• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Forest Master Rises! Sceptile for Smash Bros! Over 100 supporters!!!

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Probably Venusaur, I really wanna see a grass Pokemon. If we're talking about non Pokemon then Banjo Kazooie. Idrc about anyone else.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
So if you guys had to pick a backup if Sceptile doesn't get in, who would it be? Mine's either Snake or Phoenix Wright.
My #1 is Hayabusa, so him I guess. Tails and Knuckles are tied with Sceptile for 2nd.

PF9

Smash Lord
It just so happens that Ash owns a Sceptile (which he caught as a Treecko). If Sceptile gets in, my headcanons will have Ash's Sceptile as the one in Smash. I think Sceptile is an interesting choice.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Sceptile's #3 on my own list, actually. Top billing goes to either Krystal or Delphox (the former being more plausible, but I'm getting kind of known for the latter now, lol), and behind Sceptile are Isaac and K. Rool.

Then as far as long shots go, there's Absol, Geno, Wolf Link & Midna, Rundas, Black Mage...

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
It just so happens that Ash owns a Sceptile (which he caught as a Treecko). If Sceptile gets in, my headcanons will have Ash's Sceptile as the one in Smash. I think Sceptile is an interesting choice.
Are the Pikachu, and Charizard in Smash the same ones that Ash owns?

Last edited:

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Sceptile's #3 on my own list, actually. Top billing goes to either Krystal or Delphox (the former being more plausible, but I'm getting kind of known for the latter now, lol), and behind Sceptile are Isaac and K. Rool.

Then as far as long shots go, there's Absol, Geno, Wolf Link & Midna, Rundas, Black Mage...
Wolf Link? Is that a fusion character or something?

I don't think so, they both have a lot of different moves and Charizard is able to Mega Evolve and Ash's can't. The lack of an Iron Tail on Pikachu kinda proves that one for me, it's one of his signature moves.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Wolf Link? Is that a fusion character or something?
How much do you know about The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess? That game's particular incarnation of Link gains the ability to shapeshift into a wolf. So it'd be that Link, in wolf form, with Midna riding on him, combining both of their abilities into a moveset no other character could match.

And since Midna's already an Assist Trophy, it almost assuredly won't happen.

Last edited:

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
How much do you know about The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess? That game's particular incarnation of Link gains the ability to shapeshift into a wolf. So it'd be that Link, in wolf form, with Midna riding on him, combining both of their abilities into a moveset no other character could match.

And since Midna's already an Assist Trophy, it almost assuredly won't happen.
Ahh wow now I feel dumb, I was just poking fun of you assuming you meant to say "Wolf, Young Link" that never even crossed my mind.

PF9

Smash Lord
yes they are, at least in my headcanons, however, Ash's Charizard only started competing in the Smash 4 era, previously we had Pokemon Trainer's Charizard in the Brawl era

Zane13pyro

Smash Journeyman
well there is a lot of pokemon in smash already and that's not including the pokeballs and masterballs but good luck out there ... I voted for Geno because I feel he is a nice pick :)

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
well there is a lot of pokemon in smash already and that's not including the pokeballs and masterballs but good luck out there ... I voted for Geno because I feel he is a nice pick :)
There may be quite a lot of Pokémon in Smash already, but look at how many Mario characters there are. Number of reps shouldn't be a factor in deciding new DLC characters. The potential and number of unique characters in a franchise does. Pokémon and Fire Emblem are both the kings in this department. You could end up picking a random character from either franchise, and chances are, that character could end up being a unique and fun addition. Certain other franchises such as Metroid, on the other hand, have a very small number of potential characters to choose from. That's just my two cents though. You can feel free to disagree.

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
There may be quite a lot of Pokémon in Smash already, but look at how many Mario characters there are. Number of reps shouldn't be a factor in deciding new DLC characters. The potential and number of unique characters in a franchise does. Pokémon and Fire Emblem are both the kings in this department. You could end up picking a random character from either franchise, and chances are, that character could end up being a unique and fun addition. Certain other franchises such as Metroid, on the other hand, have a very small number of potential characters to choose from. That's just my two cents though. You can feel free to disagree.
Adding to this, Pokemon has the exact same number of reps from last game since we lost Squirtle and Ivysaur from Brawl and gained Greninja and Mewtwo in return. Pre-Mewtwo we even had a net loss. From my perspective at least, franchises should be gaining characters or at least retaining the amount of characters each game. *sheds a tear for Star Fox* While you could say that Mewtwo fixed that situation for Pokemon, getting one or two more reps doesn't seem Farfetch'd to me especially since Pokemon is one of Nintendo's most popular franchises and has hundreds of characters that would fit really well in Smash Bros.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Adding to this, Pokemon has the exact same number of reps from last game since we lost Squirtle and Ivysaur from Brawl and gained Greninja and Mewtwo in return. Pre-Mewtwo we even had a net loss. From my perspective at least, franchises should be gaining characters or at least retaining the amount of characters each game. *sheds a tear for Star Fox* While you could say that Mewtwo fixed that situation for Pokemon, getting one or two more reps doesn't seem Farfetch'd to me especially since Pokemon is one of Nintendo's most popular franchises and has hundreds of characters that would fit really well in Smash Bros.
Pokemon (and Fire Emblem to a degree) are the only franchises in Smash to share the same "downside" of having far too many options for Smash characters. It's hard to rally around a single character. FE is easy because you usually default to the Lord, Avatar, and such. With Pokemon it's a lot trickier. Hence why I'm glad Sceptile seems to be the one with most rallied support.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
On the topic of who I'd want if Sceptile didn't get in, I'd want any notable Grass type pokemon, Krystal, Wolf, or Solid Snake.

