• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Half Genie Protector of Scuttle Town, Shantae for SSB4 (WayForward wants her in Smash)

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Yeah I never played it I just watched. And the story was a little confusing. But still, if Shantae and Valkyrie both get into Smash.... I think I'll die of happiness.
Let's just put Shantae, Krystal and Valkyrie so that'll keep everyone quiet for a brief period of time

For the heck of it, here's some fanart from the Rottenchicken on Tumblr.

I love the artist's style.

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Let's just put Shantae, Krystal and Valkyrie so that'll keep everyone quiet for a brief period of time

For the heck of it, here's some fanart from the Rottenchicken on Tumblr.

I love the artist's style.
Those 3 would be great! And they will call it: The Girl Power DLC Pack!

Last edited:

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
I WOULD LOVE SHANTAE!
her situation isn't looking good D:
i support!

Shadowknight1

Banned via Administration
And then I open a pretzel stand with all the salt I've collected from people who wanted Daisy and Bayonetta
I don't get the Daisy love. Doesn't the Mario universe have enough representatives already??? And as much as I love Bayonetta...she doesn't belong in Smash Bros.
I WOULD LOVE SHANTAE!
her situation isn't looking good D:
i support!
How is her situation not looking good? She led a poll on Reddit very recently, beating out Shovel Knight by 100 votes I think I read.

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
I don't get the Daisy love. Doesn't the Mario universe have enough representatives already??? And as much as I love Bayonetta...she doesn't belong in Smash Bros.

How is her situation not looking good? She led a poll on Reddit very recently, beating out Shovel Knight by 100 votes I think I read.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r49t0mCtfyM
i this guy might be wrong tho

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion

When Bowser Jr., Rosalina, and Dr. Mario were added, everyone complained about there being too many Mario characters.

Yet everyone wants Waluigi and Daisy.

When Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario were revealed, everyone complained that there's too many clones.

Yet people want Lucas, Wolf, Roy, and Pichu back.

The Smash fanbase is so biased that it hurts.

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
When Bowser Jr., Rosalina, and Dr. Mario were added, everyone complained about there being too many Mario characters.

Yet everyone wants Waluigi and Daisy.

When Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr. Mario were revealed, everyone complained that there's too many clones.

Yet people want Lucas, Wolf, Roy, and Pichu back.

The Smash fanbase is so biased that it hurts.
Pichu plz?
Pichu Pretty Plz?
How about no.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Well, I'm just going to say people will love a character that they've know for years, since their childhood (Sonic), and despite what others thing (too many Mario reps (well, too bad, there's already like 14 of them, so might as well just keep adding more in there since Sakurai clearly doesn't see "reps" being too many per series a thing or anything), she's just of clone of Peach (no she's not, btw) and other opinion related stuff that doesn't matter))

People will want a character in Smash no matter if anyone thinks they shouldn't be in or don't understand why. If you support a character you like and you get that same treatment ("she doesn't belong in Smash Bros.") then you'd understand. Which if you've seen how people think of Shantae, you'd noticed that.

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
Etika's video? That's been out for a while, and it wasn't "deconfirmation". It was just Cristina Vee denying her involvement in reaction to her name coming up on iMDB.

Which... not to spread misinformation as this is merely guesswork, but it could just as easily have been her denying it just to maintain an NDA. Someone said that considering the unusual timing of the listing on iMDB, right after Cristina tweeted about making additions to her page on that site, it might have been possible that it was more than just some random guy putting Shantae on the Smash Bros iMDB page.

Matt Bozon's behavior certainly doesn't help things either.

But again, nothing confirmed. Or deconfirmed.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
She would probably be Link with more magic-based attacks, if you played the Famicom or Arcade game.

I would question Arle, and then I remembered Dr. Mario

I STILL WANT PUYO PUYO TETRIS IN AMERICA BUT OF COURSE FREAKING UBISOFT
Well, considering Arle's sort of in the same boat as Valkyrie, it could be a blessing that Arle's Japan-only. Seriously, the following Arle has in Japan is HUGE. To the point that she's commonly requested to be the second SEGA rep for Smash after Sonic himself, if it's not another Sonic character. You know it's funny. From what I've heard Puyo Puyo Tetris has not been released in anywhere BUT Japan, and yet, THIS is a thing?:
(BTW, I mean the ENGLISH subtitles, and I haven't heard anything about this game getting a language option to my memory.)

Shadowknight1

Etika's video? That's been out for a while, and it wasn't "deconfirmation". It was just Cristina Vee denying her involvement in reaction to her name coming up on iMDB.

Which... not to spread misinformation as this is merely guesswork, but it could just as easily have been her denying it just to maintain an NDA. Someone said that considering the unusual timing of the listing on iMDB, right after Cristina tweeted about making additions to her page on that site, it might have been possible that it was more than just some random guy putting Shantae on the Smash Bros iMDB page.

Matt Bozon's behavior certainly doesn't help things either.

But again, nothing confirmed. Or deconfirmed.
Amen on that. He's either a troll on the same level as Sakurai and JJ Abrams(No guys, really, John Harrison isn't Khan!) or he knows something that the rest of us don't and is teasing us...

