• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
View attachment 76621
let us a bid farewell to our favorite Zenox

because this game is hell and getting Curly Brace is torture

but completely worth it

rest in spaghetti
Ah the quest to unlock the character you want but is very difficult always love/hated that method to unlock a character in games makes it more worth while but rest in pasta Zenox your efforts will not be forgotten

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Ah the quest to unlock the character you want but is very difficult always love/hated that method to unlock a character in games makes it more worth while but rest in pasta Zenox your efforts will not be forgotten
Especially when it's 100%ing the first 30 stages of the main campaign with the default character

(Getting those Gold Skulls ain't fun)

Last edited:

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
Especially when it's 100%ing the first 30 stages of the main campaign with the default character

(Getting those Gold Skulls ain't fun)
Yikes reminds me of when I finally beaten Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on 100% and unlocked Pirate Mode sadly, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is the ONLY Shantae game I beaten as I've never played the original (yet) and the last bit of Risky's Revenge wasn't easy and confusing plus there weren't any walkthroughs for the game back then

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Yikes reminds me of when I finally beaten Shantae and the Pirate's Curse on 100% and unlocked Pirate Mode sadly, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is the ONLY Shantae game I beaten as I've never played the original (yet) and the last bit of Risky's Revenge wasn't easy and confusing plus there weren't any walkthroughs for the game back then
1001 Spikes is basically a somewhat easier version of I wanna be the guy, with multiplayer, no checkpoints, a set amount of lives, and more content.

So IWBTG but kinda fun

Last edited:

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/10/05/sakuraithirdparty/

Obviously, this article shouldn't be interpreted as law. But I was feeling more and more uneasy as I read through it. Though aside from being a little worried about my requested character, I had to wonder; ... Okay then, exactly what feasible, "iconic" third-party characters are left, as of the three this game added? Because I can't think of any, outside of cases where the character just could not work because of either copyright or content.

Examples: Lara Croft (Either one is too adult: either her old, busty version with multiple guns, or her rebooted version which would be way too grimdark for a Nintendo game; frankly, I wouldn't want to encourage kids to play the Tomb Raider reboot or the upcoming Rise of the Tomb Raider), Duke Nukem (... Do I really even need to explain this one?), Master Chief, and so on.

Of course, Sourcegaming being the... oh-so-professional site that it is, they didn't seem to bother with giving any sense of exactly when this interview took place. It's a follow-up article, but there's no link back to the first one as far as I can tell. I think I remember reading it, but I'm not going to go digging for the page right now.

Here's what stood out, though: "At any rate, there will probably only be one or two more [third-parties].”

Now, it's possible Sakurai talked about this before the ballot was planned, it probably had to have come after Pac-Man's reveal (leaving the question of Ryu... he was DLC, but was always intended to make it in). But this might be unfavorable news if it's true.

Ugh... Honestly guys, it pains me to say it and I hope I'm wrong, but my prediction is that Rayman might be the only third-party to be chosen from the ballot. Unless they possibly go for a second Sonic character, Tails or Knuckles.

But as for one last thing, I guess there's still this:

We do know that Heihachi was considered for Smash for Wii U, which might indicate that some “rules” we thought existed (e.g. strong association with Nintendo, overwhelmingly iconic) might not actually be true.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
So I hear that the Japan Ballot is officially closed. What about those outside of Japan?

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
The Fighter Ballot link on the US/NA website disappeared since this morning.

... However, I just discovered you can still get to the ballot page by another way. But it doesn't really matter.

Last edited:

goatman2112

Smash Rookie
Hi, this is my first post here and the reason I made an account. No matter what happens, I'm excited to see the community around Shantae grown thanks to the ballot. It's been great interacting with other people who the same way I do about this little indie series. Being optimistic but either way it's been a good ride.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
As long as I get K. Rool, I'm happy.