Sceptile is my #1 anticipated DLC choice though.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
By the way, it's a little sudden, but if you've been following Rate Their Chances at all, they're re-rating Sceptile today! Things got a little...one-sided the first time Sceptile came up, and so if any of you have wanted to pitch in before, now's the chance to make your voice known!

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
By the way, it's a little sudden, but if you've been following Rate Their Chances at all, they're re-rating Sceptile today! Things got a little...one-sided the first time Sceptile came up, and so if any of you have wanted to pitch in before, now's the chance to make your voice known!
You pretty much covered everything that needed to be covered in there, bravo. I don't even know what to post after that, great post.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
You pretty much covered everything that needed to be covered in there, bravo. I don't even know what to post after that, great post.
The ratings are pretty important in and of themselves. Just be reasonable with them, okay? No ridiculously high scores, and no deliberately skewing the numbers.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
My post has been typed. I felt it was decent.:shades:

Seriously though, more grass effects is something I want in this game. I'm almost getting a bit bored when I'm watching so many sword & piercing effects along with Flame effects that practically more than half the roster possesses at least one fire-type attack. And then I see like 3 characters having water. Jigglypuff has a Flower DoT for Rest & that doesn't even make sense.

Bottom line is I want more effects that are new & fresh on the eyes that look good & appealing. Mega Man's Leaf Shield getting buffed more & more patch after patch means I see the move more often, but it doesn't give me enough grass justice so-to-speak. Nosferatu has a neat concept to the move, but how many times do I see Robins use this on me? Like 2 or 3 times if not just once a match. . .

I want that flair of game-play that wants me to buy the DLC to play the character for many reasons other than it just looking cool, & Sceptile is my answer to that.

Last edited:

KingCasual

Smash Cadet
Before SSB for Wii U came out I had a top three: Sceptile, Ridley, and Mewtwo. Mewtwo got in, Ridley's a stage hazard and so now I'm just fighting for Sceptile. Since my other two are out of the equation I'm not sure who I'd be championing if not for Sceptile. I do want King K. Rool in, but I think he's got a pretty good following as it is. I love Banjo & Kazooie, but for me Duck Hunt stole a lot of their SSB thunder (big brown mammals with birds on their backs) so I can't get that excited about them. Maybe Bobmerman. I'm not his biggest fan, I think the only game of his I've played was Bomberman 64. I just think he'd be a ton of fun as a Smash fighter. I don't know; I've voted for a lot of characters but the only one I've voted for with any frequency is Sceptile.

At first I just wanted him in because he's one of my favorite pokémon and I thought it'd be pretty cool to have a fully evolved grass starter in the roster to complete the trio. It wasn't until I started following this thread did I realize he had a ton of unique and awesome moveset potential. That just sealed the deal and I've been gung-ho about Sceptile ever since!

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
My post has been typed. I felt it was decent.:shades:

Seriously though, more grass effects is something I want in this game. I'm almost getting a bit bored when I'm watching so many sword & piercing effects along with Flame effects that practically more than half the roster possesses at least one fire-type attack. And then I see like 3 characters having water. Jigglypuff has a Flower DoT for Rest & that doesn't even make sense.

Bottom line is I want more effects that are new & fresh on the eyes that look good & appealing. Mega Man's Leaf Shield getting buffed more & more patch after patch means I see the move more often, but it doesn't give me enough grass justice so-to-speak. Nosferatu has a neat concept to the move, but how many times do I see Robins use this on me? Like 2 or 3 times if not just once a match. . .

I want that flair of game-play that wants me to buy the DLC to play the character for many reasons other than it just looking cool, & Sceptile is my answer to that.
I agree. There really are too many fire-esque attacks is this game. I know that fire is an extremely popular element, but it wouldn't kill them to include more diversity.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Right. The nature of water attacks usually come down to them having a push or pull effect of some kind. Flame honestly doesn't do much except thaw frozen characters & becomes useless against Olimar's Red pikmin. At least with Grass, it could be a mixture of slash, sleep, Bury?, Flower, grass, stab, & solar.

Grass is a no-brainer. Slash & stab can come from Sceptile claws & his leaf blades. Sleep can come from a grass-type attack that could put that status on someone & it wouldn't be that uncommon. Bury could be a possibility but I also find it not likely to be there. Flower makes sense. Solar can definitely make sense with how Sceptile can store sunlight in his seeds.

Other effects that would definitely look "wow" & interesting on Sceptile would be: Electric, Freezing, Paralyze (Stun spore? Lol), Slip (Grass Knot), or something else.

Last edited:

SnowmanEX711

Smash Cadet
I just saw the thread, and wow, has Sceptile support gone down the drain. Oh well, at least this thread is still around for Sceptile support.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
It's more that RTC tends to attract some of the boards' louder voices, and Sceptile is one of those characters that a lot of those louder voices see as competition. It's as if they think if we get any characters from larger franchises, it rules out getting characters from smaller ones. Or it might be because it seems like a lot of the regulars that remain there now don't think we're getting much more as far as DLC goes.

KingCasual

Smash Cadet
That's good! Top 40 is good in and of itself, but I think the real good news comes in the numbers behind the ranking, not the ranking itself. Characters are ranked by the average of their votes. But if you look at Sceptile's specific numbers he has a lot more 5 votes than any characters near him in the rankings. He also has a lot more 1 votes, leading me to think that the main reason Sceptile is so low in the rankings is the infamous "we don't need more pokémon" crowd. As I've pointed out the official ballot doesn't reflect the opinions of naysayers so the 5 votes in my opinion are a more accurate gauge of his success than vote average. By that measure Sceptile seems to be doing great; he's even got more 5 votes than a couple of characters in the top 15!

I know there are countless ways you can look at and analyze this data. I was just sharing what conclusions I gleaned from the data and it's looking pretty decent for Sceptile!

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
That's good! Top 40 is good in and of itself, but I think the real good news comes in the numbers behind the ranking, not the ranking itself. Characters are ranked by the average of their votes. But if you look at Sceptile's specific numbers he has a lot more 5 votes than any characters near him in the rankings. He also has a lot more 1 votes, leading me to think that the main reason Sceptile is so low in the rankings is the infamous "we don't need more pokémon" crowd. As I've pointed out the official ballot doesn't reflect the opinions of naysayers so the 5 votes in my opinion are a more accurate gauge of his success than vote average. By that measure Sceptile seems to be doing great; he's even got more 5 votes than a couple of characters in the top 15!

I know there are countless ways you can look at and analyze this data. I was just sharing what conclusions I gleaned from the data and it's looking pretty decent for Sceptile!
Yeah. I'm honestly excited to see who scores high on the ballot, no matter what. It would be nice to get more newcomers. So far, most of the DLC characters have been veterans, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I would love to see some new faces get into Smash and get more recognition. Even if Sceptile doesn't become a DLC character, it's nice to see him get as much support as he did.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hello everyone! I'm doing a thing on Twitter and I want this fan base to be involved! Is there a certain/fan Twitter account I can tag?

Last edited:

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
I just got finished making "What If Sceptile Was Announced For SSB4? [Fan-Made Trailer]" video. I think the video turn out really good.... :001:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I just got finished making "What If Sceptile Was Announced For SSB4? [Fan-Made Trailer]" video. I think the video turn out really good.... :001:
Oh... oh wow! This looks great! Amazing even! I think the only thing I would change is the camera zooming into Mega Sceptile at the end of the trailer. Maybe having the Wally theme from OR/AS instead of the R/S trainer battle remix would be ideal as well. Other than that, excellent job! This makes me want Sceptile even more than I already did!

Hmm. I suppose if Sceptile doesn't make it into Smash, then hopefully he can get into Pokken Tournament. He deserves that much at least.

KingCasual

Smash Cadet
That is awesome! What's that Sceptile/Swampert sequence from?

Hello everyone! I'm doing a thing on Twitter and I want this fan base to be involved! Is there a certain/fan Twitter account I can tag?
Does no one on here have an active Twitter account? I could give you my account. I haven't touched it in years, but I'd rather give an inactive account than let Sceptile go unrepresented in whatever you're doing.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
According to Google, it's now 3:18 A.M., September 30 in Japan. Do you think we'll get any other announcements besides the Super Mario Maker stage, such as more of the dreaded, dream-crushing Mii Costumes?

KingCasual

Smash Cadet
According to Google, it's now 3:18 A.M., September 30 in Japan. Do you think we'll get any other announcements besides the Super Mario Maker stage, such as more of the dreaded, dream-crushing Mii Costumes?
Huh, I'd actually never thought about it. But now that you brought it up: we won't get any new characters. We'll get another stage if the speculation is true (the odd positioning of the Mario Maker stage in screen shots, the suspicious numbering on the Smash Bros. website) but I don't think we'll get more Mii costumes. So probably just the Super Mario Maker stage, possibly one more surprise stage.

Though watch. Maybe they decided Pokémon should have a Mii costume and we'll be presented with a Sceptile costume. Then we'll all cry.

Top Bottom