• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Swamp's Social Thread 3 - And now, the end is near, and so I face the final curtain...

Should we add a poll to the thread?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I'd say it's the worst.
Being able to vote for the characters you want is great!

It was so open-ended, though. Nintendo didn't give you one choice, Nintendo didn't limit which characters you could vote for, Nintendo didn't speak on whether or not there would be a winner. It caused utter chaos.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
RIP banjo in smash
Well he could still happen, he's just incredibly unlikely now. Either way I'm really curious as to who will sow up in the broadcast with the recent news and interviews.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
RIP banjo in smash
To be fair Rare Replay did contain some games that were pretty much only on XBox systems, so it's understandable and was a pipe dream.

Plus you know, no one wanted Rare Replay on Wii U. They just wanted the Banjo games on Wii U.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Being able to vote for the characters you want is great!

It was so open-ended, though. Nintendo didn't give you one choice, Nintendo didn't limit which characters you could vote for, Nintendo didn't speak on whether or not there would be a winner. It caused utter chaos.
I think Sakurai underestimated the foreign fanbase. It's been done for every game in Japanese without this much drama AFAIK.

Maybe underestimate is the wrong word, but I don't think they thought it would get so feverish.

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
So I restarted Undertale after messing up the Genocide route. So I go back and do it correctly and then I meet up with the first boss.

AAAnnnd I one shot her. Like out of nowhere.

Ok. This game. I think I can somewhat see the appeal now. I mentioned before how this game likes to constantly break the rules.

Well, little did I know, it REALLY likes to break the rules. One of the major things being is how saving and resetting works. Resetting isn't just some undo button. The game remembers the mistakes and triumphs you made no matter what you do.

Now, just because I see the appeal, doesn't mean I am with the people who enjoy it that much.

Sure, it is interesting, but I'd much rather have consistency.

There is only one way in game to reset most things and even then you don't reset all of them. There is like one major thing it won't reset.
There's a history book in the game that explains that if a monster lets its guard down, you can do significantly more damage. Try 'sparing' her until she stops attacking you, and see what happens when you attack her then...

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
The Undertale fanbase has been pretty nice in general tho. The biggest and friendliest gaming community I know.
Well yeah, but the Happy Happyists were pretty friendly until you said no to their philosophy, too. :troll:

OK, sorry, I know I said I'd stop dissing Undertale but these jokes make themselves.

D

Deleted member

The Happiny's trainer gives out 1255 exp. plus 522 from his Elekid
I'mma grind the hell out of him

In other news, this is a thing

Last edited by a moderator:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I think Sakurai underestimated the foreign fanbase. It's been done for every game in Japanese without this much drama AFAIK.

Maybe underestimate is the wrong word, but I don't think they thought it would get so feverish.
Are the Japanese as "meme-y" on the internet as we are? I'm not sure how to phrase that.

English speakers tend to like and do really stupid things on the internet. Maybe the Japanese are more subdued.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Just curious, how did the Japanese react to the ballot?

May seem like I'm stereotyping, but they do come off as more level-headed in regards to this stuff. The announcements and such are done in a more formal tone than Western counterparts, based on my (very limited) understanding of Japanese.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Wait, how exactly does Rare saying that Rare Replay isn't coming to Wii U effect Banjo's chances for Smash?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I think the ballot was hit or miss.

On paper it sounds great. Letting your adoring fans vote for who they want you get their money in return. It's a win/win situation.

On the other hand... Well... Just look at the Internet. We've turned this into some kind of competition, and an all-out war for something as simple as freaking voting.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
This might be a little off-topic, but I just found out about this weird game called Agario.
. The lets player is relatively small and maybe trying a little bit too much, but the gameplay is pretty hilarious XD.
I enjoy this game, but not lately - now it refuses to connect me to its servers unless I disable my firewall and active antivirus.

Nooooo thanks.

I dont think we can really tell the positive outcome of the ballot until we get any and all ballot characters :/

Because right now the only thing it has given us is rage and maybe Cloud. We'll see hoe people feel about the ballot after tomorrow :p

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Wait, how exactly does Rare saying that Rare Replay isn't coming to Wii U effect Banjo's chances for Smash?
My guess is since it has banjo games, and it's not coming to Wii U, then why have Banjo in Smash if a deal couldn't be made for the rare reply, thus no Deal for Banjo happened.

Chrono.

I dont think we can really tell the positive outcome of the ballot until we get any and all ballot characters :/

Because right now the only thing it has given us is rage and maybe Cloud. We'll see hoe people feel about the ballot after tomorrow :p
Ehh freaking K.Rool and Isaac could be confirmed tomorrow and I'd still say the Ballot was the worst thing for Smash speculation.

Also
We'll see hoe people
:p

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
To be fair Rare Replay did contain some games that were pretty much only on XBox systems, so it's understandable and was a pipe dream.

Plus you know, no one wanted Rare Replay on Wii U. They just wanted the Banjo, Conker, Goldeneye, Killer Instinct and Battletoads games on Wii U.

Fixed it for you. Not like Rare doesn't have other games that were on SNES and N64

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Are the Japanese as "meme-y" on the internet as we are? I'm not sure how to phrase that.

English speakers tend to like and do really stupid things on the internet. Maybe the Japanese are more subdued.
Oh there's part of that, but I feel like it's 100X more in English. I learned some strange memes/ references from doing that Perception of Japanese DLC on Japan articles. They didn't get a lot of votes, but they were there.

Frostwraith Frostwraith :
People were excited and I've some a lot of art about the ballot. But I wonder if it has to do with the different ways people approach to being online.

In Japan it's very common to be anonymous, so no one really builds their own reputation. Of course exceptions exist.

For some people in the English speaking side the reputation of being a ____ fan could implore them to support that character more feverish, even in the face of common sense. Hype culture feels stronger in the West too.

That coupled with the lack of accurate information before SG has meant a lot of myths and misinformation have existed in thr Smash fanbase which propels the hype culture IMO.

Just a theory, I'm not sure myself.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
It doesn't, people are of course (like always) exaggerating things.

Banjo Kazooie in Smash and Rare Replay coming to the Wii U are two completely different beasts.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
My guess is since it has banjo games, and it's not coming to Wii U, then why have Banjo in Smash if a deal couldn't be made for the rare reply, thus no Deal for Banjo happened.
Oh ok. I guess Cloud and Ryu aren't in Smash either then. Wait... it's almost as if games being exclusive to other platforms doesn't matter. Can it be?

Last edited:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
Your reaction if:

Cloud, Ridley, Geno, Isaac, King K Rool all got revealed
And then reality ensued (and to think Cloud was the one to get in...).

As for the ballot, I think it's a great idea - the ability to directly influence a fighter inclusion firsthand should be. It's not Iwata's fault some of the Smash fan-base can be rabid jackals, so I'm not going to let them ruin the anticipatory excitement for me.

Last edited:
Ehh freaking K.Rool and Isaac could be confirmed tomorrow and I'd still say the Ballot was the worst thing for Smash speculation.

Also

:p
This is why when my premium is running out im changing my title to "Typo Master"

And now I refuse to fix dat hoe because it's too funny and i've already been called out :p

(based on people calling me out about Banjo I guess I need to start adding more Kappas to my posts. . .)

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Oh ok. I guess Cloud and Ryu aren't in Smash either ten. Wait... it's almost as if games being exclusive to other platforms doesn't matter. Can it be?
True, honestly I don't think it truly affects it other then possibly hinting that they aren't working with Rare, which means no banjo. We will know for sure anyway tomorrow.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Frostwraith Frostwraith :
People were excited and I've some a lot of art about the ballot. But I wonder if it has to do with the different ways people approach to being online.

In Japan it's very common to be anonymous, so no one really builds their own reputation. Of course exceptions exist.

For some people in the English speaking side the reputation of being a ____ fan could implore them to support that character more feverish, even in the face of common sense. Hype culture feels stronger in the West too.

That coupled with the lack of accurate information before SG has meant a lot of myths and misinformation have existed in thr Smash fanbase which propels the hype culture IMO.

Just a theory, I'm not sure myself.
I see. Cultural differences exist on the Internet and people prefer complete anonymity over building an online identity.

Guess that explains the bigger prevalence of imageboards (like 2ch) over there.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
This is why when my premium is running out im changing my title to "Typo Master"

And now I refuse to fix dat hoe because it's too funny and i've already been called out :p

(based on people calling me out about Banjo I guess I need to start adding more Kappas to my posts. . .)
I already told you, i know the typo language more than you :)

I am the typo master :)

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Your reaction if:

Cloud, Ridley, Geno, Isaac, King K Rool all got revealed
The Internet collectively would die, Geno Boost would be screaming in the streets, and I would be indifferent to it all.

Honestly, the DLC discussion thread's getting boring as ****, arguing about Geno or Banjo every other day
It's not like we're any better.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Oh ok. I guess Cloud and Ryu aren't in Smash either then. Wait... it's almost as if games being exclusive to other platforms doesn't matter. Can it be?
To be fair, Street Fighter is a franchise that has been on every platform known to man and has sold well on multiple platforms, just because SFV is exclusive to PS4 doesn't mean every other SF game is on PS systems forever or Capcom fighters in general.

And Final Fantasy 7 Remake is just FIRST on PS4, which means every other platform can get it as well when it comes out. (Which is why I can pick it up on Xbox One once it comes out then)

Plus Square-Enix and Capcom are Third-Party publishers, Rare is own by Microsoft which is Nintendo's competition, you know that thing people forget and Minecraft Wii U is just a port (a lazy one which is more expensive than the Vita/360/PS3version for no reason) considering it was probably planned a long while but the buyout happened and it hurt the port at the time

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Since we are discussing Banjo, it's time for the conclusion to my polls:

http://strawpoll.me/6266600

http://strawpoll.me/6266618

I decided to do two today instead of having one tomorrow. Simple questions.

They are do you think a 1st Party newcomer will happen,

and Do you think another 3rd party will show up?

And if so, who do you expect and who do you want?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
To be fair, Street Fighter is a franchise that has been on every platform known to man and has sold well on multiple platforms, just because SFV is exclusive to PS4 doesn't mean every other SF game is on PS systems forever or Capcom fighters in general.

And Final Fantasy 7 Remake is just FIRST on PS4, which means every other platform can get it as well when it comes out. (Which is why I can pick it up on Xbox One once it comes out then)

Plus Square-Enix and Capcom are Third-Party publishers, Rare is own by Microsoft which is Nintendo's competition, you know that thing people forget and Minecraft Wii U is just a port (a lazy one which is more expensive than the Vita/360/PS3version for no reason) considering it was probably planned a long while but the buyout happened and it hurt the port at the time

What does it matter it being a port or not? Matter of fact is a franchise owned by Microsoft is on a Nintendo platform. Not only a franchise but the actual same game, a game that is supposed to appeal to Nintendo's demographic and is a way to get clients from Nintendo...

Yet advertising through including Banjo (and not allowing them to actually make games about him) is out of the table?

You guys have to remember that they aren't giving the rights to the other games. They are giving the rights to using the char for an already stablished game. It's basically an advertising campaign for them and they also probably get payed royalty for the DLC and Amiibo plus get something out of Nintendo. It's literally win in every sense to any company doing it.

Ivander

Smash Legend
I'd say the ballot is the best thing to happen to Smash speculation.
Certainly the best and the worst. Well, I certainly enjoyed the heat among the people treating it like an actual ballot. Makes it more fun to see when hopes are crushed the next day.
In other news, this is a thing
The future is going to be grand, ain't it? Soon we'll have Avatars that will accurately show our real-life expressions, making it all the easier to see if we're annoying people and whatnot.

Still, only one day left. The anticipation is getting to me greatly. The day that will crush dreams is almost here. And it's going to be awesome!

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I can't believe we are just over 24 hours away from the Final Direct.
Feels like only yesterday I was skimming Miiverse for the newest POTD's.
Only now do I realise how much I will miss the speculation.
But I am so thankful that I got to be apart of it :)
Thank you Sakurai, Iwata, the smash team and everyone who helped with these games through out the years.
Some of the best games to ever come into existence.
:luigi64::mario64::dk64::link64::samus64::falcon64:
:ness64::yoshi64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::jigglypuff64:
:luigimelee::mariomelee::dkmelee::linkmelee::samusmelee::falconmelee:
:nessmelee::yoshimelee::kirbymelee::foxmelee::pikachumelee::jigglypuffmelee:
:luigi2::mario2::dk2::link2::samus2::falcon:
:ness2::yoshi2::kirby2::fox::pikachu2::jigglypuff:
:4luigi::4mario::4dk::4link::4samus::4falcon:
:4ness::4yoshi::4kirby::4fox::4pikachu::4jigglypuff:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
On a side note: As the Direct gets closer and closer, and I'm still open for new participants in my little bet. Just tag me saying you want to join and I'll put you in.

Bet:
  • Users pick on who will get revealed in the Final Smash Bros Direct.
  • The winner(s) are the ones who get their character revealed in said Direct.
  • Winner(s) choose the loser(s) avatar for a week.

Rules:
  • One character only.
  • You can pick a character someone else has already chosen.
  • Characters can be changed freely until the Direct starts. When the Direct begins, every pick is locked.

The future is going to be grand, ain't it? Soon we'll have Avatars that will accurately show our real-life expressions, making it all the easier to see if we're annoying people and whatnot.
Well good luck trying to give a Substitute emotions. Whoever will do that needs it.

Coricus

Woom-em-my?
Switch FC
SW 4794 7152 2904
Thank you Sakurai, Iwata, the smash team and everyone who helped with these games through out the years.
Everything in life has it's own poetic cycles. Soon we will enter the same kind of environment I first entered this fandom in, only for a new round of announcements to begin speculation anew.

This is not the end. It's just that the beginning is about to begin again.

D

Deleted member

I still can't believe yesterday we had Geno and Ridley discussions and we also went from "KH's story is stupid" to "where do babies come from?"

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
It was a long journey, but at the end. No matter the dissapointement or the salt. It was still a journey filled with hype and good speculation (before.). But now, the Hype Train is going to a last ride. But a damn good one! Sakurai, Iwata, and every people in the Smash Team.

Thank you again for made the impossible, possible. :)

Last edited:

OmniGuardian

Smash Cadet
Only character reveal that could generate more hype than Cloud is..... Goku! His trailer video will be him using the Dragon Balls to wish he could fight the strongest people from all universes and then he ends up in smash!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom