• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Forest Master Rises! Sceptile for Smash Bros! Over 100 supporters!!!

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Pokemon Anime Spoilers! Open at own risk.

http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml#

As you can all see, Mega Sceptile is on this poster for an advertisment of some sort of the new season of Pokemon set to air on October 29th. This happens right around when the ballot closes, hopefully this is Ash's Sceptile in the poster, as that may help Sceptiles chances for Smash (more publicity).
As much as I would love to see Ash's Sceptile return and increase Sceptile's chances of getting into Smash, there are two factors hurting the odds of this happening:
1. The Mega Sceptile on the poster doesn't have the trademark stick in its mouth that Ash's Sceptile has. Plus, Shouta already has a Grovyle (which will most likely evolve) with an established rivalry to Ash's Frogadier (that will evolve into Greninja), so it could very well be his.
2. Even if the Mega Sceptile on the poster ends up belonging to Ash, the new season will air nearly a month after the ballot is over (the ballot ends on the third of October).

I really hope I'm wrong, though.

Last edited:

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
As much as I would love to see Ash's Sceptile return and increase Sceptile's chances of getting into Smash, there are two factors hurting the odds of this happening:
1. The Mega Sceptile on the poster doesn't have the trademark stick in its mouth that Ash's Sceptile has. Plus, Shouta already has a Grovyle (which will most likely evolve) with an established rivalry to Ash's Frogadier (that will evolve into Greninja), so it could very well be his.
2. Even if the Mega Sceptile on the poster ends up belonging to Ash, the new season will air nearly a month after the ballot is over (the ballot ends on the third of October).

I really hope I'm wrong, though.

I had no clue about the guy who already had a Grovyle, that's still a good thing because it means Sceptile will still be some what of a featured pokemon. And we don't know when they will actually release the DLC, I imagine they will way for it to close before making some decisions.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/

I'm a bit concerned here, guys. This is a fan poll from based off of vocal support from Japan and Sceptile isn't even listed. According to the list, Pichu and Magnemite are the two most requested playable Pokémon characters in Japan. I can understand Pichu since he was already in Melee and Japan loves veterans... but WHY Magnemite of all Pokémon? Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way. It's not like this poll reflects the entire Smash community in Japan, right?

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

I'm a bit concerned here, guys. This is a fan poll from based off of vocal support from Japan and Sceptile isn't even listed. According to the list, Pichu and Magnemite are the two most requested playable Pokémon characters in Japan. I can understand Pichu since he was already in Melee and Japan loves veterans... but WHY Magnemite of all Pokémon? Perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way. It's not like this poll reflects the entire Smash community in Japan, right?
Well, it's based on people's top choices in Japan. Sceptile isn't the #1 pick for a lot of people, but is in a surprising amount of Top 5s or so. That just wasn't what that research in particular was looking at.

And Magnemite is a joke suggestion over there. It's like their version of Lanky Kong. >_>

Last edited:

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz

You must of missed it, wasn't for Japan but Sceptile is in this picture at the bottom of the article listed as a "Frontrunner". Also I'm pretty sure Magnamite is the Japaneese version of voting for Shrek.

Last edited:

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I've done the deed. Our jungle raptor will come to pass (I hope!).
On topic, Sceptile would be a cool smash character! Bullet Seed is a must for me though... I don't want another energy ball neutral from a pokémon really.
It would really depend on how the Neutral B is executed, & by that, I mean if they do anything unique with it.
:4lucario:- His Aura Sphere charging is a hitbox that can be B-Reversed or Wavebounced to guarantee a Aura Sphere Charge into Jump Canceled Up Smash for a True Combo kill confirm. It also grows to ridiculous sizes when Lucario's Aura is super high.
:4mewtwo:- His Shadow Ball full charged is a strong & powerful projectile capable of breaking shields due to the strong damage it deals on shield & the shield knockback it does.

If Sceptile's said Energy Ball Neutral B had a neat quirk to it to separate it's use from the others, then I'd be okay with the suggestion. An example of this would be if it acted like :4wiifit:'s Sun Salutation Neutral B, where if he / she full charges it & fires it, they're healed for 2%. So if Sceptile had a healing mechanic of some sort, he'd heal himself if the attack connects hitting one's bubble shield or the opponent directly. I'd be down for other ideas.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
My own Energy Ball idea was having it not be as powerful fully charged as similar projectiles, and having it so if an enemy is hit by it, they'd suffer extra damage and knockback for a short time (Because it lowered their Special Defense, get it?). The further Energy Ball was charged and the more damage the target currently has, the longer the debuff lasts. They'd also glow dark green while it was in effect, as a clear visual cue.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
Greninja's has a multi-hit carry effect too, don't forget that. (I know it's a Shuriken, but it's functionally the same move).

Yes it could have an added effect, but I feel the hit types are kinda run out, unless they give it a spike or suction effect but that would be kinda weird... When Bullet Seed is so readily available, and due to the anime more closely associated with Sceptile, it would bug me that they overlooked an obvious alternate for something either convoluted or similar to the other pokes

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Personally, I'd like to see his Neutral B be Bullet Seed, only shooting forward with about the distance and strength Ivysaur's did.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Man. . .any ideas that would put a debuff attribute on someone sounds cool in Smash, but it actually doesn't do much. =/ Y'know what I mean? Like here, let's bring up the Flame effect real quick: It puts a burn cosmetic effect on the character when they're hit by the fire attack & it thaws frozen characters. However, freezing taking place doesn't occur often. They also detonate those Blast Box items, increase the size of Hot Heads, & they do basically nothing to Olimar & Alph's red pikmin.

A grass-looking leaf cut attribute or your dark-green glow effect sounds cool @ Delzethin Delzethin , but I wonder if Sceptile would truly have this kind of attribute debuff. I think it'd be cool but Smash's attributes are lacking. They're mostly all show & nothing in-depth. So yeah, if Energy Ball didn't get some kind of neat quirk like a windbox or a heal>deal mechanic to it, I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as Bullet Seed. These are my decent qualifications that Energy Ball would need to make me not regret it:
  • Cancel the charging on the floor with shield or rolling
  • The ability to charge it airborne
  • It can be B-Reversed & Wavebounced
  • A eye gleam indicator is displayed on the character portrait near the damage meter to show it's fully charged
  • The speed of the fired projectile must either increase or decrease with a bonus effect to it depending on the balancing of it

Last edited:

KingCasual

Smash Cadet
Personally, I'd like to see his Neutral B be Bullet Seed, only shooting forward with about the distance and strength Ivysaur's did.
That would be kind of cool in that it would help Sceptile be a "spiritual successor" to Ivysaur, a point I and many others frequently use when submitting ballot votes. Sort of like Aura Sphere helped Lucario be Mewtwo's spiritual successor in Brawl.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I've always been a supporter of Energy Ball, but I agree it shouldn't be a copy of Mewtwo and Lucario's. I'd like to see it be like Pikachu's custom Thunder Jolt (not the one that paralyzes, the other one) Have it not have a charge, and travel a set distance like Luigi's fireball. But at the end of the move the ball would explode, so if you spaced it correctly and hit someone with it as it was exploding it would do additional damage and knockback. Maybe even being able to kill at the ledge or offstage at higher percents.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Ivysaur's Bullet Seed was great, . . .if your opponent didn't SDI the grounded knockup hit that brings them into the Seed stream. Catching airdodge with Bullet Seed hands down was the best feeling, but spiritually succeeding Ivysaur by Sceptile using Bullet Seed would be a beauty. Heck, that could be Sceptile's Up throw, or Down Throw. Sceptile grabbing them & throwing them up to fire a rapid stream of Bullet Seeds would look kickass for his Uthrow, but it would also look awesome if Sceptile did a similar thing to Charizard's Dthrow but instead Sceptile pinning them to the ground by slamming them down with his claw & stomping on them with his foot firing Bullet Seeds & then they go nowhere, creating a floor chase reading move.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Ivysaur's Bullet Seed was great, . . .if your opponent didn't SDI the grounded knockup hit that brings them into the Seed stream. Catching airdodge with Bullet Seed hands down was the best feeling, but spiritually succeeding Ivysaur by Sceptile using Bullet Seed would be a beauty. Heck, that could be Sceptile's Up throw, or Down Throw. Sceptile grabbing them & throwing them up to fire a rapid stream of Bullet Seeds would look kickass for his Uthrow, but it would also look awesome if Sceptile did a similar thing to Charizard's Dthrow but instead Sceptile pinning them to the ground by slamming them down with his claw & stomping on them with his foot firing Bullet Seeds & then they go nowhere, creating a floor chase reading move.
I'd like to see a throw where Sceptile repeatedly slices the opponent with Leaf Blade then finishes off the attack with a roundhouse kick. That would be cool.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'd like to see a throw where Sceptile repeatedly slices the opponent with Leaf Blade then finishes off the attack with a roundhouse kick. That would be cool.
I'm always welcome to a slashing-esque throw. I wouldn't want it to last too long though, unlessssssssss those multiple slashing attacks were all hitbox-worthy. That way, the slashing throw would be a wall of slashing hits keeping the other opponent out in case Sceptile is in Team Battles per-say. Multi-hitting Fthrow sounds interesting, but I expect it'll be a one or two-hitting throw move.

KingCasual

Smash Cadet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOdhFajSdj8

Well, it looks like we're getting a new stage soon... it would be nice to get a new character along with it, though. I'm really glad we've finally gotten some more content for Smash after the long drought of no information. I'm also happy the ballot is almost over. It'll be very fun to see who ends up "winning."
I wonder if they'll reveal all of the ballot "winners" at once or spread it out over a few months. If it's all at one time, that's going to be one of the most hype-inducing trailors I've ever seen. My brain might explode.

Of course assuming there will be more than one fighter coming. There are still so many unknowns!

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I wonder if they'll reveal all of the ballot "winners" at once or spread it out over a few months. If it's all at one time, that's going to be one of the most hype-inducing trailors I've ever seen. My brain might explode.

Of course assuming there will be more than one fighter coming. There are still so many unknowns!
Yeah. No kidding. October 3rd can't come quick enough!

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I don't think they'll really announce any "winners" at any point. They'll just start to work on characters from the Ballot, and the longer they're able to stay together, the more characters we'll see. So the closest thing we'll probably get to announcements are reveal trailers, lol.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I don't think they'll really announce any "winners" at any point. They'll just start to work on characters from the Ballot, and the longer they're able to stay together, the more characters we'll see. So the closest thing we'll probably get to announcements are reveal trailers, lol.
Yeah. You may be right.

Changing the topic a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PBQ1Rx70t4
This might be old news, but there may be another stage coming along with the Super Mario Maker one. This may sound like a huge stretch, but Pokemon is Nintendo's second-most popular series after all, so it would be amazing if we got Saffron City, Pokefloats, or an OR/AS-themed stage along with Sceptile. I can dream, can't I? :(

Last edited:

KingCasual

Smash Cadet
Yeah. You may be right.

This may sound like a huge stretch, but Pokemon is Nintendo's second-most popular series after all, so it would be amazing if we got Saffron City, Pokefloats, or an OR/AS-themed stage along with Sceptile. I can dream, can't I? :(
I hated Pokéfloats but Saffron City coming back would be amazing. In fact, I think a lot of people who don't even care about Pokémon would love to see Saffron City return. I think Saffron would be a lot more difficult to port than the other retro stages though. With Peach's Castle, Hyrule Castle, Dream Land and Kongo Jungle they can get away with (and sometimes lauded for) doing very little to update the stages graphically. With Saffron City, however, I don't think anyone would be ok with seeing two dimensional pokémon popping out of the Silph Co. building.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I hated Pokéfloats but Saffron City coming back would be amazing. In fact, I think a lot of people who don't even care about Pokémon would love to see Saffron City return. I think Saffron would be a lot more difficult to port than the other retro stages though. With Peach's Castle, Hyrule Castle, Dream Land and Kongo Jungle they can get away with (and sometimes lauded for) doing very little to update the stages graphically. With Saffron City, however, I don't think anyone would be ok with seeing two dimensional pokémon popping out of the Silph Co. building.
I personally loved the concept of Pokéfloats, but I agree it could have been executed better. I'd personally love to see another Pokéfloats stage but implemented better with Pokémon up to the sixth generation. Imagine fighting on a Hoopa-Unbound inspired platform.

KingCasual

Smash Cadet
I personally loved the concept of Pokéfloats, but I agree it could have been executed better. I'd personally love to see another Pokéfloats stage but implemented better with Pokémon up to the sixth generation. Imagine fighting on a Hoopa-Unbound inspired platform.
The concept was the main thing I hated about that stage. They were supposed to be big balloons but how did they not sink down when a character stood on top of them, how did they keep their shape when someone slammed into the side of them, how did they not pop when Sheik threw a barrage of needles at them? It should have been called "Giant Levitating Pokémon Figures" instead, then I would be fine with it. But I'm just weird. I'm fine with the fact that a slash of Ike's sword sends people flying instead of cutting them in half but I can't take a few floats that can't be moved.

Also, Hoopa-Unbound float would be pretty crazy.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I'd much prefer Saffron City, I never got the hype over Poke Floats I always hated that map even as a casual.

M16s PwN

Smash Cadet
Why not have a completely new Victory Road stage from ORAS, like the room with all of the petals in it? Just imagine it playing Wally's theme in the background during a fight!

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
out of the pkmn stages in smash, Saffron City or Pokemon Stadium 1 would be great as a DLC stage inclusion. Otherwise, a completely new DLC stage would be neat!

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I'd be partial to a stage based on Route 119, myself. The jungle atmosphere there is something else.

