• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

Vox the Fox

Smash Cadet
Hey Taj, since I know you have vague questions, I'll try to make this...only mildly excruciating?

Basically what I want to know is: how do you play Mewtwo? (Yes, I should be slapped for asking that and I will gladly slap myself if you see it as appropriate.) What I guess I want to know is what you would say are the three most important, M2 specific skills I should practice/learn (or two, or one) to help up my game. I'm pretty new with M2 and I really enjoy playing him due to the complete dissimilarity to any other character in the game, but as of right now, I have trouble beating pretty much anyone of my friends with him, even the ones who aren't particularly good. I've been reading through this thread quite a bit and most of the stuff in here is sort of going over my head for now, but I'm hoping that will happen less as I progress with M2.

So yeah, any sort of general (vague as **** is fine with me) advice, or a couple specifics as to what's...most important, tech-wise would be hugely appreciated. I know that reading DI and spacing and mindgames are hugely important when playing M2, but those, I assume, just come with time and with lots of practice against humans.

Thank you!

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
So Taj, I used to play Mewtwo a really long while ago. Like, 2004, 2005, long before I got into competitive Smash at all.

What's the best things to work on, tech-skill wise, to get my Mewtwo to a semi-competent level? I've got the DJC down, but that's pretty much it.

Where should I be aiming to sweetspot the ledge with teleport?

Also, is Marth really a completely hopeless MU?

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
hi kline aka khaos mewthree ascended etc etc what uppp

also mvc3 is going great - i've made more money than i've spent on mvc which is nice - we'll see how the summer goes now that the competition is tougher in seattle! i was in a small town with only a few strong players

<3

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
lol thats whats up. it was tight seeing you and the bowser again. im telling you man, you could make a come back.

also ill be ready for u in mvc3 next time (Lol)

:phone:

Roysourboy666

Smash Apprentice
Hi there, interesting thread ! :p
I love mewtwo stuff, and thx to every mewtwo in the world for, er playing mewtwo! :p
Ive known melee since it came out but I remember my first main was Link and secondary Mewtwo, so,
like, I love Roy now, as much as I NOW love mewtwo ! :p
TAJ your my idol ! LOL :p
but enough now. Im here cuz, Im practicing my mewtwo skillz, and was wondering if, you could like, spam f-air to death. When I said spam I mean, like, djc f-air, and upon landing another f-air as you re-jump, and after a dj f-air, and so on . Anyway Im just practicing against cpus... :S
so any advice?

(Mewtwo's grunt is more powerful than ganon)

SDC

Smash Lord
I've noticed that on the last frame of mewtwo's nair, the massive, expansive, knockback hitbox is produced. Now when I djc-nair-L-cancel-on-the-ground people, they react as if they have been hit by this hitbox. I was just curious, do you know if this hitbox does come out when you djc nair l cancel on the ground? If so then awesome, and how useful is this?

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
I see taj do it, but I don't fully understand why. Once you start Nair-ing your opponent, if they get hit you might as well wait for the full attack, and if you hit their shield, it's not like they can punish you OoS until you land anyway. I suppose it's a nice quick attack OoS, and hits in front of you a good bit, unlike Fair. Is there some reason I'm missing?

Also, how do you use side-B and down-B?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
u induce that larger knock back on the last frame or when u land while nair is active.

djc aerials are usually too slew to punish alot of situations. but they can be used occasionally.

rapid djc of the neutral air is to let your opponent know u are a bad *** and keeps your tech and flow going.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Indeed, usually when you see me DJC neutral air,my opponent and I are usually back to back in some situation. They crossed up my shield, landed behind me, and I want to either punish them and get position advantage or lock them in their shield and go for a link into grab or get them to roll.

Side B is best used sparingly and never tell them that they can punish it, lol. We gotta keep our technology secret. Usually it's really strong against people that keep trying to pressure you and hop away. It's really good at chasing Falcos trying to SHL away from you or approaching you with high lasers.

