• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Also also, how can you guys even Duckhunt on FG? He's so annoying to use...
:196:
I personally adore playing DH in FG.... if we're talking about the FFA & Teams rooms, as well as the Customs On rooms in Tourney Mode (including 1v1 Custom Glory & even Anything Goes in the Regular Tourney section). He and Jr are my 2 most frequently played characters in FG Anywhere, not only because they're my mains, but they have surprisingly good answers to some of the most common complaints thrown at FG Anywhere (ex. "For Glory Link ROBs" (After LoF|False ran into one, they became memetic hoots to me now. XD I'd link to it here, were it not for the major E-Sports unfriendly language & salt spillage within it.), Sweetspot FSmash-fishing :4feroy:s that can KO at 60-ish% near the edges, fortified campsites in FG Teams, Flare Blitz spammers (in FFAs and Teams, really), etc.), and they're also surprisingly functional in high lag moments (moreso DH than Jr, imo), IF you play defensively, for DH does NOT have Side B Jump Cancel (juggle)s to manage (even off-stage!), nor is DH as compelled to go in as much as Jr is (at least until the opponent's at 100+% for hard FSmash reads or 110+%? for the UAir / RAR BAir or 125-ish+%? for the sweetspot NAir or 150+% for the sneaky walk-Up Tilt). Yet DH has Can & Clay B-pressings to manage, which messing up when you're off-stage isn't as brutally self-destructive as Spinning Out of Jr's Side B when trying to Jump Cancel out of the Side B off-stage can be, especially if you're lucky enough to be at a walled Omega and close to the wall if/when the execution error happens.

FG 1v1.... While I CAN hang there sometimes, it's still my least favorite room in all of FG Anywhere, mainly because I still believe that virtually every other fighting game in the world does what that room tries to offer better. Even the For Friends room and certain Tourney Mode rooms do what that room tries to do better, due to legal stages (the biggest universially agreed-upon reason, I believe), Miis, and Custom Specials. Few fighting games in the world even ALLOW for teams and FFAs at all, so seeing them offered here is of great interest to me, especially teams. It may just be me, but I can't help but think that the actual teams meta (including 3v3s & 4v4s) for us seems as underdeveloped as Jr's, with the prevailing idea for the both of them possibly being *Suspicions based on general receptions & the lack of actual teams footage featuring them inbound. Take the following blue texted claim with much grains of salt.*, "If Customs are OFF, don't bother with DH or Jr, 'cus with friendly fire ON, you'll likely be hitting your partner(s) with your arsenal for over 50% of the match, which ruins your ability to provide awesome cover fire & makes it easier for the opposing team to gang up on your partner(s) (and later you when you've inadvertently done a significant portion of their work on your partner(s) for them, due to how much your arsenal can get in your whole team's way) out of the stage. Stick to Teams with friendly fire OFF if you really want to be either one of those two in a Teams environment, where the lack of friendly fire makes their cover fire abilities wonderful blessings for your partner, who will want it or even need it against campsites as sturdy as what folks like (T)Links, S(p)amuses, and Mega Men will put up." I'd imagine such a reasoning would probably explain why finding legit teams footage with DH and/or Jr in them is quite hard, in comparison to someone like the Mario Bros or Rosalina or Sheik... At least when Customs are ON, we get 3113 or 3133 to make accidentally hitting our partner less likely to happen. :p I personally really hope my blue texted statement is wrong, and that it's just their lack of actual teams footage leading me to those statements.

Yet allowing for legal stages, Miis, and Custom Specials would make 1v1s more interesting to the point of me wanting to participate in them more often. Since the advent of Tourney Mode, all those have almost been made possible, except for limiting the stage list to legals only, forbidding EQUIPMENT when Custom Specials are on, and turning off all items (including Smash Balls. Yeah, I'll admit it, Smash Ball Only rooms just aren't good enough, especially when obviously illegal stages can randomly show up). Repping 312x or 313x DH in the Regular Tourney area whenever possible is so hype & cool, for I earnestly feel confident enough with those decks to believe that I can fight ANYONE who may show up in that room, even Sonic (I'd swap default Clay for Rising Clay against him, IF the Regular Tourney rooms would LET ME switch Custom Loadouts between Rounds like a REAL Tournament would), Olimar, and Rosaluma. I wish the FFA Tourneys in the area outside of the Regular Tourney area (i.e. the very 1st screen that pops up when you enter Tourney Mode) weren't such ghost towns, so they'd make the wait between the Regular Tourney room start times more bearable...

