• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

Manic Rykker

Smash Lord
When Bowser Jr., Rosalina, and Dr. Mario were added, everyone complained about there being too many Mario characters.

Yet everyone wants Waluigi and Daisy.

When Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario were revealed, everyone complained that there's too many clones.

Yet people want Lucas, Wolf, Roy, and Pichu back.

The Smash fanbase is so biased that it hurts.
It's not that everyone's biased, it's just the fact that we aren't a single hivemind.

There are many side groups that have different views.

In terms of Waluigi/Daisy, there are players that actually like/are fans of those characters, and would love to see them fight in the game. To be honest, the "Too many mario characters" is just used as leverage... In other words, a "I don't want to see these sort of characters as they would get in over <insert character they like here>"... It's mostly a fact that something they feel is largely in the game already is showing up their fan favorite.

In terms of Lucas, Wolf, Roy, and Pichu, even these are understandable. While I am not a particular fan of clones myself, There are players that are fans of these characters, and really liked them when they were in the game. Considering two of them are already back as pre-ballot DLC, Sakurai obviously understands this.

People don't like "clones", because they feel that through some magical process, they steal the slot of a character they prefer.. when in reality, they are filler. They take considerably less dev time to produce than a full on fighter.. Thus, whether removed or not, would NOT affect the final product in any way. We wouldn't magically get a new character tacked on to the roster.. we'd just be short two or three clones.

The only real reason I am iffy about veterans getting back in, is because I would prefer new blood. I at least will understand why they get back in if they do show up.

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Twintails.png
Made this today. Thought Shantae would look really cute with twintails.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
View attachment 72139 Made this today. Thought Shantae would look really cute with twintails.
Shantae's a character that's really fun to draw, as well as change her hair and clothes. I drew her in glasses and she was painfully adorable.

I also once drew her in a cheerleader uniform.
image.jpg

Scientific proof that Shantae will always be adorable.

as long as nobody makes any scary fanart

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Shantae's a character that's really fun to draw, as well as change her hair and clothes. I drew her in glasses and she was painfully adorable.

I also once drew her in a cheerleader uniform.View attachment 72142
Scientific proof that Shantae will always be adorable.

as long as nobody makes any scary fanart
Scary fanart happens to everything sadly. I just don't look for it. I'm not a fan of scary stuff. I like cute, pretty, sexy things!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
lol, Can't believe I misspelled her name twice.... fixed it. And yes, She's soooooo cute...... I'm such a sucker for cute stuff...
This is me. That is all.

Oh, trust me, you guys are SO not the only ones into cute and adorable stuff...Honestly, my supporting of Arle isn't just for her large moveset potential, but also cause she is one of the most adorable video game characters I've ever seen, close 2nd to Bandana Waddle Dee, who I also GREATLY support for Smash.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Oh, trust me, you guys are SO not the only ones into cute and adorable stuff...Honestly, my supporting of Arle isn't just for her large moveset potential, but also cause she is one of the most adorable video game characters I've ever seen, close 2nd to Bandana Waddle Dee, who I also GREATLY support for Smash.
Cute stuff all the way!!!!!! ....ahem. Sorry got carried away lol.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
...what...? I like giant girls.........
https://youtu.be/X4m42HOdsUc?t=5s
Kinda-on topic, as much as I'd like Valk, she isn't very iconic (though I may be wrong!). In terms of 3rd parties, I think Ninty looks for something even semi-iconic. That's why we had Snake, and have Sanic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man. And hopefully Shantae of course, since she's the most iconic indie.

On the topic of Shantae, though, how much salt do you guys think there's gonna be if she's in?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Kinda-on topic, as much as I'd like Valk, she isn't very iconic (though I may be wrong!). In terms of 3rd parties, I think Ninty looks for something even semi-iconic. That's why we had Snake, and have Sanic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man. And hopefully Shantae of course, since she's the most iconic indie.

On the topic of Shantae, though, how much salt do you guys think there's gonna be if she's in?
She also has being the first succesful franchise to star a female protagonist that was always intended to be female (Even Samus wasn't always intended to be a woman. Look it up).

I was planning to open up a pretzel stand with the salt that's gonna go around

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
homestretch

That manly handshake... so beautiful... I take that was directed at my "giant girls" comment. If so... right back at ya!

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
View attachment 72139 Made this today. Thought Shantae would look really cute with twintails.
Now that's just ripping off the rival genie's look.

Anyway, have a draft of my moveset!
STATS
Size: Near that of :4pit:
Weight: :4link:
Ground speed: :pichumelee:
Air speed: :4megaman:

NEUTRALS
Jab: Rapid hair whip, no finisher. (1.1% per hit, literally 1* knockback)
Dash: Elbow dash from GBC!Shantae. (Deals 3-8% based on timing and 20-40 knockback at 70deg)
Forward tilt: Left straight, right straight. Can't be spammed. (Solid 3% per punch, plus 10 or so Sakurai-angle knockback)
Up tilt: Shantae plants her hand down and pulls off Sonic's u-air from a handstand. (2% and 6.9% at 90deg, in that order; 10 then 20.4 set knockback)
Down tilt: Same as jab, but not as rapid. (2.2% and 14.5 knockback, Sakurai angle)

SMASH ATTACKS
Forward smash: Stands her ground while charging, then spins lunges forward using the Side Kick from Pirate's Curse. The more you charge, the further Shantae kicks; the maximum is 2.25 stage builder blocks. (13.5-17% based on timing, 111.1-128 knockback at 11deg)
Up smash: Shantae generates a flame that grows as she charges. When she actually attacks, Shantae punches the ground with the flame stuck in her hand, creating a sparkling pillar of flame that reaches up to 1.5x her height. (4 rapid hits of 1.625%, then one bigger hit worth 11%; rapid hits worth 3 to 1* knockback, while big hit has 100 knockback, all from 110deg to 90deg)
Down smash: Mario's breakdance, kind of. (Front hit 18% and 104.3 knockback at 30deg, back hit 10% and 98.9 knockback at 130deg)

* denotes set knockback

Enough to keep the pretzels happy. Unlike Pac-Man (Who people felt would garner similar reactions), not many people know Shantae.
Ok, it works and she does looks cute and all, but... who is that exactly?
Arle Nadja, the heroine of Madou Monogatari - and Puyo Puyo later on.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Now that's just ripping off the rival genie's look.

Anyway, have a draft of my moveset!
STATS
Size: Near that of :4pit:
Weight: :4link:
Ground speed: :pichumelee:
Air speed: :4megaman:

NEUTRALS
Jab: Rapid hair whip, no finisher. (1.1% per hit, literally 1* knockback)
Dash: Elbow dash from GBC!Shantae. (Deals 3-8% based on timing and 20-40 knockback at 70deg)
Forward tilt: Left straight, right straight. Can't be spammed. (Solid 3% per punch, plus 10 or so Sakurai-angle knockback)
Up tilt: Shantae plants her hand down and pulls off Sonic's u-air from a handstand. (2% and 6.9% at 90deg, in that order; 10 then 20.4 set knockback)
Down tilt: Same as jab, but not as rapid. (2.2% and 14.5 knockback, Sakurai angle)

SMASH ATTACKS
Forward smash: Stands her ground while charging, then spins lunges forward using the Side Kick from Pirate's Curse. The more you charge, the further Shantae kicks; the maximum is 2.25 stage builder blocks. (13.5-17% based on timing, 111.1-128 knockback at 11deg)
Up smash: Shantae generates a flame that grows as she charges. When she actually attacks, Shantae punches the ground with the flame stuck in her hand, creating a sparkling pillar of flame that reaches up to 1.5x her height. (4 rapid hits of 1.625%, then one bigger hit worth 11%; rapid hits worth 3 to 1* knockback, while big hit has 100 knockback, all from 110deg to 90deg)
Down smash: Mario's breakdance, kind of. (Front hit 18% and 104.3 knockback at 30deg, back hit 10% and 98.9 knockback at 130deg)

* denotes set knockback

Enough to keep the pretzels happy. Unlike Pac-Man (Who people felt would garner similar reactions), not many people know Shantae.

Arle Nadja, the heroine of Madou Monogatari - and Puyo Puyo later on.
Truth be told, I wasn't even thinking of the rival genie when I drew this lol

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
You know, after watching this over and over again, I demand this be the threads "welcoming" video, like what other threads have like King K Rool and Rayman has.

And if Shantae get's confirmed for Smash as well...

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
I think that one of the best ways we can support Shantae's inclusion in Smash Bros is really putting an emphasis that she will be a new female protagonist.

Samus has been the only female character that has starred in her own main franchise since the debut of Smash Bros in 1999, and it would certainly be nice to see Shantae finally join the roster to go along with her.

A good way to do this is most likely, well, fanart. Most likely crossing over Shantae and Metroid, like creating scenarios of Shantae and Samus getting along, for example.

With that said... ahem.

LAAAAADIES AND GENTLEMEN

I PRESENT TO YOU

AN ORIGINAL FAN-WORK BY YOURS TRULY...

:samus:SHANTAE IN A VARIA SUIT:samus:
image.jpg

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
G'night.png
Just got done with this moments ago. 5 drawings in one evening.... I'm tired. As the pic says... G'night y'all!

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
I think that one of the best ways we can support Shantae's inclusion in Smash Bros is really putting an emphasis that she will be a new female protagonist.

Samus has been the only female character that has starred in her own main franchise since the debut of Smash Bros in 1999, and it would certainly be nice to see Shantae finally join the roster to go along with her.

A good way to do this is most likely, well, fanart. Most likely crossing over Shantae and Metroid, like creating scenarios of Shantae and Samus getting along, for example.

With that said... ahem.

LAAAAADIES AND GENTLEMEN

I PRESENT TO YOU

AN ORIGINAL FAN-WORK BY YOURS TRULY...

:samus:SHANTAE IN A VARIA SUIT:samus:
View attachment 72191
Nicely done, looks great! Like the detail.

View attachment 72192 Just got done with this moments ago. 5 drawings in one evening.... I'm tired. As the pic says... G'night y'all!
Good work. And good night.

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
Cool! Though it almost looks too big for her lol. Like to see Risky invade Scuttle Town now! ;)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
You know, after watching this over and over again, I demand this be the threads "welcoming" video, like what other threads have like King K Rool and Rayman has.

And if Shantae get's confirmed for Smash as well...
Can we please have Terry Crews announce the Shantae Amiibo when it comes out

ShyGuy XL

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShyGuyES
3DS FC
5386-9776-6327
I was going through my dA gallery I found my 3 drawings of Shantae in modern urban clothes the 1st from 2011, the 2nd from 2013, and the most recent from March of this year...my art sure did improve ALOT since '11

Also been playing Pirate's Curse and finally tried out Mighty Switch Force 1 & 2 both are awesome it would be sweet Shantae gotten a Patricia costume if she got in or better yet a Mii Gunner outfit

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Shantae is getting a Patty Wagon costume in HGH so there's at least a canon reasoning for it.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion

https://twitter.com/eorx_roa/status/640728617232674816
If this ever happens, I bet she would have the most fluid animations of the cast like in the GBC days.
(Psst, isn't that the sprite from the cancelled GBA game's Battle Mode?)

Hate to sound desperate, but does anyone mind tweeting Varia Suit Shantae to Wayforward and Matt Bozon on my behalf? Gaming pages on Instagram aren't really all that active.

"TheRickyWill on Instagram wanted me to send you this Metroid x Shantae drawing on his behalf! @Wayforward @MrBozon"

Last edited:
Top Bottom