• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Woofles

Smash Rookie
NNID
Prisoner-JV24601
Unfortunately since doggy isn't the most popular character, there aren't a whole lot of us mains in here. So let's kick it up! Let's all talk about our favorite part of doggy.

I like the unusual friendship between dog and quack

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Unfortunately since doggy isn't the most popular character, there aren't a whole lot of us mains in here. So let's kick it up! Let's all talk about our favorite part of doggy.

Everything about them is great, especially the expressions.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I heard Dunnobro say he isn't going to play bad characters anymore. Is he dropping the dog? I can understand why, but if it's true, that's super depressing. This character is going nowhere.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I heard Dunnobro say he isn't going to play bad characters anymore. Is he dropping the dog? I can understand why, but if it's true, that's super depressing. This character is going nowhere.
I hope not. Besides Guy, he's probably the only Duck Hunt main in the world.

Edit: Realized Dunnobro and MVD are two different people. Can't trust the Internet.

Last edited:

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice

Duck hunt duo's expressions have to be the most diverse, and it's obvious the animation team put a lot of effort into them because even minor things like the duck's eye movement and facial expressions have been thought about.

DHD is a very tough, very stressful character to utilise, where every mistake is amplified. One major mistake and you're KO'd, about four minor ones and you're KO'd. Versus hardcore players who exploit every opportunity, you're lucky if you survive.

I personally think duck hunt duo is a hidden gem (although I'm playing purely for the fact he is the underdog), and I think there are as of yet undiscovered technicals that could pull him ahead. At the moment, I'm pretty new to him, and competitive smash play in general, so it's early days, but I've got this feeling that the can has some hidden surprise move (like sudden opponent drop in mid-air or something) that is just waiting to be discovered. As in the above link, I've found you can KO at low percent ledge grabbers with can on angled stages... from the middle of the stage.

If that setup was instinctive... hoo boy.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
Dat Marth and Falco juggles with Duck Hunt were sick and crisp.
Thanks. I feel duck hunt duo relies on flexible 'pseudo' combos, so to speak, and good reads. Usually you have to layer attacks so if one fails the next gets them (so if they're off the ledge: midair gunman, can intercept, smash forward A). Done right you can use midair gunman to force them to dodge, which means their landing is often unprotected ready for the classically slow forward smash A to spike.

Because of character quirks, each combo set is subtly different. For example, combo'ing Marth relies on baiting to roll dodges to jabs because he's forward heavy (which means his rapid sword swings destroy frisbee), but Falcon relies on frisbee interrupts to dash jabs because his power moves can cover both front and back but he can't destroy frisbee so well.

Pseudo combos are easier the larger or slower the character. For some reason, there are still people who think Donkey Kong, Ganondorf, Bowser, Charizard and King Dedede are a viable counter to DHD. With the exception of a skilled Dedede (whose projectile is the only thing that sets him apart), the other characters classically get two stocked, save an unlucky hit or bad shielding.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Thanks. I feel duck hunt duo relies on flexible 'pseudo' combos, so to speak, and good reads. Usually you have to layer attacks so if one fails the next gets them (so if they're off the ledge: midair gunman, can intercept, smash forward A). Done right you can use midair gunman to force them to dodge, which means their landing is often unprotected ready for the classically slow forward smash A to spike.

Because of character quirks, each combo set is subtly different. For example, combo'ing Marth relies on baiting to roll dodges to jabs because he's forward heavy (which means his rapid sword swings destroy frisbee), but Falcon relies on frisbee interrupts to dash jabs because his power moves can cover both front and back but he can't destroy frisbee so well.

Pseudo combos are easier the larger or slower the character. For some reason, there are still people who think Donkey Kong, Ganondorf, Bowser, Charizard and King Dedede are a viable counter to DHD. With the exception of a skilled Dedede (whose projectile is the only thing that sets him apart), the other characters classically get two stocked, save an unlucky hit or bad shielding.
Have you ever done a complex combo without using any of the specials? Something similar to this...
Grab, pummel, back throw, dash attack, fair, nair, fast fall, uo smash, uair, another fair, and finally dair for the spike.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
Have you ever done a complex combo without using any of the specials? Something similar to this...
Grab, pummel, back throw, dash attack, fair, nair, fast fall, uo smash, uair, another fair, and finally dair for the spike.
Combos without specials is difficult, largely because players get the frame advantage if they opt to counter-attack or dodge a standard move. But closest I've gotten non-special combo is a grab->forward throw->dash->fair->fair (it's possible to get two air moves in, but sometimes duck hunt lands before executing: which means it then turns into a diagonal or side jab). I've been trying to find a combo-equal for non-specials for duck hunt, but his configuration isn't optimal for it.

Against certain characters, it's actually bad. For example, Ness' air attacks and dash attack both extend much further than duck hunt's, which means Ness can counter attack safely all day long, much to my chagrin. Others it's actually optimal - Ike's new OP update is vulnerable to speed jabs and grabs. You might have seen the Roy no damage juggles - that was without projectiles, although to be fair there weren't many combos in it either.

I find duck hunt has two main areas of combat - close range, and projectiles. Different characters demand one or the other. Heck, some players and their playstyles will demand one or the other regardless of character.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
It's hard to do the Dair spike. Like, I miss most of the time.
It's hard. And there's the risk of a gravity drop to KO, too. You can try practicing by knocking off a CPU with set damage in training mode and KO'ing them with dair. I find the best odds is to predict where the player will most likely arrive at (classically, they all want to return to the ledge), and then waiting until they're close enough they will attempt to grab it. You'll need to catch them slightly earlier though - ledge grab will trump with invincibility.

Another note: if you dair whilst on stage, avoid a hard 'down' on the attack - a hard down makes you take 4 frames to recover on landing (a hard landing, which is very noticeable), as opposed to 2 frames for a soft hit. Most characters' flinch will run out before the 4 frames are up. And it can be quite often fatal.

If you can't dair spike, which is hard, I'd recommend doing safer bair spikes instead - which are fatal to 'bad air' characters (Ganon, Little Mac, Falcon) and usually KO on non-bad air characters if connected.

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Think I got top 8 at a 40 something man tourney. There will be video of me winning round 1 and of a decent set between me and the second placer at some point.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know... it's been about a year now since Duck Hunt was leaked...

So, how about for the next 24 hours, we talk about how we felt when we first saw the leak... when they were confirmed... and how we feel about Duck Hunt in Smash now? :)

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Ok, so I'll be honest. At first, I thought it was weird that Duck Hunt was in. I was pretty indifferent to the duo, really. I liked his design and his concept, but I thought that there were better characters out there for Nintendo to use. Plus, I was worried that Ice Climbers were nowhere to be seen. One thing's for sure, Duck Hunt was nowhere near the top of my most wanted characters list...

But now, oh ho now, I love him! I love the way he plays in smash! There's some depth to him that I don't find in other Smash 4 cast members. I think he's my favorite character to play in any smash game ever. I'm really curious to see whether or not he would have worked if he was playable in melee. That always crosses my mind from time to time.

But yeah, love 'em both. Weird to see how my opinion of him has changed over time.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
I joined SSB4 later, so I never got to see the leak, but I'm like TheWorstMuppet - I wondered why duck hunt duo was even there at first. I first played the game at a family member's house, where I tried all the different characters (it was a straight 'no' for any sword users because I hate those guys), none of them seemed to click.

Then, on another visit, I tried duck hunt duo in an online team match, and when that frisbee first made that connect (coupled with the shots)... seeing that opponent spasm and the shots interrupt his moves, I knew I was onto a winner. Then I went into for glory and lost badly. I thought maybe I just sucked, I needed to play it more. Duck hunt duo is actually what got me to purchase the game.

Now, thousands of matches in, I get the impression Nintendo have sabotaged the character, which is why I adopted the monkier 'Underdog' - I feel duck hunt duo is Nintendo's neglected and abused underdog! The very fact he has, as TheWorstMuppet says, depth to his controls and he's actually shunned by Nintendo is what makes me want to support him more - he's perhaps the first character Nintendo don't seem overly keen on.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Didn't start till wiiu but knew he'd be playable beforehand. I honestly thought I'd be playing Marcina or Oli/Rob because casually messed with them in Melee and Brawl respectively. I also thought i would play Wii Fit.

Day 2 i played DH casually with a friend as a joke (who thought he was going to play DH and instead went to WFT), and suddenly it felt right. Except for a two week breakup where i went Villager and then Yoshi, i have been DH ever since. I shoulda seen it coming because in other fighters I either play grapplers or gimmicky oddball types.

I'm sure Nintendo hates this character or think Brood is enough to give us nothing. Every tournament, every luigi dthrow to downb or Sheik bouncing fish setup i eat, i keep wondering why we have to work so hard and why we get do little.

I'm being dramatic because there's characters way worse off than us. But they've really hurt what is a unique and interesting character. People get excited to play me in bracket, even if im not great. It's hilarious and sad.

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
Never drop doggy. Don't worry, be happy.

I heard rumors that DHD would be in, and all I needed to know was that a dog was going to be playable. Didn't matter how he plays, who he is or where he's from, I'm playing the dog.

DOGGIES YAAAAAAAS

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
The time is coming, indeed. Such a complex character takes time to digest, but once he does...

oh man shall it be a glorious romp of explosive, Mexicans and frisbee golf...

Shady Penguin

Smash Lord
Well I'm not gonna toot my own horn too much, but I did place in the money at a national with Duck Hunt.

I got 13th place at Smashcon out of 700+ and I'm one of the top 3 players in my state (North Carolina). I still have a lot of work to do, but I don't plan on dropping Duck Hunt.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
Well I'm not gonna toot my own horn too much, but I did place in the money at a national with Duck Hunt.

I got 13th place at Smashcon out of 700+ and I'm one of the top 3 players in my state (North Carolina). I still have a lot of work to do, but I don't plan on dropping Duck Hunt.
Excellent man! Keep on representing the (under)dog!

oh man shall it be a glorious romp of explosive, Mexicans and frisbee golf...
Mexicans with explosive frisbee golf?

Sounds like one too many tacos...

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239

Keep at it, man! You gotta supporter in me, fer sure! Now that I know more Duck Hunt mains are on the way up to the top, it's encouraging me to keep practicin' with him!

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
If DuckHunt had a strong (kill) throw, he'd surely jump some tiers.
I love him but losing the stock first is a HUGE disadvantage, and it happens so often it's not funny...
:196:

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
If DuckHunt had a strong (kill) throw, he'd surely jump some tiers.
I love him but losing the stock first is a HUGE disadvantage, and it happens so often it's not funny...
:196:
I'm working on resolving this. There is one advantage to duck hunt duo's lack of launch power, and I'm not sure if anyone here has thought of it (I exploit it in nearly every match to save myself) - you can use the can to interrupt what would otherwise be a guaranteed smash to KO move. I've survived countless mid-air spikes and landing spikes this way (I even survived a wario fart at over 120 this way too). Most people don't do it, because to harm yourself is counter-intuitive, but because DHD has such shoddy launch power, it makes sense to override a fatal, say, Marth spike with a can.

You can get away with it up to somewhere between 155-175 depending on location on stage and DI, but that by itself is crazy.

Last edited:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I'm working on resolving this. There is one advantage to duck hunt duo's lack of launch power, and I'm not sure if anyone here has thought of it (I exploit it in nearly every match to save myself) - you can use the can to interrupt what would otherwise be a guaranteed smash to KO move. I've survived countless mid-air spikes and landing spikes this way (I even survived a wario fart at over 120 this way too). Most people don't do it, because to harm yourself is counter-intuitive, but because DHD has such shoddy launch power, it makes sense to override a fatal, say, Marth spike with a can.

You can get away with it up to somewhere between 155-175 depending on location on stage and DI, but that by itself is crazy.

Don't forget kamikaze aerial kills. If you cant send them to the blast zone, sometimes you gotta bring it closer.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
Don't forget kamikaze aerial kills. If you cant send them to the blast zone, sometimes you gotta bring it closer.
I was about to post up a video on canikaze to bair in my quirk KO threads (in the process of uploading the example video which is taking ages). Unfortunately, the video doesn't depict an actual KO (hard to just do as it's often spontaneous), just the technique, but I have gotten KOs using that method on numerous occasions.

It's such I'm worried about what happens if they do increase his launch power. Will the can methods we use no longer be effective?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
If the dog gets buffs next patch, I might be willing to commit to him full time. Right now he's more for fun because I'm not comfortable with him yet. But if he was just a bit more up to par, I feel like he's the ideal character for me. As it is, he's too shaky for me to commit to, but I may devote more time to him. The next few months are going to be slow for Smash 4 on my side of the mountain, so don't like, expect results or anything.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
But if he was just a bit more up to par
DHD is gaining within range, trust me, it's just a number of other characters (cough: Ike, Sonic, Sheik, super-protected roll dodge Ness/Lucas, 'good at everything' Link) are too strong within particular subsets. Sonic's speed is, in my opinion, too high (or if it is meant to be high, he's in dire need of some vulnerability period time where it's possible to punish/actually hit the... turd burglar). Sheik is similar. Ike's sword does some insane damage (like ~20% a hit... what the heck NIntendo?). Link's extendo sword plus rapid projectile spam plus decent air plus heavy weight (that causes poor launchability) combine to form a difficult to break wall on most days.

They all have the same issue: there isn't any particular weakness. A slower Ike, a delayed-to-shield Sonic, a much less effective boomerang, a roll dodge you can hit... something, anything! It's possible to go toe to toe with Falcon - poor air and proper vulnerability time... why aren't the others more fair, akin to Falcon?

Top Bottom