• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Dog Opens a Can of Whoopass: Duck Hunt Social Thread

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I do wonder about the alt colors for the dog, well, the ducks too. I wonder if the ducks are like the Lumas in that they'll cycle through different colors (the colors from Duck Hunt, green head black body, purple head blue body, etc), or if the different colored ducks will correspond to the alt color selections alongside the dog. As for the dog, I'd like to see light brown, dark brown, black, white, spotted maybe, but I wouldn't want to see different breeds of dogs.

Marxally

Smash Apprentice
I think the leak is real and Duck Hunt will be in the game, that means a lot for Nintendo, cause it was one of the first games to come with the NES, but I cannot imagine the movesets... nevermind, add me as supporter :)!

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
Think he'll get Alts of other famous Nintendogs?

Like uhhh....
no gimmie a sec...
.....Boney from MOTHER 3?
List of Nintendo Canines (off the top of my head):
+Boney- MOTHER 3
+King- EarthBound
+Ninten's dog- MOTHER
+Polterpup- Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
+Wolf Link- Twilight Princess
+KK Slider- Animal Crossing series
+Tom Nook (he's a tanuki in Japan which is a "racoon-dog")- Animal Crossing series
+Crazy Redd (Foxes are in the canine family)- Animal Crossing series
+Basically any dog, wolf, or fox character in the Animal Crossing series. :p
+Chain Chomp- Super Mario series
+General Pepper- Star Fox series
+Fox- Star Fox series
+Wolf- Star Fox series
+Krystal- Star Fox series
+Fay- Star Fox 2 (canceled)
+You-know-who- one of the Star Fox Command endings.
+Tao- Chibi-Robo
+Every Nintendog :p
+The dog that follows you around Clock Town- Majora's Mask
+And probably many more that I can't think of right now. :/

Last edited:

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Nah They can just use different dog breeds for Palette Swap
Chihuahua, Dachshund, Dalmatian, Labrador, Shiba
Speaking of, Dunt Hunt Pup for next Nintendogs
I've never played Nintendogs, so correct me if it doesn't work like this, but I'd love to see the DHD's duck make an appearance as some kind of toy for the dog or somethin'.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Rusty from Rusty's Real Deal baseball is an awesome Nintendo dog. He's way too recent though to get anything in Smash Bros. (but imagine him running the home run contest? That's be so cool!)

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
Rusty from Rusty's Real Deal baseball is an awesome Nintendo dog. He's way too recent though to get anything in Smash Bros. (but imagine him running the home run contest? That's be so cool!)
Yeah, I can't believe I forgot about him. Even if DHD did have a recolor inspired by Rusty there's one problem:

Japanese model on the left, International model on the right....

So yeah... I don't know what they'd do about that...

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, DHD could get Rusty recolors. DHD already have Rusty's half-closed eyes.

domriver

Smash Lord
Never really thought about this particular Duo. I'm all for it. I hope the his Final Smash is the Hunter shooting the players and the Peppers goes to it and picks up the character like he does with the ducks and chucks them toward the screen. Would be very nostalgic. jejejej Making that face and that music :p

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Imagine how neat it would be to have color swaps based on different breeds of dogs and ducks. I'd love to have, for example, a palette with colors referencing the Dalmatian and Muscovy Duck.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Meh, I'd rather the breed remain intact. Not that the dog can't have spots and stay the same breed. And a spotted dog would definitely be a fun alt to have.

I'd also like to see the ducks that made it into the hack, like the yellow and white ducks.

Roxas215

Smash Lord
I really wish i was part of this thread from the beggining. Can only imagine how hype people must of been once the leak was revealed. Lmao.

Last edited:

Raiden mk-II

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4313-2377-1601
For alts, I am more for the Dog wearing different clothes (hats and capes/other upper body garments) rather than changing his breed for his alt palettes. The Dog wearing General Pepper's hat is a good idea.

ironicaplomb

Smash Rookie
+Boney- MOTHER 3
+King- EarthBound
+Ninten's dog- MOTHER
+Tom Nook (he's a tanuki in Japan which is a "racoon-dog")- Animal Crossing series
+Fox- Star Fox series
+Wolf- Star Fox series
+Tao- Chibi-Robo
This is nitpicky but foxes are vulpines, not canine. For Pokemon fans, think Vulpix.

EDIT: Though to be fair, it depends on whether you're referring to canidae, caninae or canis. Sorry, off-topic post is off-topic.

Last edited:

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
+Boney- MOTHER 3
+King- EarthBound
+Ninten's dog- MOTHER
+Fox- Star Fox series
+Wolf- Star Fox series
+Tao- Chibi-Robo
Edit: +Rusty- Rusty's Real Deal Baseball
+And many, many Pokémon...

So yeah... Any dog breed/coat, Nintendo canine, or other clothes and costumes can be Duck Hunt's recolors. The duck can just be recolored like in the Olimar hack or even given small items like monicles and tiny hats. :3

Last edited:

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
Edit: +Rusty- Rusty's Real Deal Baseball
+And many, many Pokémon...

So yeah... Any dog bed/coat, Nintendo canine, or other clothes and costumes can be Duck Hunt's recolors. The duck can just be recolored like in the Olimar hack or even given small items like monicles and tiny hats. :3
@ ironicaplomb ironicaplomb , yeah I'm not good at scientific stuff like that, but I guess you're right.

Edit: Dang, I accidentially double posted. Sorry, guys.

Last edited:

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
Can you delete posts because I keep double-posting by accident.

Edit: And, I did it again. Must be a glitch with the mobile site... Again, sorry guys.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'll be honest, I was never totally fond of the idea of Duck Hunt Dog being playable, mostly because I just didn't like how he looked...

Ugh... Sorry, but that design just strikes me as really ugly...

But seeing how cute he looks in the leaked images made me warm up to him. After that, I started thinking about how Duck Hunt Dog would be an amazing choice for a retro character. Despite being an old character, he hasn't been forgotten; on the contrary, he is a gaming icon, and gaming icons are exactly what Smash tries to bring together. Along with the fact that he represents a pretty notable game in Nintendo's history, I think he has a lot of qualities that make him an excellent choice for a retro newcomer, and a solid addition to the roster.

So, basically, I support his inclusion. He's a weird choice that actually makes perfect sense, and I like that. I look forward to seeing how he plays in the actual game.

Last edited:

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Guys you know what would be hype? If DHD gets a Banjo & Kazooie skin! With DHD having brown fur and the duck having red feathers! I would love it so much if DHD took some moveset potential from Banjo & Kazooie also! Considering it makes sense for the character itself :D

EDIT: If someone can, plz make a palette swap of this plz :)

Last edited:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Guys you know what would be hype? If DHD gets a Banjo & Kazooie skin! With DHD having brown fur and the duck having red feathers! I would love it so much if DHD took some moveset potential from Banjo & Kazooie also! Considering it makes sense for the character itself :D

I know, I'd love this too! Maybe the dog's f air could be kazooie's triple peck attack!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Project M team is on the edge of their seats waiting to make this.

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Angry Cuccos vs The Ducks - Who Wins?

I'm not sure how I feel about DHD as a playable character. What would his moveset even be?

Last edited:

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
Speaking of Banjo-Kazooie does anyone think that the Duck Hunt duo could possibly replace Banjo and Kazooie as 3D platformer collecting game heroes? You could collect eggs or some similar item instead of puzzle pieces (Jiggies) and collect upgrades for your zapper. Player one can control the dog and his feathered buddy and also can "zoom-out" and use the zapper as a weapon and environmental tool (shoot switches, blow-up builders, etc) from the hunter's point of view. Other players can also use their Wiimotes as zappers to assist the main player ala Super Mario Galaxy's co-star mode. To keep the game cartoony (and to make it a little more unique/interesting) the gun only "zaps" or stuns ducks for you to round them up and help you out. Maybe you can also control the flock of collected ducks by drawing paths for them on the gamepad. Any thoughts?

zlCfzSajk0ApAc1tmC.png

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Speaking of Banjo-Kazooie does anyone think that the Duck Hunt duo could possibly replace Banjo and Kazooie as 3D platformer collecting game heroes? You could collect eggs or some similar item instead of puzzle pieces (Jiggies) and collect upgrades for your zapper. Player one can control the dog and his feathered buddy and also can "zoom-out" and use the zapper as a weapon and environmental tool (shoot switches, blow-up builders, etc) from the hunter's point of view. Other players can also use their Wiimotes as zappers to assist the main player ala Super Mario Galaxy's co-star mode. To keep the game cartoony (and to make it a little more unique/interesting) the gun only "zaps" or stuns ducks for you to round them up and help you out. Maybe you can also control the flock of collected ducks by drawing paths for them on the gamepad. Any thoughts?

View attachment 24532
Wow! That's a pretty good idea! Who knows? Maybe DHD and the ducks could replace Banjo and Kazooie as thier "wacky, 3-D platformer characters" for the Wii U whereas B&K were for N64!

