• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Cloud is fun.

Corrin looks cool and unique but feels out of place IMO. Wouldn't feel as much so if he/she was announced before Cloud rather than a direct follow-up to him. And overall you can't really argue this is a super beloved character right now.

Bayonetta looks amazing and seems pulled straight from her game. She's a deserving ballot winner.

I was disappointed overall though in terms of the content seeming rather small overall. Like, compared to the 18 minute Ryu update, this had no content really. I guess they really put that many resources into Corrin and Bayonetta. Seriously, they get super cinematic Final Smashes.

But hey at least Rosalina looks great in the Waifu Emblem style.

Ok been modding my group so no time for reactions. Crashboards is over (mostly) so I can post now.

Enjoy my salt

So first we start out
Corrin

I have not played FE Fates. Im trying to learn the absolute minimum because I hate spoilers. You should know by now how I feel about reps. So that isn't why I dont care. I just know nothing about them and dont know if I can like them yet. Another counter is annoying as hell though. Everything else seems fine.

Plus vindication that Sakurai does not care for Reps. I've argued how little it matters and how little it should. Support who you want not what series you want ;)

Cloud:
Meh. No Mii costumes wasnt much of a surprise. Still dissapointed a bit though for no tifa or sephiroth references
Takamaru costume is awesome. Dont care for anyone else oter than maybe Tails. But he looks too derpy for me.

And then the kicker

Bayonetta:

I have about 4 or 5 characters I did not want that stood a chance
Impa, the Indies, probably someone im forgetting. . .and Bayonetta. The arguments about her and for her were infuriating and whenever people talked about her it just made more angry towards her. Hell for a split second seeing Pit made me think Viridi. Foolsih I know.

but we get this. Yes I am unhappy. This is the first time in ALL of smash I am unhappy about a character. I despise miis and ZSS but they were inevitable so I didnt care.

And this is ignoring the fact we got Bayontta as a character from Platinum before Red, Amaterasu, or Joe. Because they make even less sense and Reps dont work that way. Her stage isnt even legal and her moveset looks like it will be extremely frustrating to play against. :/

Worst part is my backlog is so long I wont be able to get Bayonetta for a long long time. And it's a game im super interested in being platinum. And it's been tainted a little

I also refuse to believe Bayonetta did legitimately super well in the ballot. Especially from a series that bombed so hard.

"Hey Zebei. . . Midgar only has two songs"
Yeah I know. . .are the remixes good though?
"No I mean there are literally only 2 songs. Nothing else"

****ing dammit. SE please. I know this has to be on your end. Why would you do this. **** me.

Yes this is the part where you laugh at my salt. Hope it makes your day a little better. Needed a quick vent and this is it :)

Plus I did better than expected in that final so w/e Just a vidya game and I go home tomorrow. Plus X is soon

Khoru

Smash Champion
wait did i miss it or did nobody post this

Last edited:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
The biggest take away from the direct:

"Big brother is now big sister."

"WHOA! Even better~"

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Looks like Dark Pit's side B got a (tiny) buff in damage. Chalk up one more difference.

Sakurai tweeted too

He has other new tweets as well but. . . you know. Japanese

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Looking through some posts, people are accusing Bayonetta of getting in only because of "bots spamming votes".

I don't even know what to say.

D

Deleted member

Hmmm.... Well, two topics to discuss that are going around.

1. I didn't see this coming from a mile away or anything crazy like that, I was VERY surprised. But hyped at the same time. With that being said though, I kind of forgot just how disrespectful and salty people can be. I mean, I get it, not going to say I've been there. I used to be a huge supporter of Ridley/ amd still do support the idea of him being in smash of some way. Buuut, I'd put it this way, no matter who gets in, the majority is always going to be upset. We're so split when it comes to character choices that it doesn't really even matter. Which is why personally I try to look into the light of these choices. So I've grown to enjoy pretty much every character, even ones I wasn't fond of at first.

2. I can understand why people see FE as overepresented. By numbers it is, but when I view it from a different angle, ehhh... Well, Marth and Ike couldn't really be removed, as they've become really, REALLY popular in smash, thus have become more so smash icons than FE ones.(Much like Captain Falcon.) Robin I'll give to ya. Lucina was going to be a Marth alt anyway thus doesn't even take anyone's place. Roy represents melee a lot more than FE. And then Corrin I'll give to ya. So half of them are really just there for the sake of returning because otherwise they don't really represent the modern FEs all that well. Regardless, though, eh, I don't care much for character representation anyway, to me, making them interesting is a lot more important.

*Teleports out*

Last edited by a moderator:

Das Koopa

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
NebulaMan
3DS FC
2938-7117-6800
Looking through some posts, people are accusing Bayonetta of getting in only because of "bots spamming votes".

I could post an image of salt but I don't think any image could adequately illustrate it.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

I mean... Even if that was the case, who says that the other fanbases didn't do that as well? Bias is what I call it.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
My favourite thing about Cloud is that the FFVII Victory Fanfare is not only his victory theme, but the "Results" portion from FFVII actually replaces the normal results theme.

