• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The End of Speculation

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Wow, I joined this board back in middle school, close to the beginning of the brawl hype. I was sucked in by the speculation, but I hadn't really planned to play the game competitively, and didn't visit the boards much at all after Brawl's release.

Now I'm almost done with college, and Smash 4 is right around the corner. I kinda came back to these boards when I discovered project M, which brought Brawl some new life in my opinion. I now have a bunch of friends that play smash competitively among each other, as well as a large community on campus that hosts tournaments and goes to regional events.

I realize I've almost become decent at these games, and should Sm4sh gain the competitive scene it deserves, I'd like to be a part of it. As much as I will miss trolling around the Ridley thread, I'm looking forward to obsessing over a certain few characters and their position in the meta. And, if all goes well, learning techniques here before my friends to get the upper hand xD

So yes, I should think I'll be around here, even after the hype train finally shreds the tracks and explodes

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm absolutely looking forward to the release, the best part of Smash talk is finding out about all the new things about each character. Sure speculation can be fun, but it amounts to nothing but running around in circles by the end of the day, I'm much more interested in finding out about percentages, gameplay tidbits, combos, etc. So yeah, I'm going to try and be very active on that front, at least concerning my mains, especially since I missed out on it last time due to the half year gap between the Japanese and European release date.

Last edited:

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I'll probably drift away. I had an account during Brawl speculation too, but I forgot the username and don't use the same email I used back then, so I couldn't revive it during Smash 4 speculation.

That said, it'll be a gradual drift to be sure, and I might end up staying. I usually stop visiting a forum for a game shortly before/after it comes out when there are unlockable elements like Smash since it's more fun if they're a surprise for how to get them (trophies/music/stickers I don't mind having spoiled of course). After I've gotten most/all the unlockables though, I'll be back for a while, but mostly observing threads rather than commenting. I've never really played the game at the highest level, nor do I have experience in looking for Advanced Techs or even the best way to play a character, so I don't think I'd bring too much to the table.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I may become less active since I have no interest in competitive Smash, but I'll always be looking forward to playing online matches with people here, so expect me to be around after speculation ends.

I've acquainted with a lot of people here and I cannot imagine leaving this site behind, even though I had initially joined this site only for Smash 4 speculation.

I probably will be writing stuff about the game to help compile info on the games as they come out, so even if speculation is eventually gone, there's still a lot to discuss regarding the new games.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I'm gonna be honest here. I'm not exactly sure. I may take a brief hiatus just to get used to the game, but other than that I don't know where I'll go. Hopefully I stay here, but knowing my track record with games I don't know. As I tend to burn out after a while and then leave them, that could happen here.

Heck, the same could be said for Smash 5. The only reason I came here in the first place was because of Smash 3DS. I might attempt to speculate along with everyone else, but that's as far as I'd go if there wasn't a portable release (unless down the line I get said console it's for. But then again, I tend to stick to portable consoles anyway).

Tl;Dr version: I can't say I know what I'll do.

CF711

Smash Apprentice
I'll end up taking a little break when the 3DS one comes out to see what I can discover on my own, but then I'll be back. After Evo I ended up finding out a lot about a community I knew nothing about and I enjoy it here immensely.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, I was here for the end of the Brawl hype and the beginning of that speculation scene, and that's not about to change. Especially since there'll be so many new characters for me to try and find a new main for, and to see how my old favorites are doing.

It's pretty weird to think actually that it's been almost 7 years since I joined up. Well let's see what the next 7 have in store.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'll be around for a while. I like the early stages when there's one character everyone says is broken but has one glaring flaw that those that know what they're doing can see past. Then the ACTUAL broken characters appear and the fun dwindles somewhat.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Hum… that's a very good question but i think that it will end that I will stay here.

If you heard of my activity here, it's clear that I enjoy talking about Paper Mario but in the end, the game is already awesome so being disappointed is VERY unlikely. There's also the fact that I will probably be more active online since it seems a good one this time and I'm already enjoying mk8 myself. I don't know if i'll get competitive but just playing online here sounds fun. What I'm mostly interested here is the discussing the game in general. Since I don't play JUST for the characters but because of the all the content this game has, that would be good to discuss and tell my opinion on them. Like stages or ost choice all of them. Every detail on the game would be interesting to talk and this forum is the best place to do so. Even if I may not be competitive, this forum isn't just for that. There's already general thread but as the op states, it's more speculation then facts because the game hasn't released yet. What I would be interested is discussing the final result that we waited for so long and enjoy. Of course, if Paper Mario is in, you bet that I'm still going to be the op of his thread but this is only if… And even without him, there would be plenty of things to talk; I have no reason to tell that I would be done. I'll still share my love of TTYD (like my avatar is from TTYD btw) and maybe talks about the other games on the social thread. There's really no reason for me to not stay there since I will always enjoy ssb (reminder: playing SSBM literally changed my life) and so, should keep following the best forum surrounding this series as a masterpiece.

So, yeah I would stay because I was looking forward to talk about what I wanted: the content after release.

Last edited:

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
Hm. Well, I've lurked here for years without making an account, but I finally made one to speculate. After Smash 4 is released, I will maybe post a few times until I feel like I've unlocked everything. After that though, I'll come back and continue to spread my Plasm Wraith propaganda in the EXTREMELY UNLIKELY chance that it's not in the game. :troll: And you know, discuss my mains and such. I also will continue to be 2SPOOKY4U. Plus you guys are definitely the best community I've ever been in and I love to discuss the most random things with you guys.

So basically, I'll be back...after I finish the game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I've been here close to eight years so I'll stick around to some degree. It all really just depends on how this community treats online tournaments and online players. Also, for the first time in eight years, there's a legitimate Smash group in my area so I'll actually be able to participate in live tournaments more often so I'm hoping to be a part of that. Depending if the interest stays in my area and in online tournaments, I'll probably continue to be here daily but if interest wanes for both of these, I'll go back to my 2010-2012 habits of lurking and maybe posting when majors games are announced or when Smash news surfaces.

Booster

Smash Lord
I'll stay around unless I see people being as hostile as the people on Serebii.Net. Once that happens, consider me gone before the ****storm starts.

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
I honestly don't know if I'll stick around.
I have some interest in the competitive side of Smash, but I mainly joined for the speculation, and while I'd be happy enough to stick around, I'm already quiet enough on here as it is, even with speculation still going.
So only time will tell, I suppose.

Booster

Smash Lord
I've got dreams of becoming a Wi-Fi warrior and all-around pro at SSB4, so I'm sticking around. :chuckle:
A noble dream, unlike mine which is to learn how to add in costumes/characters to brawl and hack my Wii to be able to play...Turbografx-16.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I think I'll stick around. I'm not sure whether I want to go competitive, but I have made a lot of friends here, and I'll drop in to chat once in a while at least.

D

Deleted member

I'm staying. Not sure if I'll ever be able to attend a tournament, though I would like to at least once, just to see what it's like.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
I've been wanting to leave for a while now... but I planned on coming back once the game came out... I'm an idiot.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I dunno. I generally dislike the competitive Smash scene so I'm not sure how long I'll stick around after the games release. You guys have no idea how pissed I was when I was introduced to Melee's tiers since all of my mains were considered low-tier... and that was my original basis of distaste regarding the competitive scene.

I guess we'll see. The hype will die down after a while.

I kinda bailed on the Mass Effect forums after I beat the third game for the fourth time. It may be a similar situation. But, I go back there on occasion. So who knows?

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Is that a yes or no?
I'll stick around. I'm trying to wean myself off until the game comes out. Then I'll come back full blast to help figure out the meta-game. (unless school gets in the way) So yes.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Great info Venus... I may be inexperienced, but I've spent too much time here to quit now. While speculation will die, I'll stay, and contribute to the best of my ability Smash 4.

I won't be able to go full blown competitive, but I'll stick around.... so It'll probably be more for the online-point-out-some-stuff sort of way.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'm not exactly sure really. I do want to stick around and have some fun online matches with a number of people here. But I will probably wind up going onto a hiatus and work on some projects of my own. Real life stuff and other interests may also get the best of me. Who knows, but I will try to stick around for as long as I can. :)

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I'll probably disappear. I like to speculate and to talk about not-so-well-known Nintendo series, and the characters support threads are great for that. Once people start talking about tiers and competitive scene, I'll have no reason to be here.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Almost out of highschool and I need something to do with my time other than study study study in university.

Also, I have a thing for competitive games, they excite, and competitive + Nintendo = Win, in my books.

I just signed up here to, so I guess I'll be sticking around, albeit, won't be posting often until I feel comfortable enough to converse with people around here.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Definitely staying around and going competitive with Smash 4. The question is who will I main.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I honestly would not know what to post here when speculation ends. I joined here to speculate, and that's all I've been doing and it's been great. I'm a casual Smash player and always have been, but recently took part in a Smash tournament on another site and realized I have a lot of work to do to ever become competitive haha. That being said, I think I'm going to try and get better, pick up a Smash 4 newcomer main so I'm not too behind, and will try and stay on the boards.

Last edited:

Toologist

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Toologist
3DS FC
0963-1281-8162
I've been here since 2003, but I have always come here periodically. Most of the time I don't ever log in and just lurk the forums, reading all of the major topics. As the years pass, I get older and continue to focus on my endeavors (in this case, music). However, with that being said, I know I will find myself coming back here when the time is right. If there's a new Smash game in the future that has been announced or something, I will most definitely return lol. But yeah, as previously mentioned, I'm here a lot during the game's pre-release days for the sake of speculation. Speculation seems to be something that I've been thriving on for as long as I can remember.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
When I joined, I only would hang around the Miiverse thread to chat about the pictures. Now I love the social side more than the Smash side.

I've been on other forums before, but I actually made the effort here to talk to people and make friends.

Speculation is really fun, but there'll always be a place to talk about anything on Smashboards. It'd be awesome to see more people hang around the anime/ manga threads though.

Simensis

Smash Apprentice
I cannot lie, speculation and the first days of the game are the most emotional and intense part of Smash for me. Whereas the post analysis is more an intellectual thing.
Back in the Brawl days I had not consideres game design and development as a professional path but now that I have decided I think I will stay to fully understand the core systems and mechanics of the game. A LOT can be learned from that.
I cannot guarantee I will be a regular poster (like I am not now) but will certainly stick around from time to time.

Ascended

Smash Ace
I came here because the discussion seemed to be more thoughtful and mature compared to GameFAQs, which was disappointing to me since the pre-Brawl discussion on GameFAQs was really good and the source of a lot of found memories for me. Since then, I've gotten involved in both the stage and soundtrack contests, and pledged support to several characters. I'm pretty confident that I'll stay here for the long haul. I've never considered myself a competitive player, but in the past couple of years I've seen just how invested I am with this series as I've started running Smash/Mario Kart tournaments at my college, checked out Project M, and have been learning a lot on how to play defensively, as well as without items. I think it'll be exciting to be here as a game develops and unfolds!

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
For me, it entirely depends on whether Smash Wii U is solely a fun party game or if it also has lasting depth and competitive potential. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a fun party game and I'll greatly enjoy Smash 4 no matter what, but if it turns out to be a fun party game and nothing else, then I'll most likely end up losing interest once I buy another game.

Even if Smash 4 doesn't appeal to my personal hopes for the game, I'll always be part of the Smash community through Melee and Project M and will support the community that exists around Smash 4.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Well, it's not that I'm very active right now, and I haven't even been here for long at all (though I've known and casually lurked this site since Brawl dojo times), but I'll probably won't be visiting after release until I at least unlock every character, I want to find out about every surprise by playing the game rather than reading about it.

After that? I'll come back, and keep posting as often as I do now. I'll likely even branch into the Character Discussion forum, as I'll feel I'll actually have a reason to go there once I can actually play the game.

I've never been a competitive player, so I won't be adding much of anything when it comes to new strategies and whatnots, but I'll still stick around and throw in my own two cents into discussions, making small contributions in my own way.

Last edited:

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
I came here for Project M...but the whole of Smash is my life (cept vBrawl).
As long as there's people to talk to about Smash 4, Melee, PM, or 64, I'm here to stay.
Playing all of those competitively sounds hype.

Last edited:
Top Bottom