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
Wow! That's a pretty good idea! Who knows? Maybe DHD and the ducks could replace Banjo and Kazooie as thier "wacky, 3-D platformer characters" for the Wii U whereas B&K were for N64!
Thanks, I'm glad you like my idea, it means a lot to me! Yeah, I'm a retro player/collector and my goal in life is to become a graphic/concept artist for either Nintendo or one of its subsidiary companies (I.E. Retro Studios). If I move up to doing some game directing then reviving the Banjo-Kazooie-style genre and bringing back Duck Hunt are some of the projects I'd like to do. But I'm just in highschool as of now so hopefully we'll get to see something like that before then.

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I'll give Retro Studios the heads up on the Duck and Dog Duck Hunt 3D platformer idea, wink, wink!

(fun idea too, I don't expect their series to be revived, I see them more as an Ice Climbers sort of addition, just retro characters for the sake of being retro... Still though, I'd dig a 3D platformer with them).

Last edited:

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
I'll give Retro Studios the heads up on the Duck and Dog Duck Hunt 3D platformer idea, wink, wink!

(fun idea too, I don't expect their series to be revived, I see them more as an Ice Climbers sort of addition, just retro characters for the sake of being retro... Still though, I'd dig a 3D platformer with them).
Haha, yes! Yeah, they're just ideas as of right now... But you know what they say about dreaming big. Anyway, only time will tell and we have Smash Bros to pass that time. So... here's to passing that time with Duck Hunt Dog (and Duck if the leak is true) in the next Smash Bros games!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Thanks, I'm glad you like my idea, it means a lot to me! Yeah, I'm a retro player/collector and my goal in life is to become a graphic/concept artist for either Nintendo or one of its subsidiary companies (I.E. Retro Studios). If I move up to doing some game directing then reviving the Banjo-Kazooie-style genre and bringing back Duck Hunt are some of the projects I'd like to do. But I'm just in highschool as of now so hopefully we'll get to see something like that before then.
Well, Good luck to you and your dreams! You know, I really can see DHD and Ducks having a game similar to Banjo and Kazooie! Ducks helping him fly, the Dog digging looking for various hidden treasure!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hey Your Photobucket Images Aren't Working
I know.

Ever since Duck Hunt Dog was leaked, this thread saw an increase of traffic... and apparently, people are hotlinking my pics here on other websites... and so now my pics don't have enough bandwidth and I'm not a paying member of Photobucket... that's why my pics aren't working.

But that's fine with me. I made those pics to show people that with enough creativity, even you can make a moveset for Duck Hunt Dog... and I spammed the pics to Sakurai's Twitter... so if the leaks are true, then my pics fulfilled their purpose... and I no longer need my pics. Duck Hunt Dog is finally a newcomer. I got my wish. My goal is accomplished.

SmashWarrior202

Smash Cadet
NNID
Smashmatt202
3DS FC
1633-4497-7356
You know, if you had asked me before the roster leak if the Duck Hunt Dog was going to be a playable character, I'd have scoffed the idea. At most, I thought he would be better set as an Assist Trophy, just mocking whoever summons him with his laugh. Or a regular Trophy, they had Ducks as a trophy in Melee but not him strangely enough...

But after I saw the leak... AND saw that ducks would be assisting him in fighting, I did a complete 180! Like, I wasn't upset or angry at all, as soon as I saw the picture of him, I was all like "EFF YEAH, FREAKING BRILLIANT IDEA!!!" I mean, he IS an iconic character, and if the ducks are assisting him, it totally adds more to the moveset then just him by himself!

So yeah, totally on the DHD train now, really glad to see that he's (very possibly) playable!

...Although he's missing the spot (whiskers, maybe?) on his muzzle/jowls... What's up with that?

WVdUde

Smash Apprentice
Everybody go on gonintendo.com right now to see footage and pictures (can't link them here from my phone) of the recently released Japanese eShop demo of Smash 3DS.... Try to note what aspects match up to the leak. Right off the bat I noticed that we are getting that Pictochat stage returning from Brawl as shown in the leak. I'll have to rewatch the beginning to see if the roster and stage selection is laid out like or set least similarly in the ESRB build (may not be since this is basically the final build and that was an earlier version) and other details like that. Duck Hunt hype!!!!

Hopefully they will soon announce a downloadable demo for us too. A perfect time would be at the Treehouse Live event coming this Friday. Fingers crossed!

Oh, and I'm going to bed for the night so I'll see you guys tomorrow! I'll be sure to read up on what you all find!

And @ smashkirby smashkirby , thanks man!

Last edited:
Top Bottom