• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I have been working on my Duck Hunt plush. Dog is mostly done but needs work in some areas. I intend to replace the collar. I plan to make the duck plush too.

The dots I put on the muzzle and the collar is hard to see due to flash so here is a picture without flash.

This is my first time trying to embroider on plush so the eyes may look a little odd because I combined embroidery with the fuzzy minky and the white fuzz on that minky is blocking a little portion of the pupil on the first pic so that is why the eye looks a little strange especially in the first picture.
I didn't know you hung out around here! He's adorable :3

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
The plush was so much trial and error, especially the muzzle. I had barely any references for the rounded jowl the dog has and I looked at a plush Pluto at the Disney Store website to get an idea of how that area would be broken down into geometric shapes for me to make a pattern out of. It did not really help.

I now have a better idea of how to embroider. Perhaps the duck's embroidery will be a lot more smoother and professional looking.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I have been working on my Duck Hunt plush. Dog is mostly done but needs work in some areas. I intend to replace the collar. I plan to make the duck plush too.

The dots I put on the muzzle and the collar is hard to see due to flash so here is a picture without flash.

This is my first time trying to embroider on plush so the eyes may look a little odd because I combined embroidery with the fuzzy minky and the white fuzz on that minky is blocking a little portion of the pupil on the first pic so that is why the eye looks a little strange especially in the first picture.
He's adorable!

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
hey guys, just wanted to share a picture my friend drew the other day! Go Duck Hunt! :4duckhunt:

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
And so, MVD ends Day 1 of EVO 2015 at Top 32 from the Loser's side of the bracket. Judging from this document (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...yVNyyYmCGQMJ358/htmlview?usp=sharing&sle=true), he was the only Doggy to have played on stream at twitch.tv/srkevo4, and only for 1 round against Abadango's Pac-Man, which was a total heart-breaker to me, considering how strong he started off the match (he stole his Melon!) and the amount of intel we've gathered & shared regarding the DH VS Pac-Man MU here on Smashboards.

Personally, I'm wondering if he'll get to square off against Tweek at some point on Saturday, so the whole world will get to see the DH VS Jr MU play out at a high level, and also so all the data we've gathered here regarding this MU will be put to the test on the big stage, both among those two, and the spectators who may come by here and either read about it or even put in their 2 cents (though if they want to do that, they'll probably have to take those 2 cents to the Jr boards, since our discussion period for that MU ended at least a week ago). I'll admit, one of the dream matches that I would LOVE to see live-streamed with high level players IS the DH VS Jr MU, and personally to me, it would be the single most hype match in all of EVO, were it to happen on Day 2, whether in singles or in doubles. I'll also admit to WISHING that the Tweek VS DunnoBro matches happened on-stream during that one week when Tweek showed up at Xanadu.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Every time I see MVD use DHD he loses it feels like. I can't find any footage of him winning with him in months :(

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
He's more so a Diddy main, with a Duck Hunt pocket... But still pretty good.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Well. The side of my state that was pro customs is flip flopping. I guess I'm railroaded to defaults only.

Lord hammercy give us a patch.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
I'm just returning from a small tournament in Edinburgh. I played alright leading up to winners but the finals were pretty embarrassing. I played really bad, giving up much of the neutral 'cause I was so desperate for the kill. I came third though, which ain't too bad. I just need to work on that stage control. I'll post the stream tomorrow hopefully.

By the way, @ Splooshi Splashy Splooshi Splashy did I catch your name in the stream? If so, thank you so much for the support! I really appreciate it! :^)

Edit: Alright, just watched the recorded stream and the lack of frames per second is unreal so I won't post it. I'll just hafta hope that I get some games filmed at our big tournament on saturday. Will be reppin' dog all the way!

Last edited:

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
You're welcome, @ TheWorstMuppet TheWorstMuppet . I was definitely among the Stream Monsters during that tournament. As soon as I saw one of them mention Muppet, I asked if he really was you, which you were, making me be all like "YOOOO! Kreygasm". I got hype, and those matches were also hype.

The finals were definitely tough to watch, as you had those players at 150+%, and I was expecting walk-up Down Smashes, run-up Up Smashes, and even sneaky Up Tilts, yet, aside from that 1 DSmash, they never came. ;-;
Oh yes, as I've once said during some of my MU analyses, Up Tilt is a legit KO option at 150+%.

I love being a Stream Monster. I'm surprised I haven't been doing this earlier. ;o

I really should get going on my big post regarding the 3 MUs currently going before we move on to another set of MUs, for there's tech that has yet to be written out there. I'm also wanting to use the photos there as an excuse to namedrop MegaYoshi... :shiro:

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
I've come to the conclusion that someone on the Smash team was one of the thousands of kids that hated the Duck Hunt Dog and is getting his revenge by making sure the character has an innovative and intriguing playing style with no killing power or setups.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I've come to the conclusion that someone on the Smash team was one of the thousands of kids that hated the Duck Hunt Dog and is getting his revenge by making sure the character has an innovative and intriguing playing style with no killing power or setups.
It's a metaphor for all the times we got mad at that dog for having a giggle...

NOW WE'RE THE DOGS BEING LAUGHED AT.

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I love the dog and duck so much as a character, but then I play ROB and I'm like, "Damn, this is full blown EZ mode". I can literally just robo hoo hah and kill at 80%, and spam nair for spacing. DHD just has so much trouble.
It's a metaphor for all the times we got mad at that dog for having a giggle...

NOW WE'RE THE DOGS BEING LAUGHED AT.
But what did the duck do to deserve this tho? ;_;

Last edited:

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
Doggy really needs the rage unfortunately. Honestly, I'm more bothered by losing rage than the actual stock when I die. It's a shame that the can is both a spacing tool and a kill option. Having it be stale almost all of the time really hinders doggy's kill power even further

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So I was thinking about what stages we might see in SSB5 (maybe in 5 years from now)... and I would like to see a new Duck Hunt stage... this time, based on the Clay Shooting mode... it would be named "Clay Shooting", of course...

It is similar to the Duck Hunt stage... except the main platform now have a shallow valley in the middle... so there are two slopes going down toward each other. Also, there is a long flat pass-through platform... see that line where the light green field meets the dark green mountains? That's the platform. Clay pigeons appear and players can hit them just like the ducks in the Duck Hunt stage.

chaos11011

Smash Lord
NNID
IDSeason
I really like it! It's super cute. Leaving the tongue out was a great call and a fantastic touch.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
So how viable is the dog without customs? He's really interesting to me, but with no more customs everywhere, is he just not good enough? I can deal with low kill power as long as his neutral is good, which it seems to be. Just wanted to hear of the struggle before I commit to the character. Is he at least better off then Robin?

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
So how viable is the dog without customs? He's really interesting to me, but with no more customs everywhere, is he just not good enough? I can deal with low kill power as long as his neutral is good, which it seems to be. Just wanted to hear of the struggle before I commit to the character. Is he at least better off then Robin?
Considering the two of them are my mains, really comes down to do you want an easier time killing or an easier neutral game? Robin for KO's and Duck Hunt for a better neutral. I do think Doggy is better, as long as you are willing to learn all his set ups, and traps. Robin is easier to play, however.

outfoxd

Smash Ace
NNID
outfoxd
Duck Hunt requires a massive commitment and the understanding you may well always be behind. Pretty much the only reason I have secondaries anymore is because i needed a better doubles character.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Well, I don't mind needing to try harder than most people, and as long as it's doable I'll give it a shot. I doubt I'll ever make a splash in the Smash scene around here, but at least I could be repping an under used character. The idea of setting traps and getting in an opponent's head is thrilling to me, and I do enjoy spending time theory crafting and grinding out matchups. I've tried a bunch of characters since launch and none have stuck. Just hoping that Duck Hunt is a good fit for me.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I can't wait to pre-order my DH Amiibo when orders open this Saturday.

I hope they'll make it compatible with other games. That dorky bloodhound has flat-out become one of my favorite video game characters.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Man, you guys aren't joking. Playing Duck Hunt is stressful already. I have to literally out play and outwork my opponent constantly or I lose. I'm persistent but boy is this going to be rough.

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Man, you guys aren't joking. Playing Duck Hunt is stressful already. I have to literally out play and outwork my opponent constantly or I lose. I'm persistent but boy is this going to be rough.
Yeah there's gonna be more than a few times where you get frustrated playing Duck Hunt. I can't count how many times I've had someone on the ropes, made a mistake and then lose, while they're sitting at 180+%.

On the other hand, when the momentums in your favor and tricks are gettin' pulled off, there's nothing more exciting than that! It's just whether you can deal with the work you hafta put into playing the dawg.

Top Bottom