• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My god, the Ridley fans are getting delusional they confused the purple duck with Ridley. This is the Duck Hunt Dog thread, not the Ridley thread.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
When I first saw the majority of the leaked roster, I lurched back in disappointment over no Mewtwo. But I did love the Duck Hunt Dog on it, Duck Hunt was one of my favorite games back on the NES. So glad to see this character, not even Dark Pit can spoil the roster with him on it!

So yeah, definitely looking like a good candidate for top 5 mains along with Luigi, Little Mac, Greninja [Only if no Mewtwo], and Robin.

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
My god, the Ridley fans are getting delusional they confused the purple duck with Ridley. This is the Duck Hunt Dog thread, not the Ridley thread.
Maybe one of the alternate skins of the ducks should be Ridley. So DHD has a chance of using a mini-Ridley in battle. There.

Smash G

Smash Journeyman
Ridley's too small.

EDIT: But seriously, I'm not really concerned about Duck Hunt Dog, why does everyone want him?
Nostaglia for a lot of us.

For most copies of Super Mario Bros 1 that were out there Duck Hunt came with it. Super Mario was my first game so naturally Duck Hunt kind of was big too (played it second probably :p). Duck Hunt was a major part of my childhood and was the one Zapper game that everyone had (I don't think I ever bought another Zapper game). He's HUGE for many of us old enough to have experienced it.

Last edited:

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Hm, I seem to be the only person who likes the name "Dog and Duck" instead of the actual name. Oh well, personal preference.

Speculator

Smash Ace
"Duck Hunt" does seem a bit abstract as a name. There weren't many alternatives, though. I don't think I would have wanted to see him just called "Dog", that's way too generic for a Nintendo character.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
As for why I want the dog, it's because I've found the game fun with its light gun usage and unique controls (Though the version I've played was on a pirated controller that introduced me to tons of NES games like Ice Climber and Devil World). Also, the dog himself is the closest thing to what happens if Droopy or Scooby Doo were annoying yet likable assholes. :troll:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Just occurred to me that Duck Hunt could get the Ganandorf treatment (in other words semi-clone). Haven't really looked at Pit's moveset but if its like Brawl, then Pit is using two blades for his standard attacks, whilst Duck Hunt could use two ducks. Pit's B move is a bow, that's arrows changes direction, whilst Duck Hunt can throw a duck that changes direction. Pit's recovery is extended flight. Whilst Duck Hunt's recovery could spawn a giant duck that flys him back to the platform.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Just occurred to me that Duck Hunt could get the Ganandorf treatment (in other words semi-clone). Haven't really looked at Pit's moveset but if its like Brawl, then Pit is using two blades for his standard attacks, whilst Duck Hunt could use two ducks. Pit's B move is a bow, that's arrows changes direction, whilst Duck Hunt can throw a duck that changes direction. Pit's recovery is extended flight. Whilst Duck Hunt's recovery could spawn a giant duck that flys him back to the platform.
wat

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Dark Pit says hi!

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Was that a "wat" of man your crazy or a "wat" of oh god it could be true. I wouldn't bet on it, I doubt it will happen but it is possible.
It was a wat of "what the hell are you talking about" or "you can't be serious". I mean, sure, Duck Hunt could be a clone for some stupid reason, but a Pit clone?

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
It was a wat of "what the hell are you talking about" or "you can't be serious". I mean, sure, Duck Hunt could be a clone for some stupid reason, but a Pit clone?
Haha as I said before, I doubt it, in fact it won't happen. But it's just an idea, not a fact.
Edit: in other words don't take it seriously.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
DUCK SHIELD
UPPERDUCK ARM
DUCK BOW WITH DUCK ARROWS.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
In two weeks, we will finally see DHD in action... I can't wait for the Japanese gamers to upload DHD gameplay videos on YouTube after the game comes out.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This thread is full of [laughs], and I like [laughs].

TheRealLegit StevenSeagal

Smash Apprentice
In two weeks, we will finally see DHD in action... I can't wait for the Japanese gamers to upload DHD gameplay videos on YouTube after the game comes out.
I am thinking we will see in less than two weeks. Though i still hold hope for a trailer from Sakurai, it'd be a shame if only the rpg-anime style characters got trailers.

It's strange that Duck hunt never got anything in the previous games besides one tropy of the ducks.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I am thinking we will see in less than two weeks. Though i still hold hope for a trailer from Sakurai, it'd be a shame if only the rpg-anime style characters got trailers.

It's strange that Duck hunt never got anything in the previous games besides one tropy of the ducks.
Impa getting a trailer... :colorful:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
So we now know the starting roster, correct? If this is anything like the Dojo for Brawl, we may not see reveals for the hidden characters, Sakurai may keep them hidden until release like he did for that too (and even then, they were all still located underneath "?" icons on the site). I fear because of this, we may not get a trailer for the Duck Hunt Dog... But Brawl didn't have character trailers anyway, so I guess anything could happen.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I wonder if the Duck and Dog will play foils to each other. Duck is a snarky everyman while the Dog is goofy and trolling joker. But yeah, I'm looking forward to see how these play.

TheRealLegit StevenSeagal

Smash Apprentice
I want a trailer where bowser jr and dark pit are fighting in the air, get shot down, and the dog grabs them both by their necks while the ducks do THE laugh.

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
We'll probably see gameplay of DHD a few weeks after the release, since there's still unlocking to do.
Trust me the Japanese get crap done fast we'll probably see him a few days post Japanese launch MAX.

EDIT:
Even though the last 2 were anime action style there's only been 3 out of all these reveals the rest have been typical cartoony Nintendo characters (not counting WFT) and DHD can fall under that category.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I like how the ducks seem to be more lively and full of personality in SSB4 compared to how they were depicted in Melee.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I like how the ducks seem to be more lively and full of personality in SSB4 compared to how they were depicted in Melee.

Makes sense that they would in the case of making a character out of them. Given that even in the original Duck Hunt steps were taken to tone down the violence in the shooting game, they have the ducks kind of cartoonish expressions when hit and even had a look of annoyance when the dog was holding them by the necks. Which also plays into the dog's behavior during gameplay as well, trying to make what would normally be the random killing of water fowl seems less violent then it actually is. Neither the dogs or the ducks have much without those elements and not using those elements wouldn't representative the game they were from very well.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
My god, the ducks looked possesed, no wonder you had to shoot them.

Also i to this day prefer this pit design over what we have now, less generic.
At this point I'm so used to the Smash/Uprising version of Pit that I much prefer it to the NES model which was a pretty generic look for it's time in the 80s just as the Uprising model is for this current time.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
At this point I'm so used to the Smash/Uprising version of Pit that I much prefer it to the NES model which was a pretty generic look for it's time in the 80s just as the Uprising model is for this current time.
Yeah, the same look that spawned a new series of shippings. :rolleyes:

Though I do agree with you about the modern looks for most retros (Duck Hunt Dog, Pit, ect.) being better than their older designs.

Top Bottom