• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The End of Speculation

Azureo

Smash Cadet
NNID
XFrostheartX
3DS FC
4940-6338-3501
I'll stick around to learn about the metagame and chat a bit. Dunno if I can actually help and be productive since I'm less informed than most of you, but if anyone knows less than me, I'd gladly share the info I have and give them pointers.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
All good things must come to an end, right? Well, I'm preparing a small (I lie, It's gonna be long) post for the day before the Japanese release. It'll be the true last day of speculation. :)

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I definitely intend to stay. I came here because I was finally getting involved in the competitive community and was looking to find some tournaments as well as learn from others (it doesn't hurt that I'm in the DFW area either). Smash 4 speculation was just a fun after thought, but then I got sucked in and now I'm totally excited for the prospect of this new game. Like unbelievably excited to the point where it might not be very healthy...

Anyway, I know I've got a lot to learn about smash even though I consider myself a rather decent player. I'm not overly analytical, but I'm hoping to comment on something soon and make a good point using words like "frame-rate" and "hurt-box", and it's bound to happen soon. It's a goal anyway. Keep up the good work Smashboards! You make my life a little brighter! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
Once the games are out, so am I. Basically like my brawl days. I may lurk, I may follow the competitive metagame and root for my faves, but after the game is out this site has little more to offer me.

My favorite time to be on a forum is during speculation and prerelease periods. Everyone is on equal footing. No one knows more than anyone else and everyone is excited and invested in what's to come. I love those moments where we all cheer for a new character or gape in awe at the first new gameplay footage. Smashfest was heaven for me because all but 6 people were in heaven as well.

But my girlfriend is tired of me shaking my head at things I've seen here. She even went so far as to say Smogon is less brutal than here. Competitive smash, based on my experience here, is more serious than competitive pokemon, and I never would have thought that possible. The smash documentary and E3 invitational gave me new respect for the competitive guys and I understand better now, but I was recently reminded that this site is first and foremost all about the conpetition. And that's not me. I did my time on the Bulbagarden forums, civfanatics, serenes forest, brawl central, and various others. And when Sm4sh comes out on Wii U Smashboards will be joining that list. It's been an interesting run but I have no desire to use what little time I have to become competitive in Smash, nor will I be qualified or interested in discussing it. That's your guys's job. I wish you the best of luck.

TewnLeenk

Can pick up a boulder with relative ease
BRoomer
I'll be on here till Smash 5, 6, 7 and beyond.
Smashboards is by far the best gaming community I've ever been a part of.

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
A
Once the games are out, so am I. Basically like my brawl days. I may lurk, I may follow the competitive metagame and root for my faves, but after the game is out this site has little more to offer me.

My favorite time to be on a forum is during speculation and prerelease periods. Everyone is on equal footing. No one knows more than anyone else and everyone is excited and invested in what's to come. I love those moments where we all cheer for a new character or gape in awe at the first new gameplay footage. Smashfest was heaven for me because all but 6 people were in heaven as well.

But my girlfriend is tired of me shaking my head at things I've seen here. She even went so far as to say Smogon is less brutal than here. Competitive smash, based on my experience here, is more serious than competitive pokemon, and I never would have thought that possible. The smash documentary and E3 invitational gave me new respect for the competitive guys and I understand better now, but I was recently reminded that this site is first and foremost all about the conpetition. And that's not me. I did my time on the Bulbagarden forums, civfanatics, serenes forest, brawl central, and various others. And when Sm4sh comes out on Wii U Smashboards will be joining that list. It's been an interesting run but I have no desire to use what little time I have to become competitive in Smash, nor will I be qualified or interested in discussing it. That's your guys's job. I wish you the best of luck.
This pretty much hold for me as well.

The social and character aspects of the community? Those are awesome. The competitive side (which is the majority, and the focus of it)? Not so much.

But I take things further.

I'm a casual gamer. I play for fun, I play to relax, to disengage. I freely admit that I suck at the competitive game, but I also don't really want to improve. I kind of hate competition. I far prefer co-op.

