• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Forest Master Rises! Sceptile for Smash Bros! Over 100 supporters!!!

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
If Sceptile got in the game, what Final Smash would you want to see him have? I would personally love to see something where he Mega Evolves, has his yellow-orange seed pods glow, and then unleashes a Solar-beam attack that comes out of his mouth.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
If Sceptile got in the game, what Final Smash would you want to see him have? I would personally love to see something where he Mega Evolves, has his yellow-orange seed pods glow, and then unleashes a Solar-beam attack that comes out of his mouth.
Oh I'm sure it would involve his Mega Evolution somehow, every Pokemon so far uses it to some degree that has one. Mega Lucario is basically a buff for Lucario. Charizard becomes Mega Charizard X to move about freely with a few attacks (like Yoshi's Super Dragon). Mewtwo becomes Mega Mewtwo Y to pull off a single powerful attack if it catches opponents ala Link's FS.

All 3 use Mega Evolutions but to all completely different purposes. I'm sure Mega Sceptile could simply use Solar Beam that would simply catch, damage, and launch anyone caught in it kinda like a successor to Triple Finish.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Oh I'm sure it would involve his Mega Evolution somehow, every Pokemon so far uses it to some degree that has one. Mega Lucario is basically a buff for Lucario. Charizard becomes Mega Charizard X to move about freely with a few attacks (like Yoshi's Super Dragon). Mewtwo becomes Mega Mewtwo Y to pull off a single powerful attack if it catches opponents ala Link's FS.

All 3 use Mega Evolutions but to all completely different purposes. I'm sure Mega Sceptile could simply use Solar Beam that would simply catch, damage, and launch anyone caught in it kinda like a successor to Triple Finish.
Hmm. On the other hand, Solar Beam might feel too similar to Samus's FS and Lucario's Brawl FS. I've got another idea. After Mega Evolving, Mega Sceptile would rapidly strike opponents with a furious combo of Leaf Blade strikes finished off with Grass Knot or Magical Leaf.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
There's also the fact that the Treecko line doesn't learn Solar Beam naturally...
Robin's Tactician class can't use Nosferatu and Ness can't use many of the moves he uses.

This is Smash.

I don't recall Charizard learning Rock Smash naturally either?

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Robin's Tactician class can't use Nosferatu and Ness can't use many of the moves he uses.

This is Smash.

I don't recall Charizard learning Rock Smash naturally either?
But when you're talking Final Smashes, the pinnacle of a character's abilities, you want it to be true to character to some extent.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
But when you're talking Final Smashes, the pinnacle of a character's abilities, you want it to be true to character to some extent.
Like that one time in Super Mario Whatsit that Bowser turned into Giga Bowser. Or that time in Pokemon Somethingoranother that Jigglypuff grew to 20 times her size. Or that one time Ness used PK Starstorm in Earthbound against Porky. Or Greninja's "Secret Ninja Attack".

The point is, Smash isn't 100% canon. Pikachu can't learn Volt Tackle on its own, it had to be breed specifically in order to obtain it.

Why Solar Beam of all moves that Sceptile can't learn naturally? Because it's the Rule of Cool, and it's a grass type move so why the hell not.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
The point is, Smash isn't 100% canon. Pikachu can't learn Volt Tackle on its own, it had to be breed specifically in order to obtain it.

Why Solar Beam of all moves that Sceptile can't learn naturally? Because it's the Rule of Cool, and it's a grass type move so why the hell not.
Why limit ourselves to it when there're other options that work better for the character? What about upscaling Leaf Storm into a massive swath of leaves that shreds through everyone in range? Or how about Frenzy Plant (a move that could use a new, less clunky name), making gigantic plants rise from nowhere? Or even a climactic flurry of slashes inspired by Leaf Blade and Fury Cutter? And that's without making Mega Sceptile be a passive Final Smash, strengthening Sceptile's stats while adapting the Lightning Rod ability into a permanent Gravitational Pull effect that draws in and nullifies any projectiles that get too close!

