• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Lucas Boards' QnA Thread

Iwolfe

Smash Rookie
I'm uber-new and i really just need a question answered. (FYI, i don't know any of those terms you're using because i'm new to all this :D). Well....Sometimes, when i die, or when a CPU dies, when i come back, i have a smash ball! I don't get it. Because with Lucas, i did this once on wi-fi, and A CPU Wolf did this 4 times on a 99 minute CPU' brawl i was watching. I wanna know how i can do this because well, who doesn't wanna retaliate; glowing; with a smash ball, suprising your friends and pwning them beyond measure? Well, i just wanna know how this happens. Thanx if you reply.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Standard game feature when you have Smash Balls turned on. If you're losing horribly, the game will give you a "Pity Final Smash" on your next spawn.

Iwolfe

Smash Rookie
So how many times you gotta lose? Man i thought it was a button i pressed >.>

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm not sure. I don't play with items on much anymore, but my (admittedly fuzzy) memory recalls that the CPU would get one sometimes near the tail end of a 5-stock (EDIT: and 1 v. 1) match. But don't quote me on that.

Bolt 145

Smash Rookie
Just a question (by the way I am new to the fourms) I just learned about these sweet combos with b-sticking but i rely hevly on the c-stick in lucas's air game. So should i make the swich to b-stiking? Well thanks in advance!

Levitas

the moon
It's up to you. I say get good with the cstick first, because it's applicable to all characters moreso.

welcome to smashboards ^_^

Chuee

Smash Hero
Just a question (by the way I am new to the fourms) I just learned about these sweet combos with b-sticking but i rely hevly on the c-stick in lucas's air game. So should i make the swich to b-stiking? Well thanks in advance!
Since you've already been using the C-stick, I would suggest keeping the C-stick for aerials. If you really want to b-stick you can but it wont be easy transitioning from the different controls.

Teh Future

Smash Master
so what are the DI options everyone is talking about in the dk vs lucas matchup thread

When I get grabbed, I just mash away, I dont know how to DI anything out of a grab.

Teh Future

Smash Master
you're still talking about DIing out of a grab in the DK vs lucas thread.

I don't understand how you can DI out of a grab. With Lucas, Ness, or any character.

Levitas

the moon
DI on a grab break does exist.

EIDI doesn't exist. I just tested in debug. Neither ness nor lucas can.

Marth can always grab lucas with a standing grab (on flat stages) and same with ness.

Teh Future

Smash Master
what makes marth's grab different than other characters? I thought Ness and Lucas always had like a 10 frame disadvantage coming out of a grab release compared to other characters, but then why don't other characters have a regrab infinite?

Levitas

the moon
wrestler, other characters might. It seems to depend entirely on height, the frame the grab hits, and grab range and/or dash speed to get to them in those 10 or so frames.

You'll note that it isn't exactly 10 frames disadvantage. Lucas on Ness gives him 11, and Marth on Ness gives him 12.

Lucas has no regrab infinite, the ness can break out with a spot-dodge first.

I think it's absolutely possible the vid was wrong on some account. I'd have to look at it again, but the point it that I've tested it and there's no difference between using the cstick and not, and Marth can always regrab lucas and ness.

S.D

Smash Master
What?

Are you sure Levitas because I have broken release infinites consistently with Lucas and with Ness.

Or is it just that Marth needs to take a step forward, and if he doesn't you can escape?

You can definitely escape a standing release.

c3gill

Smash Ace
is there a way to cancel PKT? I was playing a few friendlies earlier and I think I canceled it somehow (no a projectile didnt hit it, it just ended early), but Im not quite sure how I did it. Input?

Irsic

Smash Ace
I swear to god, sometimes Zap Jump sends me REALLY high, and sometimes it only sends me about 3/4ths that height. The 3/4ths height seems to happen much less, I have no idea what causes this.

Levitas

the moon
Nor do I. However, I haven't been able to find a reason for this (or get it to happen under controlled circumstances).

For that matter, I haven't seen it since I collected frame data on the zap jump.

S.D

Smash Master
Does it have anything to do with your height when you initiate the zap jump?

As in you might go higher if you zap jump at the peak of your jump?

How mysterious...

ChrisTheCom

Smash Cadet
I've seen a couple of vids of people playing Lucas lately and noticed that after grabbing an opponent at low percents, the Dthrow > Utilit combo was used. I normally use Dthrow > SH Uair and was wondering if Utilt is a better option, or if there are better moves to follow up a Dthrow with. I've stuck with Uair so far because it applies pressure, does a good bit of damage, has good priority and allows for Lucas to potentially follow up with other moves quickly, such as Bair. Opinions?

Edit: Thanks for input everyone

c3gill

Smash Ace
I've seen a couple of vids of people playing Lucas lately and noticed that after grabbing an opponent at low percents, the Dthrow > Utilit combo was used. I normally use Dthrow > SH Uair and was wondering if Utilt is a better option, or if there are better moves to follow up a Dthrow with. I've stuck with Uair so far because it applies pressure, does a good bit of damage, has good priority and allows for Lucas to potentially follow up with other moves quickly, such as Bair. Opinions?
The knockback from the DThrow is going to increase as your opponents damage increases, so I think its safe to assume that U-Tilt is better at lower Percentages, and Uair is better at higher percentages.

I like Uair over Utilt, but nair or dair could be best at lower percentages, just because they seem to move more fluidly into other moves.

S.D

Smash Master
U air is sadly avoidable, I used to go for it too.

However I don't think there's any issue with mixing it up, only that utilt is far more reliable.

Irsic

Smash Ace
utilt is a true combo at low %s on pretty much any character (some characters need to be at less than 10% :\) except Ganondorf where it is never a true combo.

Uair is easily avoided by an airdodge, or just jumping.

c3gill

Smash Ace
soooo question- I was messing around earlier with one of my friends (who got surprisingly good with Falco) and I was having some issues pulling off SHNair->FFDair->Dtilt(s)->Fsmash.

He managed to grab me after my dair about 40% of the time. I dunno if my timing was off or something, but i was taking a lot of avoidable damage in this exchange- every time I got grabbed in this exchange, he would dthrow me to a jab combo, and then reflector (i could avoid the reflector, and he couldnt get a CG series off on me).

Was my timing just off? Or is Falco magical and has powers that make Lucas die too fast?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
Dair can always be shieldgrabbed unless you space it to hit behind the opponent which is easy enough to do. You're just not spacing correctly. Dair is also punishable with fast attacks at low percentages depending on the character if they have a fast attack that hits behind them. You can usually avoid this issue by jabbing after Dair though since it comes out in 2 frames.

Irsic

Smash Ace
In this case, if he was shielding your Dair - do NOT land in front of him, in fact, just get out because you're most likely going to get grabbed when you land. You do have the option of landing behind him and very quickly SH nairing his shield. Falco is a tough ****ing cookie. Hate that *******.

hyperhopper

Smash Ace
i am deciding from 16 charecters in brawl who to main, and want to play competitivly in tournaments.

Does lucas have any chance?

also, what stages is lucas best on?

Top Bottom