• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
What do you mean dhd is confirmed playable

Todays potd seals the deal its about spectator mode and the potd matches some details on the leak pictures screens.

So DHD is playable can't wait

Eventually ITS PAY BACK TIME.
Wait... how does today's Pic of the Day confirm that the leaked pics are real?

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
It's kind of funny for me, I didn't even know I wanted this character until it became a possibility, kind of weird how these things work then again Smash Brothers has always been kind of good at doing that.

Last edited:

johno1995

Smash Cadet
It's kind of funny for me, I didn't even know I wanted this character until it became a possibility, kind of weird how these things work then again Smash Brothers has always been kind of good at doing that.
I'm the same way, dude. Same goes for when Gematsu said Chorus Kids would be in - I loved the idea of it.

ToonAdri

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Toonadri
Tomorrow is the mother aniversary,if they annunces Ness,ande the oficial art isn't the same,the leak is fake,let's hope it's real...

Opelucid

Smash Lord
NNID
JDan17
Switch FC
SW 5860 1420 7528
Tomorrow is the mother aniversary,if they annunces Ness,ande the oficial art isn't the same,the leak is fake,let's hope it's real...
It's probably real I don't know if we'll get Ness tomorrow but it would be nice.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Add me to the support list. I didn't join before because I never expected not a single second he could get a roster spot, but now with the leak he is apparently in, and I like that character, so yeah.

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
I feel the same way. The only part I really like about that leak is the fact that DHD is on there. It's worth putting Dark Pit on there if we get DHD in my opinion.

SmashKing201

Smash Journeyman
I never thought I would see the day that the 1 character I use to push soo much for, even going as far as creating a Facebook page and spamming Sakurai's Twitter, is very likely confirmed.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Real Talk : Why did Sakurai choose Duck Hunt over Takamaru, Mach Rider (if not confirmed), Prince Sablé, etc... ?
More potential, probably, the most cute of all, surely, but for what othe reasons do you think Sakurai chose him ?

In my opinion, Sakurai chose him due to his iconic game, and also the move set that probably allows to diversity, as well as the fact that... He is a Dog, dammit ! It's even more WTF than a 2D character as G&W or a toy like R.O.B. !
Well Takamaru and Prince Sable are both Region exclusive to Japan, Mach Rider was fairly obscure, the NES Zapper was (Like R.O.B.) used to make the NES seem more like a toy and less like a video game system, and if you know how Nintendo got into gaming (Through Game and Watch as well as arcade light shooting galleries) then you understand the importance of the 'zapper' peripherals being a call back to their beginnings in a way. It also helps Duck hunt was an original pack-in with the NES, one of the most iconic games of that time period, and it actually also references one of their toys featuring a laser gun and cardboard ducks. It was also in the top 3 best selling NES games- twice in the same list. It is funny how it can reference both what makes R.O.B. and Game & Watch important to Nintendo as well being their start into the video game market and what made the NES able to entice wholesalers after the video game crash (Thus making Mario the gaming giant that he is now.)

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Thank goodness he looks different from the renders and pics from the main post, now this is a really cute Duck Hunt Dog.
Really interested.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Hey guys, sorry I'm late with this....xD
I wanted to congratulate you all for getting your character confirmed the other day. I honestly DID NOT see it coming. He should be a fun and unique character in the cast, and tbh, I'm excited to see him on the scene once again. It's been far too long.

Last edited:

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
He's not confirmed yet though. We have to wait for the official word before we can start pouring the drinks for the celebration. Think of it like Meta Knight, he wasn't added until he was officially announced. (Granted we knew he was coming.)

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
But the leaked pic says "mode" while the POTD says "form".
I'm pretty sure the leaked pic is from stage select, as opposed to being informed as to what stage the replay you are about to watch is on.