Basically, you use it when you're certain the opponent is going to try to do a safe approach but they know you don't have anything in front of you and you reach them with it. You can also occasionally use it as a cover against aggressive spacies when you know they're going to try and invade your space. It hits pretty high, so it's really good at shutting down SHFFL approaches occasionally. (It has grab priority so it doesn't trade)

I tend to use Down B as a counter to telegraphed approaches or as a super narrow spacing tool. I usually try to bait out an attack and do a quick hop and retreating/advancing down B depending on the situation. I also like to show them my shield and when I recognize they're going to try and come in for grabs, throw it out of shield to deny their approach.

Down and Forward B are both pretty worthless moves that are only decent at throwing people off, because of their strange mechanics. If anyone gets accustomed to getting hit by them, you'll almost always get punished for even LANDING these laggy moves.

Mewtwo is hard to play, but he's fun when you get the ball rolling.

onionchowder

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I've noticed that my mewtwo games tend to consist of me getting off and taking stocks w/o damage, or getting wrecked and losing a stock without doing much.

How do you edgeguard with Mewtwo? I mostly use Bair and Nair, but Nair only seems to knock them the right way (if at all) some of the time; should I be aiming the Nair to hit them into the stage or away? Also, can Mewtwo Dsmash/tilt the ledge like Marth or Falco, or does the hitbox not extend that far?

Brookman

Smash Hero
mew2 needs wavedashing to have any semblance of speed. If you can't handle this notion then you need to either quit mew2 or quit this game altogether

JoFTWin

Smash Apprentice
Where the wild things are, by way of Georgia.
Taj, when you first started out maining Mewtwo, did you strictly play as Mewtwo for a while so that his play style stuck with you quicker or did you still switch between other mains? I know you main as Marth now too, but I'd imagine that playing Mewtwo is like riding a bike to you now so you can afford to main someone else without it feeling awkward.

Reason I ask is because Mewtwo is such a unique character to learn that I find it difficult trying to switch between my secondary sometimes (Mario). Should I play as strictly Mewtwo for a while until I feel completely comfortable playing as him? or should I still try to work on my secondary at the same time?

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
When I first unlocked Mewtwo, I played him a lot. I just kinda played him for fun, though. I didn't actually start "developing" my Mewtwo until about 2005, and I started sitting in the lab working on tech skill.

Yeah, Mewtwo is basically like riding a bike for me. I don't really need to practice that much with him at all to do what I want. It would help playing a Mewtwo for a while until everything becomes second nature, then alternating between your Mewtwo and Mario in friendlies.

I play a lot of characters in friendlies, so I have no problem jumping between characters every match.

Brookman

Smash Hero
How to play mewtwo, The Brookman Method:

Step 1: Take a ****.
Step 2: Look at it.
step 3: Look at mewtwo, if they look the same proceed to step %.
step 4: don't play mewtwo.
step %: See a doctor.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
How to play mewtwo, The Brookman Method:

Step 1: Take a ****.
Step 2: Look at it.
step 3: Look at mewtwo, if they look the same proceed to step %.
step 4: don't play mewtwo.
step %: See a doctor.
Oh god.
brbcalling911.
-DD

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Tilts and grabs are definitely M2's bread and butter. DJCs are pretty and good for extending combos (djc up air being the most important imo), but master the basics from wavedashing and spacing tilts. Down tilt, forward air, then up air is a pretty universal combo/link.

KingClubber

Smash Ace
In a dark underground base in the middle of L.A
That will be pretty cool. But the trailer for SC3 looked so awesome.

I'm starting to see some of my flaws already, but i'm not going to start listing for help until i've had a total of 24 hours of play time with him, and i'll use video's here for reference. So talk you guys again in about 2 weeks to report my progress, feel free to PM me if you have any tips on my training.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Spamming Teleport is really fun but it makes my fingers really sore, does it go away with practice?

Top Bottom