Nobody really seems to hate on my DH in FG Anywhere, though that's probably because I aggressively rushdown people hard enough so as to come off as Captain Falcon. Were I to play as defensively as, oh say, Pachouli Knowledge in Immaterial & Missing Power/Scarlet Weather Rhapsody/Hisoutensoku (I personally mained Hong Meiling/China-chan, Youmu Konpaku, and Aya Shameimaru in the Touhou 2D fighter series), I probably would get as many reporters and haters as outfoxd claims to the point of winding up in Ban Land, alongside numerous people that have been claiming to be there in the Online section of these boards as of late. As for anyone blocking me, I wouldn't know. If they did, I'd have no idea about that at all.

I DO wonder when there's going to be another Conquest featuring DH.... And I'm also wondering if/when that does happen, that DH will go up against someone we've actually covered in the MU thread thus far...

As for what I mean by my aggressive rushdown style:

Before and after this match, my equally aggressive Jr was featured rushing down folks, with me taking on both the assist and leader roles. I may not find my DH leading whole teams TOO often in direct comparison to my Jr, but in certain matches (ex. My partner's someone like Ike, and/or the opposing team features (T)Link(s).), I'll courageously lead the pack as the Duo. Oh, and going into that match, the rarely-seen-in-FG-Anywhere Olimar was who stood out to me the most, recalling that we get outcamped by him. My love for walled Omegas & wall-jumps certainly shows 1 minute into that match as well. XD

Going in on the Mario Bros. without much of my arsenal out there at times does seem to be a pretty dumb idea on my end, given their superior DThrow --> Followups (UTilt City for Mario & Aerials x? for Luigi), but seeing as how it's merely FG Teams (While I may have once said that I care for my win rate here to an extent, it's really because of how much I like the idea of teams. Who even sees the records anyways, outside of live-streamers who show it off to whoever may be among the Stream Monsters, anyways? XP), I wanted to "put on a show" via aggressive rushdown. Oh, and my bro Speeds was the Triple D buddy, who may not have read my post on the Triple D & DH FG Teams strats, but once the opposing team gave me & my bro enough space, we've certainly demonstrated why my vid's named the way it is (and why I consider Triple D to be such a good partner for DH in FG Teams).

As you can see, FG Teams is my most favorite room in all of FG on the 3DS version (and one of my most favorites on the Wii U version, alongside Tourney Mode when Customs are On) for a variety of reasons (ex. Rushdown's rewarded more, I have a buddy to handle my bad MUs with (and vice versa), recovering above the ledge becomes safer with a buddy covering my landings, and excessive shielding can get punished with shield breaks if both me & my partner double-team the shielder (which DOES happen in the 3rd 3DS match posted above, even though I was Jr).). The FFA room's really just my go-to room for the weekly Conquests, due to the points earned being based on KOs racked up & the place earned at the end (with 1st being best, obviously). If Tourney Mode was also in the 3DS version, AND it allowed for Custom Specials only AND Teams, that would be my most favorite online mode that wouldn't require Anther's or other outside services. Oh, and as far as I can remember, NOBODY reported me after all the above matches. Hopefully those gave you some ideas on how DH can function in FG Anywhere (in Teams at least). Critiques on those matches above are very much welcome, btw.

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
I pretty much only play Teams. Less insults towards my DH for starters though it does occasionally happen.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
Ah, the salt players of for glory! How bitter is their taste!

The irony is palpable, for two reasons: one, the people who spam the most, are the ones that complain, and two, my style is dictated by their own performance.

I have two main combat styles: close range (A moves mainly) and 'full on' (that means projectile flooding etc).
Of those two combat styles, I follow two techniques: Tzu Sun (offense is best defence), and aikido (I wait, read, dodge and counter the opponent). The former I attack, the latter I react.

People who will see close range, are classically those ones not using either top tier characters or spam tactics/spam characters. Ryu, Bowser, Ganondorf are de facto close range, but Donkey Kong, Mario, Luigi and sometimes Falco, Paluenta can be (depends if they go 'spammy' or not).

