• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Neat! It's especially awesome that they have (what appears to be) a cartridge of the original GBC game. Isn't that thing supposed to be as rare as an Earthbound cart?
Yes, very rare like EarthBound.

Speaking of which, it pretty crazy/funny that both games, even with those rarity similarities, were released on the Nintendo eShops on the exact same day back in 2013.

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
Wow, its been a very long time since I've been on this website. Anyways, I used to not really care who won the ballot but as of late I've fallen in love with Shantae as a character and her series.I can't wait for the next game and now shes now the character I want most! Really hope she gets in, fingers crossed. Its nice to see so much support and that this thread has been going on for so long!

D

Deleted member

Yes, very rare like EarthBound.

Speaking of which, it pretty crazy/funny that both games, even with those rarity similarities, were released on the Nintendo eShops on the exact same day back in 2013.
Whaaaat, really? That's crazy! Wait a second though...

Earthbound and Shantae launched on the eShop on the same day.

Shantae HGH was at Pax.

Wayforward tweeted about Ness playing HGH at Pax.

Ness is in Earthbound and Smash Bros.

BOOM. SHANTAE CONFIRMED. No.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
yet shantae is considered the overrated one between the two franchises

even though the two are insanely similar due to the humble fandom, lighthearted yet somewhat serious tone, sense of parody-based humor, etc.

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Hmm... is the Ballot "still open" for anyone else?

Like, the form for entering a character is still up for me... are they not gonna close it or something? O-o... What the heck is going on over there XD

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Over there, it's still Sunday, so they're likely at home doing...whatever they do when they're not killing themselves making Smash Bros.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Hmm... is the Ballot "still open" for anyone else?

Like, the form for entering a character is still up for me... are they not gonna close it or something? O-o... What the heck is going on over there XD
I don't know why it's still open and the lack of an official response from Nintendo confuses me even more.

I'm done voting anyways.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The ballot is still open but I wouldnt trust they count any more votes. It's like phone in competitions where they stop counting you for the prize but still add to your phone bill.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Over there, it's still Sunday, so they're likely at home doing...whatever they do when they're not killing themselves making Smash Bros.
Hmm... looking it up, it's actually Monday, October 5th over there in Japan... Hmm.

I dunno. I guess we'll get some news eventually :/.. I hope.

GP2

Smash Apprentice
Slightly off topic: Just made it to mud bog island in the pirate's curse. Really enjoying the game. People were right about the music being awesome

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
At this point, I want Shantae and Shovel Knight just for the outpouring of salt that will follow.

Slightly blocked up by K. Rool, but there's still an outpour.

They certainly would be the most unique characters, in terms of characteristics.

Shantae is a sassy yet friendly half-genie dancer who whips with her hair.

Shovel Knight is a gentleman who fights for justice with one of the most unique and unexpected weapons.

King K. Rool... Have you seen this guy sing?
He better have a Grammy by next year

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
View attachment 76566
A Matt Bozon "Shantae: Half-Genie Hero" Cartoon.

Wayforward productions, all rights reserved.
I wonder if the plot goes like this:
Shantae is walking down the street when she sees a hunky man.
Shantae marries, they have children, and as they're sitting in the retirement home...
The man explodes (He was made of things that go boom).
Risky Boots laughs at Shantae's demise.

(Try to guess the completely intended reference here)

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
I wonder if the plot goes like this:
Shantae is walking down the street when she sees a hunky man.
Shantae marries, they have children, and as they're sitting in the retirement home...
The man explodes (He was made of things that go boom).
Risky Boots laughs at Shantae's demise.

(Try to guess the completely intended reference here)

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone!

To the fellows that replied to me last night, sorry for the wait. Went to sleep lol. I'll put the replies to that stuff in spoilers.

I put high emphasis on the ballot, as it is still a key factor in all of this. Fact is, if it were just on Sakurai's shoulders alone, this whole thing would be pointless. Basically, what I intended last night (since I may have goofed a bit here and there, as it was late), was this:

Sakurai is heavily bound to what the Ballot results are. He can't just pull from the bottom of the barrel, for a few reasons. One, it just wouldn't be fair to the higher contenders, and 2. A less popular, and less demanded fighter would pose some risks.. As we all know, making Smash fighters takes a lot of work from Sakurai and his team. They have to make the model, rig the animations, prepare a balanced, and pleasing moveset, set up the taunts and the final smash... it takes time, and resources. So, why would you waste that development time on a fighter that wouldn't do well on the DLC shop? So, he is fairly restricted in the choices he can pull. Yes, he does have a bit of leeway, however if he were to try to pull a Sakurai and pull an low demand character(an off the wall character), the fans would call foul, and things would get hairy. (and for that matter, it would sit in the DLC shop gathering dust.. which I doubt Nintendo would be a fan of.)

So I guess you were right in that point. It's a significant factor, and there are several factors going into play here. (The Ballot, Sakurai, Fan service, Which ones would gain sufficient profit, etc.) Also, thanks for the link! Was an interesting read. ^_^

No. Master Chief wouldn't have been a better example >_>...

Though he is just as ridiculous as the others, he DID originate in video games. (Halo to be exact) So no. Goku is the primary example here. Some other examples that would apply here would be Shrek, Mickey Mouse, Naruto,... Basically anyone from media that is not gaming. (Anime, Manga, Cartoons, etc.) I find that funny to be honest. The ballot throughout the page heavily emphasizes the word Video game character, yet idiots still don't realize the characters they are voting for, whether serious or troll, are out of bounds.

I'll quote what I said up there!
"Sakurai is heavily bound to what the Ballot results are. He can't just pull from the bottom of the barrel, for a few reasons. One, it just wouldn't be fair to the higher contenders, and 2. A less popular, and less demanded fighter would pose some risks.. As we all know, making Smash fighters takes a lot of work from Sakurai and his team. They have to make the model, rig the animations, prepare a balanced, and pleasing moveset, set up the taunts and the final smash... it takes time, and resources."

With this in mind, Sakurai is restricted in his choices. (at least in that it has to be characters near the top, at least) Whether we like the idea or not the fact that this is Paid DLC is a factor in this too actually. (Dunno if I mentioned that in that post last night.. probably didn't XD) So really if you want to get technical, Sakurai is pulling from the ballot, but at the same time, the ballot limit's his choices.

All in all, I didn't really say Shovel Knight is on top. By no means did I intend that! :p I'd just rather people not underestimate some fighters' chances. (Like how some downplay Shantae's for example) Despite the limitation, there is still a decent pool to pull from, as after all, there are a lot of big, popular, and highly demanded characters that were campaigned for this.
Yes, Master Chief is the best example. Just because the ballot vaguely says "any videogame character" does not mean every video game character has a chance (unless you count 0.0000000001% as a chance). Master Chief would be a very, very stupid addition. In the end, this is Sakurai's game. Yes, he wants to please the fans, but he's not going to ruin his game with stupid characters to please us. No matter how much we want Ridley, Sakurai believes it's not good for the game, and so it's not happening.

Also, yes, you didn't say Shovel Knight was on top. This whole argument started when TheRickyWill said Shovel Knight had the same chances as Shantae and never gave anything to back up his argument.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Um

It doesn't look like anyone's brought this up:

I'm not sure what to make of this, and the cynical part of me wants to assume that it's not a good sign or at least means nothing important, but James Montagna's Twitter is now hidden. I haven't tried sending him a Follow request so I don't know if he just wanted to add a layer of protection to his Tweets, but still wants most fans to see them. I really don't bother with Twitter 90% of the time, so maybe it's nothing.

You know. In the wake of the Sakurai photo*, it just seems unusual. Neither Matt nor the official WayForward Twitter account have said anything about it either.

* - Assuming that wasn't just a prank of his. James has done his share of trolling, so it's a little hard to say.

Last edited:

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
Um

It doesn't look like anyone's brought this up:

I'm not sure what to make of this, and the cynical part of me wants to assume that it's not a good sign or at least means nothing important, but James Montagna's Twitter is now hidden. I haven't tried sending him a Follow request so I don't know if he just wanted to add a layer of protection to his Tweets, but still wants most fans to see them. I really don't bother with Twitter 90% of the time, so maybe it's nothing.

You know. In the wake of the Sakurai photo*, it just seems unusual. Neither Matt nor the official WayForward Twitter account have said anything about it either.

* - Assuming that wasn't just a prank of his. James has done his share of trolling, so it's a little hard to say.
I'm pretty sure since he posted the Sakurai picture, a lot of people are bugging him if he knows the ballot results despite him saying that he doesn't.

The thing about the picture is:
-He's posted it multiple times before.
-He's an excited fan and just wanted to share a memory.
-This was probably taken when Pac-Man was officially announced.