Wait- Tekken isn't iconic?
Tekken is the iconic 3D fighter but Sakurai already mentioned trying and failing to do Heitchi. (Always get that name wrong.) Though for allthe crap I give it, I liked him in PSASBR.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So here are the three rumored characters;

Shovel Knight
Bandana Dee
Shantae

The major thing to point out about the rumors is that there are a lot of indies.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
So here are the three rumored characters;

Shovel Knight
Bandana Dee
Shantae

The major thing to point out about the rumors is that there are a lot of indies.
k rool tho

Tekken is the iconic 3D fighter but Sakurai already mentioned trying and failing to do Heitchi. (Always get that name wrong.) Though for allthe crap I give it, I liked him in PSASBR.
Heiachi.

You were extremely close.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
If Nintendo were to honestly pick between the 4 big "Nindies", Shantae, Shovel Knight, Quote/Curly Brace, and CommanderVideo, for Smash...

Quote/Curly or Shantae would most likely be picked.

Shantae for "muh nintendo affiliation and legacy" reasons, and I think Cave Story is pretty iconic if it got remade twice.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
I wonder how long we will have to wait for news on the whole Ballot situation?

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Though he is just as ridiculous as the others, he DID originate in video games.
You seem to be completely misunderstanding why Serell switched to Master Chief.
The usage of Master Chief is an attempt to demonstrate to you how ridiculous the notion of the poll being ultra-important is to the extent you were saying earlier.
It's the same thing as my Ridley analogy.

Listen, I support Shantae, but I'm starting to agree that speculation / pushing for a character brings out the most ridiculous logic or desperation from fanbois. Please take a step back instead of always interpreting things in a way that gives you a perceived upper hand in argument.
Unless I'm the one that's completely off.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Sakurai, his team, and Nintendo are going to decide between the top choices the ballot that are eligible in their eyes, and choose a select few to be in the game.

Argument over.

Last edited:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Sakurai, his team, and Nintendo are going to decide between the top choices the ballot that are eligible in their eyes, and choose a select few to be in the game.

Argument over.
Dude, no. STOP MAKING SENSE.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Argument over.
In unrelated news, a man by the name of "TheRickyWill" was forced to go into hiding by rabbit fans for making too much sense and for being realistic. Details at 11.

On topic, what if the next Nintendo Direct had a release date for Shantae Half-Genie Hero followed by a Smash trailer?

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
We haven't had any Nintendo Direct's since Mr. Iwata's passing. Probably we won't see one for at least a whole year after his passing.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
We haven't had any Nintendo Direct's since Mr. Iwata's passing. Probably we won't see one for at least a whole year after his passing.
Nintendo has a job opening for people to edit video for Nintendo direct, so I doubt that.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I know that there more than likely won't be any directs for a while, I was just dreaming.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard

Argument over.
I'd prefer we don't refer to these as arguments, implying winners and losers and all the emotional investment of them, rather I'd call them civil discussions.

However, you must acknowledge there is a possibility that they will choose someone not at the top of the ballot (see Sakurai's justification for Wii Fit Trainer) as well as rejecting a number of ones at the top (See, Sakurai in reference to Ridley), therefore 'are going to' is a bit strong despite being the most likely outcome.

If there's a distinction or clarification to be made, it must be made, no matter how subtle.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Yes, we know.

You're right.

We get it.

Even if you forgetting my "eligible in the eyes of Sakurai's team and Nintendo" point and Sakurai saying that the next DLC characters are going to be "fanservice", which will most likely be based on the ballot.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
You seem to be completely misunderstanding why Serell switched to Master Chief.
The usage of Master Chief is an attempt to demonstrate to you how ridiculous the notion of the poll being ultra-important is to the extent you were saying earlier.
It's the same thing as my Ridley analogy.
...*Takes off his glasses, cleans them, and puts them back on*

Oh, ok good, so I am reading this right.

..Please, don't tell me you just tried to twist things around... Me? I'M the one misunderstanding here?... Let me try to break it down, just to so everyone gets it..

Reply is in spoilers below
Alright, lets go back to the post where this all started, so we can settle this, and shut up about it, as I am getting sick of addressing it. The post I first replied to was this:

Sakurai makes the final decision. He's not going to pick a character just because they're popular. Otherwise we'd have Goku in Smash. You obviously have no good arguments if all you will say is "argument over."
In the first half of my comment, I wanted to address the fact that Goku didn't originate in Video Games. One of the few apparent rules of the ballot, is that the character has to be a video game character. (Hence how the term "Video Game Character" and "Favorite Video Game Character" were thrown around several times throughout the ballot page. Add the fact that it asks for the video game they originated from, and it's even more obvious.)

Thus, at the very beginning of the reply, I say this "Actually we wouldn't have Goku from the ballot either way to be honest. Whether he got one vote, or a million... he didn't originate in video games."

The reply he gave, "Master Chief would've been a better example. I'm sure tons of idiots are voting for him along with Goku. And no, Sakurai is...-" was contradictory to what I was saying. Notice how he words this. Not only does this try to switch in a character that doesn't fit the point (Goku originated in Manga/Anime, Master Chief originated in Video games), He even lumps the character with Goku. Look... I understand people consider Master Chief a troll character. I get this. However, I was specifically replying to his mentioning of Goku. Master Chief did not ONCE cross my mind, and would not have crossed my mind, as it would completely delete the purpose of what I was stating about Goku.

For that matter.. why would Master Chief be a better example at this point? I was specifically replying to the bit where he mentioned Goku. I was addressing Goku. Master Chief was not mentioned at any point during that first comment I had replied too, it was Goku that he had brought up. So, it was Goku that I addressed.. fairly simple.

Thus, I replied, trying to remedy the error, in a polite manner, "No. Master Chief wouldn't have been a better example >_>...

Though he is just as ridiculous as the others, he DID originate in video games. (Halo to be exact) So no. Goku is the primary example here. Some other examples that would apply here would be Shrek, Mickey Mouse, Naruto,... Basically anyone from media that is not gaming. (Anime, Manga, Cartoons, etc.) I find that funny to be honest. The ballot throughout the page heavily emphasizes the word Video game character, yet idiots still don't realize the characters they are voting for, whether serious or troll, are out of bounds."

The point is, Goku applied to the point I was trying to make. Master Chief did not. Of course, he didn't catch what I was saying apparently, as he then replied

"Yes, Master Chief is the best example. Just because the ballot vaguely says "any videogame character" does not mean every video game character has a chance (unless you count 0.0000000001% as a chance). Master Chief would be a very, very stupid addition. In the end, this is Sakurai's game. Yes, he wants to please the fans, but he's not going to ruin his game with stupid characters to please us. No matter how much we want Ridley, Sakurai believes it's not good for the game, and so it's not happening."

He misread. What I said. Plain and simple. How he misread it:

Apparently, he thought I was advocating for Master Chief for some reason, as he thought the any videogame character meant I was giving some sort of justification for him.. Let me bold it, so you can see what I mean:

"Yes, Master Chief is the best example. Just because the ballot vaguely says "any videogame character" does not mean every video game character has a chance (unless you count 0.0000000001% as a chance). Master Chief would be a very, very stupid addition."

Again, that was not the point I was trying to make. Goku, is the primary example, because,.... and I am only going to say this, one more time, so everyone that still doesn't understand it (I'm sure most of you here do, but apparently some don't), will get it through to their brain...:

Goku IS the primary example of my comment, because he ORIGINATED OUTSIDE OF GAMING. Other characters that apply to this, (I'll list more just to make it more obvious.. ( obviously not all of these are campaigned, as they are obscure troll entries, but..)) are Shrek, Mickey Mouse, Naruto, Dora the Explorer, Spongebob, Timmy Turner, Thomas the Tank.... do I need to list any more, or do you get it now?

Master Chief, can't be lumped with this group, despite being somewhat of a troll character himself, because he originated in VIDEO GAMES.

There, I'm done. I am not addressing that any further. If Serrell doesn't understand at this point, I am not stressing it any further, I am just simply ignoring him.

Listen, I support Shantae, but I'm starting to agree that speculation / pushing for a character brings out the most ridiculous logic or desperation from fanbois. Please take a step back instead of always interpreting things in a way that gives you a perceived upper hand in argument. Unless I'm the one that's completely off.
What the heck are you even talking about?... I've already stressed why Master Chief did not, could not, and will not apply to that comment, so I won't stretch that any further...

It's funny really. This garbage ONLY starts up whenever a character not related to the thread in question is, or appears to be held up in any way. Everyone suddenly gets butthurt, and has to come up with some reason why "their chances are low", and why they are "a stupid character"..

What I was stating about the ballot is not "ridiculous logic". In fact, it's pretty simple logic to take in. As I stated, we do not know who is going to come out of this ballot. There were more than likely millions upon millions of votes put into the ballot over the course of these five months. Dozens and dozens of fanbases put in their input. Hundreds of video game characters both big and small were put into this. We do not know who we are going to get... and all of the trashing and downplaying in the world won't change that, or shrink the long list Sakurai has obtained from the ballot.

I get why people want to downplay characters. I get why people try to downplay Shantae. As I've stated, it's only fear. That simple. The fear that a character they don't know, or can't stand could get in over their solid gold, perfectly unblemished, favorite video game character. That's it. The whole reason people even wanted to trash other characters that could become fighters/trashed them even more once the ballot started, was to try to lessen their impact. Try to discourage their fans from rooting for them, and in the case of the ballot, voting for them, and possibly getting them in over their favorite character/s.

I get it. Sakurai picks the characters from the ballot... but he is limited to the ballot.. and really, he only needs the ballot. Why would he need to go outside of it? There is plenty of material. If the ballot were really not that important... again, why didn't they just throw in a few vets, and K. Rool, and call it a day? If it's really not that big of a deal.. there was no reason to even start it in the first place.....

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
...*Takes off his glasses, cleans them, and puts them back on*

Oh, ok good, so I am reading this right.

..Please, don't tell me you just tried to twist things around... Me? I'M the one misunderstanding here?... Let me try to break it down, just to so everyone gets it..

Reply is in spoilers below
Alright, lets go back to the post where this all started, so we can settle this, and shut up about it, as I am getting sick of addressing it. The post I first replied too was this:

In the first half of my comment, I wanted to address the fact that Goku didn't originate in Video Games. One of the few apparent rules of the ballot, is that the character has to be a video game character. (Hence how the term "Video Game Character" and "Favorite Video Game Character" were thrown around several times throughout the ballot page. Add the fact that it asks for the video game they originated from, and it's even more obvious.)

Thus, at the very beginning of the reply, I say this "Actually we wouldn't have Goku from the ballot either way to be honest. Whether he got one vote, or a million... he didn't originate in video games."

The reply he gave, "Master Chief would've been a better example. I'm sure tons of idiots are voting for him along with Goku. And no, Sakurai is...-" was contradictory to what I was saying. Notice how he words this. Not only does this try to switch in a character that doesn't fit the point (Goku originated in Manga/Anime, Master Chief originated in Video games), He even lumps the character with Goku. Look... I understand people consider Master Chief a troll character. I get this. However, I was specifically replying to his mentioning of Goku. Master Chief did not ONCE cross my mind, and would not have crossed my mind, as it would completely delete the purpose of what I was stating about Goku.

For that matter.. why would Master Chief be a better example at this point? I was specifically replying to the bit where he mentioned Goku. I was addressing Goku. Master Chief was not mentioned at any point during that first comment I had replied too, it was Goku that he had brought up. So, it was Goku that I addressed.. fairly simple.

Thus, I replied, trying to remedy the error, in a polite manner, "No. Master Chief wouldn't have been a better example >_>...

Though he is just as ridiculous as the others, he DID originate in video games. (Halo to be exact) So no. Goku is the primary example here. Some other examples that would apply here would be Shrek, Mickey Mouse, Naruto,... Basically anyone from media that is not gaming. (Anime, Manga, Cartoons, etc.) I find that funny to be honest. The ballot throughout the page heavily emphasizes the word Video game character, yet idiots still don't realize the characters they are voting for, whether serious or troll, are out of bounds."

The point is, Goku applied to the point I was trying to make. Master Chief did not. Of course, he didn't catch what I was saying apparently, as he then replied

"Yes, Master Chief is the best example. Just because the ballot vaguely says "any videogame character" does not mean every video game character has a chance (unless you count 0.0000000001% as a chance). Master Chief would be a very, very stupid addition. In the end, this is Sakurai's game. Yes, he wants to please the fans, but he's not going to ruin his game with stupid characters to please us. No matter how much we want Ridley, Sakurai believes it's not good for the game, and so it's not happening."

He misread. What I said. Plain and simple. How he misread it:

Apparently, he thought I was advocating for Master Chief for some reason, as he though the any videogame character meant I was giving some sort of justification for him.. Let me bold it, so you can see what I mean:

"Yes, Master Chief is the best example. Just because the ballot vaguely says "any videogame character" does not mean every video game character has a chance (unless you count 0.0000000001% as a chance). Master Chief would be a very, very stupid addition."

Again, that was not the point I was trying to make. Goku, is the primary example, because,.... and I am only going to say this, one more time, so everyone that still doesn't understand it (I'm sure most of you here do, but apparently some don't), will get it through to their brain...:

Goku IS the primary example of my comment, because he ORIGINATED OUTSIDE OF GAMING. Other characters that apply to this, (I'll list more just to make it more obvious.. ( obviously not all of these are campaigned, as they are obscure troll entries, but..)) are Shrek, Mickey Mouse, Naruto, Dora the Explorer, Spongebob, Timmy Turner, Thomas the Tank.... do I need to list any more, or do you get it now?

Master Chief, can't be lumped with this group, despite being somewhat of a troll character himself, because he originated in VIDEO GAMES.

There, I'm done. I am not addressing that any further. If Serrell doesn't understand at this point, I am not stressing it any further, I am just simply ignoring him.

What the heck are you even talking about?... I've already stressed why Master Chief did not, could not, and will not apply to that comment, so I won't stretch that any further...

It's funny really. This garbage ONLY starts up whenever a character not related to the thread in question is, or appears to be held up in any way. Everyone suddenly gets butthurt, and has to come up with some reason why "their chances are low", and why they are "a stupid character"..

It's not "ridiculous logic". In fact, it's pretty simple logic to take in. As I stated, we do not know who is going to come out of this ballot. There were more than likely millions upon millions of votes put into the ballot over the course of these five months. Dozens and dozens of fanbases put in their input. Hundreds of video game characters both big and small were put into this. We do not know who we are going to get... and all of the trashing and downplaying in the world won't change that, or shrink the long list Sakurai has obtained from the ballot.

I get why people want to downplay characters. I get why people try to downplay Shantae. As I've stated, it's only fear. That simple. The fear that a character they don't know, or can't stand could get in over their solid gold, perfectly unblemished, favorite video game character. That's it. The whole reason people even wanted to trash other characters that could become fighters/trashed them even more once the ballot started, was to try to lesson their impact. Try to discourage their fans from rooting for them, and in the case of the ballot, voting for them, and possibly getting them in over their favorite character/s.

I get it. Sakurai picks the characters, here... but he is limited to the ballot.. and really, he only needs the ballot. Why would he need to go outside of it? There is plenty of material. If the ballot were really not that important... again, why didn't they just throw in a few vets, and K. Rool, and call it a day? If it's really not that big of a deal.. there was no reason to even start it in the first place.....
There's honestly no point in arguing with this person anymore, Rykker. They keep twisting things around or misinterpiting them entirely.

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
There's honestly no point in arguing with this person anymore, Rykker. They keep twisting things around or misinterpiting them entirely.
I was addressing Mr. Monk this time around. I wanted to at least try to explain it to him.

Hey. If they don't get it at this point, that's fine. I'm not going to try to argue with a brick wall.

My point still stands on everything that I've said on the ballot. We need to prepare for anything at this point.. as we have no clue who exactly will be pulled from the results. Personally, I hope one of those fighters pulled is Shantae. Of course, I won't cry if it just so happens to be another popular/campaigned contender. (one of the fellows that "has little chance") If it's someone I dislike, I'll probably just sigh a bit, and then go about my day. It's not the end of the world, like many try to make it out to be.

Anyways, I really am looking forward to the results at this point. I'm sure some really cool characters will be pulled.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
The only ones I can see Sakurai pick as the top five are:
King K. Rool
Wolf
Shantae
Shovel Knight
Krystal

So now Sakurai would probably have to pic 3 out of those 5.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
In other news for indie stuffs, Cave Story got a 3DS release in Japan, thanks to Pikii. Bit Trip Runner 2 did, too (Both of them took too long to arrive, personally.)

image.jpg
image.jpg

I really like their art.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I just want a 4 player platforming game with RPG elements starring the Indie Game girl team of Shantae, Curly Brace, Lilac, and Reimu Hakurei. It would be released on all current-gen consoles and PC, developed by Inti Creates. Matt Bozon, Jun'Ya Ota (ZUN), Daisuke Amaya (Pixel), and Stevie DiDuro (from Galaxytrails) each having a significant amount of input in the project.

And it will be fantastic.

I can dream.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I just finished the original Shantae and Risky's Revenge (+ Pirate's Curse way before) and man, these games are great, can't wait for Half-Genie Hero! Super glad I did cast a vote for Shantae when I had the chance.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Also the second round is coming up with the TOP 10 characters from those 3 polls that had the most votes.

GP2

Smash Apprentice
The only ones I can see Sakurai pick as the top five are:
King K. Rool
Wolf
Shantae
Shovel Knight
Krystal

So now Sakurai would probably have to pic 3 out of those 5.
I feel the same except I would switch K. Rool with Issac

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Sakurai makes the final decision. He's not going to pick a character just because they're popular. Otherwise we'd have Goku in Smash. You obviously have no good arguments if all you will say is "argument over."
Serell attempts a reductio ad absurdum, showing how the logic of 'whoever gets top ballot wins' mentality is false.

Actually we wouldn't have Goku from the ballot either way to be honest. Whether he got one vote, or a million... he didn't originate in video games.

And Ricky is right about the ballot being the deciding factor in this... if it were "just" up to Sakurai, there would be no point in all of this in the first place >_>...
You attempt to point out a flaw in the reductio ad absurdum by 'either way,' in an appeal to the explicit ballot rules, however, it doesn't apply to what Serell means. We'll examine that a little more later.

Furthermore, Serell doesn't claim the decision to be entirely up to Sakurai, he merely said he makes the final decision.

Master Chief would've been a better example. I'm sure tons of idiots are voting for him along with Goku.
... however if he were to try to pull a Sakurai and pull an low demand character(an off the wall character), the fans would call foul, and things would get hairy. (and for that matter, it would sit in the DLC shop gathering dust.. which I doubt Nintendo would be a fan of.)

So I guess you were right in that point. It's a significant factor, and there are several factors going into play here. (The Ballot, Sakurai, Fan service, Which ones would gain sufficient profit, etc.) Also, thanks for the link! Was an interesting read. ^_^

... Though he is just as ridiculous as the others, he DID originate in video games... The ballot throughout the page heavily emphasizes the word Video game character, yet idiots still don't realize the characters they are voting for, whether serious or troll, are out of bounds.
You've acknowledged there are implicit rules to the ballot as well alongside the explicit rules such as 'video game character only.' Firstly, you say he can't pull a Sakurai (and while I may disagree with this on the basis of precedent such as Wii Fit Trainer and previous ballots / polls, it shows you know there can be implicit rules). Secondly, you acknowledge that Master Chief is as ridiculous as Goku.
In fact, you've entirely gotten Serell's general idea, and agreed with it, without realizing it.

Yes, Master Chief is the best example. Just because the ballot vaguely says "any videogame character" does not mean every video game character has a chance (unless you count 0.0000000001% as a chance). Master Chief would be a very, very stupid addition. In the end, this is Sakurai's game. Yes, he wants to please the fans, but he's not going to ruin his game with stupid characters to please us. No matter how much we want Ridley, Sakurai believes it's not good for the game, and so it's not happening.
Serell attempts (and doesn't do a good job at) clarifying here the implicit rules he meant: Being far outside of Nintendo, utterly unrelated, too adult, etc. are all unspoken rules.

Therefore, Master Chief's chances are equivalent to Goku's: they are logical impossibilities both, both absurd, both ridiculous, and neither will ever get into the game, no matter what the polls say.

Strangely, his end goal is to illustrate the point that Sakurai abides by implicit rules.
Oddly, your other goal was to illustrate that Sakurai abides by this one explicit rule.
In the end, somewhat unrelated to our misunderstanding, this explicit rules doesn't contradict the implicit ones Serell speaks of.

The heck?...... Can you not read or something?

If you had actually read my comment, you would have noticed this,:

"No. Master Chief wouldn't have been a better example >_>...

Though he is just as ridiculous as the others, he DID originate in video games. (Halo to be exact) So no. Goku is the primary example here.

Master Chief would not, could not, and CANNOT be a better example than Goku, because

A) He originated in Videogames. (Goku did not.)
B) He would completely break the sentence. (Would "Actually we wouldn't have Master Chief from the ballot either way to be honest. Whether he got one vote, or a million... he didn't originate in video games", when it's actually the exact opposite, make sense to you?..)
..Please, don't tell me you just tried to twist things around... Me? I'M the one misunderstanding here?... Let me try to break it down, just to so everyone gets it...

Nobody is stupid enough to think that Master Chief would be a better substitute to your sentence structurally, or to your meaning in that particular sentence. It's apparent to everyone that would be implicitly contradictory to what you're saying--something like saying that square circles can exist, they deny each other by their nature. Everyone knows what you're saying about Goku, nobody denies it, not even Serell.

Serell means something entirely differently than what you think.

Again, your tautology is correct: Master Chief wouldn't fit into that sentence, but, again, Serell isn't meaning to replace Master Chief in that particular sentence.

Serell means to replace his initial comment on Goku, the first one quoted in this post, with Master Chief, not your criticism of his initial statement.

And this is the crux of the matter. Unwitting to the intention of the other, there was the thought that the other was responding to one's own points rather than the other's own. One was talking at, not with.

This interpretation of events is the most likely accurate one if we are to believe Serell can do the basic logic all humans think by, and that misunderstandings are indeed a common feature of human interaction.

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
WHO HONESTLY CARES

At this point, we don't have any control over who gets in.

We just should just hope who we wanted gets in.

And if they don't? Doesn't matter. Tomorrow's another day.

Argument done. Nobody here needs to write an argumentive time magazine article over something as legitimately insignificant as fictional characters getting into a videogame. Yes, I'm addressing both of you.

Last edited:

GoldLiger

Smash Lord
NNID
Liger or Liger0X
3DS FC
3067-6321-9519
Switch FC
SW 7220 7680 7239
Sakurai has the final say. Smash is HIS series. He came up with the idea and he came up with how the gameplay was going to be used. All the ballot is, is a way for Sakurai to know which are the top ten character we love. And from those top ten he will pick 3 that:
Makes sense
Will cause the less headache legal wise
And bring something new to Smash

That is all

GoldLiger October 2015

PS: Also is anyone have any problem with Freedom Planet? Just want to know.

Top Bottom