The salty players, however, tend to either be:
Link/Toon Link with boomerang spam.
Sonic with spin dash spam (he can't be fought close range due to his absurdly high speed stat anyway).
Pikachu with the lightning bolt spam ('Pikachu, pikachu, pikachu').
Rob with alternating spinning top/laser spam.
Little Mac (which, due to his issues, I just consider to be cheap).
Captain Falcon (who I consider to be balanced, but his speed, like Sonic, forces me to use projectiles).

And the cheek is, despite using all of their moves, they expect me to withhold some of mine! What? I'm a projectile character, my main game is projectiles, so what do you expect? Nintendo crippled everything else (roll dodge, air dodge, smash attacks, the shortness of the backair and the end lag, the horrible, horrible end lag), so would they like me to stand still too whilst they pummel me to death? (Although to be frank even in my 'dodge' only state during aikido style I caused several players to kill themselves. I'm looking at you, sonic).

If they want a no projectile fight, they gotta not use projectiles themselves. Yes, Ryu player, I'd love to close range combat, but you kept spamming hadukens as interrupts which basically meant I had to frisbee to counter, and the way I saw it was, as you felt projectiles were okay, so did I.

I personally will take any loss and run with it (I got beaten by a sword-wielding Link 10 times in a row who had obviously mastered frame timings and thus was difficult to hit: I'd KO him and juggle to high percents but finishes on last stock were a nightmare and eventually it got so bad I could only get 1 move in to every 10 of his only to get combo-locked to oblivion. At that stage I wasn't learning anything and decided to quit).

But the salt players? No, they lose but once and they run. If they're winning, sure, they'll stay. They lose? Nope, they're outta here. I could understand losing several times, but quitting after losing on the fifth match after close wins on the first four? Not cool bro, not cool.

I think we need a rant thread...

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
It's fun to stop flare blitz spamming Charizard with clay pigeon.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
You can also stop it with gunman.

If I'm dealing with a charizard spamming it in team matches, I try to protect my teammate with the 'three layers of defence'.

Which goes:
Gunman (roll dodge back)
Frisbee
Shield

What happens if you air gap a space between the gunman and yourself (which is usually the working space of your teammate). The frisbee covers the interim gap (and also after gunman falls or disappears), and finally the shield if the frisbee is broken before it's shot. If your teammate is behind any one of those three, they'll be protected in most cases. It basically gives him coverage options against charizard.

You can also stop it with a can, but that's a bit inconsistent and tends to homing deflect.

I think the most fun part about DHD is the fact you can multi-task both opponents, and lock them up with frisbee shot interrupts. If I get a good teammate who is on the ball, they'll use the shot interrupts to execute a nice fatal smash attack.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I don't think I can do it any more. Game 3 loser's semis. Made two fsmash reads for the game winner and both times he slid out ;-; unless Duck Hunt gets a good buff in the next patch, I'll just completely switch to Marth and Rosalina. This character is too much work for too little reward :(

Perris6

Smash Journeyman
I don't think I can do it any more. Game 3 loser's semis. Made two fsmash reads for the game winner and both times he slid out ;-; unless Duck Hunt gets a good buff in the next patch, I'll just completely switch to Marth and Rosalina. This character is too much work for too little reward :(
That happened to me last tourney three times tho. I'm basically in the same boat

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
It's pretty ruff, yeah... I don't think it's worth dropping Doggy, as I think he'll get better and we'll become better Doggies overall, but goddamn the uphill struggle is real. I understand getting fustrated...

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
This set was extra rough for me. I had so much opportunity for punishes, but not enough for a kill option. Getting grabs and knowing you probably won't get the kill at 170+% is just demoralizing...

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
That's the ever nasty slide glitch. And it gets worse, because from observation I've found the slide glitch is more likely to occur on moving characters (!!!), and it scales based on how small they are: so the faster moving, smaller sized characters that are already are a female dog to hit are the ones that are more likely to get the slide glitch. Link, bizarrely, is especially prone (and he's the one that needs to be f-smashed the most!).

The only way around this some pros have instinctively already developed: rely on back airs and up airs to do the job of KOing, using up-smash power slides (so run/slide into your opponent and hit up-smash on the smash stick or smash pad), or utilise cans in special combo KOs (which is my technique: I once KO'd a player twice in a row by canikaze->backair).

I think we urgently need to figure out how to exploit the slide glitch to our advantage (at the moment I do a double smash: if they slide glitch the first time, I forward smash again immediately because classically they run at me). I think the glitch might setup into some sort of true combo because it doesn't knock the player far, but it does stun them somewhat.

I will do my best to find out quirk ways of doing KO (which reminds me I need to upload the Little Mac quirk KO video) to help DHD players to compensate for Nintendo's dodgy gaming.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am very happy that the Duck Hunt stage is now in the 3DS version too... now the duo has a home of their own on the 3DS.

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
I feel like racking up that extra bit of damage to be able to KO with things like aerials is a better option than the FSmash at this point because it's so unreliable, I generally don't even try it anymore unless I have a big lead.
And let's be honest here, racking up damage is not much of an issue with this one.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
My de facto KO move is can and back air surprise. I'm getting the timing on f-smashes down in combos so I can do risk-free attempts, but don't discount it entirely: it's range still gives it a use.

From what I see, the pro players use power slides into up-smashes with DHD (which I've been trying to a limited extent). But I think there's a trick to DHD's down smash A - what with it killing Mac at 0%. I think it could extend to Ganon, Falcon, Wario (maybe), Link and Toon Link, due to bad air, but it'll need more research time.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
The best way to use DHD's down smash is to do it while the dog is facing away from the ledge... the third shot always sends the opponent behind the dog... but most of you probably already knew that. :awesome:

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
The best way to use DHD's down smash is to do it while the dog is facing away from the ledge... the third shot always sends the opponent behind the dog... but most of you probably already knew that. :awesome:
Doing the slide glitch on down smash A is actually the most effective usage because it sends opponents the furthest for the least percentage, and it sends them downward horizontally, which is the worst place for any recovering player to be (the only other 'worst place' is heading upwards on a lightweight character to the ceiling blast zone).

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
What do you guys think about the new shield?
I realise it's fairly recent but it's quite a big change.
Personally I feel like shields used to be too good, but that this is the wrong way to fix that issue. (I feel like shield pushback would be a better way to balance it than shieldstun)
And most importantly, has anyone discovered whether or not this gives the Dog any new options/weaknesses?

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
Probably common knowledge but today I learned for sure that partners in Team Battles with Team Attack off (such as on For Glory) can break your clay pigeons. I always heard the clay pigeons breaking when it goes near my partner when they are in the middle of an attack but I had a King Dedede partner who threw a Gordo and I threw a clay pigeon behind him and the clay pigeon hit the Gordo and it reflected back at us. And I thought I only have to figure out when best to use cans if partners are competent enough to not stand near them when they are about to go off.

Last edited:

a dog

Smash Cadet
Hello everyone, a dog here. I just started playing Smash a couple of weeks ago and the character I enjoy the most is Duck Hunt. However I'm not very good with him (I rarely ever win) so I joined up here to maybe learn more about how to play him the correct way rather than just the trolly way.

a dog

Smash Cadet
It's fun to stop flare blitz spamming Charizard with clay pigeon.
Is flare blitz the side B? Because I stop that with gunman as a meat shield.

What do you guys think about the new shield?
I realise it's fairly recent but it's quite a big change.
Personally I feel like shields used to be too good, but that this is the wrong way to fix that issue. (I feel like shield pushback would be a better way to balance it than shieldstun)
And most importantly, has anyone discovered whether or not this gives the Dog any new options/weaknesses?
Gotta imagine it makes life so much more difficult for any character whose game relies around patience, defensive play, and setups.

Also with this universal change, offensive characters automatically got buffed, with Roy being one exceptional example - his moves are all incredibly safe on shield and that much harder to punish.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Please avoid posting two posts in a row, it's against the rules.

That said, welcome aboard!
:196:

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
Is flare blitz the side B? Because I stop that with gunman as a meat shield.

Gotta imagine it makes life so much more difficult for any character whose game relies around patience, defensive play, and setups.

Also with this universal change, offensive characters automatically got buffed, with Roy being one exceptional example - his moves are all incredibly safe on shield and that much harder to punish.
As someone who plays Ganondorf, yes, it's become even more difficult to do anything due to those extra frames which he desperately needs to punish anything out of shield, it's very unfortunate.

a dog

Smash Cadet
As someone who plays Ganondorf, yes, it's become even more difficult to do anything due to those extra frames which he desperately needs to punish anything out of shield, it's very unfortunate.
Oh yeah, I bet dealing with Link and the various Marths is a nightmare now. (Mentioned them primarily because they're the most common characters online, after all.) Ganondorf seems like a character who relies heavily on defense and making super hard reads, so one half of his game became harder while the other half hardly improved (he wouldn't benefit much from the longer shield stun).

Played my very first 1v1 FG matches today with the dog. I'm still not super good at the pressure game so I mostly lamed it out, slowing the speed of the match down to my liking and never allowing the opponents to play the game they wanted to play - which, for most of them, is "rush in and mash the super fast attacks in your face!" There are a lot of players online who are about equal in skill to me (beginner-level, low execution), but they aren't so big on playing the mind games and the metagame it seems. They lack patience and just want to get that hit, no matter what - meanwhile I'm just smiling as I run, jump, set up traps, and dodge everything they throw at me. They get frustrated and demoralized too easily, though that's great for me, since I've taken them off of their A-game and forced them into a desperate "oh god please let me hit the dog PLEASE LET ME HIT THE DOG" game.

Anyway, don't take this post as talking up my skills or anything. I know I'm still a garbage-tier player, and wouldn't stand a chance at a real tournament. I'm just wanting to say that I really had fun today. For me, a mental victory is as good as an actual victory, so I'd say I did okay for a first day, considering.

Last edited:

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
Oh yeah, I bet dealing with Link and the various Marths is a nightmare now. (Mentioned them primarily because they're the most common characters online, after all.) Ganondorf seems like a character who relies heavily on defense and making super hard reads, so one half of his game became harder while the other half hardly improved (he wouldn't benefit much from the longer shield stun).

Played my very first 1v1 FG matches today with the dog. I'm still not super good at the pressure game so I mostly lamed it out, slowing the speed of the match down to my liking and never allowing the opponents to play the game they wanted to play - which, for most of them, is "rush in and mash the super fast attacks in your face!" There are a lot of players online who are about equal in skill to me (beginner-level, low execution), but they aren't so big on playing the mind games and the metagame it seems. They lack patience and just want to get that hit, no matter what - meanwhile I'm just smiling as I run, jump, set up traps, and dodge everything they throw at me. They get frustrated and demoralized too easily, though that's great for me, since I've taken them off of their A-game and forced them into a desperate "oh god please let me hit the dog PLEASE LET ME HIT THE DOG" game.

Anyway, don't take this post as talking up my skills or anything. I know I'm still a garbage-tier player, and wouldn't stand a chance at a real tournament. I'm just wanting to say that I really had fun today. For me, a mental victory is as good as an actual victory, so I'd say I did okay for a first day, considering.
I actually need to learn the Ganondorf - Duck Hunt matchup, want to try that sometime?
I'm not sure how we compare to each other in terms of skill but I guess we'll find that out then.
If you want to do this, please give me your NNID

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
It's like Nintendo went WHICH CHARACTERS ARE OP?! Before immediately buffing them all and then nerfing the already nerfed characters. Either Nintendo are a bunch of -something- bags trolling us, or they have no idea how to balance (and how to develop programming that efficiently exploits networking) and this is their attempt by wildly gesticulating in random directions.

They did, after all, bring us OP Diddy originally, Meta Knight in brawl before that, and the ZSS infinite combo glitch. It's like they review beta testing handiwork and go lets do the total opposite of what they recommend before rolling around in bags of money from DLC characters. I mean, they approved Bowser Jr knowing what a spam hell he'd become.

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
It's like Nintendo went WHICH CHARACTERS ARE OP?! Before immediately buffing them all and then nerfing the already nerfed characters. Either Nintendo are a bunch of -something- bags trolling us, or they have no idea how to balance (and how to develop programming that efficiently exploits networking) and this is their attempt by wildly gesticulating in random directions.

They did, after all, bring us OP Diddy originally, Meta Knight in brawl before that, and the ZSS infinite combo glitch. It's like they review beta testing handiwork and go lets do the total opposite of what they recommend before rolling around in bags of money from DLC characters. I mean, they approved Bowser Jr knowing what a spam hell he'd become.
Spammy as Jr might be, he won't ever be cheap, fortunately.
I'd guess it's the latter though, they just don't know how to balance, got complaints about the shield and just spun a wheel to see how they'd nerf the shield.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
I'm still not super good at the pressure game so I mostly lamed it out, slowing the speed of the match down to my liking and never allowing the opponents to play the game they wanted to play - which, for most of them, is "rush in and mash the super fast attacks in your face!"
If you're dealing with rushers, it probably suggests you aren't immediately deploying either frisbee, gunman or can at the start of the match. Done right you turn a rush into an immediate opening. Here's my list of cliche openings that work on average pretty well against particular characters:

Pikachu - gunman to frisbee
Captain Falcon - frisbee to dash
Zero Suit Samus - can to dash/fair
ROB - No deployment or gunman (they sit a lot)
Wario - frisbee to whatever
Charizard - gunman to roll dodge
Lucas/Ness - Frisbee to roll dode
Duck hunt duo - No deployment, counter deployment
Link - gunman to aggressive f-air
Sonic - frisbee to shield
Roy - frisbee to shield/roll dodge
Marth - frisbee to shield/roll dodge
Ike - frisbee to shield/roll dodge
Luigi - frisbee to dash/fair
Mario - frisbee to dash/fair
Bowser Jr - no deployment (either dash grab koopa or jump cannon and aggressive f-air)
Ryu - frisbee to whatever
Ganondorf - Laugh taunt to roll dodge to frisbee
Donkey Kong - Laugh taunt to roll dodge to grab
Fox - frisbee to gunman
Falco - frisbee to gunman
Mewtwo - frisbee to aggressive f-air
Samus - frisbee to aggressive f-air
Little Mac - frisbee to dash attack
Peach - frisbee to can intercept
Zelda - frisbee to aggressive f-air
Kirby - frisbee to can intercept
Jigglypuff - frisbee to can intercept
Rosalina and Tuna - no deployment, mind games, deploy gunman mid range, dash attack
Sheik - frisbee, can to block/intercept
Palutena - frisbee to aggressive forward air

The hard and fast rules I follow are:
If you aren't sure what to use, it's either a frisbee or a gunman.
If it's a projectile user or a reflecting type, it will likely require an aggressive forward air follow up.
If it's Pikachu, gunman, no exceptions.
If they jump or float a lot it will likely require a can.
If the hit succeeds, dash attack.
If the hit gets shielded, dash grab.

The rest is up to you.

Last edited:

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
Spammy as Jr might be, he won't ever be cheap, fortunately.
I'd guess it's the latter though, they just don't know how to balance, got complaints about the shield and just spun a wheel to see how they'd nerf the shield.
Bowser Jr feels cheap because he violates most of the conventional smash rules.
His up-B doesn't stun him from doing any attacks. And it's already an attack by itself. (compare DHD's up-b: no attack)
His clown koopa car halves damage to him (that's right: to get 'real' damage you have to hit his titchy face).
The tired, old and cliche 'mecha koopa->canon->car dash->up B->aerial attack' spam, that is to say, predictableness is *not* punished or easily punishable here.

And what's worse is, having never played the character before, I defeated another player using this character (myself using only A moves, I might add). I didn't win through mastery nor skill: just the OP nature.

If Nintendo could somehow tone down the cliche moveset up there, he'd be bearable. But Nintendo's idea of nerfing stuff is to give them even more power, so perhaps we should suggest they buff him instead?

(My view: make being in the up-B state super launchable to being smashed. He doesn't have the clown car, after all... so he's a lot lighter, right?)

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
Bowser Jr feels cheap because he violates most of the conventional smash rules.
His up-B doesn't stun him from doing any attacks. And it's already an attack by itself. (compare DHD's up-b: no attack)
His clown koopa car halves damage to him (that's right: to get 'real' damage you have to hit his titchy face).
The tired, old and cliche 'mecha koopa->canon->car dash->up B->aerial attack' spam, that is to say, predictableness is *not* punished or easily punishable here.

And what's worse is, having never played the character before, I defeated another player using this character (myself using only A moves, I might add). I didn't win through mastery nor skill: just the OP nature.

If Nintendo could somehow tone down the cliche moveset up there, he'd be bearable. But Nintendo's idea of nerfing stuff is to give them even more power, so perhaps we should suggest they buff him instead?

(My view: make being in the up-B state super launchable to being smashed. He doesn't have the clown car, after all... so he's a lot lighter, right?)
I don't know, I personally have no issues with Jr, but I guess it could just be the matchup with Duck Hunt
The weight thing makes sense but it would make his recovery even worse than it already is, a light hit during recovery is enough to ruin him completely as it is.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
I don't know, I personally have no issues with Jr, but I guess it could just be the matchup with Duck Hunt
The weight thing makes sense but it would make his recovery even worse than it already is, a light hit during recovery is enough to ruin him completely as it is.
It could be a DHD thing but whenever I punch him he just sorta flops a short distance like a heavy weight before vehicular dash then up-B'ing back on again. Most are smart enough to ledge grab to avoid up-B vulnerability.

Bowser Jr can be beaten, but my issue is Nintendo are rewarding predictability. I can only tolerate so many matches of playing 'fetch the mecha koopa', 'roll dodge and blow him up', 'frisbee the car dash' and 'aggressive forward air his face at cannonball'.

It's like a stagnant obstacle course rather than someone trying to outsmart me. I'd rather fight an OP character than fight him.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
Welp, today's the day for the U.S. release of WooLAY-- *Cue this voice clip: <T.T. the Clock> "WhooPAY! 8D"* World, and I'll tell you right now, I will MAIN this outfit, despite the promise of an upcoming Orange Yoshi & potential other designs that MIGHT sway me from repping DHY (The Bowser Jr Amiibo's design is a STRONG candidate for co-maining, for one), just like how I mained Bandanna Dee since DAY 1 of Kirby's Return to Dreamland! 8>

The Duck's integration at the back & tail is a creatively seamless fusion! 83

<Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin!Brauner> A WEAVING of the SOUL! 8O THIS IS ART! 8D

My sentiments exactly, sir. :3

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Welp, today's the day for the U.S. release of WooLAY-- *Cue this voice clip: <T.T. the Clock> "WhooPAY! 8D"* World, and I'll tell you right now, I will MAIN this outfit, despite the promise of an upcoming Orange Yoshi & potential other designs that MIGHT sway me from repping DHY (The Bowser Jr Amiibo's design is a STRONG candidate for co-maining, for one), just like how I mained Bandanna Dee since DAY 1 of Kirby's Return to Dreamland! 8>

The Duck's integration at the back & tail is a creatively seamless fusion! 83

<Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin!Brauner> A WEAVING of the SOUL! 8O THIS IS ART! 8D

My sentiments exactly, sir. :3
I'LL MAKE YOU MY MASTERPIECE

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
YARN ART TECHNIQUE!
: (My appearance on him, along with your reaction to it, is getting me hype!)
: "Hey, what about MY outfit?"
: "And mine too."

*Skips ahead to the 03:23 mark*

: "I stand in awe."

: "Same here."

AlmostDoug

Smash Cadet
NNID
AlmostDoug
3DS FC
1048-8205-2086
lol at the salty thread aimed at FG Duck Dogs that got deleted
RIP in da Nile

Last edited:

a dog

Smash Cadet
I actually need to learn the Ganondorf - Duck Hunt matchup, want to try that sometime?
I'm not sure how we compare to each other in terms of skill but I guess we'll find that out then.
If you want to do this, please give me your NNID
Okay, sorry for this late reply! I've been really busy for the last week and a half and haven't played the game at all since the day I last posted. x__x I do think it'd be good to to practice with you, but... I kinda have to figure out how to find the NNID for this system first. (No really, I am *that* new to this game.)

lol at the salty thread aimed at FG Duck Dogs that got deleted
RIP in da Nile
Today when I tried playing SSB again, a Zero Suit Samus player started a match with me, saw that I play a dog, and immediately SD'd twice to avoid having to play me.

I had a good lol at that.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
One would think that DHD is broken, like Brawl Meta Knight broken, that people self-destruct to avoid facing DHD players.

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
One would think that DHD is broken, like Brawl Meta Knight broken, that people self-destruct to avoid facing DHD players.
It's just people who are annoyed by "projectile spam", SD and never learn the matchup, and therefore get stuck in an infinite cycle of suck.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What is the definition of projectile spam? Is it because we have to tap the B button to shoot the can?

Aviterius

Smash Cadet
What is the definition of projectile spam? Is it because we have to tap the B button to shoot the can?
I'm not sure, they just see gunmen, clay discs, and a can, and they think it's cheap projectile spam by default, I guess.

Top Bottom