Gamezraptor011

Smash Rookie
I'm getting notifications from this thread so I'm not sure if I'm already signed up as a supporter or not, if I'm not count me in. (Apologies, I have very little experience with Smashboards so I'm still somewhat getting used to how everything works :/ ) Sceptile has always been a personal favourite of mine ever since I was younger, having him be playable in Smash would be a dream come true.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Why not have a completely new Victory Road stage from ORAS, like the room with all of the petals in it? Just imagine it playing Wally's theme in the background during a fight!
This would be awesome! Wally's battle theme was definitely one of the best songs from OR/AS. It's a shame you can only listen to it on the Battle Resort after defeating his team. If Mario is getting yet another brand-new stage, then Pokémon deserves a new stage as well.

I'm getting notifications from this thread so I'm not sure if I'm already signed up as a supporter or not, if I'm not count me in. (Apologies, I have very little experience with Smashboards so I'm still somewhat getting used to how everything works :/ ) Sceptile has always been a personal favourite of mine ever since I was younger, having him be playable in Smash would be a dream come true.
So, it's been over a year since you've posted on this thread, huh? Nice to have you back!

In recent news...there's some more information regarding the ballot results, I think.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/htmlview#gid=729442469

Last edited:

M16s PwN

Smash Cadet
This would be awesome! Wally's battle theme was definitely one of the best songs from OR/AS. It's a shame you can only listen to it on the Battle Resort after defeating his team. If Mario is getting yet another brand-new stage, then Pokémon deserves a new stage as well.

So, it's been over a year since you've posted on this thread, huh? Nice to have you back!

In recent news...there's some more information regarding the ballot results, I think.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/htmlview#gid=729442469
I hope this isn't that accurate. I mean, Magnemite made the list, but not Sceptile?

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I hope this isn't that accurate. I mean, Magnemite made the list, but not Sceptile?
Depends on if it's based on what I think it's based on. The Source Gaming research only took into account the most wanted characters for the places they looked at. One thing I've noticed is that while Sceptile is decently supported, most of that support is as a secondary character. He's not the first request for hardly anyone--myself included--but he is on a lot on Top 3 or Top 5 lists for people, and isn't really disliked except by those who think Pokémon shouldn't get any more characters. Sceptile's chances ultimately come down to whether the Smash team will only take first requests into account or of they're also looking at extra votes, and how much they've been following the fanbase in their support. If it's the former, we may be out of luck...but if it's the latter, Sceptile is a sleeper.

In fact, someone over in the Krystal thread was crunching numbers regarding that massive character poll Source Gaming is currently doing. They were comparing how many 5 (the highest rating) votes characters got, and Sceptile had the 12th most! Considering the Top 10 includes several third party characters who'd likely be lower priority due either to how much more difficult they'd be to implement or how completely impractical getting their rights would be, that's actually pretty good.

Oh, and Magnemite is more or less a joke suggestion over in Japan. It's like their equivalent to Lanky Kong.

Last edited:

M16s PwN

Smash Cadet
Depends on if it's based on what I think it's based on. The Source Gaming research only took into account the most wanted characters for the places they looked at. One thing I've noticed is that while Sceptile is decently supported, most of that support is as a secondary character. He's not the first request for hardly anyone--myself included--but he is on a lot on Top 3 or Top 5 lists for people, and isn't really disliked except by those who think Pokémon shouldn't get any more characters. Sceptile's chances ultimately come down to whether the Smash team will only take first requests into account or of they're also looking at extra votes, and how much they've been following the fanbase in their support. If it's the former, we may be out of luck...but if it's the latter, Sceptile is a sleeper.

In fact, someone over in the Krystal thread was crunching numbers regarding that massive character poll Source Gaming is currently doing. They were comparing how many 5 (the highest rating) votes characters got, and Sceptile had the 12th most! Considering the Top 10 includes several third party characters who'd likely be lower priority due either to how much more difficult they'd be to implement or how completely impractical getting their rights would be, that's actually pretty good.

Oh, and Magnemite is more or less a joke suggestion over in Japan. It's like their equivalent to Lanky Kong.
But you can't deny that Lanky Kong would be hilarious.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Still, the point remains. Magnemite gets brought up over there when people are just joking around but don't feel like being complete trolls by suggesting Goku, Shrek, et al.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
So if you guys had to pick a backup if Sceptile doesn't get in, who would it be? Mine's either Snake or Phoenix Wright.
I don't really know to be honest. There aren't any other characters I want as badly. Although... it would be extremely funny to see more joke/random/troll picks like Savvy Stylist, Dr. Lobe, or Mahjong Tile.

EDIT: Actually, Yooka-Laylee is my second-most wanted, but his chances are very, very slim since Banjo-Kazooie are more popular and have seniority.

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
So if you guys had to pick a backup if Sceptile doesn't get in, who would it be? Mine's either Snake or Phoenix Wright.
Sceptile is actually tied with Snake for third on my list of top DLC picks. Krystal takes the number two spot, and Wolf rightfully earns my number one slot

Top Bottom