• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
And then reality ensued (and to think Cloud was the one to get in...).
Eh, I would've believed Cloud before I'd believe Geno or Ridley.

One of my main arguments against Geno's inclusion has always been that I feel other Square-owned characters would take priority over him (as well as plenty of Mario characters who still aren't playable). Granted, I assumed they'd go with a more generic FF1 style character, or Slime from Dragon Quest.

Ridley's one of the few characters who's reason for exclusion was made public. That combined with his already defined in-game role places him on the highest tier of impossibility as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Where do we go from here though? Etrian Odyssey, some weeb anime, Bubsy, Mister Marker, etc.
You just reminded me that I haven't weebed over EO in the past few days!
So, have you heard of our lord and savior, the great Axolotl?
Then again, there's Star Wars this week and I've been finally catching up on some shows I had to watch
One Weeb Man, Star Wars Not!The Clone Wars and Pokemon RWBY

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Eh, I would've believed Cloud before I'd believe Geno or Ridley.
Perhaps adding context would have made more sense for the statement, but I'm more or less commenting on how, with the exception of Cloud (who was seen as a joke suggestion for several years), every single one of these characters were once considered 'front-runner prospects' to be included as fighters (with Geno's popularity, in particular, being inexplicably high). Here we are, with Cloud arriving before any of them.

It's another example of how often tunnel vision works within the speculation community's field of vision. Although, to be fair, Cloud really was a completely unexpected choice, even if arbitrary fan-rules played a part.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
What does it matter it being a port or not? Matter of fact is a franchise owned by Microsoft is on a Nintendo platform. Not only a franchise but the actual same game, a game that is supposed to appeal to Nintendo's demographic and is a way to get clients from Nintendo...

Yet advertising through including Banjo (and not allowing them to actually make games about him) is out of the table?

You guys have to remember that they aren't giving the rights to the other games. They are giving the rights to using the char for an already stablished game. It's basically an advertising campaign for them and they also probably get payed royalty for the DLC and Amiibo plus get something out of Nintendo. It's literally win in every sense to any company doing it.
Yeah but you're advertising a franchise, on another company's system where you would probably make less money that what you make when doing first party character is less expensive with where you'll get more money for it.

It's like when Rare had GBA games of Banjo and Conker. They were probably in development before the buyout and was just released around that buyout.

I still can't believe yesterday we had Geno and Ridley discussions and we also went from "KH's story is stupid" to "where do babies come from?"
You also forgot the argument over Ike's moveset with him having no projectile

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Perhaps adding context would have made more sense for the statement, but I'm more or less commenting on how, with the exception of Cloud (who was seen as a joke suggestion for several years), every single one of these characters were once considered 'front-runner prospects' to be included as fighters (with Geno's popularity, in particular, being inexplicably high). Here we are, with Cloud arriving before any of them.

It's another example of how often tunnel vision works within the speculation community's field of vision. Although, to be fair, Cloud really was a completely unexpected choice, even if arbitrary fan-rules played a part.
......Nope, pre-Brawl, my opinion on Geno was the same. I've always felt that if Square were involved in anything Smash-related, it would be regarding their own IPs and not SMRPG.

Point taken with Ridley, though. At least up until the Smash Direct with the infamous "Other boss character appearances" shadow tease. After that point, yeah, I probably would've said Cloud's more likely seeing as how I took that as a complete disconfirmation for Ridley.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I know I said I'd be scarce till tomorrow but... Man, I've only just come to realize the implications of all of this...

Smash 4 is going to be done soon. Updates and DLC will cease, and once again the series and speculation will go to sleep for another 5 years... if it even continues this time. I feel I can say for sure this is the last time Sakurai himself will work on the game. We're almost done here. The Roster is going to be full, and the game as balanced as the team is willing to make it.

I still remember getting Smash 64 for my 8th birthday... Was at a big old arcade/bowling alley called Fat City, and my Mom's best friend picked it up for me because it had Mario on it. I barely even knew what it was, and I only really recognized the Mario cast and Pokemon, I thought Ness was a Pokemon Trainer, I may have played some Kirby Crystal Shards from a Blockbuster rental, don't really remember. I didn't even care for most of the characters, I only ever played as Mario or Luigi. That was with only 12 characters. I wasn't even able to get Melee until around 2004, but I rented it almost every chance I had.

We're almost to 60 fighters now, and there isn't a single fighter in Smash whose game series I haven't played. More than half of which I would have never even CONSIDERED trying without Smash. This game really has had an impact on my gaming life that I'll always be grateful for, and I'll never forget. If Smash does continue after this, then I'm going to be somewhere around 26 or 28... That's scary. Am I even going to be in a position to play it at that point? 5 years is a long time...

I don't even care if tomorrow ends up bringing nothing but dissapointment. Smash has done more good for me than any game could possibly have done. That friend of my moms has been through so much since then... Her son, my friend, committed suicide, she got divorced, she's struggling with her job and so much else... But she's still smiling every time I see her. One of the sweetest people I've ever had the pleasure of connecting with. I feel like I need to do something for her now, something to thank her. Because if she hadn't bought Smash 64 on a whim for me like she did, I dunno where I'd be today.

Let's get on that hype train, folks. The end of the line is near. Whatever happens, just try to remember why we're all here to begin with.

Last edited:

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
If there is anything leaked after maintenance today... than don't blame anyone in this community.

Blame Nintendo and the Smash dev team for not fixing their mistakes.

It'd be very sad if they let the same mistake happen twice. And the only ones to point fingers at are them. Nintendo's infamous for poor online features/optimization. The fact that they had Twilight Princess HD leak from their Eshop is pretty sad. And I'd eb disappointed if they somehow let it happen with Smash again.

It'd be pretty sad.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
......Nope, pre-Brawl, my opinion on Geno was the same. I've always felt that if Square were involved in anything Smash-related, it would be regarding their own IPs and not SMRPG.
Whoops, I should have also clarified when you responded to my original statement, my own response was referring to your post as a whole - I made the mistake of only using a snippet, therefore leaving the implication my response was about what you may have thought about these character's chances, not what I originally meant with the fan-base at large. I'm not saying you would have thought Geno was likely, but that other people did.

EDIT:
Double whoops, your own original statement referred to what you would have thought at the time, not what I thought. I made a mistake, ignore what I have said thus far.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If there is anything leaked after maintenance today... than don't blame anyone in this community.

It'd be very sad if they let the same mistake happen twice. And the only ones to point fingers at are them. Nintendo's infamous for poor online features/optimization. The fact that they had Twilight Princess HD leak from their Eshop is pretty sad. And I'd eb disappointed if they somehow let it happen with Smash again.

It'd be pretty sad.
I don't see why we should blame Nintendo
They don't HAVE to fix their "mistakes"
No one should be digging through the files in the first place.

I saw someone suggest Order of no Quarter amiibo for Shovel Knight. That'd actually be cool as hell!
>Specter Knight amiibo
>Tinker Knight's Giant Mecha amiibo
>Polar Knight amiibo
>Propeller Knight amiibo
Good-bye money

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I've been playing Final Fantasy Record Keeper for a while and it's enjoyable. The main downside to this the slow interface and navigating menu after menu to get to where I want.

Well now there was a massive update that overhauled the menu. Now it's faster and there's a lot less menus to navigate through now.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

>Specter Knight amiibo
>Tinker Knight's Giant Mecha amiibo
>Polar Knight amiibo
>Propeller Knight amiibo
Good-bye money
I doubt they'd do the Tinker Tank, though Specter Knight is a must if they're doing more than Shovel Knight due to his immense popularity

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
That's silly to assume that one shouldn't be digging through files. They want to find stuff out. It's Nintendo's fault if they can't manage to keep a good lid on it like most other video game companies of their size.

By that logic then Project M must be an awful thing. Which would be a silly ideology.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Real talk, i am actually happy that the direct come out tomorrow.
Because all those "leak" make time slow for me.
Torialwut1.png

I hate rumor.
Also, who here live in French and is going to watch the direct at like 23:00?
Tell me i am not the only one please. : (

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

It'd be pretty sad.
Sure Nintendo could do this, but let's be honest it be just as much the fans fault as it is Nintendo. The files aren't suppose to be there to just be datamined, and the fans don't have to datamine it. They are just giving into personal desires a that point. It's not something they should really be doing anyway. So it's an equal fault between both parties.

Shroob

Sup?
Does anyone even know if Smash was part of last night's or tonight's maintenance?

So far, I'm hearing it's not.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Does anyone even know if Smash was part of last night's or tonight's maintenance?

So far, I'm hearing it's not.
As far as I'm concerned, it isn't. I played Smash 3ds online during the matinance period last night without any trouble. The matinance today is definitely not Smash related.

Was the Eshop down though? Didn't check that.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
In Yokai Watch 2, apparently one of the foods is Chocobo

Shroob

Sup?
As far as I'm concerned, it isn't. I played Smash 3ds online during the matinance period last night without any trouble. The matinance today is definitely not Smash related.

Was the Eshop down though? Didn't check that.
This is starting to sound like "Cloud will be released early next year"

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Nope, me and a few friends have the day off so we're watching it together ^-^
So good for you.
Bad time for me.
186.png

Seriously, i hate that i have to use my computer when everyone is sleeping for watching the direct. This was the case last time, and my connexion just sucked! So i hope my internet will be atleast decent. >_>

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Nothing leaked yet. Just pure excitement for tomorrow!

D

Deleted member

That's silly to assume that one shouldn't be digging through files. They want to find stuff out. It's Nintendo's fault if they can't manage to keep a good lid on it like most other video game companies of their size.

By that logic then Project M must be an awful thing. Which would be a silly ideology.
Files weren't made to be datamined
The fans did it and it's their fault stuff was leaked.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Felt I could give this a plug here. :p

Any of you familiar with the Brawl in the Family forums enough to know/remember BitF Trail? If yes, you should sign up for this game in the Forum Games section, since Smashboards is getting in on it now. If you haven't heard of it, basically think of a forum version of The Oregon Trail. It should be fun. :D

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
Speaking of leaks...
This is the only Smash Leak I will ever need!

I really hope this doesn't count as spam or anything like that. I just wanted to share since I laughed at how horribly random it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom