• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
You guys are havin' fun with Cloud? Sweet. I'm hype for Corrin later down the line.
I'm just sitting here with no cash nor code, as usual
RIP muh Cloud :drshrug:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just gonna leave this here:

Well people, i think my time here is over. After lurking for 3 years, after participating in this wacky rollercoaster ride known as Speculation, it all ends here.

My purpose of beign here is gone. It's time to move on, but regardless, i will never forget all the moments i had here.
It's funny to think that only 4 of my most wanted characters got in, but im not mad. To be honest, Smash 4 was the game that i followed closely. I remember looking for every single pic of the day, i remember beign hyped for E3 just for Smash and i remember the hype for the 50-fact extravaganza.

Smash 4 is the first game in which i actually waited, that i anticipated for since 2011. It didn't end the way i expected it to be, but that's okay, because i think the game is great the way it is. Beign angry will make me look bad, and im thankfull of what this game offered me.

Do i think the game is perfect? Absolutley not, but it's still lots of fun. A roster of 58 characters is nothing to sneeze at. From classic characters like Pac-Man and Mega Man to more conteporary faces like Corrin or Shulk, it is indeed a dream match come true.

Not every single character that i wanted made it in. In fact only 5 that i wanted (:4feroy::4megaman::4mewtwo::4lucas::4littlemac:) made into the roster. However, i still appreciate what i got. Corrin's awesome, Bayonetta's awesome, Cloud's awesome, and so on and so on.

I will never forget all the users i met during this time, from Swampasaur to Chronobound to BKupa666 to Wintropy to Frostwraith, etc.....

It's been something special for me. I didn't get everything that i wanted, but i never expected that. I got what i needed, and what i needed was something that i could do while waiting for Smash 4's release and it's DLC.

Will i return when a hypothetical Smash 5 gets announced? Maybe, but i have different plans for now.

Thank you people, and thank you Sakurai.

-Speedwa-you know what, just call me Branko :).

Yeah i know, im begin a little too dramatic, but this was something really special for me.

finalark

SNORLAX
Everyone calling "Sakurai bias" on Corrin's inclusion should consider that a Nintendo exec might have requested his addition to boost Fates sales.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Does anyone know how to upload replays. Got a sexy kill I wanna share.

finalark

SNORLAX
Just gonna leave this here:

Well people, i think my time here is over. After lurking for 3 years, after participating in this wacky rollercoaster ride known as Speculation, it all ends here.

My purpose of beign here is gone. It's time to move on, but regardless, i will never forget all the moments i had here.
It's funny to think that only 4 of my most wanted characters got in, but im not mad. To be honest, Smash 4 was the game that i followed closely. I remember looking for every single pic of the day, i remember beign hyped for E3 just for Smash and i remember the hype for the 50-fact extravaganza.

Smash 4 is the first game in which i actually waited, that i anticipated for since 2011. It didn't end the way i expected it to be, but that's okay, because i think the game is great the way it is. Beign angry will make me look bad, and im thankfull of what this game offered me.

Do i think the game is perfect? Absolutley not, but it's still lots of fun. A roster of 58 characters is nothing to sneeze at. From classic characters like Pac-Man and Mega Man to more conteporary faces like Corrin or Shulk, it is indeed a dream match come true.

Not every single character that i wanted made it in. In fact only 5 that i wanted (:4feroy::4megaman::4mewtwo::4lucas::4littlemac:) made into the roster. However, i still appreciate what i got. Corrin's awesome, Bayonetta's awesome, Cloud's awesome, and so on and so on.

I will never forget all the users i met during this time, from Swampasaur to Chronobound to BKupa666 to Wintropy to Frostwraith, etc.....

It's been something special for me. I didn't get everything that i wanted, but i never expected that. I got what i needed, and what i needed was something that i could do while waiting for Smash 4's release and it's DLC.

Will i return when a hypothetical Smash 5 gets announced? Maybe, but i have different plans for now.

