• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I find the retro Pit cute in his own way. My nickname for him is Popeye-Pit. I dunno about the recent one sometimes, feels too animu fangirl bait to me at worst.

But yes on @ DraginHikari DraginHikari saying how Ducks and Dog were portrayed in the game. I trust Sakurai to bring them in that style in even bigger and hopefully funnier scale.

Also, does anyone remember this? (Contains lots of drug use references)
Still funny today to me because it explains that crazy kill screen in Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I find the retro Pit cute in his own way. My nickname for him is Popeye-Pit. I dunno about the recent one sometimes, feels too animu fangirl bait to me at worst.

But yes on @ DraginHikari DraginHikari saying how Ducks and Dog were portrayed in the game. I trust Sakurai to bring them in that style in even bigger and hopefully funnier scale.

Also, does anyone remember this? (Contains lots of drug use references)
Still funny today to me because it explains that crazy kill screen in Duck Hunt.
Wow thanks for reminding me how bad Collegehumor is at animations.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Yeah, the same look that spawned a new series of shippings. :rolleyes:

Though I do agree with you about the modern looks for most retros (Duck Hunt Dog, Pit, ect.) being better than their older designs.
I don't think the design would have saved Pit from being shipped as the Internet ships everything. It's only a matter of time before a oddly time screenshot does the same for the DHD.

(For the love of god, I hope I am wrong about that :dizzy:)

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I don't know if this is the discussion, I haven't kept up much. But the redesign for Pit in Brawl felt more like a way to modernize the character, to recreate him as if he was never forgotten, as if he wasn't retro. And that turned out especially useful when his franchise actually was revived for Uprising.

For Ice Climber, that didn't happen, Ice Climbers were not redesigned to be modern, they were kept to look retro, that's why they were chosen. And I think that's the same thought process for the Duck Hunt dog, he's not being revived here, he's being honored here as a retro and historically significant Nintendo icon.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Everybody put a duck in your avatar to celebrate the true success.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I hope we can get Pit's retro look for an alt.costume.
He doesn't have to have the dot eyes he had in Melee, that always seemed strange to me as his NES and GB self had the whole white eyes with black irises and all.

I wonder what every retro character would look like if they gave them an Uprising look...

But I'm not worried about DHD now that I've seen his render leak. I just hope he gets a trolly smile.

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
You know what will be the worst thing that Sakurai can do with DHD? Make his laugh taunt hurt opponents.

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
You know what will be the worst thing that Sakurai can do with DHD? Make his laugh taunt hurt opponents.
Yeah they should make it like Puff's rest where the first frame is an instant(almost) kill.

EDIT: Oh and let you do it in the air ;)

Last edited:

Thermithral

Smash Journeyman
NNID
blahara
3DS FC
1375-7535-6452
Switch FC
6524 3241 3725
So, I have come to terms with this characters possible inclusion, and felt the need to ask this. Does he technically count as a playable Nintendog? Obviously he is not in those games(that I know of) but can we expect Nintendo or Sakurai not to take advantage of that pun?

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
So, I have come to terms with this characters possible inclusion, and felt the need to ask this. Does he technically count as a playable Nintendog? Obviously he is not in those games(that I know of) but can we expect Nintendo or Sakurai not to take advantage of that pun?
If anything Nintendogs might be his home stage in Classic mode.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'll need to see their move set before I make an opinion on them.

Also, does Duck Hunt have any music it could bring?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I'll need to see their move set before I make an opinion on them.

Also, does Duck Hunt have any music it could bring?
I NOW PRESENT TO YOU

THE FULL DUCK HUNT SOUNDTRACK

There would probably be a remix of the main opening tune, probably in a similar vain to Smash Bros. Crusade's remix.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I don't understand this turn of phrase. You've come to terms with this character?
When I find money on the street I don't come to terms with accepting it.

...though I sometimes feel guilty for the person who lost it. Perhaps you come to terms with this character in that you feel guilty for the lack of Isaac. OH. I get it. Tsk tsk.