What's more, Ryuu is right about the community. It's almost toxic to casuals. Right now, it's great because everyone is hyped about speculation and giving high-fives for character reveals. But ever lurking on the shadows is that hint of the competitive game, and the rancor that comes with it. For every thread discussing a cool quirk or character trait, there's another ripping apart some new feature. My first foray out of the character forums led me into a pit of negativity so bad that I actually stopped being hyped for the game for a day or two.

When the speculation and thrill of the novelty is gone, I don't think I want to be here. I don't want to see my beloved characters minced up bit by bit and declared nigh-worthless. I don't want to see the game's mechanics mocked and derided.

I just want a place where I can have fun talking about games. Heck, even in Smogon I could at least contribute to theory-crafting. But my few glimpses into the competitive level of Smash (and likely any othe fighting game, if I ever bothered to look) have been like looking at a completely different game.

I'm not a part of Smashboard's world. And I'm okay with that. I wish you all luck in your endeavors, and I hope like heck that you enjoy Smash4 as much as I think I'm going to. But I can't imagine I'll stick around to find out.

Maybe you guys will catch me on For Fun one of these days.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I intend to stay active here, just far less active. I will likely try to play against some of my friends here. And on the off chance someone here actually enjoys playing with items on, maybe I'll find a reliable online partner.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
A

This pretty much hold for me as well.

The social and character aspects of the community? Those are awesome. The competitive side (which is the majority, and the focus of it)? Not so much.

But I take things further.

I'm a casual gamer. I play for fun, I play to relax, to disengage. I freely admit that I suck at the competitive game, but I also don't really want to improve. I kind of hate competition. I far prefer co-op.

What's more, Ryuu is right about the community. It's almost toxic to casuals. Right now, it's great because everyone is hyped about speculation and giving high-fives for character reveals. But ever lurking on the shadows is that hint of the competitive game, and the rancor that comes with it. For every thread discussing a cool quirk or character trait, there's another ripping apart some new feature. My first foray out of the character forums led me into a pit of negativity so bad that I actually stopped being hyped for the game for a day or two.

When the speculation and thrill of the novelty is gone, I don't think I want to be here. I don't want to see my beloved characters minced up bit by bit and declared nigh-worthless. I don't want to see the game's mechanics mocked and derided.

I just want a place where I can have fun talking about games. Heck, even in Smogon I could at least contribute to theory-crafting. But my few glimpses into the competitive level of Smash (and likely any othe fighting game, if I ever bothered to look) have been like looking at a completely different game.

I'm not a part of Smashboard's world. And I'm okay with that. I wish you all luck in your endeavors, and I hope like heck that you enjoy Smash4 as much as I think I'm going to. But I can't imagine I'll stick around to find out.

Maybe you guys will catch me on For Fun one of these days.
Well, I hope we run into each other there. :) take care.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
I intend to stay active here, just far less active. I will likely try to play against some of my friends here. And on the off chance someone here actually enjoys playing with items on, maybe I'll find a reliable online partner.
Well hello there, potential online buddy.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I'm not going to lie, I'm not going to really be here after the games release. I mean, I still haven't even updated/added an avatar, and I've been here since pre-Brawl. Only reason I have a signature is because the text was here since Brawl, and the 'wishlist' was for something else entirely.

I mean, I barely post here as it is, and when I do, I don't really follow up because I leave the thread right after and then I see 6 pages or more are after someone told me I'm an idiot, so bringing it up would just make me look like a fool.

I ride on speculation and early discussion. This happens with games and some music and a few other things. I read and participate in this part. Debating/arguing why things are likely/unlikely, and then giving my opinions once I've had a thorough go myself.

After that period, I just focus on actually enjoying whatever the thing is. So I'll be playing SSB instead of talking about it. Especially since I'll just get frustrated when I see people trashing aspects I happen to like.

I'll eventually return, to check in, and then flee to other games, and any discussion I have on the game will likely be on a general Nintendo site (since it's all just pooled into one topic) or a social network to friends, or Miiverse, but that's about it.

After that, I likely won't be here until Smash 5.

ALTHOUGH, I will definitely return for DLC discussion, should it arise.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly too early to tell for me.

I joined after Melee, but was put off by the technical terms and in depth analysis on frame data...but I was a lot younger then, so maybe I'll stick around?

I'm a Graphic Designer and thus am more excited about creative possibilities, fan demand and looking at what if scenarios more than data collecting though so I'll probably be far less active than I currently am.

However the people I've met speculating here are more than likely the ones I'd stay for more than the community as a whole.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Don't know if I count for much, but I intend to stay to the best of my ability. I'm thinking about going competitive with this game, and if not, then I'll at least be supporting the competitive community somehow.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
The End of Speculation

I have been thinking about this for quite some time. With the release of the 3DS looming closer and closer, we are being treated to more and more information. Last year’s E3 was, quite honestly, one of my favorites because of the Smash announcement. Since then, every day has been filled with surprise, happiness, meh'ness, or disappointment when the PotD is released. Weekends are spent waiting for Monday to come so we can see more of the game. The Direct was like an early Christmas withj tons of information being presented. I have watched both the E3 trailer and the Direct at least 20 times each; just to digest and bask in the pre-release speculation hype.

The Birth of the Smash 4 Forums

Now is the best time to be a Super Smash Bros. fan because it is new, exciting, and enriching. We don't know what lies in store for us in the next few months but the excitement, the hype flows from every post, every thread, and every user. It can be intoxicating.

With the release of the Wii U will end the era of speculation. The 3DS release may end the character speculation with the exception of DLC character though a deconfirmation of DLC content will be the final nail in that speculation scene.

We are looking at the final moments of the Super Smash Bros. 4 speculation which has spanned since the release of Brawl. It first started out as its own thread in the Brawl General Discussion until several weeks after E3 2013 when it received its own board and it's first moderator.

From there, the Super Smash Bros. 4 Discussion Thread blossomed to an entire forum board dedicated to speculation. Fast forward a full year and now we know of 30 total characters (prior to the 0 we knew before E3), more moderators, have at least 300 more users, and even more topics and posts. But with the release of the games will come the final death toll for speculation.

What comes Next?

Typically, after the release of the game will result in an investigation of the meta-game. The first few months after the release will continue to be composed of speculation but will consist mostly of analyzation and discussion of character meta-games and game play. Back after Brawl, many thought Meta Knight would be mid tier due to a perceived lack of killing moves. Yet now he is in S class. In retrospect, that is pretty humorous and, as we all know, history will repeat itself.

This era will bring out a different type of Smasher: one dedicated to finding out different things about the characters, the meta-game, and competitive play. Instead of speculative threads, character support threads, and such; we will be seeing how the best way to master Greninja or how to perform a certain technique. Game Play videos, tournaments, online matches, and such will become a common place.

That being said, will you stay here on Smashboards and participate in the meta-game discussion? Will SSB4 be the first Smash Bros that you become invested in the competitive community? Once the games are released, there will be members who will be leaving the site as the speculation hype has ended. The new has become the old. I did the same thing after Brawl and so did many others.

My question to you is....

Will you continue to be active on Smashboards even after the game release? Do you intend to become a productive member and, in time, help other new members - especially when or if Smash 5 is announced? Or is speculation your only scene and do you intend to leave after the games release? If so, how can you better your time here on the site? How can you improve the community and truly make it the best Super Smash Bros. site on the internet? Every member (for the most part lol) is an important person to the site and has made help make this site into the respected leader of Smash Bros. discussion on the web.

Now is the time to be a Smash fan as the speculation has yet to die. Of course, we want this game now. But with that will come the end of speculation and much of what people come here to do. That being said, I ask anyone reading this to reconsider your role on the site and enjoy it to its fullest because, in several months, the attitude and atmosphere of the site will change from that of speculation to that of analyzation. Not that it is a bad thing. In fact, it is extremely good. However, how well will you transition from character speculation to analyzing the meta-game and characters? I feel some will stay here and carve themselves into Smashboards history while others will simply leave once speculation dies down and maybe return in several years. History often repeats itself and this is especially the case with Smashboards.

I stopped coming on here after brawl came out...but that was mostly cause I wasn't very "into" brawl after playing it and not finding it to be my cup of tea.

I'm also way more into speculating characters than using this site for setting up matches/ tournaments/discussing strategies etc... I have a local "scene" so using this site for that sort of thing is just not necessary for me.

If DLC happens and Amiibos slowly get released I may be on here for that kind of thing, or if this game REALLY blows me away maybe I'll use this site for friend codes and a real online gaming community (something again brawl just didnt do very well).

so not sure yet we'll see...

Sound for Souls

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0731-6074-6979
Since I started playing smash I've found there's two things that make me feel the best.

1. Beating a opponent who I've acknowledge at one point to be better then me or putting up a great fight.
2. The art of collecting data, collaborate with others data, and releasing a great work. (example)

There are times in my smash 'career' no... my smash life that I can reflect on. I can close my eyes, and think about the hype which makes my heart pound, the feeling of pressure of not wanting to lose, the endless mind games/ trickery, and the best thing of all the result of my self acknowledgement. It's a wonderful, glorious feeling to be able to witness yourself get just a bit better. To see the pay off of your hard work, it helps deepen your idea's of the game and it can fill you with hope, the hope that I hope all smashers have 'Maybe I can become the best'. It doesn't matter what 'best' you are looking for, best player, best on coast, best instate, best with character because they are all the same. I've dedicated so many hours to that dream and I've played endless games to walk down that almost endless path and even though I was unable to reach my goal the memories of the journey are still there.

I'm looking toward to smash4 mostly now because it gives me a justifiable reason to continue down that path once more and due to my area maybe show some others to the path. I'm not ready to forget those feelings and so I stay, to deepen my understand of the game once more and to help others down the path toward greatness.
*Claps his hands for 5-8 seconds*

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Man, Im always a :079: sometime.

I think I will stay in this community, Its literally change my life or the way I see Smash. I start my days competing MYSELF in Brawls days and now. I want the smash community to grow.

Smash community need to be one of the nicest communiy ever. Like how ell people talk about the character, how they rock or suck or even deep mechanics of them.

I join Smashboards because the Smash bros. community on the day before smash bros. were horrible, so I decided to come to another community, Then I found smashbards.

I learn a lot, but I mean, a lot freaking stuff, not just Smash Bros. instead I learn more about Nintendo games and franchise, Start supporting character like Isaac, Bandana Dee and others. Learn how to get better in Smash Bros.. Start to speculate like were doing some kind of fortune teller wannabe that is soo much fun to do, when you trigger that it true, you can really feeling it:4shulk:!!!

Now Smash bros 4 is out. DLC speculation begins, a new era for smash begins, a Era of a new meta game, characters, modes, custom moves, amiibos, patches and more. But the biggest one to me is DLC:mewtwopm:. I will definitily stay a. I need to help my :4olimar: because is quite forgotten, and that the moment when me and others :4olimar:mains will appear to develop the characters.

It been a great chilling time.:4olimar::4duckhunt::4rob:

Exaggeratedhonesty

Smash Champion
Man, Im always a :079: sometime.

I think I will stay in this community, Its literally change my life or the way I see Smash. I start my days competing MYSELF in Brawls days and now. I want the smash community to grow.

Smash community need to be one of the nicest communiy ever. Like how ell people talk about the character, how they rock or suck or even deep mechanics of them.

I join Smashboards because the Smash bros. community on the day before smash bros. were horrible, so I decided to come to another community, Then I found smashbards.

I learn a lot, but I mean, a lot freaking stuff, not just Smash Bros. instead I learn more about Nintendo games and franchise, Start supporting character like Isaac, Bandana Dee and others. Learn how to get better in Smash Bros.. Start to speculate like were doing some kind of fortune teller wannabe that is soo much fun to do, when you trigger that it true, you can really feeling it:4shulk:!!!

Now Smash bros 4 is out. DLC speculation begins, a new era for smash begins, a Era of a new meta game, characters, modes, custom moves, amiibos, patches and more. But the biggest one to me is DLC:mewtwopm:. I will definitily stay a. I need to help my :4olimar: because is quite forgotten, and that the moment when me and others :4olimar:mains will appear to develop the characters.

It been a great chilling time.:4olimar::4duckhunt::4rob:
I stay because I'm like cancer.

Top Bottom