My point is, there's a lot to work with here. Why settle for the easy option that also isn't as true to character as all of these others?

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Why limit ourselves to it when there're other options that work better for the character? What about upscaling Leaf Storm into a massive swath of leaves that shreds through everyone in range? Or how about Frenzy Plant (a move that could use a new, less clunky name), making gigantic plants rise from nowhere? Or even a climactic flurry of slashes inspired by Leaf Blade and Fury Cutter? And that's without making Mega Sceptile be a passive Final Smash, strengthening Sceptile's stats while adapting the Lightning Rod ability into a permanent Gravitational Pull effect that draws in and nullifies any projectiles that get too close!

My point is, there's a lot to work with here. Why settle for the easy option that also isn't as true to character as all of these others?
I'm not saying Solar Beam is the BEST option, I'm simply saying it's an option, and that there's precedence for characters using moves they don't normally use in their source material.

KingCasual

Smash Cadet
I don't think they're competing with each other at all, really...well, not directly. Their abilities are vastly different, and since uniqueness seems to be a big deal when the developers pick newcomers, one getting in wouldn't make the other feel redundant. It'd only be a problem if they put an arbitrary cap on how many characters a series could gain...and considering they added three Mario characters to the base roster, added four Pokémon characters to Brawl, and added four Zelda characters to Melee, I don't feel like it's the instant deal breaker so many treat it as.

As it stands, though, Sceptile is definitely the more likely of the two...unless Delphox sneaks in pre-Ballot, which isn't entirely out of the question if she was one of the Gen 6 mons they looked at early in development when they chose Greninja...
That's true, they would have completely different play styles. I do doubt they have a series cap. I'm just thinking in terms of voters. There are people like me whose favorite Smash franchise is Pokémon, so no matter what I was going to root for another Pokémon character. If I didn't like the idea of Sceptile so much I probably would be funneling all of my votes to Delphox instead. So in that sense they're competing. That's an interesting point, that they could have looked at Delphox in development. Is that just a theory or do you have something to back that up? I was under the impression that it was always just Greninja, though I can't find the article that gave me that impression.

So many possibilities! It's all just getting me pumped for Sceptile to be in Smash! I'm partial to Frenzy Plant:
Sceptile himself would mega evolve and be stationary (in an intense concentrative state, perhaps surrounded by a green glow) and a bunch of damaging roots would sprout randomly across the stage for a few seconds. Each root would act similarly to Villager's growing tree. It would be unique and true to the original game!

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
What would you want Sceptile's physical appearance to be based off on? He's had quite a lot of designs, including ones from: Pokémon Colosseum, Pokémon R/S/E, Pokémon D/P/Pt, Pokémon B/W/B2/W2, Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS, Pokémon Conquest, and the anime. I would personally want a combination of two or more designs.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
That's true, they would have completely different play styles. I do doubt they have a series cap. I'm just thinking in terms of voters. There are people like me whose favorite Smash franchise is Pokémon, so no matter what I was going to root for another Pokémon character. If I didn't like the idea of Sceptile so much I probably would be funneling all of my votes to Delphox instead. So in that sense they're competing. That's an interesting point, that they could have looked at Delphox in development. Is that just a theory or do you have something to back that up? I was under the impression that it was always just Greninja, though I can't find the article that gave me that impression.
It's mostly speculation on my part, but it follows a logical process:

We know how they chose Greninja. Even though roster talk for Smash 4 started a little over a year before the release of Pokémon X and Y, they decided it'd be a good idea to have a Pokémon from Gen 6 in Smash since X and Y would be a year old by the time Smash 4 was out. But since the new mons were only a ways into development themselves, all they had to work with for Greninja were (finalized) design documents, with concept art, design notes, et cetera. They liked what they saw, went forward with Greninja, and based on how popular the 'mon is, they made a good choice.

...But what other mons would they have looked at? It wouldn't make sense for them to only have one candidate from Gen 6. There's a pretty good chance they had other candidates as well, others that just didn't measure up as well as Greninja did. And if there were other mons, then as a prominent starter Pokémon of the popular Fire type, the first in a long time to not become part Fighting, and with a spellcaster motif when mages are always popular, Delphox would have been one of the other mons they looked at.