Everyone should cool it, the ballot's over but it doesn't mean we're getting INSTANT results nor should we bother developers about the future. Even if the character is secretly in, it's not like the companies are gonna tell us that anyway.

Edit: I'm sure James will go public again when people stop freaking out and misunderstanding the picture taken.

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
So the Smash ballot website is still up, even though we are well into Monday in Japan, and Nintendo hasn't even so much as acknowledged that the ballot just ended. Of course I knew on some level not to expect news from them right after or even soon after the ballot ended, but man, each day we don't hear anything is going to feel like an eternity.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
I agree that we shouldn't be expecting another patch to be right around the corner with ballot DLC or anything, but with Nintendo being almost completely silent since June, considering that the closing of the ballot should obviously be an important event, you'd think we should at least get information of some kind pretty soon.

I also agree that the photo could've just been an old event. But, come on; I have serious doubts about James being absent-minded enough to post something like that on the weekend of the ballot's last day and assume people wouldn't react given the timing.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253

They're probably waiting on Big House to end before they start tallying anything up and deciding.

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
I agree that we shouldn't be expecting another patch to be right around the corner with ballot DLC or anything, but with Nintendo being almost completely silent since June, considering that the closing of the ballot should obviously be an important event, you'd think we should at least get information of some kind pretty soon.
Agreed, but we shouldn't ask people outside of the Nintendo/Smash team for Smash info.

Last edited:

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
Oh God, who else is scared that Shantae will be super broken?

Hopefully she'll be crazy terrible and Rykker or me or some super devoted fan will take her to competitive using some crazy game specific easter-egg techs, like her head-hitbox with riskys pistol in pirates curse.

gb7zone7

Smash Apprentice
NNID
gb7zone7
Oh God, who else is scared that Shantae will be super broken?

Hopefully she'll be crazy terrible and Rykker or me or some super devoted fan will take her to competitive using some crazy game specific easter-egg techs, like her head-hitbox with riskys pistol in pirates curse.
Such a good fear to have.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Yes, Master Chief is the best example. Just because the ballot vaguely says "any videogame character" does not mean every video game character has a chance (unless you count 0.0000000001% as a chance). Master Chief would be a very, very stupid addition. In the end, this is Sakurai's game. Yes, he wants to please the fans, but he's not going to ruin his game with stupid characters to please us. No matter how much we want Ridley, Sakurai believes it's not good for the game, and so it's not happening.

Also, yes, you didn't say Shovel Knight was on top. This whole argument started when TheRickyWill said Shovel Knight had the same chances as Shantae and never gave anything to back up his argument.

Reply in spoilers again... (Warning to all other users, enter at your own risk, as it might be a tad long XD)
The heck?...... Can you not read or something?

If you had actually read my comment, you would have noticed this,:

"No. Master Chief wouldn't have been a better example >_>...

Though he is just as ridiculous as the others, he DID originate in video games. (Halo to be exact) So no. Goku is the primary example here. Some other examples that would apply here would be Shrek, Mickey Mouse, Naruto,... Basically anyone from media that is not gaming. (Anime, Manga, Cartoons, etc.) I find that funny to be honest. The ballot throughout the page heavily emphasizes the word Video game character, yet idiots still don't realize the characters they are voting for, whether serious or troll, are out of bounds."

Let me break it down, just in case you still didn't notice..:

Goku: Originated in Manga/Anime

Master Chief: Originated in Videogames

See the difference? In my reply to your comment when you first mentioned Goku, I strongly emphasized the fact Goku didn't originate in Video games.

"Actually we wouldn't have Goku from the ballot either way to be honest. Whether he got one vote, or a million... he didn't originate in video games"

Master Chief would not, could not, and CANNOT be a better example than Goku, because

A) He originated in Videogames. (Goku did not.)
B) He would completely break the sentence. (Would "Actually we wouldn't have Master Chief from the ballot either way to be honest. Whether he got one vote, or a million... he didn't originate in video games", when it's actually the exact opposite, make sense to you?..)

I did not say ANYTHING about Master Chief having a chance. I was not advocating Master Chief. He is the LAST character I want to see in the game. (Hence the "Though he is just as ridiculous as the others" bit up there). However I did not use him as an example, because he DID. NOT. FIT.

To be honest, "Stupid" is a very subjective term. What you think is stupid, and what I think is stupid, and what that guy over in Peru thinks is stupid, are completely different view points on stupid. For example, just because someone thinks Shantae is stupid, and thinks she would be the worst addition to the roster in history,... does that make it true?

