• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I mean really, when it comes to retro games, Duck Hunt is really on a league of its own. Part of the appeal of a retro character is their iconic nature and place in Nintendo history. Duck Hunt really pioneered the light gun shooter genre, which is a staple of any good arcade.

TempahRelapse

Smash Journeyman
Cloaks and sandals are cool and all, but the DHD can hit people with ducks. Ducks! It'll be hard to top that.
The only reason why I want Andy in is so I can smack the living s**** out of people with a wrench.
Wrench>Ducks

That's not to say Duck Hunt Dog isn't good, he was one of my favorites before the leak. But damn a wrench to the face!

I don't get how people are saying: ''DHD?!?!?! REALLY?!!?!''

No offense but I'm a 99% sure more people know DHD than Shulk/any FE character/Villager or Palutena.
For younger generations I think Villager is pretty significant, I think most kids know of Animal Crossing and have it (if they own a 3DS). But when it comes to retro characters and older generations Duck Hunt Dog is more significant.

Last edited:

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
Every time I go to my Grandma's house, I play Duck Hunt. It's awesome she still has an NES set up, it let's me play old games I can't on the Virtual Console. Even if I could, playing it on the NES is much better in my opinion, even if every game freezes halfway through playing it.

DarkKry4

Smash Ace
2013 in the rate their chances thread, i had given him a low chance rating and a 100% want rating

Hes probably one of the few characters i was rooting for.... but i didn't really have high expectations since i thought he'd be overlooked by the Smash team.

after seeing shulk's render, now i'm thinking, IS THIS REALLY HAPPENING!?? (maybe i'm jumping the gun too early)

Never did i think a character that i thought had no chance, would make it in. I wonder how Sakurai got the idea to put him in. I want an interview ASAP!

Duck Hunt Dog is becoming my 2nd Main no matter what.... Next to Jiggs of course.

Last edited:

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
Hello Smashboards! Veteran Smasher here since Smash 64 and new Smashboards member!

I laughed at the title of the video of the English Shulk reveal. "Looks like we don't have a choice!"

I later learned that that phrase is uttered by Shulk himself when he faces a higher-leveled enemy in Xenoblade Chronicles. It could have a double meaning seeing as Shulk is part of the leak that includes the Duck Hunt Dog, so Sakurai has no choice but to start officially revealing the characters. There is pretty much no doubt that DHD is officially in the game.

I now await DHD's official reveal. He needs to have that laugh as his taunt and/or one of his victory animations. Congratulations on your most wanted character in, Arcadenik! I've also wanted to see this puppy in since after Melee came out not only to get revenge on him for laughing at my misfortune in Duck Hunt, but to beat people up as a dog.

gamer8

Smash Lord
Congrats man, the one character I think a lot of us wouldn't have even suspected including myself and you supported him through and through. I can tell you right now I love the idea of DHD in Smash and I'll be maining him.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
It certainly looks like the odds are turned in Duck Hunt Dog's favor now that Shulk has the same artwork from that leak. Someone help me, I'm getting overexcited.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Never did i think a character that i thought had no chance, would make it in. I wonder how Sakurai got the idea to put him in. I want an interview ASAP!
Good question. I really want to know why he decided to include the Duck Hunt Dog in Smash... I mean, he's just a dog who did nothing but laugh at the player. I wonder what was his inspiration... maybe he still wanted Nintendog (he considered it for Brawl) but changed it to Duck Hunt Dog since people wouldn't mind beating up a cartoon dog and the DHD offered more options for a moveset like ducks, clay pigeons, and the NES Zapper.

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
Speaking of DHD movesets, it is quite obvious that his up B will involve him holding on to a flying duck(s), which serves as his third jump. It's been done in Smash Bros. Crusade. One move that can involve the NES Zapper can be a possible meteor smash. It would be a forward air with a fairly long start up animation and a short ranged attack (like a shotgun). Any victim hit by this attack will fall straight down, possibly utilizing the same animations as a duck being shot in Duck Hunt. Bonus points if the victim falls down at a slow speed like a shot duck. It will be the most hilarious meteor smash ever!

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
He's probably gonna be a secret.

At least we can look forward to seeing him in action in 2 weeks.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768
I'm shocked the mods haven't moved the leak characters to the "confirmed" sub-forums. Let's be honest here Shulk's artwork matches, his footage matches... Sakurai's just gonna reveal all the characters on a Pic of the day saying "Pic of the day! Some asshole on the internet leaked this, so I'm going to confirm it!"

On topic... DHD is a good choice... If you've always wanted to gun him down.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Man, I hope this guy gets a reveal trailer of his own. There's so much more room for surprise with it, even with already knowing he's in the game. Hopefully they're saving it for some American event seeing as they showed Shulk for a Japanese event, it only makes sense, Duck Hunt was most popular here anyway.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Good question. I really want to know why he decided to include the Duck Hunt Dog in Smash... I mean, he's just a dog who did nothing but laugh at the player. I wonder what was his inspiration... maybe he still wanted Nintendog (he considered it for Brawl) but changed it to Duck Hunt Dog since people wouldn't mind beating up a cartoon dog and the DHD offered more options for a moveset like ducks, clay pigeons, and the NES Zapper.
I think it's just Sakurai's sense of humour, people always forget to take that into account during speculation.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Inb4 it's Arcadenik's spamming to Sakurai that allowed DHD to find a place in the roster.

"Interviewer - Why did you choose Duck Hunt as the retro representative for this game ?

Sakurai - Well, I was looking at all the mails I received at the time was making the roster for Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS and For Wii U. One of those mails has indeed caught my eyes ; it was describing how the Dog from Duck Hunt could work. The idea was so surprising I had to make him playable.
After all, it's easier to make a Dog playable than a Dragon ! [Laughs]"

Last edited:

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
Inb4 it's Arcadenik's spamming to Sakurai that allowed DHD to find a place in the roster.

"Interviewer - Why did you choose Duck Hunt as the retro representative for this game ?

Sakurai - Well, I was looking at all the mails I received at the time was making the roster for Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS and For Wii U. One of those mails has indeed caught my eyes ; it was describing how the Dog from Duck Hunt could work. The idea was so surprising I had to make him playable.
After all, it's easier to make a Dog playable than a Dragon ! [Laughs]"
Laughed out loud at the last part. <3

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I'm shocked the mods haven't moved the leak characters to the "confirmed" sub-forums. Let's be honest here Shulk's artwork matches, his footage matches... Sakurai's just gonna reveal all the characters on a Pic of the day saying "Pic of the day! Some ******* on the internet leaked this, so I'm going to confirm it!"

On topic... DHD is a good choice... If you've always wanted to gun him down.
We can't for a few reasons. One, it's still a leak and it's not officially confirmed (and given it's me saying this considering how much my name is over this leak, that's saying something). Two, even if we did, what would you talk about? There's no footage, or even gameplay shots, it's to early for it to happen. Once the game is out, it'll happen, trust me.

TheRealLegit StevenSeagal

Smash Apprentice
He better have a reveal trailer, those trailers shouldn't just be for the pretty boy/girl anime characters!

Question would Duck Hunt dog ( Despite his cute new render) be considered a villain?? he grabs dead ducks by the neck with a big smile on his face, he laughs at you when you fail which is pretty evil.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
He better have a reveal trailer, those trailers shouldn't just be for the pretty boy/girl anime characters!

Question would Duck Hunt dog ( Despite his cute new render) be considered a villain?? he grabs dead ducks by the neck with a big smile on his face, he laughs at you when you fail which is pretty evil.
I'd say he's chaotix neutral.
The real jerk is the one in front of the screen shooting the ducks down.

...wait...

Can't wait to see that pic of DHD with Rush and Nintendogs. :)

Last edited:

Sxips

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dark_Dino
Switch FC
SW-8329-8819-7281
Out of my skype group I'm the only person who wanted this character, most of them are fine with him, but some people from my group are just going to use him as a punching bag (I can understand why 'Dog Laugh"). I feel he was the perfect choice for Retro Rep, As i feel he can bring something unique to the table.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Today's events certainly helped the position of the DHD, I'll be interested to see how it plays out.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I still wonder who Duck Hunt Dog will be paired with in the fandom knowing the shipping community. Pikachu, Fox, Rush, or Yoshi? :troll:

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
What do you think of the kind of personality DHD will have in-game? Will they anthropomorphize him like Goofy? Or will they have him act more like a sentient dog, like Pluto? I personally would like to see a mix of the two portrayals. Have DHD be on all fours for basic movements such as walking and crawling, and have him on his hind legs running, using weapons like the NES Zapper anditems in his forepaws/hands.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
What do you think of the kind of personality DHD will have in-game? Will they anthropomorphize him like Goofy? Or will they have him act more like a sentient dog, like Pluto? I personally would like to see a mix of the two portrayals. Have DHD be on all fours for basic movements such as walking and crawling, and have him on his hind legs running, using weapons like the NES Zapper anditems in his forepaws/hands.
Having him as both would make sense, also with some Courage whenever he's scared or hurt. A scream similar to the Goofy yell when Star KO'd would be utterly hilarious.

Top Bottom