Thank you people, and thank you Sakurai.

-Speedwa-you know what, just call me Branko :).

Yeah i know, im begin a little too dramatic, but this was something really special for me.
Even Speedwagon is feeling sentimental!

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
This is the 25th anniversary of Fire Emblem.
Fates is doing very well in japan and will likely do well here thanks to Awakening's success.
Sakurai is a FE fanatic.
Smash and FE are practically intertwined, as Fire Emblem may not have been as successful if it wasn't for Smash introducing it to so many people.
They advertised Roy in Melee.

There really isn't anything "bull****" about this. I can understand not wanting Corrin, I certainly would have had other choices, but he looks SO much fun! People are getting way too angry about a single character... then again, what else is new?

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Everyone calling "Sakurai bias" on Corrin's inclusion should consider that a Nintendo exec might have requested his addition to boost Fates sales.
Where's the Nintendo exec looking to boost sales for every other upcoming Nintendo game?

Better advertise Xenoblade X, or StarFox Zero, or Zelda U, etc etc.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Objectively, all three characters look really fun. Particularly Bayonetta (even though I still feel really, really awkward about her next to little kids in the game (Ness, Lucas, Villager, Bowser Jr...), but perhaps I'm blowing that out of proportion) - what they aren't saying about her ability to extend her attacks to shoot her guns is that you can alter the timing of her combo strings to adjust for your opponent's damage %. No other character can do this, and while many characters have ways of racking up to 30% unanswered damage before combos stop working, Bayo has the potential to extend this threat to kill percent. I see her as a highly technical character with top-tier potential.

Subjectively...

Man, I don't even like Donkey Kong but it just feels wrong that FE gets so much more representation. It's now on par with Pokemon and Mario, and I don't get it. I also hate it when new characters prove me wrong when I like to think of Smash as a celebration of gaming history, but then it's used as an advertisement for a game that's not even out yet - and this isn't even the first time, nor is it the first time for this series.

Oh, and by the way... Thank you, Sakurai, for spoiling the final form of the avatar's sword before the game even came out. Seriously, what gives?

(I'm withholding my comments about Bayonetta... I've already alluded to the awkwardness I feel about her in the context of Smash, but after debating this with the g/f, I'm questioning that position and may decide I'd rather lighten up than join forces with a certain amiibo-obsessed individual we're not allowed to talk about but, rest assured, has already taken the same stance to ridiculous levels of crazy)

What I will say is that my misgivings about either character are not specifically about the characters themselves - frankly, I know nothing about either of them, and my initial reaction has little if anything to do with their qualities as a character. I hereby recognize that my kneejerk reactions are most likely flawed, and I will put forth the effort to try them both out and accept them for their individual strengths.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
How well did Bayonetta do on the Japanese polls?

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I'll put in my two cents on the Corrin matter:

I understand preferring another character, but I don't understand the hate. The game is not even out in most regions, so it's not like most of us even have reasons the hate the character himself/herself. I saw the character, thought to myself "Another FE character, huh?", and then thought "Oh, that looks cool."

Not an ounce of hate. There was a moment where I questioned the decision, but the gameplay removed the doubts I had. I don't know if I'll actually like the character, but that's what the training room is for.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Making a character annoying, angry-sounding, possessive, or prideful doesn't age them. That's not a mature mindset.
Ah, I thought you were talking about the voice/age-up.

That's actually not out of place for the character, she can be annoying and possessive in the Japanese version as well. Having said that, I'm tempted to think that she may be another Lucina case considering she didn't sound nearly as angry-sounding in the E3 direct.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Objectively, all three characters look really fun. Particularly Bayonetta (even though I still feel really, really awkward about her next to little kids in the game (Ness, Lucas, Villager, Bowser Jr...), but perhaps I'm blowing that out of proportion) - what they aren't saying about her ability to extend her combo hits to shoot her guns is that you can alter the timing of her combo strings to adjust for your opponent's damage %. No other character can do this, and while many characters have ways of racking up to 30% unanswered damage before combos stop working, Bayo has the potential to extend this threat to kill percent. I see her as a highly technical character with top-tier potential.