Last edited:

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
What about these "Duck Hunt Remix Collab" videos on YouTube? Here's one, look it up on there to see more.
Also, I know I'm a bit late to the party but please add me to the supporter list. If the leak is true (which is what strong evidence is pointing to) then Mario will get to Duke it out with his long lost "cousin". Yes, that's what I see the dog as since I can't think of the original Super Mario Bros. without thinking of the SMB/Duck Hunt combo cart which I used to play at my grandma's house then got l actually got one Christmas when she finally found the system and everything in her closet. It's a pity that you never got to see that dog again since his cameo in SMB3 and what you got from Smash so-far is that dull-looking emotionless ducks trophey in Melee. It also might've been nice if they revived the series. They've always had the opportunity to with the Superscope, FPS-style games on N64 and GameCube (not sure how good this idea would've been), that minigame in Wii Party, AR games on 3DS, and whatever they can do with the Wii U gamepad. I guess that Duck Hunt has anyways been too obscure for a revival or at least it had been since the end if the NES days. Who knows? Maybe after Smash3DS/Wii U they might pull an Uprising/Sakurai and revive him. Or maybe they will go the Ice Climbers route and leave him and the duck as retro icons? Anyway, sorry for taking up this much space on here, just wanted to share my thoughts on the matter. Go team Duck Hunt!

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I also made this on the day of the leak.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
D

Deleted member

I saw this on Miiverse, credit to some guy who goes by Mike. It sums up my feelings about Duck Hunt Dog exactly.

Fishbowl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Fishbowl22
Man, I remember back in 2012 when I first found this thread and I was like "pfft, come on guys. That'll never happen"
I mean, I never actually said that, but I was sure thinking it when I hit the back button on my browser.

And look where we are now...
gg, dhd supporters. gg.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I just said that I will be completely ok with him if he has that laugh, it's just some strange bias I have against DHD. I for one like G&W and like ROB quite a bit. It's just that I think DHD is ridiculous
That's very odd... How is DHD more ridiculous than Mr. G&W and R.O.B.? I mean, I love them all, but comparatively speaking, the dog is a real Nintendo video game character, Mr. G&W and R.O.B. aren't.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's very odd... How is DHD more ridiculous than Mr. G&W and R.O.B.? I mean, I love them all, but comparatively speaking, the dog is a real Nintendo video game character, Mr. G&W and R.O.B. aren't.
I know they are ridiculous, but I personally think DHD would be a bit too odd personally. Then again, I want Bandana Dee. I'll only dislike DHD if he doesn't have that laugh

Usopp

Smash Apprentice
I support the heck out of this character being confirmed. I hope final smash is you playing duck hunt on your opponents.

TheSkuxxedOne

Smash Cadet
The way I see it, the Duck Hunt Dog can be some sort of unorthodox area controller. He can be partly bipedal or have a duck fly with him the whole time and can use moves from Duck Hunt and Smash Crusade in his moveset.
I made a video about it too, for anyone that's interested...

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I've been seeing all over the place that he could be a Clone of Olimar. I would hate that if he was I rather have a New and Original Moveset.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
How could DHD be a clone of Olimar or anyone? He isn't even grouped with the other clones in the leaked CSS.

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
The way I see it, the Duck Hunt Dog can be some sort of unorthodox area controller. He can be partly bipedal or have a duck fly with him the whole time and can use moves from Duck Hunt and Smash Crusade in his moveset.
I made a video about it too, for anyone that's interested...

Great move set! To avoid the insensible activist groups they could make the Duck Hunt fighter more cartoony by letting the ducks fly away after being used (ala Crusade) or just having an annoyed look n their faces after getting shot rather than looking completely dead.

And maybe in the final smash the ducks can even cause knock-back on whoever they land on while falling down. And whenever the dog pops out of the ground holding a duck he also hurts whoever collides with him with more damage and/or knockback if you shoot two ducks in a row so that he can hold up two. This FS can be a "trap and takeout" type of move by highering opponent's percentages when you shoot them, then sending them flying whenever a duck or the dog hits them.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, thinking back. I think Duck Hunt was one of the earlier game's I've played when I was a kid. I used to think the Dog was crying for me whenever I missed the Duck's. Couldn't really help that his laughter sounded more like cries to me too back then. But nowaday's I feel kinda silly for thinking that. :p

Lol ah well. Will be looking forward to the Duck Hunt Dog and the Ducks though. :p

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
How could DHD be a clone of Olimar or anyone? He isn't even grouped with the other clones in the leaked CSS.
He doesn't have the same proportions as Olimar. Can't be a clone.

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Sakurai PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't add Duck Hunt Dog (be thankful I said duck) instead of Wolf and Lucas and Ice Climbers. I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THIS!!!!!!!!! I REFUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Sakurai PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't add Duck Hunt Dog (be thankful I said duck) instead of Wolf and Lucas and Ice Climbers. I REFUSE TO ACCEPT THIS!!!!!!!!! I REFUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh wah, your characters didn't get in. Snake probably wont get in, but you wont see me crapping on a character like Bowser Jr.

Top Bottom