This is an idea I dreamed of before Smash 4 was released, I even played around with it in Project M when I tried my hand at music importing. For example, I made Sonic's the Level Clear/Results theme from Sonic Lost World. And for Mario, I made it the "Grand Star Get" theme from Galaxy 2, followed by Rosalina's Comet Observatory as a peaceful results theme (because I love Galaxy).

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Oh my god they made all the summons Profile Icons for online. HELL yes.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If you'd have told me a week ago that I'd be defending Corrin's inclusion I'd have laughed. Hell, my last post before the broadcast actually had me saying that Corrin would be awful. But, here we go.

Surprising as it may seem coming from the President of Chrom's Fan Club, I actually don't think Corrin's a bad addition (though the timing could have been MUCH better). I was in the dark with Fates for a great long while, with the only things I knew being from trailers or the Treehouse. Likewise, the only thing I knew about Corrin was the Manakete thing. I didn't have any idea how they'd incorporate it though.

But seeing him in action, he's awesome. He has a chainsaw sword? That's badass. People can whine about The Legend of Zelda having less characters than Fire Emblem all they want, but the way I see it, The Legend of Zelda's good as it is. Characters aren't the only things that count toward representation. Five playable characters in the base game, five stages on the Wii U version, countless trophies and Smash Run enemies, several Assist Trophies, tons of items, and tons of music. It is by no means underrepresented. Compare this to Fire Emblem, which, while it has six characters, only has two stages (none of which are DLC), no Smash Run enemies, one Assist Trophy, no items, and very little non-Playable Character trophies on the Wii U (only Chrom, Lyn, and I think Elincia?).

Sure, Fire Emblem may have more characters, but as far as representation? It's far outweighed in this game by The Legend of Zelda. And it's not even a fair comparison when Fire Emblem has an ever-changing cast while The Legend of Zelda, at its core, is about the three parts of the Triforce, so to speak.

Chrom fan defending Corrin. Still confused about that. :p

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
In terms of the characters while I didn't want them.
I'll give them a shot at least.
The demo for Bayonetta 2 Demo was fun at least from what I played even though I own the game and haven't played it at all yet.
I am disappointed that wolf didn't get to return.
But in the end I got my main back and unexpected pair of secondary's.
:4lucas::4feroy::4mewtwo:
I am admittedly pretty disappointed with Corrin. I'm not one of thos "2 much animoo for Smash" guys, but c'mon, six Fire Emblem characters? It honestly just feels like advertising.

On a more positive note, can we appreciate the Tails' costume adorable little gun.
View attachment 87732
Call me salty about this costume.

Another missed opportunity from Battle.

Last edited:

Chrono.

Oh lmao
Cloud's Trophy has FF7 spoilers.
Like I know it's a decade old game but it's kinda hilarious in the advent of the remake

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Ok time for me to post here, you may have saw my take in either sourcecast's chat or the IRC one.

The broadcast opened with Corrin. As it started I went damn it Sakurai. But I couldn't get salty, that moveset and setup is awesome. I really can't hate corrin for that reason. And for all the salty people who are against, FE is on of the biggest Nintendo Franchises to date. It's massive support and following truly earns it's representation in smash. So there really shouldn't be complaints. Plus they are unique and a lot of effort was clearly put in. I'm happy for the fans. Sure going out with an FE character may not have been best but it also makes sense. Popular franchise, easy promotion( which that rule is now non existent), and a unique fighter. Can't say I'm to upset by this

The rest of the Direct was great. I love the costumes, trophies, and how you could see Sakurai was so happy to finally finish and show his masterpiece to the fans. The costumes were great, especially the Mario RPG love. To bad for no music though, but that makes sense.

Now onto to the Finally Climax:

Bayonetta truly had me go WTF HOW!? But not in a bad way I was shocked that she made it in. But the work and moveset is really good. She seems like she could be top tier if used right. I love the character they gave her, without breaking the games rating and using her more mature dialogue. They still stuck right to the character though, which I have to give them credit for. The trailer set up was genius though! Using Kid iccarus to tell the story made a lot of sense. The taunts and everything are great. I look forward to maining her. Bayonett may not be massively popular but I think all things consider( Nintendo Publishing it, and more) she makes a lot of sense as a Smash character. Truly happily for her fans and to have her. I honestly can't see her or the other 3rd parties getting cut either. Next Smash will truly be insane in terms of roster placement.

And good job to fumi chan for predicting them. However I have to say my brother actually predicted both. He kept saying this smash how bayoneta would get in, and yesterday he called a FE character. I was like that won't happen, and then it did! I was like WHAT! He didn't pick up that was bayonetta in the trailer before me though.

Overall I will miss Wolf, but with all the love and effort put in, I can't complain. Thank you Sakurai for all you have done! You've made a truly amazing game! Now go take a long rest!
And Burb Burb is usually negative and actual likes this(it seems) and he's not complaining, so honestly the complaints are BS. ( also not trying to make fun of you or anything like that Burb)

Oh and this is what Bayoneta does to smashboards:
Screenshot (39).png

jahkzheng

Smash Lord

Meanwhile in Mario Maker...
I always thought Monster Hunter should at least have a felyne assist trophy, since the series is really huge on the system now and everyone loves felynes. Perhaps next Smash. Smash really has the "good problem" of having just so much they can pull content from.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
It's hilarious seeing Cloud, whose game came out on a rival's system after a fallout on N64 limitations, in All-Star mode of the year......1998?!?!?

This isn't right. FF7 was 97, and OOT was 1998, what the hell,

Burb

The Absolute Worst
And Burb Burb is usually negative and actual likes this(it seems) and he's not complaining, so honestly the complaints are BS. ( also not trying to make fun of you or anything like that Burb)
I don't usually complain about stuff actually put into the games. My issues are usually 100% with the fandom and the goofy theories that come out of it.

Babycowland

Smash Journeyman
I never thought my favorite character from the second set of DLC fighters was going to be Cloud, but it looks like that's probably how things are going to shake out, haha. He actually looks pretty interesting from the little I've played of him so far. And I'm looking forward to making some Tails, Knuckles, and Geno mii fighters too. That should be fun.

Congrats to all you Corrin and Bayonetta fans out there. I know how awesome it is for a character you adore to make it into Smash (I was super hyped when Olimar got in) and I'm glad you all get to experience that feeling too.

Last edited:

tsvlink25

Smash Apprentice
NNID
tsvlink25
3DS FC
1719-3628-9238
In all honesty, I'm not even salty that I didn't get any of the characters I wanted.
:4cloud: already seemed amazing.
:4corrin: Just looks plain awesome, and I'm excited for when he releases.
:4bayonetta: Looks really cool, but hard to play imo.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

Being unique played a big role in the character decision process (not really that surprising since all the newcomers in the game felt like that).

Last edited:

jahkzheng

Smash Lord
Ok time for me to post here, you may have saw my take in either sourcecast's chat or the IRC one.

The broadcast opened with Corrin. As it started I went damn it Sakurai. But I couldn't get salty, that moveset and setup is awesome. I really can't hate corrin for that reason. And for all the salty people who are against, FE is on of the biggest Nintendo Franchises to date. It's massive support and following truly earns it's representation in smash. So there really shouldn't be complaints. Plus they are unique and a lot of effort was clearly put in. I'm happy for the fans. Sure going out with an FE character may not have been best but it also makes sense. Popular franchise, easy promotion( which that rule is now non existent), and a unique fighter. Can't say I'm to upset by this

The rest of the Direct was great. I love the costumes, trophies, and how you could see Sakurai was so happy to finally finish and show his masterpiece to the fans. The costumes were great, especially the Mario RPG love. To bad for no music though, but that makes sense.

Now onto to the Finally Climax:

Bayonetta truly had me go WTF HOW!? But not in a bad way I was shocked that she made it in. But the work and moveset is really good. She seems like she could be top tier if used right. I love the character they gave her, without breaking the games rating and using her more mature dialogue. They still stuck right to the character though, which I have to give them credit for. The trailer set up was genius though! Using Kid iccarus to tell the story made a lot of sense. The taunts and everything are great. I look forward to maining her. Bayonett may not be massively popular but I think all things consider( Nintendo Publishing it, and more) she makes a lot of sense as a Smash character. Truly happily for her fans and to have her. I honestly can't see her or the other 3rd parties getting cut either. Next Smash will truly be insane in terms of roster placement.

And good job to fumi chan for predicting them. However I have to say my brother actually predicted both. He kept saying this smash how bayoneta would get in, and yesterday he called a FE character. I was like that won't happen, and then it did! I was like WHAT! He didn't pick up that was bayonetta in the trailer before me though.

Overall I will miss Wolf, but with all the love and effort put in, I can't complain. Thank you Sakurai for all you have done! You've made a truly amazing game! Now go take a long rest!

Oh and this is what Bayoneta does to smashboards:
Looks like witchcraft alright~

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Here's my reaction. Hope you all enjoy :) Purposely avoided over-doing anything. As that can be annoying. I was honestly confused at both characters

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
User was warned for this post
About the direct...
I was done with this game before and I had almost no hype.
I'm mad anyway....[ What I said there was incredibly stupid, so I'm erasing to reduce damage.]

-------------------------------
This game is quite good gameplay wise. I respect and play because this.
Midgar is awesome!
I'm happy with Sheik not being hard nerfed, and I think this new characters have high tier potential.
In the end... I will play some Smash while I cry about it.
(And pay this **** options that Sakurai made with DLC)

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I was checking the character sub forum when

"Literally who wanted this"
Still doesn't beat the old thread in the Shulk subforum that said that his voice sounded and I quote "********" because British. :laugh:

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
About the direct...
I was done with this game before and I had almost no hype.
I'm mad anyway.... I don't care if they looks good, or worth, I want every single person who mains one of this three characters to die painfully.
Dude.

It's not that serious. Chill.

D

Deleted member

Ugh, I really hate my luck. Of course I forgot my 3ds at my Dad's house.... And then, I can't really set my Wii U up here because my Mom's doing some house work at my aunt's. And then, when she gets back, I think she'll be too stubborn to allow me to set the wii u up.... But whatever, I'll ask anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom