• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Sakurai has the final say. Smash is HIS series. He came up with the idea and he came up with how the gameplay was going to be used. All the ballot is, is a way for Sakurai to know which are the top ten character we love. And from those top ten he will pick 3 that:
Makes sense
Will cause the less headache legal wise
And bring something new to Smash

That is all

GoldLiger October 2015

PS: Also is anyone have any problem with Freedom Planet? Just want to know.
Yes, that cutscene glitch is currently being fixed.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Speaking of Freedom Planet on Wii U, Quick!

Somebody tweet this drawing from GameFreakDX to GalaxyTrail (Steve DiDuro/Strife) and Matt Bozon to build hype
image.jpg

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
WHO HONESTLY CARES

At this point, we don't have any control over who gets in.

We just should just hope who we wanted gets in.

And if they don't? Doesn't matter. Tomorrow's another day.

Argument done. Nobody here needs to write an argumentive time magazine article over something as legitimately insignificant as fictional characters getting into a videogame. Yes, I'm addressing both of you.
I care--I honestly do, but not for the reasons you seem to think.
If there's anything I can do to try and help find the truth or make reparations for social harmony, then I'll do it.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Speaking of Freedom Planet on Wii U, Quick!

Somebody tweet this drawing from GameFreakDX to GalaxyTrail (Steve DiDuro/Strife) and Matt Bozon to build hypeView attachment 76673
Awesome picture! I've only played a bit of Freedom Planet, but I wonder how those two would get along.

As for the rumor of Shantae, Shovel Knight, and Waddle Dee...I kinda hope it's not true. As much as I love Shantae and as little attention as I give Shovel Knight...I just don't see Waddle Dee being a big enough character for Smash.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Awesome picture! I've only played a bit of Freedom Planet, but I wonder how those two would get along.

As for the rumor of Shantae, Shovel Knight, and Waddle Dee...I kinda hope it's not true. As much as I love Shantae and as little attention as I give Shovel Knight...I just don't see Waddle Dee being a big enough character for Smash.
Lilac and Shantae have similar personalities, so I'm sure they can get along. However, Shantae's more sassy while Lilac has more of a temper. Lilac also seems more mature, due to her tone of voice.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg

(It's somewhat weird fanart in my opinion, but it doesn't go over the edge, compared to the horror show that is the rest of google images. This would've made a pretty interesting part of the plot in Pirate's Curse though)

I can just barely hear Shantae say "Aye Aye, Cap'n..." in a somewhat drowsy/drunk tone of voice.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
View attachment 76700
(It's somewhat weird fanart in my opinion, but it doesn't go over the edge, compared to the horror show that is the rest of google images. This would've made a pretty interesting part of the plot in Pirate's Curse though)

I can just barely hear Shantae say "Aye Aye, Cap'n..." in a somewhat drowsy/drunk tone of voice.
If the artist was trying to be accurate to the source material, that gun wouldn't be that so high tech. Maybe steam powered or magic is more realistic.

But yeah, there's too many examples of people going too far/disturbing on a character/series with their fan art.

Just don't look up King K. Rool on Google images, for example

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
If the artist was trying to be accurate to the source material, that gun wouldn't be that so high tech. Maybe steam powered or magic is more realistic.

But yeah, there's too many examples of people going too far/disturbing on a character/series with their fan art.

Just don't look up King K. Rool on Google images, for example
i already made that mistake

just

just why

THAT IS WHY NINTENDO FLAGS PEOPLE ONLINE SO MUCH

Last edited:

DoctorSanity

Smash Journeyman
Even typing google images into google images is a mistake why would you willingly do that to yourself

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
image.jpg
If anything I'm one of the people in the unfortunately small group of Shantae-loving artists with an actual moral code

Heck, I don't sexualize the females I draw at all. I even have tame art of Felicia.

Last edited:

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Hey guys; Do you have a source to this Shovel Knight, Shantae, and Bandana Dee rumor? I keep hearing about it, but there's no actual links I've found that connect to it.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
Serell attempts a reductio ad absurdum, showing how the logic of 'whoever gets top ballot wins' mentality is false.

You attempt to point out a flaw in the reductio ad absurdum by 'either way,' in an appeal to the explicit ballot rules, however, it doesn't apply to what Serell means. We'll examine that a little more later.

Furthermore, Serell doesn't claim the decision to be entirely up to Sakurai, he merely said he makes the final decision.

You've acknowledged there are implicit rules to the ballot as well alongside the explicit rules such as 'video game character only.' Firstly, you say he can't pull a Sakurai (and while I may disagree with this on the basis of precedent such as Wii Fit Trainer and previous ballots / polls, it shows you know there can be implicit rules). Secondly, you acknowledge that Master Chief is as ridiculous as Goku.
In fact, you've entirely gotten Serell's general idea, and agreed with it, without realizing it.

Serell attempts (and doesn't do a good job at) clarifying here the implicit rules he meant: Being far outside of Nintendo, utterly unrelated, too adult, etc. are all unspoken rules.

Therefore, Master Chief's chances are equivalent to Goku's: they are logical impossibilities both, both absurd, both ridiculous, and neither will ever get into the game, no matter what the polls say.

Strangely, his end goal is to illustrate the point that Sakurai abides by implicit rules.
Oddly, your other goal was to illustrate that Sakurai abides by this one explicit rule.
In the end, somewhat unrelated to our misunderstanding, this explicit rules doesn't contradict the implicit ones Serell speaks of.

Nobody is stupid enough to think that Master Chief would be a better substitute to your sentence structurally, or to your meaning in that particular sentence. It's apparent to everyone that would be implicitly contradictory to what you're saying--something like saying that square circles can exist, they deny each other by their nature. Everyone knows what you're saying about Goku, nobody denies it, not even Serell.

Serell means something entirely differently than what you think.

Again, your tautology is correct: Master Chief wouldn't fit into that sentence, but, again, Serell isn't meaning to replace Master Chief in that particular sentence.

Serell means to replace his initial comment on Goku, the first one quoted in this post, with Master Chief, not your criticism of his initial statement.

And this is the crux of the matter. Unwitting to the intention of the other, there was the thought that the other was responding to one's own points rather than the other's own. One was talking at, not with.

This interpretation of events is the most likely accurate one if we are to believe Serell can do the basic logic all humans think by, and that misunderstandings are indeed a common feature of human interaction.
No. Just stop. Halt the twisting, halt the logic-mind games. Stop.

I don't care how much you try to twist it, just stop. I rest on what I said. You're just trying to twist things around more to keep the argument going. You're causing discord, not harmony..

Enough is enough already -_-... I'm sick of the topic, and to be honest, it's only derailing the thread. To both of you, both you and Serrell (whenever he sees this), Just DROP IT. I am not addressing your logic (neither your logic, or Serrell's) any more. I've already made my point, and it has already sunk in. I'm not talking to brick walls.

Last edited:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
No. Just stop. Halt the twisting, halt the logic-mind games. Stop.

I don't care how much you try to twist it, just stop. I rest on what I said. You're just trying to twist things around more to keep the argument going. You're causing discord, not harmony..

Enough is enough already -_-... I'm sick of the topic, and to be honest, it's only derailing the thread. To both of you, both you and Serrell (whenever he sees this), Just DROP IT. I am not addressing your logic (neither your logic, or Serrell's) any more. I've already made my point, and it has already sunk in. I'm not talking to brick walls.
I grant I wasn't the most charitable in my words a few posts ago (I wasn't being tactful, was too blunt and maybe mean), and I didn't apologize for it. It probably got in the way of looking at things from an entirely calm perspective too. Forgive me, I pray.
I'll maintain the more innocent of the claims, however. You misunderstood Serell and I, through our fault, yes, because we didn't bother explaining things sufficiently (until, I'd think, that long post you've quoted).
But, if truth comes at the cost of harmony, then so be it.

How Sakurai, the ballot, and the rules (both implicit and explicit) interact is relevant to all character threads, though. I wouldn't consider it off topic in the slightest. Besides, it's just a few of us, a side discussion.
If I'm a brick wall, then I'm no sturdy one; I find holes in myself all the time, and sometimes I need help because I miss a few.
I hope you'd try to point out where I'm in intellectual error, where those holes are, if they be there.

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
The DLC Character Discussion sticky brought it up as well, someone saw it on NeoGAF.

Thing is, I'm skeptical; whatever the video is (and maybe it's just a placeholder), do we know when exactly it appeared? Was it there before?

Last edited:

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I grant I wasn't the most charitable in my words a few posts ago (I wasn't being tactful, was too blunt and maybe mean), and I didn't apologize for it. It probably got in the way of looking at things from an entirely calm perspective too. Forgive me, I pray.
I'll maintain the more innocent of the claims, however. You misunderstood Serell and I, through our fault, yes, because we didn't bother explaining things sufficiently (until, I'd think, that long post you've quoted).
But, if truth comes at the cost of harmony, then so be it.

How Sakurai, the ballot, and the rules (both implicit and explicit) interact is relevant to all character threads, though. I wouldn't consider it off topic in the slightest. Besides, it's just a few of us, a side discussion.
If I'm a brick wall, then I'm no sturdy one; I find holes in myself all the time, and sometimes I need help because I miss a few.
I hope you'd try to point out where I'm in intellectual error, where those holes are, if they be there.
I stated it was derailing the thread, as it was getting out of hand.

