• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas Boards' QnA Thread

hintaru2

Smash Rookie
thanks. I'm not new to Brawl and other people tell me i'm pretty good with lucas, but I know that I could still use some training. One question though, what is one of Lucas' best combos?

S.D

Smash Master
thanks. I'm not new to Brawl and other people tell me i'm pretty good with lucas, but I know that I could still use some training. One question though, what is one of Lucas' best combos?
Lucas has a lot of effective standard combos which can rack up quite a lot of damage. I suggest taking a look at Tyr's Lucas guide which will answer a lot of questions you might have on the subject.

AC Nair or FH Dair to jab combos and tilts are simple and effective.

I personally like FH dair > SH nair > SH uair which racks up some handy damage.

hintaru2

Smash Rookie
Lucas has a lot of effective standard combos which can rack up quite a lot of damage. I suggest taking a look at Tyr's Lucas guide which will answer a lot of questions you might have on the subject.

AC Nair or FH Dair to jab combos and tilts are simple and effective.

I personally like FH dair > SH nair > SH uair which racks up some handy damage.
Thanks i'll try them out. Sorrry, but i have anyother question, what is a good secondary character for a Lucas player like myself?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
inb4metaknight

<_<

But in all seriousness, Meta Knight is a good generic secondary, although you may/may not get flamed to hell and back for being a tier *****. I think Dedede and Marth do well vs. characters we'd bother counterpicking against in the first place.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
is there a best lucas? i use lucas in low tier tournys and stuff, enjoy him heaps, and just wanted to watch how good a lucas can be (like m2k's mk or ally's snake)...

Irsic

Smash Ace
a best Lucas?

Not really, it's still too early to tell (which is pretty sad)

The only Lucas player to be proving himself at tournaments though is Galeon

Dekar173

Justice Man
I can vouch for Zman's Lucas. He has yet to take first, but he consistently places, and is definitely a force to be reckoned with :)

Oh great and wise Zman, when will team Earthbound rise again?

Attila_

BRoomer
thanks guys, he seems pretty good... im going to a low tier tourny (from peach downwards) this weekend, might get a video of my lucas for you guys to critique :)

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
I just want to know; occasionally when I PKT2 towards the ledge, something happens and Lucas starts going off at weird angles. He didn't hit the stage; the hitboxes from PKT2 are still there.

What happened?

Attila_

BRoomer
is this on the right side of the stage? ive had this happen a few times when i mess up a thunderdash... but only ever on the right side. avoid the right :)

lil cj

Smash Lord
I just want to know; occasionally when I PKT2 towards the ledge, something happens and Lucas starts going off at weird angles. He didn't hit the stage; the hitboxes from PKT2 are still there.

What happened?
Yeah what Shmot said^^^
In every stage the right side is different from the left side(its a glitch)
and if you dont angle PKT correctly you will bounce off the ledge

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
Heh, i'm back again :/

A couple of questions:

How well does lucas do against pit? Any tips?
Would it be better to use my ZSS against pit?

And

Psi Magnet, as an attack is it useful for anything?

Irsic

Smash Ace
Pit is a pretty even match up, but you have to know what to watch out for -

His down b, the shield, can reflect your direction of PKT2. (i.e.) if you're recovering, and you PKT2 from a distance off the stage, Pit jumps off and pulls out of his shield, and you bounce off and change direction, getting gimped. Be careful.

Pit has a bit of range and disjoint and he can be hard to hit. He has 2 reflectors, and they can come out pretty quick. Pit has to be weary of his arrows in this match up, but don't miss a chance to absorb them, they're really easy to see coming.

Pit is just as light as you are, and Lucas has an easier time killing than Pit does. You should definitely live longer. I think this match up should be in Lucas' advantage 55-45, but the topic says otherwise.

PsiM as an attack is...risky. Certain characters can easily punish you, but it's really easy to bait characters like Mario, Lucario, and Ice Climbers (I don't recommend this against ICs) into it.

It punishes rolls and spot dodgers well, but there are better options for punishing frequent spot dodging (lol usmash)

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, I really don't think I'm that good (I always use pk2 to recover, heck when I can recover by just jumping to the ledge, i'll grab the ledge, the quickly jump away from it and pk2 onto the stage) and I'll most likely be versing a guy who's one of the top three in my state.

I'm screwed, but as long as i can make it a close one i'll be pretty happy.

Levitas

the moon
If you can get away with making the pit approach, that's ideal. From ultra far, just hold out a PsiM. You will NOT be gaining health like this unless your opponent is ********. From mid-long, try to dodge and move into mid close. At mid close, your PK fire is about as good as his arrows and he's gonna have to think about whether he wants to risk using arrows and get an aerial to the face.

USE THE TETHER. tether >>>>>>>> PKT2 whenever it's applicable.

Don't PKT2 onto the stage from a ledgehop. It's bad policy. I have an item on the lucas tips thread that's dedicated to getting on the stage from the edge iirc.

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
Eh thanks, its a bit late for that, but i'll try.

Recovering will be a sinch though, since he plays on yoshi's island, the new one, so I can't bounce off the ledge as much.

I prolly won't use pk2 as much in this match either...

He's pretty much the first non-computer person i've versed in real life, the people on wi-fi don't count, since they're worse than level 5 CPUs.

Which is why I like to spam pk2, you can seriously win against a level 9 CPU by just spamming that move.

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
The sides of Brawl Yoshi's Island are actually terrible for Lucas' recovery.
Eh, I never seem to miss the ledge as much as i do on FD.

And we versed eachother, there were just a couple of thing i wasn't counting on.

One, that there were three people playing including me and him(The other person sucked, like worse than me)

Two that he was playing marth

Uh yeah, but I wouldn't say I got *****, but I lost due to a bunch of stupid mistakes, and he was using a wii-chuck too...Which he had never used before, since he always uses game cube controller...

Oh well maybe next time.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
This Q&A is super-cool.

Wolf's side-b's basically useless, it's at least better than his standard recovery, and it even has a weak spike if it gets sweet-spots.

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
About Lucas' Bair: Where does it spike? At a small hitbox at the tip, on the whole of his foot or his leg? And which is the sourspot? And does it give a slight boost of upward momentum at the end of the attack (just noticed).

And something weird with Lucas' Fsmash: I was practicing Dair-Dtilt-FSmash combo in training on FD; and one time while Toon Link was tripped I FSmashed him and the smoke that came out was all weird: it seemed like TL went straight up for a bit then went his usual diagonal-to-the-right way.

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
About Lucas' Bair: Where does it spike? At a small hitbox at the tip, on the whole of his foot or his leg? And which is the sourspot? And does it give a slight boost of upward momentum at the end of the attack (just noticed).

And something weird with Lucas' Fsmash: I was practicing Dair-Dtilt-FSmash combo in training on FD; and one time while Toon Link was tripped I FSmashed him and the smoke that came out was all weird: it seemed like TL went straight up for a bit then went his usual diagonal-to-the-right way.
Bair Spike- on the tip of lucas' foot.

As for TL fsmash: he probably went straight up because of the GOD DI. Sometimes if u upsmash, the opponent will go straight down because of GOD DI and thats probably what happened in this case.

c3gill

Smash Ace

Just the tip of his foot. and i think it gives him a small upward pseudo-boost, kinda like Uair, but its negligible. I dunno if he even travels upward, it might just look like it.

i dunno about weird smoke...... did Toon Link throw a bomb into the ground/at you as you were F-Smashing? you could have reflected it at him, hit him with it and then whacked him with your bat....?

HailCrest

Smash Journeyman
Nothing to do with the smoke... just that the smoke told me TL's trajectory and it was weird. It was like:
.../
../
./
|

And god DI? Sounds interesting. How do you pull that off?

(just so we're clear, we're talking about Lucas' stick, not TL's FSmash).

And I've never seen someone go down from Lucas' Usmash before.

Levitas

the moon
well, dealing with trajectories is an important part of rocket science. And DI is pretty much optimizing your trajectory.

The difference is that there isn't explosive fuel coming out of the character's rear.

abhishekh

Smash Journeyman
well, dealing with trajectories is an important part of rocket science. And DI is pretty much optimizing your trajectory.

The difference is that there isn't explosive fuel coming out of the character's rear.

LOL.

Anyway...

With that zap jumping thing, I can't get any backwards momentum, so i can't use the psi magnet to get pushed back really fast.

What am I doing wrong o.o?

Top Bottom