Cruise or Frigate Opheron (bad spelling)
NOOOOOOOOOO never Fino[Rainbow] Cruise.

Frigate and Japes.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Isn't there a thread that lists the percent(s) Lucas recovers from energy projectiles with PSi Magnet?
If so, could someone link me? Because I can't find it :)

Top Bottom