• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Taj is the best Mewtwo (Ask Taj Stuff Thread)

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Once again I return to Mewtwo.

For Up-B sweetspotting, can we sweetspot the ledge in like... this sort of situation:

Ledge
|
V
O--------Battlefield
........O <--- Mewtwo

.s used instead of blank space since smashboards hates me.

I've never been able to do it, and don't recall ever seeing it done, but figured I'd ask, since recovering is what I've been focusing on improving lately.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
That's great, I'll "accidentlly" crash the game when I'm getting 8 stocked in doubles.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
The thing is though, someone has to Z-catch one of the spheres.

So if you know your opponent inputs their aerials with Z (like I do :/ ) throw out that FThrow, maybe they'll catch one and since THEY crashed the game they're the ones at fault.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Once again I return to Mewtwo.

For Up-B sweetspotting, can we sweetspot the ledge in like... this sort of situation:

Ledge
|
V
O--------Battlefield
........O <--- Mewtwo

.s used instead of blank space since smashboards hates me.

I've never been able to do it, and don't recall ever seeing it done, but figured I'd ask, since recovering is what I've been focusing on improving lately.
No, you can't sweet spot anywhere from underneath the stage. The best thing you can do in that situation is prepare to ledge tech.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
aww how sweet lol.

yo I need some advice. I got scraped my last
set with eggz. I was trying to avoid throwing up my shield but he kept floating neutrals into my WDs. it felt like he just exploited m2's flaws, but I was a lil out of it so I wasn't sure if it was just me ****ing up or did he play that MU really well. I kinda was the aggressor because he made it clear he was gonna laser me until I came over there. I wanted to shield but I was afraid of just getting up throw upaired, resulting in shorter stocks lol. throw some **** at me taj?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNVnry-RxTM

the set is up on pacwest.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i dk man, you looked too aggro in the first game. There were several times where you should've backed off and you didn't, you're only gonna take ~9 or so percent each time he runs around you shooting the gun, which does give you a chance to bait something. The first combo was delicious and your mewtwo has super smooth movement, so it doesn't surprise me that every kill you got was when you baited him into something rather then just attacking. He was indeed using nair + fox shenanagins to cut off your wavedashes, which is one of the things i hate about fox lol. Also rolling towards the edge against fox = bad -.-

As for the second game he just outplayed you. I'm curious about to your stage choice, if he was camping so hard why take him there? I would've considered FoD or BF personally. Teleport isn't as safe an escape as it should be, i complianed about it for a while before i more or less dropped mewtwo. You weren't screwing them up, he was just catching you before you could get moving again something that frustrated me a ton all the time. Also it def looked to me like you were trying to strike out of the hits rather than DI out of them, you took a ton of damage that way (i know what it looks like 'cause i do it sometimes and it costs dearly)

also WTF @ the ending O_o

not Taj quality i know, and i half expect people to come out of the woodwork (or for you or taj to come back) and say i don't know what i'm talking about but whatever, just my $0.02

:phone:

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
na, its coo. im always willing to listen whether I agree or not, lol unless somebody is just unreasonably stupid.

as far as going aggro, yea I felt like I was doing too much, but I felt that if I backed off then so would he. I probably should have taken my chances with the lasers. I went dl cuz I like it, but also I thought I could use a bit more space, and the higher ceiling. but I was trying to kinda get him to come at me but I just didn't believe he would. I actually just wasn't feeling fod at the time.

I guess next time ill just deal with the lasers.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Hmmmmm just something noticeable I saw was that you were up+b'ing onto the stage too often. I think you should've sweetspotted the edge more, cuz I think you were getting caught quite a bit when you were going onto the stage.

I'm not exactly a M2 main so I can't give that great of advice lol ^^

<3 Kaostar :)

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Axe is the best M2. Also, you can't keep letting himm bully you with his nair. Do more small WDs forward and back to mess up his spacing and land shield grabs and/or punish him on landing.

That one reflected shadow ball was really awkward though, lol. I'll try to give you a more in-depth analysis when I get home.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
thanks guys. :)

yea, I think my problem started when I just went hella aggro thinking I was just about to get camped to death. I def should have been more patient.

and I look forward to reading your response.

yea I was pretty mad about that shadow ball. I spaced it so I had time to shield if he reflected it, I saw it go by then I approached and ate it. but I figure its done some crazier things in my favor so its coo.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Wondering just how useful NAir OoS is in general. I generally Up-B to get the hell away from shield pressure, or grab if I can manage, but I'm just thinking NAir might have some use to get out of pressure. Maybe a DJC NAir to something else?

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
what character's sheild pressure are you talking about?

Nair OoS is indeed a good surprise tactic if you can time it correctly, and WD OoS into a dtilt is generally a good idea, and ftilt is underrated imo (but inferior to the dtilt make no mistake lol) and of course you're mewtwo, landing a grab = good lol. Just gotta mix it up and keep in mind that a good player will abuse you for shielding too much.

And actually i think that you should be able to teleport out of combos and sheild pressure since that's one of the selling points of the damned move in the first place. But you can't do it safely... :urg: too late for it to be patched but it's mad dumb -_-

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Mostly low tiers... like Young Link and such :/ I've been able to escape NAir -> BAir -> UTilt before the UTilt.

No character that would ever really matter.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
You all underestimate back throw

that's all I'll say
it works really well vs noobs. u get away with **** cuz ur m2k.

back throw really only sets people up to be above and behind m2. what u can do from that position depends on MU, percent, and your skill.

vs most people they are high enough to easily recover, but if u are skilled u can apply pressure and force a mistake.

but back throw itself is just aight in most cases. imo anyway. I still use it hella, especially vs fast fallers, marth, sheik and characters with poor horizontal control in their up b's.

ShadowSpear

Smash Apprentice
YO, ATTENTION TAJ, KAOSTAR, AND ALL FELLOW MEWTWO PLAYERS!

You've got to listen 2 this super, fresh and insane Mewtwo Beat i've Personally requested from DJ SonicFreak awhile back. He just made it, because he saw my old vids on Youtube of me (Power2DaPlayers0904) training a bit with my mewtwo by myself. This Beat really motivates me to continue to go all out with Mewtwo and to Represent with my favorite Pokemon in SSBM!

Here's the Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3tRQMzZ2Hk&feature=related
This Sh*t goes hard!

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
that's... an interesting beat lol.

So this past sunday i spent close to 2 hours playing mewtwo against my rival's spacies and marth (the longest amount of time i've spent on the character in a long time, not counting goofing around in friendlies and trying to throw people off in the occasional tournament match) and we were discussing possible improvments that could've been made to boost the character's potentail without overpowering him. Here's what we agreed on.

1: teleport should not take 8 frames to have active invulnerability frames. Cut that in half to 4 frames.

2: should be at least samus's weight, floatiness should remain the same

3: remove at least one of the hurtboxes on his tail

4: change the properties of disable and confusion (taj has covered this several times and we both fully agree with his opinions, such as confusion REflecting projectiles and forcing opponents to tech when you catch them in it on the ground, and disable being able to sheild stab)

5: give the fully charged Shadowball a longer range

6: boost the knockback on the dair slightly

7: increase usmash and dsmash's damage output by at least 5%

8: mewtwo's fsmash already has a tipper with the exact same damage output as marth's percentwise. Now give the sweet spot similar payoff (ie knockback) to marth's - a dependable kill move

beating a dead horse i know, but i like all of the above, with these alterations mewtwo would be much more formidable (fitting the character better)

even so, i had a blast playing mewtwo again lol :D

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
Those are all good improvements to make him Pikachu-ish tier. Still a niche character, but has the options to toe-to-toe every character with good calls.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
it's not enough since i personally think that mewtwo should've been the best character in the game casually and at least high tier competitivly.... but those are alterations that you could easily make if you could hack the game like you could brawl...

and they seem so intuitive that i often wonder what sakurai was smoking when it came time to balance mewtwo lol.

Wavedash into a powerful tippered fsmash with mewtwo would be sooooooo good, esp considering that as it is now it's got a huge hit box and can even knock peach out of her dsmash lol.

anyways, i was reminded about how good mewtwo's uair is, all his tail attacks should have a sweetspot like that... Well i can wish can't i? XD

and what do you think is the best option after uthrow - fair - regrab - uthrow - uair - regrab on spacies? I usually tend to dthrow for a possible tech chase to keep them in my control. Are there better options i'm unaware of?

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Actually as far as I know you can hex edit Melee to a certain degree. Like changing properties of hitboxes and such.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
depends on stage position. I usually d throw, but occasionally I up throw.

its possible to up throw regrab, up throw fair regrab, up throw u air regrab. not that reliable, mainly its hard to get that first regrab.

I would like m2 to have a fox or falco speed jump. and maybe a faster dash. I really like the teleport at 4 frames. it means choose between low start up oos or low ending lag. D smash since it hits in 1 direction should have either more KB or damage...or just twice the range or make it hit both sides like a energy burst. remove a tail hurt box, f smash should be like marth. I would love if sb could be edge canceled or something. the range is fine. disable should have double range, confusion should reflect projectiles and at minimum allow u to shield as they can jump out. imo its a broken move if they are forced to tech, well maybe not broken but kinda cheap. imo I think while sb is charged m2 should do like 3 more damage per hit lol. jab is ok with high startup, but it should have low ending lag. down air should be a spike.

thats pretty much my ideal m2, or allow m2 to do 1 action after his teleport and then go into special fall.<3 one day im gonna hack m2 to be boss lol.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
i would literally play a hacked melee with a beast mewtwo and never play regular melee again lol D=

even just getting rid of the tail hurtboxes would help...

I don't mind there being startup on the teleport, it just shouldn't be so easy to hit him out of it... -_-

i actually have two good spacie players to spar against now and have for the entire summer thusfar... well, actually von used to be an mlg player and got top 16 @ MLG Anehiem just got back into it and is shaking off the rust but still...

I've found that uthrow to straight regrab doesn't work if they know they can jump out of it. Uthrow to fair is still the most garunteed thing unless you mistime it.

Yeah lol, confusion forcing a tech would be sorta broken, the shield option sounds better to me.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
i would literally play a hacked melee with a beast mewtwo and never play regular melee again lol D=

even just getting rid of the tail hurtboxes would help...

I don't mind there being startup on the teleport, it just shouldn't be so easy to hit him out of it... -_-

i actually have two good spacie players to spar against now and have for the entire summer thusfar... well, actually von used to be an mlg player and got top 16 @ MLG Anehiem just got back into it and is shaking off the rust but still...

I've found that uthrow to straight regrab doesn't work if they know they can jump out of it. Uthrow to fair is still the most garunteed thing unless you mistime it.

Yeah lol, confusion forcing a tech would be sorta broken, the shield option sounds better to me.

I'm actually trying to work on a hacked Melee, just for fun.

Also an idea for a compromise on teleport: same 8 frame startup, just the latter half is invincible. So 4 frame startup but I don't have to figure out animation stuff because I'm lazy.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
ehhh, id rather have something usable. being invincible means u don't get punished for things u shouldn't get punished for. it doesn't make mewtwo better really.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
so the crew and i were having a hilariously good time play FFA with the items on, playing on nothing but banned stages, and i played mewtwo the entire time due to his item prowess (okay i played yoshi once or twice for teh randomz). Anyways i got to show them a few things i thought everyone knew but i guess they didn't despite all of them having played for years.

Mewtwo makes no sound when moving on Flat Zone, not when he's walking, jumping, wavedashing or whatever.

and when mewtwo confusions a bob-omb back at the player that sent it, it can in fact hit them :D

Castrate

Smash Rookie
Hello, so I watched all of the shadowclaws (like twelve times), and I just wanted to ask some noobie questions:

You are so quick to edgehog, and you can even do it quickly enough to gimp with a backair afterwards... how do you grab the ledge so quickly? I feel like since M2 can grab the ledge with a teleport towards the direction, you just wavedash off of the map and teleport to the ledge. Am I correct? Is it just the timing?

Next, with your combos beginning from the d tilt, do you have to worry about your spacing for the next attack? I mean... do you dtilt them into you, or do you have to chase them to proceed with a combo?

Also... With your bairs, I was checking out the hitboxes, and is it really that important to hit them with the first "whip" of the tail? Because I know that the tail is a disjointed hitbox, so... for gimping, I feel like it's just as effective to just hit them with the bair.

Sorry for my noobyness...

Lastly, are you going to that Low-Tier tournament in Tucson in April? I hear you're from AZ.

Thank you so much, by the way.

Top Bottom