Yams

Smash Journeyman
I've been thinking about it lately and, while I'm extremely happy Duck Hunt Dog is "confirmed," I'm really sad that this is how we found out. I just keep thinking how exciting and unexpected it would be to watch the Duck Hunt Dog Trailer randomly appear in a Nintendo Direct. The reveals never gave me a huge reaction, and I'm sure this one would, but the leak took that opportunity from me and It upsets me a bit.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Yeah... the only suprise newcomers were Wii Fit Trainer, Rosalina, Greninja, Robin, and Lucina. The rest were leaked. We were robbed of our hype... but at least we finally won. Now we no longer need to defend DHD from detractors over stupid arbitrary reasons why DHD cannot get in... now we can finally discuss DHD's moves and what needs to be buffed/nerfed/changed.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
DHD was always my most wanted Retro Nintendo character, besides Little Mac. He always seemed more deserving than Takamaru or Mach Rider. Duck Hunt is just too iconic.

This leak has made me a very happy camper. :)

One thing though: why not just give him a canonical name, a la Mr. G&W?

I always thought 'Hunter' would be appropriate.

Chase

Smash Ace
DHD was always my most wanted Retro Nintendo character, besides Little Mac. He always seemed more deserving than Takamaru or Mach Rider. Duck Hunt is just too iconic.

This leak has made me a very happy camper. :)

One thing though: why not just give him a canonical name, a la Mr. G&W?

I always thought 'Hunter' would be appropriate.
His canonical name is Mr. Peepers, which is what I've always called him. General Pepper from Star Fox is named after him.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
His canonical name is Mr. Peepers, which is what I've always called him. General Pepper from Star Fox is named after him.
See I've heard Mr. Peppers is his name, but I always thought it was a fan applied one.

Is it from the DH manual?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wonder if "Duck Hunt" has the hunter from the fourth wall... that's the person who's playing the NES game... and the hunter is the one doing most of the fighting by shooting at ducks and clay pigeons but the opponents just got caught in the crossfire. @ vaanrose vaanrose didn't say anything like that... just that the dog runs on all fours and uses ducks for some moves.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I wonder if "Duck Hunt" has the hunter from the fourth wall... that's the person who's playing the NES game... and the hunter is the one doing most of the fighting by shooting at ducks and clay pigeons but the opponents just got caught in the crossfire. @ vaanrose vaanrose didn't say anything like that... just that the dog runs on all fours and uses ducks for some moves.
Again, all I've been told is that the dog is a quadruped, at least during his running animation, and he has a duck that rides on his back.

But if I were to guess from that information, I think Duck Hunt's moveset is going to be very different than anything the fans have come up with. I'm not expecting to see anything that involves the Zapper or clay pigeons, and I'd guess that there will only be one duck, who will be a constant fixture of the character. They likely work together as a duo, like Banjo Kazooie.

This isn't true. It's a widely spread urban legend without a source, like the idea that the Mach Rider is female.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't think that was a real thing.

I still like Hunter. Seems appropriate. But Duck Hunt works fine for the duo.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
As long as he has the laugh, I'm okay with no zapper or clay discs, or even no swinging ducks by the neck.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
I was against this character for one I don't really know him too welland how much games does he have? But now when I think about it duck hunt dog would be very unique and fun to play. So I'm fine with it

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I was against this character for one I don't really know him too welland how much games does he have? But now when I think about it duck hunt dog would be very unique and fun to play. So I'm fine with it
One game, really, unless you count the Arcade version as separate (it did have a bonus mode, after all). But it's not so much about the number of games or appearances as it is about how important it is to Nintendo and how iconic it is to gamers. Duck Hunt was bundled with every NES back in the day, so chances are, if you had a NES, you had Duck Hunt.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
To be honest I decided to spoil myself because I had Zero hope for a character I cared about (after megaman and Little Mac) would show up. I was surprised and Ill try not to spoil myself anymore.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
That would be hilarious. Uptilt would be the duck and dog ducking to avoid the hunter's shots which shoot overhead, upthrow could be like Fox's where he fires lasers after throwing them.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
He technically doesn't have footage yet, so I can't say he's completely confirmed, but I thought I'd come in for some preemptive congratulation. It's pretty cool for you guys that this very pipe-dream sort of character made it! It'll be interesting to see how he plays!

Top Bottom