• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas Boards' QnA Thread

~Nasty~

Smash Lord
Reverse magnet pull w/o B-sticking. I don't get it. I have pulled it off a few times by accident.
it seems difficult but it's not that hard. just hard to explain. i do it naturally so i'm not even sure what i hit anymore >.< but i think this is what i do:

shoot pk fire to the right and then go into magnet pull but since you want to reverse it you have to tilt the joy stick diagnally down to the left and then to the right. this should turn you around. just mess with the diagnol directions and you'll figure it out.

what i'm having trouble w/ is trying to shoot pk fire in one direction and then reverse magnet pull towards the person with the magnet facing them (while on the stage the entire time, not recovering). While B-sticking, it is simple. if you want to do it to the right, you shoot pk fire right, hold the joy stick to the right and hit the b-stick diagnally down to the left and it does it w/ ease. but with c-sticking it is sooo diffucult and i'm not going to change my controls for one move. there is a way to do it but i can't get it 100% of the time, i can get it maybe 50% of the time. what i do is shoot pk fire to the right, then hit the joy stick diagnolly down to the left and hit b and then quickly point the joy stick to right and it works. (i think that's how it's supposed to be done but i'm not sure)

can anyone clarify this for me? and correct me if i was wrong in answering DXT's question. thanks!

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
This is likely a job for Levitas, seeing as he's apparently graduated to resident tester of all things Lucas or something.

I was ******* around with the CPU over spring break while trying to get used to B-Sticking and tried to fsmash a Jigglypuff that was using a fully charged Rollout. I missed, but Rollout went right through me.

This made me remember an incident with my friend's Toon Link. I tried to reflect an arrow but couldn't do it in time, but the arrow simply went over me while I was still in the windup animation. We did some quick testing and concluded that Lucas ducks his head a bit while charging it, presumably enough to avoid the arrow completely. But the Rollout incident made me wonder if there was some strange property of fsmash at work here.

</conspiracy theory>

prOAPC

Smash Lord
^^^
we have talked about that before
what happens here is that when Lucas is charging a fsmash, he moves slighty to the Z axis, just like a spotdodge. Don't thing this is overpowered, because only Lucas' head moves so attacks with small hitboxes are the only ones that miss
i posted a pic in the tricks thread, where Lucas dodges Yoshi's running grab with a fsmash (this is like the only attack i can dodge 100% of the time with Fsmash)

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Oh, cool, I missed that conversation.

But if only the head moves, then how did Rollout (whose hitbox I'd presume would hit Lucas's entire body) miss completely? o_O

Levitas

the moon
magic? lol.

As for testing that psi magnet thing, momentum doesn't work the same in frame by frame as it does in normal play, so magnet pulls don't work there. If someone who actually knows off the top of their head wants to test it, they shouldn't. They should instead just say what it is that they know.

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
Question about fthrow and bthrow.

I rarely find human players to compete with, so just bare with me on this.

Sometimes when I bthrow (and very rarely fthrow) the opponent goes sideways, like completely sideways from me at 180 degrees (well not completely, but they go sideways)...And then sometimes they'll go at a diagonal from me, making it easy for them to recover.

I wanted to know if this was just DI or if there is a way I can make it so they go sideways instead of diagonal most of the time.

Sorry for the stupid question ;-;

Abhishekh.

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace

Sometimes when I bthrow (and very rarely fthrow) the opponent goes sideways, like completely sideways from me at 180 degrees (well not completely, but they go sideways)...And then sometimes they'll go at a diagonal from me, making it easy for them to recover.

I wanted to know if this was just DI or if there is a way I can make it so they go sideways instead of diagonal most of the time.

Abhishekh.
the only stupid question is the one that is never asked ;)

regarding bthrow: its just bad DI

Chuee

Smash Hero

Abhishekh.
No question is stupid.
As toxi said it's just bad DI.

Questions about when Lucas get's ground released. I noticed that he breaks out at different lengths. I know that if I move the control stick towards the unit grabbing me I pop out closer, but how do I get the furtherest distance away from them?

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
Questions about when Lucas get's ground released. I noticed that he breaks out at different lengths. I know that if I move the control stick towards the unit grabbing me I pop out closer, but how do I get the furtherest distance away from them?
unfortunately, there's nothing we can do. if one of our mods were here, he'd say something along the line of "Extra-Inch DI doesnt exist."
its a flaw in the game.

you can try hold the control stick away from the opponent. many at the Ness boards would tell you it works, but it's be proven to not work so i wouldnt even bother with it.

unfortunately, there's nothing we can do. if one of our mods were here, he'd say something along the line of "Extra-Inch DI doesnt exist."
its a flaw in the game.

you can try hold the control stick away from the opponent. many at the Ness boards would tell you it works, but it's be proven to not work so i wouldnt even bother with it.
Odd isn't though that you can get close to the person with control stick direction, but no further away than normal.

