• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The End of Speculation

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
The End of Speculation

I have been thinking about this for quite some time. With the release of the 3DS looming closer and closer, we are being treated to more and more information. Last year’s E3 was, quite honestly, one of my favorites because of the Smash announcement. Since then, every day has been filled with surprise, happiness, meh'ness, or disappointment when the PotD is released. Weekends are spent waiting for Monday to come so we can see more of the game. The Direct was like an early Christmas withj tons of information being presented. I have watched both the E3 trailer and the Direct at least 20 times each; just to digest and bask in the pre-release speculation hype.

The Birth of the Smash 4 Forums

Now is the best time to be a Super Smash Bros. fan because it is new, exciting, and enriching. We don't know what lies in store for us in the next few months but the excitement, the hype flows from every post, every thread, and every user. It can be intoxicating.

With the release of the Wii U will end the era of speculation. The 3DS release may end the character speculation with the exception of DLC character though a deconfirmation of DLC content will be the final nail in that speculation scene.

We are looking at the final moments of the Super Smash Bros. 4 speculation which has spanned since the release of Brawl. It first started out as its own thread in the Brawl General Discussion until several weeks after E3 2013 when it received its own board and it's first moderator.

From there, the Super Smash Bros. 4 Discussion Thread blossomed to an entire forum board dedicated to speculation. Fast forward a full year and now we know of 30 total characters (prior to the 0 we knew before E3), more moderators, have at least 300 more users, and even more topics and posts. But with the release of the games will come the final death toll for speculation.

What comes Next?

Typically, after the release of the game will result in an investigation of the meta-game. The first few months after the release will continue to be composed of speculation but will consist mostly of analyzation and discussion of character meta-games and game play. Back after Brawl, many thought Meta Knight would be mid tier due to a perceived lack of killing moves. Yet now he is in S class. In retrospect, that is pretty humorous and, as we all know, history will repeat itself.

This era will bring out a different type of Smasher: one dedicated to finding out different things about the characters, the meta-game, and competitive play. Instead of speculative threads, character support threads, and such; we will be seeing how the best way to master Greninja or how to perform a certain technique. Game Play videos, tournaments, online matches, and such will become a common place.

That being said, will you stay here on Smashboards and participate in the meta-game discussion? Will SSB4 be the first Smash Bros that you become invested in the competitive community? Once the games are released, there will be members who will be leaving the site as the speculation hype has ended. The new has become the old. I did the same thing after Brawl and so did many others.

My question to you is....

Will you continue to be active on Smashboards even after the game release? Do you intend to become a productive member and, in time, help other new members - especially when or if Smash 5 is announced? Or is speculation your only scene and do you intend to leave after the games release? If so, how can you better your time here on the site? How can you improve the community and truly make it the best Super Smash Bros. site on the internet? Every member (for the most part lol) is an important person to the site and has made help make this site into the respected leader of Smash Bros. discussion on the web.

Now is the time to be a Smash fan as the speculation has yet to die. Of course, we want this game now. But with that will come the end of speculation and much of what people come here to do. That being said, I ask anyone reading this to reconsider your role on the site and enjoy it to its fullest because, in several months, the attitude and atmosphere of the site will change from that of speculation to that of analyzation. Not that it is a bad thing. In fact, it is extremely good. However, how well will you transition from character speculation to analyzing the meta-game and characters? I feel some will stay here and carve themselves into Smashboards history while others will simply leave once speculation dies down and maybe return in several years. History often repeats itself and this is especially the case with Smashboards.

Last edited:

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
I'll definitely be sticking around! This is the first time I'll actually be able to make a contribution, since I joined after Brawl was pretty much 100% figured out. I'm no pro, but I'll try my best to help out any new Smashers.

So, what I'm saying is that

For change.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
Man, I originally came here from the IGN boards because this place had better Smash speculation. I love it so much here, though, so I'll probably stay post-release here.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I've been here for almost a year. I'm not going to give up. I will be here. I want to see what happens after speculation.

To know what it's like.

ProjectAngel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3179-5530-9222
I will stay.

I never got around to staying after Brawl was released, mainly because I wasn't interested in the competitive scene at the time. Now, I'm into competitive Smash more than ever. I would love to discover what Smash 4 has to offer and share my discoveries with the world.

ToddCam

Smash Journeyman
I will probably disappear after, though come for a visit from time to time, like the last two times. I don't say much, but the enthusiasm of the fans is always such a joy, it keeps me coming back.

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
I first learned about Smashboards around the Brawl days. I was never a member; I didn't think I would contribute much if I joined. Then Smash 4 came. June 11, 2013 is a day I will never forget. I was incredibly hyped for the new games, and I started looking around Smashboards even more. It was sometime after Rosalina was revealed that I decided I wanted to really be a part of Smashboards.

Smash is a celebration to me, a celebration of all things Nintendo. Smashboards makes this celebration come to life. Everyone is funny and nice, and people made me feel at home when I joined. The speculation of Smash 4 may end soon, but my bond with this amazing community will never die. I want to try my best to be a part of this community and help anyone in need. A community this amazing is hard to come along, so I have no intentions leaving post-release.

Thank you Smashboarders. For loving Smash as much as I do, and being in this community to analzye it, speculate on it, and celebrate it. You guys are amazing, and I never want to leave a place like this.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I pledge a solemn vow. I will stay here long after the end of speculation. I've never seen such an active Smash community, and now that I've found it, I vow to stay here until the end of my days.

In layman's terms, yes.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
To be honest, I'm not sure if I would stick around. In fact, I actually plan on leaving the boards once we find out about the release date of the 3DS version to avoid spoilers (the real leaks will start showing up, if they haven't already). I'll probably return after the game's release and I've finished unlocking everyone, just to see how the boards are (I imagine pure total chaos). From there, who knows? I'm not much of an analyst, so I doubt I'd be much help and just be a bother to everyone. Maybe if a Smash 6 topic is created, I can head up the speculation on it...

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
If I can find a place to fit in then yeah I'll stay. I'm not a huge competitive player so it kinda restricts where I can hang out while feeling competent.

Otherwise poof until the next game.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
To be honest, I'm not sure if I would stick around. In fact, I actually plan on leaving the boards once we find out about the release date of the 3DS version to avoid spoilers (the real leaks will start showing up, if they haven't already). I'll probably return after the game's release and I've finished unlocking everyone, just to see how the boards are (I imagine pure total chaos). From there, who knows? I'm not much of an analyst, so I doubt I'd be much help and just be a bother to everyone. Maybe if a Smash 6 topic is created, I can head up the speculation on it...
Don't leave us.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I plan to stick around.

Unlike a lot of other people I didn't join the boards because of Smash 4 but rather because I wanted to get into the competitive scene, my first couple of posts were mostly in my region's topic for competitive Smash. So yea, I totally plan to stick around for Smash 4 and hope to get further into the scene.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
I'll definitely be lurking Smashboards for years to come. Before I actually decided to join as a user, I would just come here before going to a friend's party to check tier lists, matchups, and strategies in order to have a better chance against the competition! I was intimidated by all of the lingo at first, but the site gave me a much deeper understanding of the game - even if I struggled (and still struggle) to apply that to my play.

Starting by viewing little more than the Brawl Yoshi boards, I slowly branched out into the rest of the forums, and while I barely posted at all compared to some people, I felt much more a part of the community just having registered. This community is amazing, and while we may not agree all the time, I've always appreciated how civil that most discussions are; even an argument between people who have the most extraordinarily different viewpoints doesn't just devolve into Ad Hominem as they tend to on most other forums.

Even though I'm very intrigued by the competitive community, I don't think I have what it takes to actually get into the tournament scene. I love this game to death, but competition has never really been my strong suit - the nerves get to me even when playing a casual match with good friends! While I probably won't have much to contribute to the metagame, that doesn't mean that I won't be sticking around see some great discussion and cheer on my fellow Smashers! (and especially the Yoshis :p)

I look forward to maybe talking with, but more likely just reading about what you guys are saying in the future! :4yoshi:

D

Deleted member

Pet peeve; the board actually started on June 23rd, 2012, not several weeks before E3 2013.
---
I originally became active in speculation in June, 2011 (right before E3 2011) because I wanted to see Mega Man get in (more than anyone else, which made me such an ardent supporter). Since then, being a major part of the speculation scene has been the ride of a life time. I've learned a lot of things about myself by being part of this community and have made friends that I will never forget about. Many years from now, I will be telling stories from my experience with the pre-SSB4 community and what a story will that be. :chuckle:

As for me sticking around (for a few more years), I'm honestly on the fence. On the one hand, I definitely won't be following another Smash game actively. This game has totally fatigued me from speculation and I will be glad when SSB 3DS & Wii U's speculation period is over (please reveal the whole roster at E3 Sakurai) Even if King K. Rool isn't playable in SSB 3DS & Wii U, I stick won't stick around to get him in that game (though I'll buy said game if he's in that one).

However, Smash 3DS & Wii U (barring possible exception of characters) is a step up in every single way, especially with game play and how Nintendo treats the competitive scene. I really do want to get really good playing as Mega Man and I wouldn't mind participating in online tournaments/local tournaments (if they're around). Since I have very little knowledge of the competitive community, it will take me awhile to get into the scene should I choose to do so.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
As much as I dislike a majority of the members, I think I will stay. I've found a liking to this website. I was a lurker since the brawl years and after, just never said anything. Then I originally came here just to be an ass but I found that there are a lot of good hearted people on this forum.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm definitely staying around and will do my best to help make contribute to and ultimately improve the community in any matters that I can. When I first joined this place, it was primarily to meet some fellow casual players who often played Brawl online, but speculation soon peaked my interest after joining, though I admit I was very naive and got frustrated at times when I was first here, and I'm glad to have changed that overtime.

Morbi

Scavenger
I certainly intend on staying active in the community. Smash has always been one of my favorite series and everyone says this, but I truly mean it; the community is great. For instance, I was heavily invested in the Mortal Kombat community, but when Smash 4 was announced, I discontinued going there and instead I divulged myself in the realm of Smash. It was not an easy decision. The same has not occurred in regards to Mortal Kombat X; it was announced, but alas I am still here. I have spent every night of the last year catching up on years missed in the competitive scene. So I am sure I will be here to help us misconstrue character tiers!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Will you continue to be active on Smashboards even after the game release?
Probably yes, but that depends of a few factors, actually.

1. Will there be an active group of 3DS players here? Because I will be playing exclusively on the 3DS for a long time. Unless Nintendo announce something HUGE that makes me rush to buy a Wii U, but I don't believe such thing is going to happen. lol

2. Is there a place in this forum for people who enjoy having online matches, learning the mechanics of the game, getting better, etc... but isn't extremely competitive? I mean, I have no plans of participating of tournaments (the real life ones, I mean), my interest lies 100% in online matches. If there is a place for this kind of player here, I might have a reason to stay.

I have been here only for a few months, but I can safely say I enjoy this place. Currently I am losing my interest in Pokémon, so I will probably stop visiting my "main" forums (bmgf) soon and it would be nice to have this one as a place to visit in a daily basis. Unlike CroonerMike, I don't dislike the majority of the users, although there are certainly a few... unpleasing users around here. Then again, the same could be said about any other forum. Anyway, I registered here not only because of the SSB4 hype, but because I wanted a place to talk about Smash. Believe me or not, but I have never heard of this forum until a few months ago.

That is it.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
I won't stay. I'm new to the boards and what mainly caught my eye was seeing all the character speculation and the (alleged) leaks. It can be fun but sometimes the discussion or the blind fanaticism is too much. I don't hold anything against the members or the boards -it's been a nice distraction while we wait.
After the game's release I'll just play the game, have fun online and with friends. I'm really not interested in the meta-game nor the competitive scene at all.

Hong

The Strongest
Sorry folks. I'm just a weekend warrior. :troll:

Jokes aside, folks like Isai and myself will still be playing SSB64 after the apocalypse. Has not become any less awesome. As long as i play Smash Bros, I'll be here as well on my local FB group.

Last edited:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Honestly I'm glad that speculation is on the verge of ending. I understand that people enjoy it and obviously I'm okay with that, but it's simply not my cup of tea. I like analyzing info we're given, not trying to predict what will happen.

I've been waiting for these parts to become focused on gameplay, character and mechanic discussion for a long time now. I certainly plan to stay and contribute as much as I can. I'm also hoping for a great scene to develop where I live so that I can jump in and put my knowledge to use.

DrRiceBoy

Smash Lord
NNID
ricesenpai
3DS FC
4699-6411-5910
I'm definitely going to stay, but I'll mainly lurk around. Although I have been playing Smash for a very long time, I was mainly a casual player (I've only recently learnt about wavedashing, l-cancelling and all those other competitive goodies). I hope to learn more about Smash, and will definitely continue to read the many interesting discussions on this forum! (Hopefully as my knowledge on Smash grows, I'll be able to participate in discussions as well!)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
@ Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom What will happen to the WiR after the 3DS's release?
It will continue as usual but with changes. I'm sure there will be Wii U information in order to keep people hyped. It could be the PotD will continue with just Wii U images. Regardless, the WiR will continue to cover Smash news even past the Wii U release.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
It will continue as usual but with changes. I'm sure there will be Wii U information in order to keep people hyped. It could be the PotD will continue with just Wii U images. Regardless, the WiR will continue to cover Smash news even past the Wii U release.
Like tournaments, announcements, and other such news? If so, I can dig it. If not.... I can dig it. :p

mygamecube

Smash Lord
NNID
mygamecube
3DS FC
4596-9526-5701
I'll probably be the type of user that will be on and off. I love Smash Bros, so I'll lurk around for sure, but I don't know if I'll post as often. Sorta the middle ground between being an active user and disappearing entirely.

Shariq

Smash Journeyman
I will stick around. This will be the first time I get fully involved in Smash since I picked up Melee after everything had been figured out and did the same with Brawl. This Smash will be the first I get on day one and play competitively from the beginning. So I will need help in mastering the game and this is the place to do it. Dammit I can't wait!! :grin:

Last edited:

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
I'm kinda conflicted honestly. On one hand, I want to unlock characters without knowing who I'm gonna unlock. So I planned to peace outta here either when the release date was announced or when the 3DS game comes out to avoid spoilers, then come back to talk about the game. Problem with that is a lot of the tech'll have been found by then and I won't have much to say since I've only just started getting into competitive smash. See my sig: I don't post if I'm not sure that I'm right, so outside of banter and jokes I probably won't have too much to contribute. Not to mention the last 2 times I joined a forum to talk about a game I left both almost as soon as the games came out. Time will tell though; I would like to stick around, if possible.

BBG|Scott-Spain

Smash Journeyman
I think it should be stated that the drop in member participation will probably come from smash 4 not being what they expect, like what happened for Brawl.

Regardless, I plan on investing quite a bit to this community. My well-being sort of depends on it. I've been a involved in the smash community since '06 and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I too am glad the speculation period is almost over. I'm really looking forward to what Smash 4 has in store for us in terms of the gameplay as well as the competitive community.

Even though I've been a member of this site for so long I've gotta say I've never felt more attached to an online community than I am with the Smash 4 boards. I've gotten to know some really cool people here and I personally hope most of you will stick around.

Regardless I'll definitely be here and I look forward to kicking most of your butts online in the near future. ;)

Last edited:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Great,informative post.I kinda figured that time of period would happen eventually after speculation dies down.
The speculation I'd witness on here is simply the best and always make me stare in awe.
I'll definately be around contributing to the best of my ability when the analyzing period starts.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I have been here back and forth since the Brawl days. My plan this time is to stay around for the long haul. New game, level playing field and I can be in from the start. I just need to find my main (unless Takamaru is in) and I am ready to go helping out uncovering all there is on the character.

I hope the wi-fi will be good though. There is no Smash community where I live so I will mostly be playing online until I reach a level where I will feel like it is worth travelling to play Smash.

Ristar94

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ristar94
3DS FC
3523-2545-3006
I'll definitely be here to contribute my thoughts and opinions on the game. It's good to be part of a community that shares the same passion for Smash Bros as I do.

Stompman

BRoomer
BRoomer
I honestly don't know. I've been a part of this forum since the days of Gideon and Treget. Heck I was one of the first people that had access tot he Melee Back Room, although I don't have access to it anymore for some reason. I have always come back, and mostly lurked for information, with each new game. Smash is my favorite video game of all time, but I've always been a "free-for-all, items on, very few stages banned" player.

That being said, in the past, I had another hobby, Magic the Gathering, that was my primary "competitive" game. I don't play that anymore, so that frees up time to get into something else. Also, there's a pretty cool video game shop in my town now that wasn't here when Brawl hit. Also, my cousin has become a competent tournament player, so maybe that will all kick up my competitive spark!

Last edited:

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
I'll be staying. After occasionally coming back to see what competitive stuff was around, I decided to get into competitive Brawl.
And I loved it. Smash is probably my favourite game serie of all time and you know what? Thanks to you guys, I picked up Project M. Anyone who knows me will know just how much I despise the Melee elitism thing that is hanging around, but with how (mostly) accepting the community is, I want to be a part of the comp scene.

I'm in for the long run, Smash 4 is where I really want to break into the competitive scene and I will be championing Rosalina and lending my analytical eye to her.

Last edited:

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Since I started playing smash I've found there's two things that make me feel the best.

1. Beating a opponent who I've acknowledge at one point to be better then me or putting up a great fight.
2. The art of collecting data, collaborate with others data, and releasing a great work. (example)

There are times in my smash 'career' no... my smash life that I can reflect on. I can close my eyes, and think about the hype which makes my heart pound, the feeling of pressure of not wanting to lose, the endless mind games/ trickery, and the best thing of all the result of my self acknowledgement. It's a wonderful, glorious feeling to be able to witness yourself get just a bit better. To see the pay off of your hard work, it helps deepen your idea's of the game and it can fill you with hope, the hope that I hope all smashers have 'Maybe I can become the best'. It doesn't matter what 'best' you are looking for, best player, best on coast, best instate, best with character because they are all the same. I've dedicated so many hours to that dream and I've played endless games to walk down that almost endless path and even though I was unable to reach my goal the memories of the journey are still there.

I'm looking toward to smash4 mostly now because it gives me a justifiable reason to continue down that path once more and due to my area maybe show some others to the path. I'm not ready to forget those feelings and so I stay, to deepen my understand of the game once more and to help others down the path toward greatness.

Last edited:

slicesabre

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2621-2933-2738
I still intend to stick around here and discuss the game with the rest of you folks. I find the forum a much greater place to be now compared to 07 when I first created this account.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Sorry, but you aren't getting rid of my that easy. I'm going to stick around as a competitive smash player (if possible) or spectator. A new metagame is an exciting thing.

Top Bottom