If Ricky had said Shovel Knight has decent chances, but Shantae has better, would you have not commented? He obviously saw them as equals... and to be honest, I like Shovel Knight myself. I like Shantae as well. I like them both. In this ballot, I have prepared myself for anything. There is always a chance that a character I/we don't really like could get in... and really, there is nothing we can do about it. No detractions, downplaying, and trashing in the world will change that. Basically put, the world doesn't revolve around a single fan. Just because some of us may not say... like Rayman (I like him personally, but there are some that hate him), doesn't mean he shouldn't be in the game, and might not end up in through the ballot, once we get the results. In fact his fanbase would say otherwise... Basically put, Sakurai will consider the fighter, as long as they fit well, and can actually sell (and most of the big candidates would.. even Shovel), and as long as it applies to the ballot in the first place. Fan service is fan service. K. Rool would be DKC/Donkey Kong/K. Rool fan service, Rayman would be Rayman Fan service, Bandana Dee would be Kirby fan service... Sakurai isn't blind, he knows all of the campaigns in this have fanbases that would love to see the characters in the game, and want to play as em. If they are reasonable, I'm sure the team will give em a try. And, if they don't work out? Ok. That's fine. I doubt that would happen, as most of the big campaigns have plenty of material to work off of.. but you get the point.

Overall, that is what I intended about Sakurai being bound to the Ballot. This isn't like the pre-release work, where he was basically working off his own perspectives on who he thought should be in the game. This is a fighter ballot, for the fan base. The fans are a key factor in this this time around, and Sakurai can't just throw one of his off the wall ideas in, or scrape from the bottom of the barrel, as I stated earlier. Minus characters that did not originate in gaming, and characters that wouldn't sell well (Like Goku, Shrek, etc.), He'll have to consider the results of the ballot. He can't discard it, he can't look to the very bottom.. as that would delete the purpose of the whole thing in the first place.

All of this said, I am personally glad it's Sakurai at the head of this. If it were up to your average joe, the roster would be so bland and dry no one would even want to touch the game..

Anyway, back to what I was saying, as I digressed a bit.... no. Master Chief would not be a better example. Please learn to read a comment, or don't reply at all.. I tried being nice about it, but apparently I have to be blunt.

Anyway... Long reply is long aside, getting back on topic..

If Shantae does end up in, what do you think her Trailer will be like, if She even gets anything fancy? lol (As a lot of the DLC trailers haven't been quite as fancy as the pre-release stuff XD)

Last edited:

Damenshi

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo do something! The suspense is killing me!
You and me both. (Heck, probably just about everyone here.)
Especially considering that I recently heard the wonderful rumor that the entire ballot was an April Fool's joke.

I highly doubt this, but the sheer thought of it coupled with all this suspense is near murdering my soul.
I understand you probably have a lot going on, and I can respect that, but why are you still silent, Nintendo?!
Say words! Do a thing! Something!

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
If Shantae does end up in, what do you think her Trailer will be like, if She even gets anything fancy? lol (As a lot of the DLC trailers haven't been quite as fancy as the pre-release stuff XD)
I can see the trailer being similar to the HGH teaser where it shows Shantae's in the different sprites as silhouettes from the first 3 games then things going dark after the Pirate's Curse sprite where then we cut to see Zero Suit Samus fighting Zelda on Omega Battlefield then suddenly a fire ball blasts in front of them where Shantae appears as her Pirate's Curse sprite then suddenly Dancing Through the Danger plays as Shantae tranforms into 3D then turns to the screen stating " RET-2-GO !" bringing the Splash Art then cut to Shantae fighting the other DLC characters, and most of the other females of the roster as well showing off Scuttle Town as a stage with Risky as a stage boss using the Steam Powered Oceanic Tinker Tub to attack and lastly cutting to a shot of Shantae posing with the other 3rd parties and her final smash ending the trailer with a ending bit of her new 3D form bellydancing then stops and gives a wink to the viewer as she poofs away that's the best Shantae trailer I can think of

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg

leaving this here again

I'd probably hide my twitter too if the overreactive Smash fanbase clogged up my inbox.

Last edited:

SL the Pyro

Smash Apprentice

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg

let us a bid farewell to our favorite Zenox

because this game is hell and getting Curly Brace is torture

but completely worth it

rest in spaghetti

Top Bottom