• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Kokopops

Smash Rookie
Sakurai PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't add Duck Hunt Dog (be thankful I said duck) instead of Wolf and Lucas and Ice Climbers. I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THIS!!!!!!!!! I REFUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't wait for more meltdowns like this after DHD is officially revealed <3

Last edited:

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
Sakurai PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't add Duck Hunt Dog (be thankful I said duck) instead of Wolf and Lucas and Ice Climbers. I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THIS!!!!!!!!! I REFUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This would be a great place for a laughing dog gif or youtube link, but I won't do that.

Sakurai's an old hand at this. I'd trust him with his picks, knowing full well he did the best he could to include as much as he can, adding what he feels would make for an interesting and fun character to play.

I'll miss Lucas if he is indeed out because I'm actually a big fan of the Rope Snake character, but I'm more than okay with DHD. I realized recently that I've been underreacting to the idea, since Duck Hunt is actually one of my very very first experiences in gaming (and I still have my zapper, too).

Keep an open mind. You never know, this character might be fun to play if they're for real (odds are extremely good they are in). They could become your new favorite if you give them a chance.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
It's alright, we're all butthurt about somebody. I for one can't stand that Bowser Jr. made it in, but knowing you're controlling the Koopa Clown Car and can change into every other Koopaling softens the blow quite a bit... Still, there's no way I would have chosen Bowser Jr. over Dixie Kong or K. Rool. BJ and the Koopalings are lackeys, they don't have the cred that other Mario characters have, we could've easily done without them... Rosalina is cutting it close as is, but at least she's an independent character that can represent the Super Mario Galaxy games (NSMB games are perfectly fine being represented by the present cast... oh well).

Duck Hunt though? It's a bigger icon than all of them combined. More people know Duck Hunt than they do Balloon Fight or Game & Watch. It was bundled with every NES in North America for crying out loud. Of all the retro characters to choose from, Sakurai picked the one that made the most sense with Duck Hunt.

And Bandana Waddle Dee? What? Just because he's the fourth playable character in Return to Dream Land? Is that it? There's three main Kirby characters, everybody else is bottom of the barrel material, they're nowhere near the same level of importance.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Good. Cry more. Duck Hunt Dog licks your tears.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Oooohhh!!! And the ducks can swim in the pool of tears! :troll:
then you shoot the ducks and there blood mixes with the tears and we dunk all nonbelievers into the tear-blood and they gaggle on there own fear of the duck hunt dog

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
DHD dog is the only part of the leak that I like. (new series, original moveset,WTF rep, and that INFAMOUS laugh)
And cosidering that I have not played the original NES game, that's pretty sad.

I wonder what his FS will be. It'll probably use the Zapper, but what else?

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
He's not a WTF Rep, He is an NES rep like Ice Climbers and Pit. (Well Pit had like 2 gameboy games)

Game & Watch and ROB are reps of Nintendo's History.

Last edited:

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
He's not a WTF Rep, He is an NES rep like Ice Climbers and Pit. (Well Pit had like 2 gameboy games)

Game & Watch and ROB are reps of Nintendo's History.
He's both, in my opinion. I mean, come on. Who really saw him coming before the leak? The majority certainly didn't.

PlTe

Smash Journeyman
I would ask to be added on the support list, but I guess I don't have to anymore. DUCK HUNT DOOOOOOG HYYYPE

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
He's both, in my opinion. I mean, come on. Who really saw him coming before the leak? The majority certainly didn't.
So according to you a "WTF" rep is a character that is unexpected?
Ice Climbers are WTF.
ROB is WTF.
Captain Falcon is WTF.
Jigglypuff is WTF.
Snake is WTF.
Greninja is WTF.
Robin is WTF.

What's my point? Duck Hunt Dog is a serious and worthy character, Duck Hunt is one of the best selling videogames in the world. And he is obviously pretty requested with a lot of moveset potential and 2 extremely well made mods for Brawl.

4theRECORD

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2878-9708-8635
So according to you a "WTF" rep is a character that is unexpected?
Ice Climbers are WTF.
ROB is WTF.
Captain Falcon is WTF.
Jigglypuff is WTF.
Snake is WTF.
Greninja is WTF.
Robin is WTF.

What's my point? Duck Hunt Dog is a serious and worthy character, Duck Hunt is one of the best selling videogames in the world. And he is obviously pretty requested with a lot of moveset potential and 2 extremely well made mods for Brawl.
Woah, calm down. I didn't mean to say his inclusion is a stupid one, rather the opposite. One of the best so far. He's my third favorite behind Robin and Mega Man.
What I think I was trying to say was that you just never expected him. You hear the idea, think its cool, but just can't see it happening. But when you see it for real, you go "that is so WTF...and its AWESOME!" (it's what I thought of G&W and WFT, anyway)
but I can see people be offended by that term. Sorry.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Woah, calm down. I didn't mean to say his inclusion is a stupid one,
He's my third favorite behind Robin and Mega Man.
What I think I was trying to say was that you
Wow, Insulting me using cryptic messages. So mature.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
The Duck Hunt dog is the "WTF" character, he is, I'm sorry. Mr. G&W was for Melee, and R.O.B. was for Brawl. Duck Hunt dog is in likely for very similar reasons, important to Nintendo history, retro, unconventional, humorous, etc..