It's fine to dwell off topic a bit (and I have done it on occasions myself). However when it starts to drag on over four or five pages, it's time to wind things down. I'd love to move on and converse on more things Shantae. I'm just tired of this discussion already.. lol

I hope I didn't sound harsh in my own posts either. When someone appears to be misreading what I am saying (twice, mind you), I tend to get a bit irritable, and drop my patient, more relaxed demeanor. Forgive and forget everyone?...

Anyways........

In related news, the K. Rool thread discovered a private video in the SSB playlist.

Source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro6XBhHUOFg&list=PL2JiZAV5BmDWBhiSAxx6WR5sle9fhPHgV&index=13
Now THAT is interesting.

Serell

Smash Apprentice
I honestly can't make sense of the argument and have no clue what you're trying to say, Magic Rykker. The whole thing started when it was brought up that Shovel Knight had equal chances to Shantae. I tried to refute that. If you believe Shantae has better chances than Shovel Knight, there is no reason to argue with me. If you believe Shovel Knight has the same or better chances than Shantae, then bring some valid arguments as to why you think Shovel Knight has good chances. It all boils down to that.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
I honestly can't make sense of the argument and have no clue what you're trying to say, Magic Rykker. The whole thing started when it was brought up that Shovel Knight had equal chances to Shantae. I tried to refute that. If you believe Shantae has better chances than Shovel Knight, there is no reason to argue with me. If you believe Shovel Knight has the same or better chances than Shantae, then bring some valid arguments as to why you think Shovel Knight has good chances. It all boils down to that.
Well, I'm at least glad this has all died down. Anyway, personally to be completely honest, on my own standpoint, I think Shovel has decent chances at best. I do think Shantae has more stacked in her favour though, at least.

To be honest guys, whether she wins or not, the ballot helped her one way or another. It exposed her to a lot more people than would be otherwise (infact, the very reason I myself looked into Shantae in the first place, was when I noticed her campaign here on Smashboards, back near the start of the ballot!... I had heard the name flung around before in the past, but had never truly looked into her in more depth.. Needless to say, I fell in love XD)

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Funny an-wait your the artist of Level 30 Psychiatry ? I've been reading it for sometime you have a very nice art style if you don't mind me sayin'
No, I'm not the artist, just the writer.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
How would you respond to this hypothetical indie pack (which by all accounts is probably not going to happen, well, parts of it aren't, but still)
Shantae - Playable character
Shovel Knight Mii Swordfighter Costume (A Western born indie)
Quote/Reimu Hakurei Mii Gunner costume (A Japanese born indie)

But one thing which I might want to bring up which I feel would be quite important for Shantae, what do you think her stage should be? Scuttle Town? ...Yeah, I feel this is somewhat self-explanatory, given that she's the one who protects it in the first place...

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
How would you respond to this hypothetical indie pack (which by all accounts is probably not going to happen, well, parts of it aren't, but still)

But one thing which I might want to bring up which I feel would be quite important for Shantae, what do you think her stage should be? Scuttle Town? ...Yeah, I feel this is somewhat self-explanatory, given that she's the one who protects it in the first place...
Honestly Scuttle Town is the only iconic place from the Shantae series I mean it's where EVERY Shantae game starts at but the only other stage I can think of is at top the palace from the Final Boss of Pirate's Curse with the Pirate Master being a stage hazard, as for the Indie Pack honestly I can see that working I hope it isn't much longer until the ballot results are reveiled the waiting is killing me >.>

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Throw in Patricia Wagon as an Assist Trophy and I'm sold, and I'm hoping for Shantae's Lighthouse has her stage, along with Risky Boots in her Tinkertub as a stage boss

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I find it odd how quiet Wayforward is about Half-Genie Hero.

Remember that skeleton warrior enemy shown in the really early updates?

In the Nintendo Enthusiast Wayforward tour, we saw a snippet of an animator moving it's sword.

There's also a very short snippet of a bat's animation.

And that's all we'll ever see of them until the game comes out.

But it's fine, as less stuff is spoiled. I also hear that ol' Kaufman's already done a ton of music for the game's soundtrack (which we only hear 5 songs of)

Last edited:

conTAgi0n

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 1668 7817 3192
An update for you all, in case you haven't seen yet: English language ballot page is officially closed now too: https://cp.nintendo.co.jp/us/

Also patch 1.1.2 is coming very soon, but it sounds like it's just to fix the Diddy glitch, so despite the ballot being officially closed, it seems likely that we won't hear anything for a while.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
It turns out that the private video does have a title. "Set sail for a fight."

call Etika.

Cuz King K. Rool & the Pirate's Curse is coming

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
So I hear the ballot for America is FINALLY closed. Well now we need to wait.

In other news: Skull Kid is coming to Hyrule Warriors Legends as a playable character with Phantom Ganon as a boss character.

Top Bottom