...Along with probably Chesnaught, Sylveon, and Hawlucha. Hard to say. Like I said, just a theory of mine.

But it'd still mean those characters had a foot in the door. And if the developers just happened to get interested in one of them even though they were passed up on before? Who knows? Maybe we'll see one pre-Ballot. Maybe the fact that I keep running into fringe Delphox support in places could mean something.

But enough about my character, lol. Sceptile's chances (imo) lie mostly on the Smash Ballot and on looking like a more compelling option than Ivysaur.

FangedSniper

Smash Apprentice
Final smash? c'mon guys, this is Sceptile. Mega Evolve him and use Mega drain , healing him and hurting others. him taking too much health from somebody would be an instant KO.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
I enjoy the amount of creativity and possible ideas that can go into just his Final Smash. Personally I'm all for any idea since I'm prepared to primary this character if and whenever he's confirmed DLC.
What would you want Sceptile's physical appearance to be based off on? He's had quite a lot of designs, including ones from: Pokémon Colosseum, Pokémon R/S/E, Pokémon D/P/Pt, Pokémon B/W/B2/W2, Pokémon X/Y/OR/AS, Pokémon Conquest, and the anime. I would personally want a combination of two or more designs.
I'm not sure if there was any design differences between Colosseum or XD: GoD or Revolution, but if there was I'd have that. I'm in the same boat for wanting a mixture of two or more designs atm.

EDIT: Btw I'll look through the pages to find those who support the Forest Master. I'll PM Sonic Poke the supporters.:shades:

EDIT2: Done. Now I want to know if @theenlightenedone , @Dizzy_Fool , @Luigifan18 , and @Zachmac are supporters who wanted to be on the supporters list? Message me or @ Sonic Poke Sonic Poke and let either of us know, or just let SP know.:p

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Hey while watching the Pokken Fighters stream, and I noticed something in the background of one of the stages. In the backgrounds of the stages in the game, there are other Pokemon sitting back and watching. However, in one of the stages, there was a park in the background. In the park, there were two statues of Pokemon, facing each other as if ready to fight. They were Combusken, Blaziken's pre-evolution, and Grovyle. Normally, I would dismiss it, but it was only Grovyle and Combusken. No Marshtomp to complete the trio. Purely speculation of there being a little hint, but I thought I'd mention it.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Hey while watching the Pokken Fighters stream, and I noticed something in the background of one of the stages. In the backgrounds of the stages in the game, there are other Pokemon sitting back and watching. However, in one of the stages, there was a park in the background. In the park, there were two statues of Pokemon, facing each other as if ready to fight. They were Combusken, Blaziken's pre-evolution, and Grovyle. Normally, I would dismiss it, but it was only Grovyle and Combusken. No Marshtomp to complete the trio. Purely speculation of there being a little hint, but I thought I'd mention it.
Well, if we somehow aren't able get Sceptile into Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS, then getting Sceptile in Pokken Tournament would be the next best thing.

Back on the subject of Sm4sh though, one important thing to consider is that Japan has a lot of influence over what Sakurai includes in the games. For example, even though many people in the west may consider Fire Emblem to be a niche franchise, it's a very popular series in Japan, which helps explain why it got five reps, besides Sakurai's bias of course. How popular is Sceptile in Japan? This could be an important question.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Well, if we somehow aren't able get Sceptile into Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS, then getting Sceptile in Pokken Tournament would be the next best thing.

Back on the subject of Sm4sh though, one important thing to consider is that Japan has a lot of influence over what Sakurai includes in the games. For example, even though many people in the west may consider Fire Emblem to be a niche franchise, it's a very popular series in Japan, which helps explain why it got five reps, besides Sakurai's bias of course. How popular is Sceptile in Japan? This could be an important question.