It's funny how often people tend to treat IMDB as "word of god". It isn't, especially when referring to unreleased projects. Once a game is released along with all DLC, then IMDB is a pretty good resource. Until then, treat it with a dash of salt.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Well, considering Arle's sort of in the same boat as Valkyrie, it could be a blessing that Arle's Japan-only. Seriously, the following Arle has in Japan is HUGE. To the point that she's commonly requested to be the second SEGA rep for Smash after Sonic himself, if it's not another Sonic character. You know it's funny. From what I've heard Puyo Puyo Tetris has not been released in anywhere BUT Japan, and yet, THIS is a thing?:
(BTW, I mean the ENGLISH subtitles, and I haven't heard anything about this game getting a language option to my memory.)
I don't know why, but I think a cool idea for the game is adding Dr. Mario for the Wii U version.

Just to see Dr. Mario in the Puyo Puyo style.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
So let's see....
Capcom gets Megaman and Ryu.
Sega gets Sonic and Arle(Who's really cute btw).
Namco gets Pac-man and Valkyrie(Big Magic! ...sorry).
And the indies get Shantae and Shovel Knight.

Sounds good to me!

Last edited:

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Then you'd have "muh third parties" crowd going on, way too many third parties. Honestly I agree. Valkyrie and Arle I don't really care for, in being in Smash. When it comes to Namco I'd rather have Klonoa, Nightmare (Soul Calibur) or Agumon, Sega I'd rather have NiGHTS, Tails, or Eggman. Though I'd prefer first parties to all of them, like King K. Rool, Wolf, Daisy, Krystal, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Sceptile, etc.

as for as third parties go I will be content with Shantae and nothing else after.

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Then you'd have "muh third parties" crowd going on, way too many third parties. Honestly I agree. Valkyrie and Arle I don't really care for, in being in Smash. When it comes to Namco I'd rather have Klonoa, Nightmare (Soul Calibur) or Agumon, Sega I'd rather have NiGHTS, Tails, or Eggman. Though I'd prefer first parties to all of them, like King K. Rool, Wolf, Daisy, Krystal, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Sceptile, etc.

as for as third parties go I will be content with Shantae and nothing else after.
If all those characters I just listed got in it would only be 8 third-party characters. Smash would still be dominated by Nintendo characters. I don't see any problems.

GhostlyLure

Smash Lord
NNID
GhostlyLureioi
In my opinion unless a 3rd party character is iconic or there is some unspoken spoken deal, the character shouldn't be in Smash which is kindaaaa the reason I am against Shantae..if she was first party completely I'd be for her. That being said add me to the support list. I won't be active but I've grown to respect the character

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
If all those characters I just listed got in it would only be 8 third-party characters. Smash would still be dominated by Nintendo characters. I don't see any problems.
Third parties tend to be pretty special inclusions. Not sure if simply going out on a whim and adding another Namco and Sega character just because Ryu got in makes much sense in perspective. You got the Blue Blur himself and Mario's ultimate rival, Pac-Man who's basically a symbol of video games, Megaman being one of the most highly requested characters Pre-Smash4 and having a long history on Nintendo (more than just a couple of games or one game), and Mr. Fighting Games himself (and Mr. Crossover, Ryu is in a lot of games).

Children0fTheStars

Smash Apprentice
In my opinion unless a 3rd party character is iconic or there is some unspoken spoken deal, the character shouldn't be in Smash which is kindaaaa the reason I am against Shantae..if she was first party completely I'd be for her. That being said add me to the support list. I won't be active but I've grown to respect the character
What is and is not "iconic" tends to be pretty subjective. But I think the third-parties are a case-by-case thing anyway.

• Sonic's been all over the place after the Dreamcast days, he doesn't necessarily have some kind of special presence for Nintendo. Not after the Gamecube's generation, at least.
  • Snake was a favor; almost no real presence in Nintendo's history. (Keyword: Almost)
  • Pac-Man in all likelihood was a result of Bandai-Namco's involvement in the game's development, and they might have thought it would be an interesting gimmick to have Mario, Sonic, Pac-Man, and Megaman in a single game.
But Shantae is actually comparable to Snake. Not unlike him, she started out as a Nintendo exclusive. The series did go multiplatform afterwards, but the games have mostly been known for their Nintendo ports.

Although it's technically not the case, she can almost come across as, say, a second-party character in relation to Nintendo.

Last edited:

Mental Surge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GisR FTG
3DS FC
4098-5877-7114
If any more mario or FE reps are added then I'll give up on this community. Seriously, there's so much potential for new characters but apparently no one cares. I mean really, DAISY? How the hell does that character even have supporters?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So let's see....
Capcom gets Megaman and Ryu.
Sega gets Sonic and Arie(Who's really cute btw).
Namco gets Pac-man and Valkyrie(Big Magic! ...sorry).
And the indies get Shantae and Shovel Knight.

Sounds good to me!
Not even going to lie, THIS. Everyone you listed. All of them together in Smash would honestly serve as my IDEAL guest character roster in the Smash series.