Subjectively... man, I don't even like Donkey Kong but it just feels wrong that FE gets so much more representation. It's now on par with Pokemon and Mario, and I don't get it. I also hate it when new characters prove me wrong when I like to think of Smash as a celebration of gaming history, but then it's used as an advertisement for a game that's not even out yet - and this isn't even the first time, nor is it the first time for this series.

Oh, and by the way... Thank you, Sakurai, for spoiling the final form of the avatar's sword before the game even came out. Seriously, what gives?

(I'm withholding my comments about Bayonetta... I've already alluded to the awkwardness I feel about her in the context of Smash, but after debating this with the g/f, I'm questioning that position and may decide I'd rather lighten up than join forces with a certain amiibo-obsessed individual we're not allowed to talk about but, rest assured, has already taken the same stance to ridiculous levels of crazy)
Trust me.... The Bayonetta fan-art is only going to get worse at this point.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
As someone who doesn't care much about FE, damn Kamui looks fun as hell. Picking her up as a secondary fo sure.

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
Why Corrin over Wolf?
It's because is more unique than Wolf or because FE Fates have 3 games and Star Fox Zero only one?
I'm not salty with Roy it's my favorite character but was a good decition?

Bayonetta over other third party ballot characters or Snake (veteran) could be more understandable than Corrin in this moment. Platinum helps Nintendo with Star Fox Zero.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I didn't mid Corrin but Robin makes him feel really redundant and Roy just makes you feel burned out when you see 6 Fire Emblem characters in the game. Triple the amount in Melee and Brawl.

That said I like the moveset of a aquatic dragon with a chainsaw sword but he's still a wannabe in my eyes
The original and the trendsetter is always better :4robinm:
Robin is also a wannabe. The original was Mark(The First with the Class of "Tactician") and the trendsetter was Kris, the one you could really customize and modify, but wasn't a Tactician. Heck, Kris was planned to be in Shadow Dragon before getting moved to the sequel. Robin was the one who made the Avatar Creator cool to everyone than just Japan. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

finalark

SNORLAX
Where's the Nintendo exec looking to boost sales for every other upcoming Nintendo game?

Better advertise Xenoblade X, or StarFox Zero, or Zelda U, etc etc.
Zelda U is going to sell because it's Zelda.

Star Fox Zero is currently floating around with a "coming soon" label, no reason to promote something so far from release.

Xenoblade could use some love.

FE Fates is getting an international release in the near future, I'm pretty sure the hope is that Corrin in Smash will boost those international numbers a little.

kylexv

Smash Master
Why Corrin over Wolf?
It's because is more unique than Wolf or because FE Fates have 3 games and Star Fox Zero only one?
I'm not salty with Roy it's my favorite character but was a good decition?

Bayonetta over other third party ballot characters or Snake (veteran) could be more understandable than Corrin in this moment. Platinum helps Nintendo with Star Fox Zero.
Probably the former. Although I do agree with you, choosing Corrin over many other popular and potentially more unique characters is quite controversial.

JuanHUM

Smash Cadet
NNID
JuanHUM
People are forgetting that sakurai did say " Of the character that people vote the mos realistic character in therm of copyrigth and negotation was bayoneta " he never say expliciti that bayoneta was the most voted or wanted character.

But really to mucho hype!! but really really disapointed for a new FE representation, thow i love his/her moveset, really this is the best smash bros.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
If anything, I'm more mad at the state my wallet is going to be in.

All the DLC, plus the eventual FF7 remake, FE Fates, and the Bayonetta two pack for the U.

