• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The End of Speculation

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
A resource for my favourite game series of all time; a friendly community and I'm making friends here.
I'm stayin and I'm working on making the name "Backgammon" big in comp. Smash 4 is where I'll be pushing my debut.

But I'm mostly here because of the community. I love it here!

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
Also I have no WiiU friends and I sent out a load of friend requests to people that are cool here, and I would to have competition that I know, albeit through a site but who cares!

micstar615

Smash Ace
I'm conflicted. I'm a casual fan who has enjoyed every smash so far. I'm also a competitive enthusiast who loves watching competitive matches between skilled players. The community is a double edged sword for me, i will definitely lurk and will be more active on the character boards because it'll be fun discussing each character's strength and tactics and it'll be an overall learning experience, one thing I love about smash is the character strategies; you have to epitomize and take advantage of your character's moveset during each battle so learning the best move or combo for each situation is always a treat for me. However I'm afraid many users are going to shun this game because it isn't this or that and that might push me away because while I have expectations for the game and am holding Sakurai to a certain standard, I also want to enjoy the game for what it is, without the flame wars and migraine inducing debates :/ my biggest hope is that the game can have a great casual and competitive scene based on it's own merits and will be enjoyed by the majority of the fanbase.

Farorae

Smash Ace
Leave?! I just got here I don't intend on leaving anytime soon! :p
(though I lurked here for about a year before I made this account)

Last edited:

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I don't plan on leaving at all! After Smash 4 comes out I plan on getting more involved with the competitive community. This has been one of my favorite forums to visit and I've made so many friends here. This is a place that I can talk to so many people about something I love. Before I joined here I was very shy when it came to talking about things I like but now I've come out of that shell and can talk about my passions. And this place is also the reason that I'm part of The Smash Cast. I'm going to keep coming back to talk to all of you amazing people!

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
pffffffffffffff naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

I'll probably still be here.

Post-release Smashboards is gonna be hilarious.

CoolEric258

Smash Cadet
Maybe. Most forums I'm on usually make me uninterested and leave, with some exceptions. I might stay as long as there are things people discuss that I"m intersted in. I don't care about tier lists for instance.

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
Probably yes, but that depends of a few factors, actually.

1. Will there be an active group of 3DS players here? Because I will be playing exclusively on the 3DS for a long time. Unless Nintendo announce something HUGE that makes me rush to buy a Wii U, but I don't believe such thing is going to happen. lol

2. Is there a place in this forum for people who enjoy having online matches, learning the mechanics of the game, getting better, etc... but isn't extremely competitive? I mean, I have no plans of participating of tournaments (the real life ones, I mean), my interest lies 100% in online matches. If there is a place for this kind of player here, I might have a reason to stay.

I have been here only for a few months, but I can safely say I enjoy this place. Currently I am losing my interest in Pokémon, so I will probably stop visiting my "main" forums (bmgf) soon and it would be nice to have this one as a place to visit in a daily basis. Unlike CroonerMike, I don't dislike the majority of the users, although there are certainly a few... unpleasing users around here. Then again, the same could be said about any other forum. Anyway, I registered here not only because of the SSB4 hype, but because I wanted a place to talk about Smash. Believe me or not, but I have never heard of this forum until a few months ago.

That is it.
That's exactly how I feel about everything you said! I'm glad to see someone who feels the same! If you need any help I do what I can to help! Also if you need someone to vs online, just friend request me. I'll try to play whenever possible as I will definitely be playing this game to death! :)

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
The game's release will be bittersweet, It is a moment I've been waiting for and contemplating for years, but it will also bring an end to the speculation I love.
However, that will not be the end of Zzuxon on Smashboards! I plan to make Smash 4 my way in to the competitive community.
I've always admired competitive play, but felt intimidated by well formed meta's like Brawl, Melee, and to a lesser degree P:M. But if I can get in on the ground floor of a new scene? That'd be great.
And, with the new good online, I'll be playing with all my old specualtion buddies.
The future is bright.

Metallaeus

Smash Apprentice
I barely joined and I plan to learn as much as possible from the community. I'm just a casual for now, but I hope that one day my skills will bring me the confidence to join the scene and interact more with Smashers! So of course, I'll be looking forward to advice, information, and other stuff on this site (even just random chatter). My journey's just begun, and I'm here to stay. I look forward to seeing how the Smash 4 scene develops and grows.

Zhadgon

Smash Lord
NNID
Zhadgon
Of course I will stay, probably I will become part of the inventory in this big house called SmashBoards, it will serve me for two purposes improve my grammar and reading comprehension in English (is something I should really improve a lot if my goal is to study a MBA), and the second one will be learn more about Smash 4 and Project M and the evolution of both games that represent the pinnacle of my favorite company.

.n_n.

MrPanic

Smash Journeyman
I usually find myself liking games less when I get involved in looking up advanced stuff and such, it's just way more fun to figure a game out all by your own. I'll definitely try to avoid threads about techniques or certain characters. I will stick around though, adding friends, participate in online tourneys, joining conversations and whatnot. I'm sure the PotD will still be a thing while the 3ds version is out and there's always the social topic. Though I'm sure we'll find a way to keep speculating while we know everything. :p

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That's exactly how I feel about everything you said! I'm glad to see someone who feels the same! If you need any help I do what I can to help! Also if you need someone to vs online, just friend request me. I'll try to play whenever possible as I will definitely be playing this game to death! :)
Yup. I will send you a friend request!

Fumpster

Smash Rookie
Even though I just joined, I'll probably stick around and post once in a while. Although if I'm honest, I could see myself posting mostly to look for some wi-fi action. I don't feel as though I have much to contribute to the competitive scene besides playing the game itself, which is what a lot of the Smashboard community is about.

Maybe if the off-topic threads pique my interest I'll post in there, but Smash speculation hits a pretty big halt for me once the game is out.

allison

She who makes bad posts
NNID
crazyal02
3DS FC
0216-1055-4584
I'm not competitively experienced to any real degree, so metagame discussion is out, but I'll still be active because of online play (plus off-topic and stuff like MYM).

Jack Kieser

Smash Champion
Honestly, it depends on who stays and who goes.

I'd like to stay. I did last time. When I joined the boards years ago, I had been lurking for close to two years already. I had always wanted to be a part of the community, but Melee was well-established, and I don't have the technical skills to be good at that game at a high level, so I felt that I wasn't any use to anyone. I couldn't find new ATs or combos or any of that crap. It wasn't until I started getting into arguments with Yuna (for the uninitiated, Yuna is known for being the John in the European version of "no johns") that I realized that I could be useful to a burgeoning Brawl community in a theoretical way and by hosting tournaments of my own. That's why I did all the work I did.

But, the whole reason I stopped posting and being active in 2010 was because of how caustic and hateful (and plainly stupid) the community became. We can backpat and self-aggrandize all we want, but we sucked after the release of Brawl. We still kind of suck now, although we're definitely getting better. There's less sexism, there's less racism (hell, Prog is one of our most respected commentator emeritus), there's more professionalism on the stage. But, we're still banhappy, we're still petty, we're still horribly entitled. We haven't grown out of the HORRIBLE scrubbiness we inherited after the pros left in the wake of Brawl's release and the "new guard" (a bunch of uninitiated, young, unknowledgeable players without history to inform their actions) took over things. Our TOs are still spineless, acquiescing to any and all player demands, regardless of whether they ruin the game or not.

If the community gets better, I'd love to stay. I'd love to be a part of a community that embraces side events, that tests things IN BRACKET for money, that refuses to ban until ABSOLUTELY necessary. I'd love to be a part of a community that places value on players without tech skill, who know the theory and can create strategies that top players can learn from. I'd love to be a part of a truly inclusive community.

But, I don't know if we can be that, or if we will. If that's how it turns out, I'll stay. If we ban parts of the game day one, I'm giving up on this community forever.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I wish I could say absolutely without any form of hestitation. That simply is not reality however. The fact is after Brawl's release I originally thought I would continue on with the forums and take further part in the community. However I did end up leaving due to Brawl's backlash and that became so excessive that it wasn't even any fun to take part in it anymore, where it actually managed to ruin some of the fun of the game for me. When the new game was announced I decided to give it a second go and see how it plays out but I still am hestiate give the number of backlashes during E3 and other situations.

Stay here for me will depend on how Smash 4 plays out and more importantly how the community decides to handle itself about it. If it turns into an emonorus Brawl v Melee bickerfest all over again and the animoisty isn't kept in check, people like myself who are on the fence about a lot of it will leave.

I apologize if this seemed overly negative. I feel though that pointing the failings of the situations of the past is important in keeping it from happening again. I hope now that the outrage over Brawl has long since passed and expectations are different then they were during Brawl that this won't happen, I hope so anyway.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
Well.... speculation will last after the 3DS version comes out anyway... I mean, we'll still have a little while to talk about the Wii U version and speculate on that before it comes out

Which is, ya know... what I really, really, really want to be involved in.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I will probably disappear once the game is actually out. I have little to no interest in meta game, or the competitive scene, so once we know all the characters and stages and music and such, I won't have much reason to stick around. But I may reappear in five or six years when the first rumblings of Smash 5 are uttered, and start the whole fun process again. Though by then, I'll be in my thirties, so... we'll see, I guess?

One's never too old to want Ridley in Smash, and to share that want with like-minded people.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I'll probably hang around and try get involved in online events. I've only made one concrete friend here though (i.e. I'm not doing very good in relation to why I joined this site. Oops!). However, at first, I'll probably drastically cut down on the time spent here, since I'd like to play the game. There was a time where I didn't let the internet interrupt the time I spend playing games in my free time, and I'd like to do that again when Smash comes out! :V

I may also get involved in helping discuss all things Rosalina, and trying to figure her out with others, since she interests me the most. Although she will be my focus for actual discussion, I'll probably keep an eye on the Sonic and Mega Man boards.

I may also try to figure out streaming in time for the Wii U version. Smash is one of the main reasons I forked out for an Elgato Game Capture HD, so I'll use it for streaming and making videos.

Raijinken

Smash Master
If Sakurai doesn't release balance patches, then I will stay out of the tier discussions, as I feel they serve to divide the community and inhibit creative play at the upper levels. However, if balance patches are planned and implemented, I'll gladly contribute, as I can see merit in discussing things that can change, not things that are unlikely to do so.

That said, I'll definitely be around for spectating tournaments and things, though I've yet to decide if I'm going to go pro this time around.

Last edited:

tomvoxx

Smash Apprentice
NNID
thighland529
Switch FC
SW-1258-1614-8509
I started on Brawl Central back when that site was around and was a part of the "Brawltographers" group and entered online tournaments a few times. It was a blast... until I got a full time job after graduating high school lol.
Once Smash 4 is released for WiiU, I will still return to the site to get tips from other players and try to contribute as I can.... and of course speculate for Smash V!

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
We'll see. I've honestly been a part of a lot of minor speculative drama but I have a pretty high like to post ratio so apparently some people enjoy or agree with what I have to say haha I do want to be a part of a very Nintendo-centric commmunity, and there's not much more Nintendo-centric community than Smash Bros. I just don't want the community that I'm skirting into to become toxic.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I have a pretty high like to post ratio
In relation to my own like-to-post ratio, I often ponder what I should make of it.

I also wonder if it's more for my silly Photoshops, my Rosalina posts with innuendo (or general gushing over her in the Rosalina boards), or just actual normal/deeper/insightful posts.

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
if it's more for my silly Photoshops, my Rosalina posts with innuendo (or general gushing over her in the Rosalina boards), or just actual normal/deeper/insightful posts.
Mine are generally the former, but I'm okay with that haha

Last edited:

Nielicus

Smash Lord
I recently just joined SmashBoards after leaving gamefaqs and this place is 100000x better when it comes to discussion.

So I do plan on staying, I just hope I make some friends here to play with when the Wii U version comes out

EDIT: Why did no one mention how many errors the second half of my post had Lmfaoo

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
I was generally more active around Brawl time, but I have been watching this forum for a long time now thanks to my friend showing me Melee videos back in the day (BombSolider anyone?). Just after the release of Brawl, my activity for this place drop so hard and my disappointment skyrocketed at everything. The game, community, everything. It just felt like it was collapsing. But hearing Melee gaining ground again and Smash 4 on the horizon, I thought I give this place one more chance.