Does percents have anything to do with it? I have noticed that Lucas popped out further away than normal once against a Snake. Normally the Utilt worked, but one time it diddn't and it missed completely because Lucas was to are away.

1000th post :)

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
Odd isn't though that you can get close to the person with control stick direction, but no further away than normal.

Does percents have anything to do with it? I have noticed that Lucas popped out further away than normal once against a Snake. Normally the Utilt worked, but one time it diddn't and it missed completely because Lucas was to are away.

1000th post :)
congrats on your 1000th.
Snake probably reacted too late. there is really nothing that can make us get further away out of a grab release. Unfortunately, extra inch DI doesnt exist. and even if it did, the opponent can just dash+regrab, or attack us right out of it due to 10 frames of lag.

the best way to avoid this: dont get grabbed. i know its easier said than done, but it's the sad truth.

I'll have to tell the other people I know on that. I know another guy who is using Lucas likes to really pound out the smashes and charges them a lot. A missed Usmash means ground release CG :(

congrats on your 1000th.

Snake probably reacted too late. there is really nothing that can make us get further away out of a grab release. Unfortunately, extra inch DI doesnt exist. and even if it did, the opponent can just dash+regrab, or attack us right out of it due to 10 frames of lag.
After playing around with this somemore, Lucas does occasionally break out far enough away from snake that if he tried to uptilt in place Lucas would not get hit. There are 3 distances that lucas will break away from Snake on the ground. Close, neutral and far.

Close you can induce yourself by moving the control stick in the direction of Snake. Bad idea obvioulsly, he can regrab you again. THe neutral distance, Snake can still regrab you because he can inch forward in like 2 frames and use the other 8 to before the grab. Also Uptilt works there as well. But if you can get that far distance then Snake will not be able to regrab you or Utilt because you are to far away and snake cannot reach you in time to regrab or Utilt. I still have no idea how to induce this though. I leave the controller port empty on human player and it seems to randomly decide between neutral and a far distance.

If it's random than that sux because Lucas could end up dying pretty early, if not and we can induce this than and avoid all the regrab attempts and Utilt KOs. I meaa Dtilt can still hit lucas even at the far distance, but it kills at a lot higher percent.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Can somebody put up a strategy guide I can use for when I battle Kirby, I'm having some trouble

Levitas

the moon
Welcome to smashboards ^_^

Don't be the one approaching, kirby can't kill you if he has to approach. This means getting him to come to you by throwing out pk fires from a distance.

Watch for his back air, which is his only decent aerial approach. If he throws out a bair, don't try to outprioritize it, just move out of the way and hit him when he lands.

jump out of the fthrow > uair > fthrow chain as soon as you can to minimize damage, though it doesn't go for long on lucas.

don't approach, even when he's at high percents and close to a kill. fsmash, though deceptively slow, doesn't have an obvious startup animation/noise, so if you force him to come to you, the odds of you getting hit by one shrink dramatically and therefore your lifespan increases.

triwert

Smash Rookie
Neeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

Just kidding lucas is a lot better
The fainal smash is better
it just he's better

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
Quick question.

With dtilt, I really don't see anyone using it a lot, but I do know it's a decent attack..

Every time I try to use it, I sorta get carried away and do about 6 of them and get punished.

Plus I can rarely ever get a dtilt in anyway. And after I do dtilt, I have no idea what to do. If they trip, I usually fsmash (Lol CPU's do that a lot, so dunno if that actually works) but that's about it.

Any suggestions?

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
Quick question.

With dtilt, I really don't see anyone using it a lot, but I do know it's a decent attack..

Every time I try to use it, I sorta get carried away and do about 6 of them and get punished.

Plus I can rarely ever get a dtilt in anyway. And after I do dtilt, I have no idea what to do. If they trip, I usually fsmash (Lol CPU's do that a lot, so dunno if that actually works) but that's about it.

Any suggestions?
Try to use a Dair to a Dtilt to get a dtilt lock. afterwards, u can follow up with a Fsmash, Ftilt or upsmash

Chuee

Smash Hero
Question: Toxi said on last page that DI doesn't exist out of grab release. Yet how come we can DI out of marth's grab release?

Levitas

the moon
There's three types of grab release breaks: jump, far, and short.

Hold away on a ground release for far, press up w/o requiring a buffer to break for a jump, otherwise short.

Long sometimes escapes marth (dunno why it's sometimes, haven't looked into it for a while), but it's worth noting that marth can always get you with a grab by dashgrabbing.

soccerdude7200

Smash Journeyman
hmmmm
Is there a certain percentage where we can get out of marth's grab release??
cuz isn't that the case with ness?

Levitas

the moon
Not really. Ness just can't get out as far as I know, and I've done some really extensive testing.

Lucas requires a dash grab, but still, it keeps going.

Top Bottom