• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas Boards' QnA Thread

Uffe

Smash Hero
I heard that some Lucas main by the name Nekos defeated some of the top players somewhere. I believe somewhere in North Carolina. I don't know what top players are there, though. So I don't know, I could just be wrong about the whole thing. But I think the top player(s) there used Meta Knight or Snake and got his *** whooped by a Lucas main.

And no problem, abhishekh. Diddy Kong will probably be an easier match up than Wario, I don't know. Um, really quick, don't rely heavily on your PKF or PKT against Wario. It is very well possible for him to get by it. But just do your best, and keep trying until you win. Even if it's once, at least you're getting somewhere. Just don't give up and keep a positive mindset.

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
Yah stuff it, I dropped wiigee. The luigi boards are so gosh darn confusing, and it turns out kirby works well against Diddy and he's easier to pick up.

And I'm sure Lucas will win some day ;-;

Technodeath

Smash Champion
i've looked around a little bit before asking and didnt find a thread on it, not that there should be one.

i know that for lucas the b-stick is suggested, but are there any other button configurations to help him out, for example for that zap jump AT where people have suggested to claw the controller, would it be better to make the R button attack if you don't have it as something else already?

i currently use L for shield, R for grab or attack (depends on the account i use), Y for jump. X for grab, A as attack, B for specials and the c-stick for smashes.

just give me a few tips on what i should do.

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
i've looked around a little bit before asking and didnt find a thread on it, not that there should be one.

i know that for lucas the b-stick is suggested, but are there any other button configurations to help him out, for example for that zap jump AT where people have suggested to claw the controller, would it be better to make the R button attack if you don't have it as something else already?

i currently use L for shield, R for grab or attack (depends on the account i use), Y for jump. X for grab, A as attack, B for specials and the c-stick for smashes.

just give me a few tips on what i should do.
I set my R to grab and z to jump, since the z button is extremely easy to use and doesnt require morphing your hand into a paper airplane in order to zap jump. Having it set to jump makes it extremely easy to use zap jump, and makes other tricks with bsticking easier/possible

Tokaio

Smash Journeyman
I use L for jump (R for jump if you use L for shield). It's easier to wavejump/wavezap since you don't have to shift your hand by going X + B. I also use Y for attack. For some reason, I just find it easier to boost reverse pivot grab of Shield + A. It's probably just me though.

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
I set my R to grab and z to jump, since the z button is extremely easy to use and doesnt require morphing your hand into a paper airplane in order to zap jump. Having it set to jump makes it extremely easy to use zap jump, and makes other tricks with bsticking easier/possible
I lol'd.

Using classic controller, I think it's easiest if you just keep it to smash instead of bsticking, and use Y to jump.

And don't most people use smash stick so it's easier to pull out aerials or something?

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
so just pretty much change R to jump? i hardly even touch the Z button :/

and the stick to special?
B sticking is all about preference, some say its better to c stick, while others swear by B sticking. Its not required to zap jump, but is needed in order to wave zap (A wave bounced zap jump). Just mess around with both until you decide which one you like better

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
yeah, will do. im mainly going to look at B sticking at the moment.

how essential or helpful is wave zapping / bouncing etc to lucas' game?

im assuming very
it can be very helpful to lucas' game, but the one thing that most lucas do is that they will always wavebounce their pk fires which is exactly what you dont want to do. You want to make sure you have a healthy balance of regular and wave bounced pk fires to keep your spacing. Otherwie the opponent is gonna know where you are going to land

Wave zapping helps a ton for recovering since you get a high amount of horizontal and vertical movement.

There are quite a few tricks that use b-sticking, once you learn all of em they can be useful for tricking opponents. The main ones are wave bounce pk fire and magnet pulling (using down b directly after a wavebunce). There are tons of mixups you can do with these two alone, so just mess around with em.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I looked the Lucas Frame Data topic, but I couldn't find any frame data on airdodges. I only need one thing. How many start-up frames does his airdodge have? I would really appreciate if you could VM me instead of posting here because I'm doing a mass search of airdodge data.

Jakebudden

Smash Ace
So I will lead off this question with the basic acknowledgment that I don't know Lucas very well at all, and don't really play him.

Be that as it may, I was just playing around with a friend with characters set to random and Lucas came up. Now I have always enjoyed playing around with Lucas but never taken any time to consider getting decent with him.

My question is how good is down-b? I think for the most part it isn't considered one of Lucas's best moves correct? I know it is helpful for recovery if you wave bounce it, but just in general how good is it? All I was doing in that match was kind of wave-dashing with it. I would SH then fast fall a down-b into them and hit with the let go hitbox. It actually was working kinda well. I played around with it and got to where I was aiming it really well and even hitting them with it off-stage when they were recovering. I was killing middle weight characters like Luigi at a little over 90% off the side. Is this a valid strategy against characters that don't crazily out range you / have crippling projectiles?

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
gaw isn't worse than marth. they're both disadvantages but marth is worse because of her gr bull**** on lucas.

you're more likely to beat a gaw then a marth in tourny play.
But, Zman can beat Marths.

Levitas

the moon
Jake, I promise that down b as an offensive move is only effective if your opponent is not expecting it in limited circumstances. There's almost always a better option.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Like Ftilt. or fair. Or any other move.

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
what's even sexier is running past the person and pivot magnet them. lol. It can be done w/ or w/out B-sticking.. it's just a little harder w/out B-sticking... but then again, most things are XD

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
yeah, just don't keep the shield button up when you jump or you'll airdodge. (but zair is the best OoS option evar!)

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
That's weird, perhaps it has something to do w/ Z-air physics... anyway, just practice and you should get it down. Just be aware that nearly anything out prioritizes it -.-

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
Wondering what I should do to make my Lucas better.

I got most of the ATs down, the useful ones anyway (I really can't be ***** learning jab lock)
And I've started fooling around with other stages (mostly FD, BF, Smashsville and Yoshi's Island brawl)

The only thing I'm really having trouble with, is trying to use d-tilt more. But in most of the videos of the better Lucases, they don't really use it that often either .-. That and the chaingrab on Ness and Lucas (as in, me performing it on another ness/lucas). I can get down the first three grabs, but then on the next one I pull out my shield instead for some reason.

Should I start looking into the combos listed in the guides?
I was also thinking about maybe starting to play ness as well, which is what a lot of people seem to do here .-.

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
i use dtilt as a spacing move (to try to do dtilt trip > fsmash), when they have thier shields up, and if they shield the first to hits of my jab. oh and dtilt locks :D

as for grabbing but shielding, pressing z too fast registers as a shield. try r+a instead.

welcome to the boards :D

prOAPC

Smash Lord
also, use dtilt when an opponent is running at you (for a grab, or usmash), it stops them and you can start a combo
learn to space it perfectly to increase the tripping rate (hit with the tip)

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
i use dtilt as a spacing move (to try to do dtilt trip > fsmash), when they have thier shields up, and if they shield the first to hits of my jab. oh and dtilt locks :D

as for grabbing but shielding, pressing z too fast registers as a shield. try r+a instead.

welcome to the boards :D

QQ I've posted here before, just not a lot since I don't really have enough tourney experience to contribute.

I've been to one, trying to get into more (Next one is on the 22nd of November, I think. That's after exams which is great for me).

I'll try the tips you've given me.

Thanks.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I have a question: When your WB PKFire after you've been blasted off stage, does the WB cancel momentum to make you live longer if you jump then WB, I'm not quite sure about this so I would like it clarified.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
I have a question: When your WB PKFire after you've been blasted off stage, does the WB cancel momentum to make you live longer if you jump then WB, I'm not quite sure about this so I would like it clarified.
IIRC double jumping cancels all knockback momentum so yeah, DJ -> WBPKF offstage should be no different as onstage, so it should work as a recovery

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
b/c they are not the same character. Don't assume they are clones. Play the one you are comfortable with :p

Wild ARMs

Smash Journeyman
why choose lucas over ness? and vice versa
Due to personal bias, I suggest Lucas because he has more recovery options and PKF is more spammable with him. But then, it's all a matter of preference.
The first time I picked Lucas, I knew he was the character for me. After countless Wi-Fi losses against this guy who was helping me get better, and I could never beat, I experimented with characters and tried Lucas. Without even knowing much about Lucas, I was able to beat this guy's second best character. (Falco, no less)
I instantly loved this character. Every part of his moveset clicked for me, and I found my new main. (I WAS a spammy Marth scrub. D:)
I gradually improved my Lucas game to this point, learning not to spam usmash, use dair more often, tether recovery, magnet pull, zap jump, and just recently, the super special awesomeness of the epic, the holy, the one and only... The dtilt lock. :heart:
(Lucas' most epic kill other than a bair spike, imo.)

But yeah, tl;dr just go with whatever character "clicks" for you. ;)

Top Bottom