Apparently not very popular according to this.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/22/japantopdlcpart1/

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Apparently not very popular according to this.

http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/22/japantopdlcpart1/
He said there were other characters he hasn't yet mentioned...so...jury's out for now, I suppose.

Even if Sceptile isn't as big a deal in Japan, it's not as if the Western fanbase--where Sceptile's support might actually be midrange--doesn't matter. Little Mac got into the base game despite the Japanese being pretty meh in general about him.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I know that if Sceptile got into Sm4sh, he would just have the same victory theme as the rest of the Pokémon, but what if every character had their own unique theme? I would love Sceptile's victory theme to be the first six seconds from the OR/AS Wally Battle theme.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sX_54hHcEE

Edit: Right now our thread has lagged behind to the third page, but I can't bring the thread back to the top unless someone else posts, first. We need all the help we can get badly!

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
For me, it's Sceptile/Grovyle and Wolf were to be DLC, I wouldn't even care anymore if Shrek and indie characters would make it in. I legit really want Sceptile and Wolf. Just read my name, Lmao

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
For me, it's Sceptile/Grovyle and Wolf were to be DLC, I wouldn't even care anymore if Shrek and indie characters would make it in. I legit really want Sceptile and Wolf. Just read my name, Lmao
Thanks for helping bump up this thread. Everyone's support is very important. I just recently made a post on Miiverse to support Sceptile some more. I'm not a very good artist, so please forgive me for this post, but anyways, here it is. I hope everyone likes it: https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAADVHkZqOO0tg

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Alright! I support sceptile as a DLC character now! I will keep updating my profile, so expect me to post here more often than not. Good luck Sceptile! And I hope you win a spot in the Top 3 DLC character slots for the win!

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Alright! I support sceptile as a DLC character now! I will keep updating my profile, so expect me to post here more often than not. Good luck Sceptile! And I hope you win a spot in the Top 3 DLC character slots for the win!
Thanks for your support! To be honest, it would be really cool to have both Sceptile and Dragonite playable in a Smash game. It's a shame that there's only a limited amount of slots available for characters. There are so many Pokémon that would work well in Smash and be unique.

I had another idea for Sceptile. These could be his alts:
1) Blue body with dark blue tail and light blue seed pods
2) Pink body with red tail and dark red seed pods
3) Lavender body with purple tail and violet seed pods
4) Light yellow body with yellow tail and green seed pods
5) Gray body with black tail and white seed pods
6) Orange body with dark orange tail and yellow-orange seed pods
7) Dark brown body with brown tail and black seed pods

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Top 3? Who said anything about having to make an arbitrary Top 3?
Thanks for your support! To be honest, it would be really cool to have both Sceptile and Dragonite playable in a Smash game. It's a shame that there's only a limited amount of slots available for characters. There are so many Pokémon that would work well in Smash and be unique.
And who said anything about "slots"?

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Top 3? Who said anything about having to make an arbitrary Top 3?

And who said anything about "slots"?
Sorry. I must have used the wrong word. What I was trying to say was that the chances of getting another Pokémon character are already very low as it is, so they wouldn't be able to fit in more than one, if any at all. And I don't think there will be a Top 3 either. Heck, I don't know if there will even be a "winner." Wasn't it mentioned at some point that the Smash Ballot was just a suggestion box?

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Sorry. I must have used the wrong word. What I was trying to say was that the chances of getting another Pokémon character are already very low as it is, so they wouldn't be able to fit in more than one, if any at all. And I don't think there will be a Top 3 either. Heck, I don't know if there will even be a "winner." Wasn't it mentioned at some point that the Smash Ballot was just a suggestion box?
True, if it really is a popularity test, Shrek would have one this in no time.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
They haven't said anything official, but it seems more likely that it's a way to nominate characters, not a straight up contest for votes. I wouldn't call it just a suggestion box, because they'll probably favor the more popular vote-getters, but my guess is they'll still look for characters with a lot of potential who can bring new things to the roster, like what they did with the initial group of newcomers.

It's just an educated guess, but if it's on the money, Sceptile has a pretty decent chance. A long time fan favorite character who happens to be in the spotlight at the moment and whose abilities would be completely unique since there's currently no one with plant-based powers?

Even being a second Pokémon character isn't a deal breaker, if you ask me. This whole idea that we'd only get one DLC character per series is based on hearsay and has no precedent. Even if someone wants to play the "reps" card, Pokémon is Nintendo's second biggest series, and yet even when you include Mewtwo it merely broke even in Smash 4 while Mario gained three characters.

Last edited:

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
Sceptile would be a great addition to have for super smash bros DLC! Other than adding Dragonite, I agree that Sceptile would make a great agile fighter, with quick speed and reflexes too.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
They haven't said anything official, but it seems more likely that it's a way to nominate characters, not a straight up contest for votes. I wouldn't call it just a suggestion box, because they'll probably favor the more popular vote-getters, but my guess is they'll still look for characters with a lot of potential who can bring new things to the roster, like what they did with the initial group of newcomers.

It's just an educated guess, but if it's on the money, Sceptile has a pretty decent chance. A long time fan favorite character who happens to be in the spotlight at the moment and whose abilities would be completely unique since there's currently no one with plant-based powers?

Even being a second Pokémon character isn't a deal breaker, if you ask me. This whole idea that we'd only get one DLC character per series is based on hearsay and has no precedent. Even if someone wants to play the "reps" card, Pokémon is Nintendo's second biggest series, and yet even when you include Mewtwo it merely broke even in Smash 4 while Mario gained three characters.
Yeah. I think you're right on the money. A lot of people say that Pokémon already has enough reps, yet there are also people clamoring for Paper Mario, Daisy, or another Fire Emblem character. Pokémon deserves to have at least one more rep.

On another note, there's been quite a bit of hype regarding online maintenance tomorrow. Some people think there will be another update with more characters and Mii Costumes. Realistically, though, I'm not expecting more news until October. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
I agree with you man. This thread has been so exciting to post on! I sincerely wish you good luck, and I will post here tommorow. Expect me to say some great things about sceptile, in order to gain support for my thread too! Follow @ BoltDragon BoltDragon .

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord

So who's hyped for Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon? I don't know that much about the game yet, but I do know that Treecko will be my main choice. I don't know who my partner Pokémon should be, though...

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
I'm super hyped for Pokemon Super Myster Dungeon! I can't wait to see if they add Sceptile or Dragonite! Hopefully they make a decent character selection from generation 1-3. I really feel obliged to post here more now. Honestly, your thread here is pretty sweet!

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Potential DLC today! Anyone else getting ready to be disappointed?

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I kinda doubt there'll be new DLC today, honestly. If there was, we'd have seen an announcement by now. I could see a balance patch, but probably nothing bigger than that.

Last edited:

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
BoltDragon said:
Honestly, your thread here is pretty sweet!
I didn't make this thread. SonicPoke did. You probably already knew that, but I just want to make sure I don't take credit for something I didn't do.

I kinda doubt there'll be new DLC today, honestly. If there was, we'd have seen an announcement by now. I could see a balance patch, but probably nothing bigger than that.
I agree. I think there will be a balance patch and nothing else. Inb4 Greninja is nerfed. heh

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
I started playing through ORAS again, chose Sceptile as my starter.

Such a great pokemon. Really hope he gets in.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I started playing through ORAS again, chose Sceptile as my starter.

Such a great pokemon. Really hope he gets in.
Thanks for your support! It's nice to see other people who love Sceptile. No offense to Blaziken fans, but I'm tired of having my favorite Pokémon constantly shoved out of the spotlight. I feel like this may be Sceptile's only opportunity to get the fame he truly deserves.

BoltDragon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mario_Seth
3DS FC
0989-2878-5909
I'm back to support Sceptile! Sorry i havent posted here for a while, but i was busy. Anywho, I will support Sceptile since he will complete the chain of three main types in Super Smash Bros. We already have :006:, and :4greninja:, now all we need is a grass type starter, and Sceptile is a perfect match for the Job!

Top Bottom