Funny enough, this place hasn't changed too much. Just now there a crazy amount of Brawl vs Melee comments every discussion I go into. No matter who's right or wrong on either side, all that does is chases out newcomers that likes the series as a whole. Unless Smash 4 turns out good, it'll just only add more to it and analysis of this game will be the least of everyone's' thoughts.

But anyways, let's answer the big question. To contribute to the competitive scene? Sadly, I won't have the time and commitment to do so. But unlike Brawl, I'll try to stick around to see what characters are doing well or not. This time, however, I won't be too crazy in the scene unless it's really good (not Melee good, but more interesting than Brawl good). If it doesn't turn out very well, then I won't shun it like Brawl and just play for the game as it's attended. Until then, we just have to see when it comes out.

Last edited:

TheMiddleVeen

Smash Cadet
I plan on actually getting more active once the game comes out. I feel as of right now I am just browsing the forums looking at everything with no real comments on anything. I'm a casual player who has an interest in competitive gameplay. I feel that I am going to try more to learn how to play competitive on the 3DS/WiiU just because while I have a understanding of brawl I don't have the time to learn competitive for it and by the time I do, the new version will be out. So hopefully I can be more apart of the community when it comes out instead of a viewer

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
At first, I just came here for the leaks and speculation and all that. But, y'know, I've come to really like this place since then, so I'll stick around.

I probably won't do the whole competitive thing unless online tournaments become a thing, and even then it'd be secondary.

Last edited:

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
I will be pretty much gone after speculation. Hell, I'm pretty much gone now. As great as the Smashboards community is, I rather read speculation then participate in it.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I definitely am excited to stick around and find out what most people think about this new smash experience. I just hope it doesn't end up being all negative.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
I only joined because of a hope to get into the competitive scene eventually. I plan to be super active once the game is out and take part in as many discussions I think I have a good amount of information to give to. Right now I mostly just browse and post every once in awhile.

NitrusVirus

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0361-6571-8413
I probably wont be around after speculation is over. I spend most of my time in the pic of the day thread, and really thats all that interests me half the time. Even lately though Ive been sparse around here just because its worn on me. I doubt Ill stick around, and I really dont know if Ill be back when Smash 5 comes around. By then Ill probably be in a much different place in my life and wont be online much in general. So no, this is probably it for me.

supercopper64

Smash Ace
NNID
CaptainOfWar
3DS FC
1650-2938-3501
I just joined a few months ago, yet have really got into the competitive scene. I really enjo having conversations about smash, but I'm getting more important goals and jobs in my life. Your OP really made me wonder where wll the hype will go when it releases. Here's my decision. I'll definitely stay. Many don't know me on here, some do and I'm gaining friends. I also love helping out rookies. This is my kind of community.

I probably wont be around after speculation is over. I spend most of my time in the pic of the day thread, and really thats all that interests me half the time. Even lately though Ive been sparse around here just because its worn on me. I doubt Ill stick around, and I really dont know if Ill be back when Smash 5 comes around. By then Ill probably be in a much different place in my life and wont be online much in general. So no, this is probably it for me.
Sucks.

You could always try participating in the community post game. It's pretty chill.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
I had an old account back in the day, which I forgot the details for. I used to be into competitive Melee back in 2006, so I used to come here to try and find local competitors.

The Brawl hype days were awesome, and I imported the Japanese version so I could play it early. Soon after it came out, though, the negative reaction was excessive, and pretty disgraceful. I couldn't find anybody who wanted to play, and a lot of Melee fans that I knew suddenly became no fun whatsoever. I couldn't stand it, so I left.

So, I came back last year hoping to start fresh with the Smash 4 scene. It already looks like people are going to be a lot more interested in this game than Brawl, so chances are good I'm going to stick around. You'll probably find me holding down the Smash 3DS scene in the UK, and plugging customised-character tournaments.

Top Bottom