• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Spirst

Will DHD be bipedal or four-legged like Ivysaur? My inclination is towards the former but I can kind of see how the latter would work too.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Dangit man... Other than that it was perfect.
Not beyond fixing! :)

Will DHD be bipedal or four-legged like Ivysaur? My inclination is towards the former but I can kind of see how the latter would work too.
I imagine a mix, quadrapedal while running, but bipedal while standing and for some attacks.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Ah, we were discussing this not long ago.

Personally, I think it's going to be both.

When DHD enterst the screen, he's clearly in all fours.

When he grabs a duck to show it to the player, he's bipedal.

If he's like most western cartoon dogs (Spike, Scooby Doo, Astro, etc) he'll get on all fours when he runs, crawls, dash attacks, etc.. And he'll be bipedal when doing tilts and smash attacks that aren't aimed down.

Also....
He's bipedally, cursing at the player.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Fixed the icon and polished artwork.

Last edited:

Spirst

*Answers my question*
Ah, that makes sense. I wonder how the animation transition would be if he's going to continually be altering positioning from four-legged movement to bipedal attacks. I wonder if he would be fluid like majority of the cast or choppy like Wario/G&W.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
In Vs. Duck Hunt he's also seen running on his hind legs like a human, and jumping on his hind legs like a human too... I'm hoping for a mix of quadruped and biped. The leak info however sounds like he's pretty much quadruped if the duck is sitting on his back.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
In Vs. Duck Hunt he's also seen running on his hind legs like a human, and jumping on his hind legs like a human too... I'm hoping for a mix of quadruped and biped. The leak info however sounds like he's pretty much quadruped if the duck is sitting on his back.
The leak only shows him running apparently.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
There apparently exists a brief 4 second clip of DHD running that hasn't been publicly released.
This guy claims something that didn't happen, Happened!
must be legit

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Wouldn't be cool to have him in his 8bit Form.
He loses a ton of potentional with this new Real Dog form.
1. Cannot shoot a gun.
2. Cannot hold a duck.
3. Cannot punch.
4. Cannot do his original laugh pose because his body is entirely different.
5. Probably can't do that smoke-head failure pose since he can't stand up anymore.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I wanna see this damn character in action, I have always, always loved the random retro characters Sakurai has thrown in. Mr. Game and Watch and ROB both get a LOT of play time from me personally to this day, and I'm really hoping the Duck Hunt Dog and Ducks can continue that tradition. There's just so much potential in his inclusion that I can't wait to see what they do with him, I was only just turned towards his inclusion shortly before the leak, and hype for him is only increased. Not going to lie though seeing him on the CSS still made me go WTF even though I wanted him.

D

Deleted member

He loses a ton of potentional with this new Real Dog form.
1. Cannot shoot a gun.
2. Cannot hold a duck.
3. Cannot punch.
4. Cannot do his original laugh pose because his body is entirely different.
5. Probably can't do that smoke-head failure pose since he can't stand up anymore.
Oh dang it Mario can't do his jump from the original Super Mario Bros. since he has a new 3D model! :rolleyes:
Just because he dashes on all fours doesn't mean he can't do his classic moves on two legs.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
Well, I support it, unless it's been officially revealed and the site hasn't been updated...?

If DHD's been revealed, he is my new favorite classic character.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Well, I support it, unless it's been officially revealed and the site hasn't been updated...?

If DHD's been revealed, he is my new favorite classic character.
He wasn't revealed.
He was leaked.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Oh dang it Mario can't do his jump from the original Super Mario Bros. since he has a new 3D model! :rolleyes:
Just because he dashes on all fours doesn't mean he can't do his classic moves on two legs.
That would look so weird... He would have to reform his spine.

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
That would look so weird... He would have to reform his spine.
Much like Samus and Zero Suit Samus have to reform their spines whenever they roll into a ball and pose for the invisible camera, respectively. It'll be fine.

Last edited:

Zango

Smash Apprentice
I was surprised to see this thread dated back to 2012. Like seriously, I never would've imagined DHD as a character until this leak.

I suppose we never would've considered ROB before Brawl either, so kudos so Sakurai for pointing to a jar of pickles and saying "that would make me smashgasm."

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I'm fine with "Duck Hunt'. I always thought of the character as a representative of Duck Hunt as a whole, so it works out for me... Now I just hope the character actually does take everything from Duck Hunt and uses it, like the zapper, clay discs, etc..

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
I am sure the character is called "Duck Hunt" because the character involves both the dog and the duck, and not just the dog.

Vysetron

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vysetron
I have a friend who keeps insisting that DHD is going to be an Olimar reskin and use different colored ducks as Pikmin. That honestly wouldn't bother me. I like Olimar.

I'm still going to kick his ass for suggesting it.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think the ducks will just be AI controlled and assist the player.
Focusing on the last opponent you hit or that hit you...

It'll be like an mmo pet class lol.

Would be kind of interesting game play imo.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I have a friend who keeps insisting that DHD is going to be an Olimar reskin and use different colored ducks as Pikmin. That honestly wouldn't bother me. I like Olimar.

I'm still going to kick his *** for suggesting it.
The dog clearly doesn't have the same proportions as Olimar.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus

I'm still going to kick his *** for suggesting it.
I think your friend just accidentally thought the hack of Olimar as the dog was the leak... Easy mistake, search "Duck Hunt Smash Bros" in Google and it's the first couple images you see.

Sonsa

Smash Champion
Well the character is just called Duck Hunt in the japanese version. Could be renamed Duck Hunt Dog in other regions. Kinda like how in Japan Ice Climbers were named after their game, Ice Climber, even though there were two of em...?

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
I'm just curious how it'll play.
Couldn't help but noticed, you called Duck Hunt Dog it. Which makes me wonder, is Duck Hunt Dog a boy or a girl? I guess he is flamboyant, but not in a feminine way. So I'm going with him being male.

Last edited:
Top Bottom