• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
What do you think of the kind of personality DHD will have in-game? Will they anthropomorphize him like Goofy? Or will they have him act more like a sentient dog, like Pluto? I personally would like to see a mix of the two portrayals. Have DHD be on all fours for basic movements such as walking and crawling, and have him on his hind legs running, using weapons like the NES Zapper anditems in his forepaws/hands.

I think it's going to be like this guy:

So, both! That's the cartoon way. :)

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
Has anyone seen the DHD character topic for Brawl on this board? smashboards.com/threads/the-official-duck-hunt-dog-thread.74586/

This topic was started back in 2006, and a lot of the comments from the naysayers in that topic are hilarious in hindsight. A lot of what was said here in Arcadenik's topic was posted in that topic six years before.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Has anyone seen the DHD character topic for Brawl on this board? smashboards.com/threads/the-official-duck-hunt-dog-thread.74586/

This topic was started back in 2006, and a lot of the comments from the naysayers in that topic are hilarious in hindsight. A lot of what was said to Arcadenik's topic was posted six years before.
My favorite post:

"You Are Fools It Is Obvious That The Laughing Dog Is Behind The Subspace Emissary !"
Source:

http://smashboards.com/threads/the-official-duck-hunt-dog-thread.74586/page-8

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I'll ship Dog and Duck together. Also I made a reveal trailer for Duck Hunt Dog

Fox is he walking in a, field when all of a sudden he hears something walking around the bushes. He ignores it for a bit until it starts to get closer. Then he draws his pistol and shoots at the area but misses. Two ducks come flying out and the bushes tremble even worse than before....when all of sudden a laugh is heard before the figure pops up!

DUCK HUNT DOG

Laughs in the Face of Danger!

Then Dog points directly at Fox, where Ducks go flying at him from the bushes attacking him then the gameplay screen rolls in.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero

Fox is he walking in a, field when all of a sudden he hears something walking around the bushes. He ignores it for a bit until it starts to get closer. Then he draws his pistol and shoots at the area but misses. Two ducks come flying out and the bushes tremble even worse than before....when all of sudden a laugh is heard before the figure pops up!

DUCK HUNT DOG

Then Dog points directly at Fox, where Ducks go flying at him from the bushes attacking him then the gameplay screen rolls in.
What if the Mii Gunner had the NES Zapper as their Weapon skin and interacted with the Duck Hunt Dog that way?

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Cartoon DHD is clearly the way to go. Sometimes he walks on all fours and barks like an actual dog. Sometimes he goes anthropomorphic and holds ducks in his front paws, or laughs at you, while standing on his hind legs, just like Rory Calhoun. As he is in Duck Hunt.

Speaking of which, I can't wait to hear the NES Duck Hunt sound effects and jingles in SSB4. They're all ingrained in my mind.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Cartoon DHD is clearly the way to go. Sometimes he walks on all fours and barks like an actual dog. Sometimes he goes anthropomorphic and holds ducks in his front paws, or laughs at you, while standing on his hind legs, just like Rory Calhoun. As he is in Duck Hunt.

Speaking of which, I can't wait to hear the NES Duck Hunt sound effects and jingles in SSB4. They're all ingrained in my mind.

So many victory theme options.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238

DUCK HUNT DOG

ALL OF MY YES!!!:4falcon:

Can't wait to hear what the trailer song will sound like... Which is why I think he's going to be a hidden character.. There IS no extended music theme for him.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I don't know why, but I hated bipedal DHD. I'm happy with the All 4s DHD.

So anyway, is Duck supposed be be an assist? Something tells me DHD will be an insanely unique character.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I don't know why, but I hated bipedal DHD. I'm happy with the All 4s DHD.

So anyway, is Duck supposed be be an assist? Something tells me DHD will be an insanely unique character.
Does seem interesting considering the leak profile for the dog includes the duck in the bottom screen profile. Not many characters have those type of details in the past expect when their is a direct relationship during play. Such in the case of Zelda/Shiek in brawl, Ice Climbers, the Pokemon Trainer's pokemon in brawl, and Rosalina/Luma.

This would suggest some kind of vary important connection between the dog and the ducks at the least.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
But DHD IS bipedal. Otherwise he wouldn't be able to stand to show us the duck he caught. :V

Suddenly this thread's become a little less busy.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
A mix sounds like it'd be the best way to use the character; he's definitely going to be on all fours at some point though because the leaked picture of him looks like he's running like a normal dog.

Firelucario

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2664-2218-5783
While I welcome the Duck Hunt Dog as a newcomer, I'm going to get really annoyed if he uses his taunt....
Other than that he would make an interesting character, I personally prefer the Excitebiker more than the dog, but hey...

BloderModer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0731-4748-9425
What do you think of the kind of personality DHD will have in-game? Will they anthropomorphize him like Goofy? Or will they have him act more like a sentient dog, like Pluto? I personally would like to see a mix of the two portrayals. Have DHD be on all fours for basic movements such as walking and crawling, and have him on his hind legs running, using weapons like the NES Zapper anditems in his forepaws/hands.
I like to think of him as a Scooby Doo-like dog. But since this is Smash, they'll probably go Donkey Kong on him and use boring animal sounds.

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
I will not be surprised if someone makes a compilation video of all the other Smash characters killing DHD as he is doing his 8-bit laugh taunt. After all, it is built up rage over the 25 years he has been laughing at us, and soon we will be able to get our revenge on him.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I like to think of him as a Scooby Doo-like dog. But since this is Smash, they'll probably go Donkey Kong on him and use boring animal sounds.
In Duck Hunt the only sounds he makes are boring animal sounds and a weird xylophone laugh.

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
So where do you think his "home" stage will be on the 3DS version?

If the stage leak is the full amount of stages he obviously doesn't have a Duck Hunt themed stage.

Edit: Thinking about it, the Living Room stage seems obvious.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
I think just sounding like a dog would work fine in this case. Other then the exaggerate expressions he's pretty much just a dog.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
So where do you think his "home" stage will be on the 3DS version?

If the stage leak is the full amount of stages he obviously doesn't have a Duck Hunt themed stage.

Edit: Thinking about it, the Living Room stage seems obvious.
There is also the Balloon Fight Stage for the retros.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Fact: If the Ducks are part of the character, that makes them the oldest character in the series, period, predating Pac-Man/G&W by seven years (and TV Color Game-15 by four).

Duck Hunt is largely based on Laser Clay Shooting System (1973), which was also made by Nintendo, and was one of their earliest attempts at an electronic game.

All-Star mode will probably clock him at 1984, though, because the dog wasn't around back then. Just the ducks.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
So... alternate colors and costumes. What would they be?

Keeping it at 6, because that's about as much as I can handle, lol

-Bluish-gray
-Green (no idea what to use here without him looking weird)
-Golden Retreiver
-Chocolate Labrador Retriever
-Completely White
-

SmashedMyMind

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1306-7449-5064
How about an alt where it's a giant duck that uses tiny dogs instead :troll:
How about I raise you one and suggest a General Pepper Alt. Hat included. personally that would do it for me. I am excited for the prospect of maining him along with Bowser and Capt. Falcon. I am a bit late to this thread due to my lurking tendancies, but i give my support for his inclusion. I am intrigued by the potential move set and Final Smash, but nevertheless I feel it will stand out, and give old school fans like myfelf a kick out of it. His Diabolical laugh will torment my opponents dreams. Mine included.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
So... alternate colors and costumes. What would they be?

Keeping it at 6, because that's about as much as I can handle, lol

-Bluish-gray
-Green (no idea what to use here without him looking weird)
-Golden Retreiver
-Chocolate Labrador Retriever
-Completely White
-
Green dog

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
I am more for having the DHD wear different hats as his alts, as indicated in the first post of this topic by Arcadenik. Changing his breed would not really make sense, because not all breeds of dog are hunting dogs.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Last edited:

IntelliHeath1

Smash Ace
Good question. I really want to know why he decided to include the Duck Hunt Dog in Smash... I mean, he's just a dog who did nothing but laugh at the player. I wonder what was his inspiration... maybe he still wanted Nintendog (he considered it for Brawl) but changed it to Duck Hunt Dog since people wouldn't mind beating up a cartoon dog and the DHD offered more options for a moveset like ducks, clay pigeons, and the NES Zapper.
Maybe I brainwashed him into bringing Duck Hunt Dog to Smash 4. :p

Here is my old post from NeoGAF thread where I confessed.

Here is my shameful smash confession right now,

After 2011, they announced Smash 3DS and Wii U, I send moderate amount of tweets to Sakurai over the time between E3 2011 to E3 2012 so I can pushing the idea of Duck Hunt Dog on Sakurai with my old twitter. (I did even included those fan art links as well) Once he implied that he's done with developer plans (and namco-bandai and Nintendo partner announcement) I just stopped tweeting for long time. I did even toss Duck Hunt Dog in my tweet to Sakurai like twice for last year as I wish him a happy birthday, and get well tweet for his injury.
Feel free to laugh at me. :p

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I did the same thing throughout 2012... I knew Sakurai was going to start working on SSB4 after Kid Icarus Uprising came out, so I spent months looking up Japanese words and designing my DHD moveset pics that's hopefully easy for him to follow and understand. After I was satisfied with my pictures, I spammed them to Sakurai's Twitter on May 2012. I stopped doing that on January 2013. I felt it was out of my hands now... the ball was in Sakurai's court. I felt that even if DHD didn't get in, at least I tried to do something to reach Sakurai instead of trying to appeal to the detractors here (why should I? They aren't making the game anyway). I'm really hoping the leak is true... that will be my ultimate payoff.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Duck Hunt Dog has always been my most wanted retro character. I just never spoke about him too much because I thought he was a pipe-dream when thinking about Takamaru.

But when Takamaru was deconfirmed, a new hope rose from the horizon. Who else was there to be a retro newcomer?
The most popular choice was gone. The next logical choice would be an iconic NES One-off character, like Ice Climbers. And with Balloon Fighter being a move for Villager, I saw a light in the distance, in the horizon.

I then shot the light, and watched it fall into the bushes. Then, a figure of hope rose from the bushes, holding the light.
I was unsure. It seemed too good to be true.

Then another hope came in the form of a 4chan picture.
It had all my favorite characters (except Ridley, Mewtwo, and K. Rool).
Bowser Jr., Shulk, and most of all, Duck Hunt Dog, looking better than ever.
But it was still too good to be true. It was probably just a fake.

Then a final burst of hope came!
Videos that looked legit! And then a newcomer whose artwork matches the leak!

IT WAS REAL!

It was not false hope!

Duck Hunt Dog will be playable in those iteration of Super Smash Bros.
I have a grin on my face just for typing that.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Fact: If the Ducks are part of the character, that makes them the oldest character in the series, period, predating Pac-Man/G&W by seven years (and TV Color Game-15 by four).

Duck Hunt is largely based on Laser Clay Shooting System (1973), which was also made by Nintendo, and was one of their earliest attempts at an electronic game.

All-Star mode will probably clock him at 1984, though, because the dog wasn't around back then. Just the ducks.
Is this really true? Wasn't the Duck Hunt shooting game released in 1977? It was based on the Laser Clay Shooting System, but I don't think the original System actually featured any ducks. Just clay pigeons.

Anyway, even if what I presented is the case, the Duck still predates Pac-Man and Game & Watch by 3 years, assuming you consider the NES version of the "character" to be the same duck. The 1977 and 1984 designs look distinctly different. Here's the original design:

It was basically just a realistic duck design, which makes sense, as Nintendo only had to opt for a more simplified, cartoon-like design because of the limitations of the video game hardware at the time.

Anyway, I'm still very excited to see how the duck plays into this character's moveset. I'm actually more interested in using the character because of the duck than because of the dog. It was the ducks that I always remembered more than the dog, to be perfectly honest. The way they comically flew around, eyes cartoonishly popping out when shot, was entertaining, and left an imprint in my young mind when I used to play the game as a child. If memory serves, Duck Hunt was actually my first video game. My grandparents had an old NES with the Duck Hunt/SMB dual cartridge, and we'd sometimes get together as a family and play. Those darn ducks stole my imagination for the brief amount of time I'd spend playing.

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I have little to no idea how DHD/Duck Hunt is going to work, but whatever it is, I'm sure it is amazing.
I have the perfect level of info right now, I get the affirmation that one of my most wanted newcomers is indeed playable, but will still get the surprise hype in the reveal.

D

Deleted member

I need this as a palette swap! Well, something like it since Micro$ copyright infringement :urg: Sakurai don't fail me!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Is this really true? Wasn't the Duck Hunt shooting game released in 1977? It was based on the Laser Clay Shooting System, but I don't think the original System actually featured any ducks. Just clay pigeons.

Anyway, even if what I presented is the case, the Duck still predates Pac-Man and Game & Watch by 3 years, assuming you consider the NES version of the "character" the same duck. The 1977 and 1984 designs look distinctly different. Here's the original design:

It was basically just a realistic duck design, which makes sense, as Nintendo only had to opt for a more simplified, cartoon-like design because of the limitations of the video game hardware at the time.

Anyway, I'm still very excited to see how the duck plays into this character's moveset. I'm actually more interested in using the character because of the duck than because of the dog. It was the ducks that I always remembered more than the dog, to be perfectly honest. The way they comically flew around, eyes comically popping out when shot, was entertaining, and left an imprint in my young mind when I used to play the game as a child. If memory serves, Duck Hunt was actually my first video game. My grandparents had an old NES with the Duck Hunt/SMB dual cartridge, and we'd sometimes get together as a family and play. Those darn ducks stole my imagination for the brief amount of time I'd spend playing.
Maybe the reason why the Ducks appeared in the Wii Play minigame "Shooting Gallery" was because of how controversial the dog himself was. It would have been so hilarious if he was trolling gamers in between the action when you fail to shoot a target, as well as causing some delicious tears. Such a huge missed opportunity on their part when having a Duck Hunt inspired minigame with the ducks but not "the infamous Dog" himself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom