• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

CyberWolfBia

Smash Lord
NNID
CyberWolfJV
3DS FC
0130-2511-6417
Switch FC
SW-6209-5056-9218
(I'm happy about Shulk's confirmation just for one reason XD)

I'm so happy that he's practically confirmed for Smash!; Of all the characters in my wishlist, I always faced the dog as the most unlikely choice; and after all, he's getting in! =D;

my excitement for this game is bigger than never; first Little Mac, then Pac-Man, now the original Nintendog?! =D.. this is GOTY.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Maybe the reason why the Ducks appeared in the Wii Play minigame "Shooting Gallery" was because of how controversial the dog himself was. It would have been so hilarious if he was trolling gamers in between the action when you fail to shoot a target, as well as causing some delicious tears. Such a huge missed opportunity on their part when having a Duck Hunt inspired minigame with the ducks but not "the infamous Dog" himself.
The lack of the dog is the only reason I did not buy Wii Play. It just isn't the same without the dog.

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
I am glad the dog made it. I was against him being fully playable and always thought he would make for a better assist trophy character. However that render has changed my mind. Now that he is in, there really are not that many viable nes era reps left to ever appear in smash that are not already represented in some major way. off the top of my head I can only think of danbe & hikari, Goku, Mach Rider, and Mike jones. Duck Hunt Dog and Goku seem like the coolest choices out of those guys so I think Sakurai made a good choice although I wanted Goku. I hope Duck Hunt Dog gets a trailer and I hope it comes out on the day of the Japanese launch.

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
Off topic, I do not understand why people want Goku in Smash. Goku is not even a video game character to begin with. There are other more deserving video game characters (Nintendo and third-party) to fill in the roster slots; a manga character should be the lowest priority for inclusion in an arena fighting game series that originally had a roster of Nintendo characters.

On topic, as far as theme music for DHD, there can be either an extended version of one of the Duck Hunt game jingles, or there can be an original song written for the Dog just for Smash, just as Mr. Game & Watch had an original theme written for him when he appeared in Melee.

Last edited:

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
Off topic, I do not understand why people want Goku in Smash. Goku is not even a video game character to begin with. There are other more deserving video game characters (Nintendo and third-party) to fill in the roster slots; a manga character should be the lowest priority for inclusion in an arena fighting game series that originally had a roster of Nintendo characters.

ON TOPIC: I wonder if the dog will have any taunts or victory poses were he holds the ducks by their necks. Hopefully that type of humor is not to inappropriate for this day and age.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Sakurai certainly did make the right choice with the Duck Hunt dog, but really, he made the choice we assumed he would make based on past decisions. It's not only that I like the Duck Hunt dog that I wanted him in, no, I wanted him in because, just like with Mr. G&W and R.O.B., Duck Hunt is historically significant to Nintendo, it was important to them. It's not good enough to pick an obscure retro character, or one that has a cult following of some sort like Lip or Mach Rider, it should be a character that represents something more, and Duck Hunt is certainly a Nintendo icon (along with the dog even).

It stems further than simple popularity, it's Duck Hunt's importance to history that makes the character deserving based on Sakurai's very own methods in the past. It's a train of thought that a lot of fans seem to disregard in their support for certain characters, but it proves time and time again its value.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Is this really true? Wasn't the Duck Hunt shooting game released in 1977? It was based on the Laser Clay Shooting System, but I don't think the original System actually featured any ducks. Just clay pigeons.

Anyway, even if what I presented is the case, the Duck still predates Pac-Man and Game & Watch by 3 years, assuming you consider the NES version of the "character" to be the same duck. The 1977 and 1984 designs look distinctly different. Here's the original design:

It was basically just a realistic duck design, which makes sense, as Nintendo only had to opt for a more simplified, cartoon-like design because of the limitations of the video game hardware at the time.

Anyway, I'm still very excited to see how the duck plays into this character's moveset. I'm actually more interested in using the character because of the duck than because of the dog. It was the ducks that I always remembered more than the dog, to be perfectly honest. The way they comically flew around, eyes cartoonishly popping out when shot, was entertaining, and left an imprint in my young mind when I used to play the game as a child. If memory serves, Duck Hunt was actually my first video game. My grandparents had an old NES with the Duck Hunt/SMB dual cartridge, and we'd sometimes get together as a family and play. Those darn ducks stole my imagination for the brief amount of time I'd spend playing.
Nice catch.

I still consider the two part of the same series, though, and by extension, I consider the mechanical ducks and the NES ducks the same character... Or... Group of characters. (If they're the same individuals, that can only mean you're really bad at the 1977 version.)

kaliskonig

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai certainly did make the right choice with the Duck Hunt dog, but really, he made the choice we assumed he would make based on past decisions. It's not only that I like the Duck Hunt dog that I wanted him in, no, I wanted him in because, just like with Mr. G&W and R.O.B., Duck Hunt is historically significant to Nintendo, it was important to them. It's not good enough to pick an obscure retro character, or one that has a cult following of some sort like Lip or Mach Rider, it should be a character that represents something more, and Duck Hunt is certainly a Nintendo icon (along with the dog even).