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I mean "WTF" is kind of a blanket term and it all comes down to opinion anyways so it's not worth arguing over.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
The term "WTF" was thrown around a lot back before we ever saw footage of Smash Bros 4, it was just a general term for the character that matched up with G&W and ROB, since after ROB, it kind of became a theme. Everybody expected it to happen again for Smash 4, and it looks like it will in the form of the Duck Hunt dog.

But after Wii Fit Trainer was announced everybody was saying "WTF" anyway, so the term quickly lost its meaning. Heh.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
The laughing taunt will be gold! Kinda makes me wish taunt battles weren't banned.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What do you think of the kind of personality DHD will have in-game? Will they anthropomorphize him like Goofy? Or will they have him act more like a sentient dog, like Pluto? I personally would like to see a mix of the two portrayals. Have DHD be on all fours for basic movements such as walking and crawling, and have him on his hind legs running, using weapons like the NES Zapper anditems in his forepaws/hands.
I have always said that Duck Hunt Dog can fit in Smash because he is a cartoon dog and not a real life puppy like Nintendog is. Duck Hunt Dog can be subjected to cartoon violence in Smash but Nintendog cannot and should not. Even the ducks in Duck Hunt are cartoony that they can be subjected to cartoon violence as well. Look at the old cartoons from the 1930s, 1940s, and 1950s.

Bugs Bunny - Foxy By Proxy
Bugs Bunny - Hare Ribbin'
Droopy Dog - Out Foxed
Goofy - Foul Hunting
Heckle and Jeckle - The Fox Hunt
Looney Tunes - A Corny Concerto
Mickey Mouse - The Moose Hunt
Mickey Mouse - The Pointer
Porky Pig - Daffy Duck Hunt
Porky Pig - Porky's Duck Hunt

Granted these are Western cartoons... and Duck Hunt is more popular in the West... who knows how Sakurai views them in Japan... I guess the dog and ducks would probably have Japanese sense of humor... I mean, they already look like the way they looked on the Famicom box art. Where's the trolling grin? I hope Sakurai includes that... that's the whole reason Duck Hunt is iconic and popular in the first place... it wasn't just because Duck Hunt was bundled with the NES (otherwise people would be talking about how memorable the World Class Track Meet athletes were)

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
If Duck Hunt (Dog) is in do you think that we will get any enemies inspired by Duck Hunt in Smash Run? Maybe some rogue ducks or even some robots (ala Subspace R.O.B. enemies) that wield the NES Zapper and/or throw clay pigeons? Also, do you think that different varients of the lightgun should be used by the fighter (if it's in his moveset)? I.E. Orange Zapper, Gray Zapper, and the slightly TOO realistic (by Nintendo standards) Famicom Wild Gunman lightgun? Also, do you think that it would be cool if the Dog got to dress up as other famous Nintendogs as his pallete swaps? Like Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon's Polterpup-inspired white costume, or something that makes him a darker brown with MOTHER 3 Boney's orange bandana?

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Well, I never had World Class Track Meet whatever its called. Most bundles of the NES included this. But no, you're right, if it wasn't for that dog and his personality we wouldn't be getting this character, so Sakurai better include that part of him.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, I never had World Class Track Meet whatever its called. Most bundles of the NES included this. But no, you're right, if it wasn't for that dog and his personality we wouldn't be getting this character, so Sakurai better include that part of him.
I had the 3-in-1 bundle... the NES Power Set with two NES controllers, one Zapper, and one Power Pad. We didn't like World Class Track Meet very much... it felt silly even to a five year old... and it didn't seem like I was going anywhere even if I was stepping on the red and blue circles. But with Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt, I could easily make progress... improve my hand-eye coordination and my aiming and timing skills.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Oh, look... I found one of my old DHD movesets here... I posted it about a month before I created this support thread! :awesome:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I have a better idea. Include all of those characters along with the Duck Hunt Dog. I want to see all of those characters coming back but there is no point in complaining about a perfectly good character getting in.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Would you guys rather have the dog use the zapper, or have an off screen hunter use the zapper to shoot opponents from the 4th wall? I would prefer the latter.
Imagine if the dog's smashes were all actually just him dodging zapper shots! It'd be awesome.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Man, I just STILL can't believe it! DHD is a PLAYABLE character for Smash! Sakurai.....................Thank you...................:sadeyes:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Think he'll get Alts of other famous Nintendogs?

Like uhhh....
no gimmie a sec...
.....Boney from MOTHER 3?

klk155

Smash Cadet
NNID
klk155
Would you guys rather have the dog use the zapper, or have an off screen hunter use the zapper to shoot opponents from the 4th wall? I would prefer the latter.
Imagine if the dog's smashes were all actually just him dodging zapper shots! It'd be awesome.
I can see the latter being his final smash , even with the white flash and all

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I hope you mean color/palette swaps.
Nah They can just use different dog breeds for Palette Swap
Chihuahua, Dachshund, Dalmatian, Labrador, Shiba