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
>Game Boy Color game praised for pushing the system to it's limits

>Constant coverage for Wayforward in Nintendo Power, so far to have Risky's Revenge being the only downloadable title to have Multi-Issue coverage and Pirate's Curse being a cover story

>Wayforward's games being the best selling and highest rated original titles on the DSi and eShop

>Cameo with CommanderVideo in WarioWare DIY

>Shantae is the first female character to have her own successful game franchise that was always intended to be female and the star, and who wasn’t spun off a male character’s game. (Believe or not, it's true! Early female protagonists like Samus and Lara Croft were first conceptualized as male characters.)

I dunno, she's kindof filled her quota.

Last edited:

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
Not even going to lie, THIS. Everyone you listed. All of them together in Smash would honestly serve as my IDEAL guest character roster in the Smash series.
Aye! Then we could have the ultimate third-party Team Battle!

Team Capcom: Megaman & Ryu Vs. Team Sega: Sonic & Arle Vs. Team Namco: Pac-man & Valkyrie Vs. Team Indie: Shantae & Shovel Knight!

It would be awesome!!

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

As has been said, Shantae was a hard won female protagonist at a time when female protags were limited mostly to Samus Aran. While she isn't recognized as such, she should be iconic for that reason. Unlike Samus, Shantae is unashamedly feminine while Samus prefers anonymity to protect her status as a bounty hunter. Shantae has also been kind of the face of indie games on the eShops.
If any more mario or FE reps are added then I'll give up on this community. Seriously, there's so much potential for new characters but apparently no one cares. I mean really, DAISY? How the hell does that character even have supporters?
I want an FE rep, but NOT another swordsman/woman. Lucina filled our quota and I only tolerate Roy because he's what Lucina should have been, slightly different from Marth. I still pick Lucina over Marth every time though. But I want Sumia or Cordelia or any of the Pegasus Knights! That would be so cool! That was one of my votes in the poll, though obviously put in way more votes for Shantae lol

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Brawl: I hate 3rd parties
Sm4sh:Why isn't there more 3rd parties?

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
As CRAZY (:awesome:) as it may sound, alongside Arle Nadja, (and a MULTITUDE of SEGA characters) I'd happily accept B.D. Joe in Smash. Wonder how he'd work though, unless they want to give him a variation of Bowser Jr. and the Koopalings' gimmick in Smash 4.
Or, like Captain Falcon, make up a moveset.
As has been said, Shantae was a hard won female protagonist at a time when female protags were limited mostly to Samus Aran. While she isn't recognized as such, she should be iconic for that reason. Unlike Samus, Shantae is unashamedly feminine while Samus prefers anonymity to protect her status as a bounty hunter. Shantae has also been kind of the face of indie games on the eShops.
Also, like I just said, Shantae was always intended to be female and always was intended to be the star.

Not even Samus was originally meant to be female, as shown in this quote from Miyamoto:

"When we were almost done with the development of Metroid, one of our staffers casually suggested, ‘Why don't we make Samus Aran a female character to surprise the player?' Back then I thought it was a nice idea, but I couldn't foresee what a huge impact this would have on the future of the franchise."

dangeraaron10

Smash Master

Also, like I just said, Shantae was always intended to be female and always was intended to be the star.

Not even Samus was originally meant to be female, as shown in this quote from Miyamoto:

"When we were almost done with the development of Metroid, one of our staffers casually suggested, ‘Why don't we make Samus Aran a female character to surprise the player?' Back then I thought it was a nice idea, but I couldn't foresee what a huge impact this would have on the future of the franchise."
The more you know.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Aye! Then we could have the ultimate third-party Team Battle!

Team Capcom: Megaman & Ryu Vs. Team Sega: Sonic & Arie Vs. Team Namco: Pac-man & Valkyrie Vs. Team Indie: Shantae & Shovel Knight!

It would be awesome!!
It REALLY would! BTW, you mean ARLE, right?:smirk: Also, yeah, she really is just adorable!:love:

Oh, yeah. That could work too.:p

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
The more you know.
In a time where diversity in gaming is encouraged more, a character who's dark-skinned, based on a different human culture, and a protagonist that was always intended to be female, I'd say she's filled her "impact on gaming" quota, to some extent.

Last edited:

Shadowknight1

In a time where diversity in gaming is encouraged more, a character who's dark-skinned, based on a different human culture, and a protagonist that was always intended to be female, I'd say she's filled her "impact on gaming" quota, to some extent.
Not to mention being a fun, funny, and sassy character on her own.

Midnight Twinkle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MidnightTwinkle
3DS FC
1461-6246-6413
It REALLY would! BTW, you mean ARLE, right?:smirk: Also, yeah, she really is just adorable!:love:

Oh, yeah. That could work too.:p
lol, Can't believe I misspelled her name twice.... fixed it. And yes, She's soooooo cute...... I'm such a sucker for cute stuff...

Last edited:

TheRickyWill

Smash Champion
Not to mention being a fun, funny, and sassy character on her own.
Especially compared to most of Nintendo's blocks of lead.

King K. Rool, Rayman, and Shantae would certainly be some of the more expressive characters on the roster if they were added.

Last edited:
Top Bottom