It stems further than simple popularity, it's Duck Hunt's importance to history that makes the character deserving based on Sakurai's very own methods in the past. It's a train of thought that a lot of fans seem to disregard in their support for certain characters, but it proves time and time again its value.
Couldn't agree more!

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
ON TOPIC: I wonder if the dog will have any taunts or victory poses were he holds the ducks by their necks. Hopefully that type of humor is not to inappropriate for this day and age.
Since they'd still alive when he does it this time, they'd probably look really annoyed when he does that. And it would be glorious.

And on the topic of his theme, if the game supports custom music at all (it probably won't, but still), I'll put this on the Living Room stage if he doesn't have his own.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
The ducks are always alive, look at their faces when he holds them up in the NES game, they've got that annoyed look going on, even peering back at the dog as he's holding them.

I get the feeling since he's a hidden character he won't get a stage, just as ROB didn't in Brawl... But I'm hoping something will show up in the Wii U version at least.

Staarih

Smash Master
I think I might have posted here ages ago, but now that DHD is looking very very likely, I might as well post again! I'm super excited for his inclusion, definitely one of the best retro reps out there (along with Takamaru but we know what happened with him...).

What I'm really interested in is seeing how the dog + duck(s) will play out. He'll definitely need to have his laugh in either a taunt or victory pose or something else, it's such an iconic thing haha. Speaking of victory poses, what do you think his victory theme will be? There isn't really much to choose from out of the Duck Hunt music... I'm thinking an obvious one would be the jingle after you've finished a round of shooting ducks/discs during a round (this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFEw5Xcq4uM - around the 0:41 mark). Or maybe the Game Over jingle (same video, around 06:56 mark). Remastered of course.

Last edited:

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
Okay so his taunts?

Besides the extremely obvious 8-bit laugh of derision, I can see him doing a simple challenging bark towards opponents as one of his other taunts. Another taunt is him pulling out a duck for a while before putting it away, a la Ganondorf with the sword he never uses in battle.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Okay so his taunts?

Besides the extremely obvious 8-bit laugh of derision, I can see him doing a simple challenging bark towards opponents as one of his other taunts. Another taunt is him pulling out a duck for a while before putting it away, a la Ganondorf with the sword he never uses in battle.
All taunts should just be the laugh, in my opinion. Kind of like how all of Snake's taunts involve hiding in a box.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Actually, this is the victory theme used in Duck Hunt...

But I would like the title theme to be used instead, particularly if we don't end up getting a Duck Hunt stage to hear the music in.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm hoping that the Wii U version gets the Duck Hunt stage... and that stage would play music from other NES Zapper games and Super Scope games.

Beatness

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Beatness
3DS FC
5412-9896-3151
Has anyone mentioned this yet? I mean, not that DHD needs any more hinting at after the leak.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I see a picture that made me laugh, but I also cried inside of me.

The tears, it's so beautiful. It reminds me of a poster for the Lilo & Stitch movie (with a hint of the Americans Hate Tingle poster).

People are already shipping the dog and ducks.

...I'm oddly okay with this.
Source? Is it happening on 4chan, Pixiv, or DeviantArt?

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
It's a cloud.
It's a duck. Why so much denial ?

:troll:

I still can't believe the dog is happening. Remembering being only one of the few supporters at the time, without much hope because of Takamaru. What a journey for this little guy.
And the best thing is, finally, most people seem happy about Dog being a new character and accepting all the potential he will bring to the roster.
I don't really know if he needs any more support, now that he is in. The remaining questions I suppose are ; will he have a stage on Wii U, will he walk on his all four ? How will be the bound with the ducks ?
Can't wait to use him online.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
To answer a few of your questions, apparently there is a 4 second clip of the dog running on all fours, with the duck hitching a ride on his back.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Source? Is it happening on 4chan, Pixiv, or DeviantArt?
I did some more checking. Turns out it's not widespread (yet), just a few images. (On e621, if you dare to look. Obviously NSFW.)

It will probably skyrocket after the game's out, though, like it did for Greninja when he was announced.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
To answer a few of your questions, apparently there is a 4 second clip of the dog running on all fours, with the duck hitching a ride on his back.
I really wish they leaked that clip... it would quench my thirst. But then again, not seeing the video yet would increase my surprise and hype when I see the official trailer for the first time.

Wouldn't it be awesome if DHD was like Amaterasu (Okami) where grass grows around the dog as he runs... it would allow the dog to jump in the grass and fetch ducks. I doubt it would happen since the four second clip said nothing about grass.

I just hope that Sakurai does DHD justice like he did with Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, the other two newcomers who never fought in their games. I want the laughing taunt (it's the only reason DHD is iconic), the clay pigeons (Game C needs some love too), and the NES Zapper (it's an iconic NES peripheral) to be part of DHD's moveset in addition to the ducks.

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Re: NES Zapper

I'm still really confused why the ray gun or whatever it's called wasn't a NES Zapper, to be perfectly honest.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Re: NES Zapper

I'm still really confused why the ray gun or whatever it's called wasn't a NES Zapper, to be perfectly honest.
I used to wonder why they didn't do that... but in hindsight, I'm glad they didn't do that. Look at poor Lip.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
HEY GUYS! I just made this fake leak and in about 15 minutes. Whatd'ya think?

Top Bottom