If I want to actually like these characters outside of a fancy moveset, anyway.
Trust me.... The Bayonetta fan-art is only going to get worse at this point.
You mean better, right?
Be honest, is R-34 really even 'fan-art'?
I feel offended by this. :sadsheep:

D

Deleted member

Today(well, technically yesterday) was fun
I love seeing all this salt while I get hyped for Corrin
Too bad he only releases on February
Well, then, I'm out
And remember: this much salt isn't healthy, like, at all.

Fire Rider

Super Smash Gladiator
Probably the former. Although I do agree with you, choosing Corrin over many other popular and potentially more unique characters is quite controversial.
Agree, plus making a popular veteran could be cheaper in this moment than choose another FE character. Corrin looks really good.
So these things make me think that Sakurai wanted to do a rotation of characters, Nintendo forced him to create it or well he sees more important the future sucess of Fates over Zero.
It's like choose Ryu or Cloud over Bomberman, all with great legacy but the formers with vigence and AAA games soon (SFV and FFVII).

D

Deleted member

I'm skeptical about adding another Fire Emblem character, but hey, the character looks fun to play as, so I'll give that a pass. I was legit surprised when Bayonetta came up, like most of you here. Definitely going to try them out once they get released in February.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Ah yes, the biggest icons of gaming history:
:4bayonetta::4cloud::4mario::4pacman::4ryu::4sonic::4megaman:

:chuckle:
Mr. Platformer :4mario:
Mr. Sidescroller :4megaman:
Mr. Speed :4sonic:
Mr. Fighting Game :4ryu:
Mr. Arcade :4pacman:
Mr. JRPG :4cloud:
...Ms. "I like to brutally and fatally torture people and look attractive while doing so" :4bayonetta:

...Y'know, that last one doesn't really roll off the tongue :4pacman:
Speaking of Smilies
Bayonetta 1 Bayonetta, Advent Children Cloud and F!Corrin smilies please, Warchamp? :4pacman:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I know we make fun of him alot but man.I'm really happy for etika.For those who didn't know he's like corrin/kumai since day 1 and didn't for vote for him/her in the ballot because he thought it was unrealistic.
-1  Etika   HYPETRAIN   EtikaWNetwork    Twitter.png
Nice to see someone hype for this character

Shroob

Sup?
Mr. Platformer :4mario:
Mr. Sidescroller :4megaman:
Mr. Speed :4sonic:
Mr. Fighting Game :4ryu:
Mr. Arcade :4pacman:
Mr. JRPG :4cloud:
...Ms. "I like to brutally and fatally torture people and look attractive while doing so" :4bayonetta:

...Y'know, that last one doesn't really roll off the tongue :4pacman:
Speaking of Smilies
Bayonetta 1 Bayonetta, Advent Children Cloud and F!Corrin smilies please, Warchamp? :4pacman:
Although I'd say Dante fits the bill more, I guess for Smash, call her "Ms. Action."

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
I know we make fun of him alot but man.I'm really happy for etika.For those who didn't know he's like corrin/kumai since day 1 and didn't for vote for him/her in the ballot because he thought it was unrealistic.
Nice to see someone hype for this character
I'd be hyping for Corrin too, believe me
But the most hype you'll get out of me is Waluigi in Ultra Smash and you'll probably have to go looking for that post
I'm a mostly nonchillant person when it comes down too it :4pacman:

BandanaWaddleDee

Smash Lord
NNID
bdon25
3DS FC
1633-4187-3079
Switch FC
2967-5142-5603
Remember when Smash was a game about Nintendo characters? Good times.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just call her Ms Ballot Winner.

She didn't get in through history. She got in through popularity and requests.

Not a bad thing. Just what it is.

Shroob

Sup?
Remember when Smash was a game about Nintendo characters? Good times.
Oh boo hoo. You can be a debbie downer all you want, doesn't change the fact that the majority of people are either neutral or happy about these choices. I didn't get a handful of characters I wanted, but I'm not going to be a little ***** about it, because at the end of the day, it's a video game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom